Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mgr2 is going to happen, that's a certainty. both platinum games and hideo kojima were extremely happy with how the game turned out, and it sold well too. the only question is when it'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kojima said he wanted Rising 2 to be about Gray Fox fighting nanomachine zombies but he offered to write it for Platinum and they were all "thanks but no thanks".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sounds amazing.
"Dok set my pain inhibitors to AMPLIFY."

QTEs where he throws away the sword and starts hedbutting people mercilessly.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kojima said he wanted Rising 2 to be about Gray Fox fighting nanomachine zombies but he offered to write it for Platinum and they were all "thanks but no thanks".

Kojima's too crazy for Platinum :allears:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Decent player streaming it here - http://www.twitch.tv/haokuaidejian

The turbo mode change seems to add a lot, and I like the lockon giving enemy health indicators.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The entire 23-page change log is here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New DmC trailer with a new tease of the DMC4 SE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uwXphKobMw

EDIT: The Compilation Artbook has also gone up for pre order. Is released on July 29

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 10, 2015

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I'll be somewhat upset if DMC4SE doesn't come to PC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GUI posted:

The entire 23-page change log is here.

Some of those changes are a bit weird. "Removed the need for Dante to be in Devil Trigger in order to defeat Vergil" makes me wonder if people got confused or stuck on that.

It looks like they made a bunch of unskippable cutscenes skippable tho'.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That trailer is pretty good I must admit.

Peewi posted:

I'll be somewhat upset if DMC4SE doesn't come to PC.

It's been rated for the pc.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

RBX posted:

It's been rated for the pc.

Oh cool, I did not know. I just remember seeing a teaser with Xbone and PS4 logos.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Some of those changes are a bit weird. "Removed the need for Dante to be in Devil Trigger in order to defeat Vergil" makes me wonder if people got confused or stuck on that.

I did, but only because Devil Trigger was so useless in that game, and the fight was perfectly manageable without it. I assumed there was some other trick to defeating him, like dealing damage quickly enough that he didn't get a chance to recover.

It's hard to believe how often this mechanic has been badly implemented, considering how Devil May Cry 1 did it perfectly. Even the later games screw up by giving it to you a third of the way through the game, rather than in the second mission. DMC1's recharges quickly with combat and taunting, can be switched off at any time, doesn't interrupt your combo, enables new moves, and reduces hitstun although doesn't make you invincible.

God Hand has a different take on it, which works really well for its combat system. It makes you invincible, but you have to use a certain chunk of your meter. You attack more quickly, and equipping fast or multi-hit moves almost guarantees that you'll be able to stun the enemy while you're pummeling them with the God Hand. You can't regain it by taunting (that's for exploiting enemy awareness ranges by taunting just close enough so that only one enemy in a group decides to attack you) but you can get a very slow move that can charge it significantly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I did, but only because Devil Trigger was so useless in that game, and the fight was perfectly manageable without it. I assumed there was some other trick to defeating him, like dealing damage quickly enough that he didn't get a chance to recover.

It's hard to believe how often this mechanic has been badly implemented, considering how Devil May Cry 1 did it perfectly. Even the later games screw up by giving it to you a third of the way through the game, rather than in the second mission. DMC1's recharges quickly with combat and taunting, can be switched off at any time, doesn't interrupt your combo, enables new moves, and reduces hitstun although doesn't make you invincible.

God Hand has a different take on it, which works really well for its combat system. It makes you invincible, but you have to use a certain chunk of your meter. You attack more quickly, and equipping fast or multi-hit moves almost guarantees that you'll be able to stun the enemy while you're pummeling them with the God Hand. You can't regain it by taunting (that's for exploiting enemy awareness ranges by taunting just close enough so that only one enemy in a group decides to attack you) but you can get a very slow move that can charge it significantly.

Yeah, DMC1's DT is probably my favorite. It felt the coolest and most significant to me.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
taunting actually did raise the tension gauge in God Hand

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

taunting actually did raise the tension gauge in God Hand

I know it raised the difficulty level and enraged enemies, but it's been a while since I played it so you're probably right.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Golden Goat posted:

The big 2 that was shown wasn't for Rising at all.

Yeah it was, it's from a wallpaper celebrating the two year anniversary. Still a weird image to spice into that reel all mysteriously. I'm pretty sure we're going to have some kind of MGR2 announcement before the end of the year. What else does Platinum have cooking other than Scalebound?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

*Raises hand* Yeah it got me confused for a second. I was like did I miss a moment to take him down? He's back to full health. Of course than it's like well he's using DT clones so maybe using DT will offset and yeah.

So it did give me confusion for like a little.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Only being able to kill Vergil with Devil Trigger was buggy. If you enter that phase of the fight and devil trigger too fast, it will never count for that fight, even if you fight him back to that phase again.

Last time I played that game was that fight on DMD, I devil triggered too fast, knew exactly what I did and never played the game again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Vergil is so fly he wears a cloak over his coat.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Presumably he's doing it to blend in with the ret of the Sparda worshipers at the church.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Has anyone played the Definitive Edition? I'm seeing really positive reviews for it and am thinking about picking it up - I skipped the first release because it seemed to get panned pretty hard by the userbase here. But I love the DMC series and Bayonetta, and am aching pretty hard for a good beatemup.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Even the original wasn't a bad game, just nowhere near the pantheon of Platinum titles or 3&4. By the sounds of it they made a lot of changes that made the game super unfun at higher levels (attacks bouncing off colour coded enemies can go straight to hell), so for 40 bucks I say go for it. Combos are easy as hell to do, but still fun to pull off.

Just try not to think too hard at the cutscenes/dialogue. Even by video game standards it's painfully bad (seriously, how do you screw up female characters worse than in 4?).

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who didn't realize you needed to DT to defeat Virgil since there was never any need to use it in the game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah once I got devil trigger I didn't really use it that much because it was difficult to amass and the helpful prompt when you got it was "You should be good at aerial combos by now so devil trigger only really works in the air" and since you can't normally launch bosses that's not very helpful.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Azubah posted:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who didn't realize you needed to DT to defeat Virgil since there was never any need to use it in the game.

They keep giving it to you at the end when you're fighting off the DT clone. Its a strong hint.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mune posted:

Has anyone played the Definitive Edition? I'm seeing really positive reviews for it and am thinking about picking it up - I skipped the first release because it seemed to get panned pretty hard by the userbase here. But I love the DMC series and Bayonetta, and am aching pretty hard for a good beatemup.

It'll fill a hole definitely. The original release had some promise, but undermined itself with some bad design choices, and by purporting to be an evolution of the series gameplay, when pretty much everything about it was a massive regression. The changes seem to fix the majority of the complaints, at least; lack of lock-on, fps, less agressive AI, etc.

Like ManlyGrunting, don't pay too much attention to the narrative stuff. It's pretty bad. Like, shockingly bad.

ManlyGrunting posted:

(seriously, how do you screw up female characters worse than in 4?).

It's kind of amazing in a trainwreck kinda way.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 11, 2015

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

It'll fill a hole definitely. The original release had some promise, but undermined itself with some bad design choices, and by purporting to be an evolution of the series gameplay, when pretty much everything about it was a massive regression. The changes seem to fix the majority of the complaints, at least; lack of lock-on, fps, less agressive AI, etc.

Like ManlyGrunting, don't pay too much attention to the narrative stuff. It's pretty bad. Like, shockingly bad.

It's kind of amazing in a trainwreck kinda way.

Thanks for your (and others) recommendation - I picked it up today and it seems to be pretty fun. The narrative stuff doesn't seem TOO bad so far, but then again anything's better than "The world is at last your bitch, as am I. Nothing left but to grab it by the hair, bend it over and —"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUArTDYYVc

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They missed a trick by not making this the new version of the game. It'll never get old.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mune posted:

The original got glowing reviews too, so I wouldn't put to much stock in that.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Brad Shoemaker was super into DmC. Keep in mind that Brad Shoemaker likes DOTA and shouldn't be considered credible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DE sounds like it's a perfectly fine if not exceptional action game. It suffers mostly for coming out after goddamn Bayonetta 2 which makes the comparisons even rougher.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Turbo Mode makes the game a lot of fun, honestly. Makes getting the hang of switching Angel/Demon modes on the fly a lot harder, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What were some of the improvements to the core game DE made? I heard they took out the dumb 'color coded enemies that have to be beat with specific weapons gently caress your combo' type things, anything else? I love DMC but I skipped the new DMC when it first came out, but I think DE may be worth getting.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

To summarize:
-Made it more like a DMC game.

Things actually attack, devil trigger isnt as much of a GoW rage of sparta (basically limited god mode), 60 fps, lock on...

More like a DMC game is what im going for.
Style still seems slightly linked to damage, or ramps up less quickly at least, that vergil fight had the style jump to A from the standard Axe smashes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rigged Death Trap posted:

To summarize:
-Made it more like a DMC game.

Things actually attack, devil trigger isnt as much of a GoW rage of sparta (basically limited god mode), 60 fps, lock on...

More like a DMC game is what im going for.
Style still seems slightly linked to damage, or ramps up less quickly at least, that vergil fight had the style jump to A from the standard Axe smashes.

Sounds good to me, making a game 'more like DMC' is pretty much always good.

You know, especially when it's a DMC game.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I heard they took out the dumb 'color coded enemies that have to be beat with specific weapons gently caress your combo' type things

I haven't played the game myself but I recall that they didn't completely remove the colour coding system.
Attacking an enemy with the wrong colour weapon now deals damage and doesn't stop your combo, but the enemy doesn't go into hitstun meaning you cannot combo/juggle properly without using the right weapon. And you deal less damage on top of that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mulgar posted:

I haven't played the game myself but I recall that they didn't completely remove the colour coding system.
Attacking an enemy with the wrong colour weapon now deals damage and doesn't stop your combo, but the enemy doesn't go into hitstun meaning you cannot combo/juggle properly without using the right weapon. And you deal less damage on top of that.

That's much less dumb, my main issue was as I understood 'original' DMC if you hit a dude with the wrong weapon you just didn't do anything and lost your combo, meaning having a mixed group meant combos were a pain in the rear end to get going. If I can at least keep things going while I'm switching up that's perfectly acceptable in a character action game.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Story and characters are still a tragedy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
I think guns also deal less damage to coloured enemies meaning they are borderline completely useless since they cannot even juggle the enemy without hitstun.

I still think it's a copout to limit weapon usage because it looks like the enemies and required weapon don't even have synergy.

For example: In DMC3 Bloodgoyles can only be defeated by using firearms first. However they fly all over the place making it difficult to use melee weapons on them anyway.
The coloured enemies just look like recoloured normal enemies.

• Locked thread