Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Not at all. Their objection is absolute, counter-productive, and idiotic.

All Joe is saying here, if I may sum up, is that Congress should be allowed to do counterproductive and idiotic things of this nature if they want to.

And as a political junkie I heartily agree.

Joementum posted:

The Senate just adopted a resolution calling for an investigation into the death of Boris Nemtsov. Too far?

I just would like to say here, that I have nothing at all to do with this investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The Senate just adopted a resolution calling for an investigation into the death of Boris Nemtsov. Too far?

I thought republicans loved Putin....

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

a shameful boehner posted:

Finally, we can realize our collective dream of joining Obama's Brownshirts Brigades and putting MIGF up against the wall.
I'm only comfortable with one of those two things.

I'm not sure which one it is yet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tom "Sid from Ice Age" Cotton.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm pretty sure they're not quite out of the Cold War mindset yet.

....then again, neither is a lot of Russia.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

The Congressional Investigation Committee has determined that the victim unfortunately and tragically tripped on a cobblestone and landed onto a bullet

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

What's up with all that loose skin around his nose?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grey Fox posted:

The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human — sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Grey Fox posted:

Lizard person, duh.

I wish I could remember whatever dumb poo poo Cotton said that cemented my low opinion of Harvard though. Because it was really dumb.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Lizard person, duh.

I wish I could remember whatever dumb poo poo Cotton said that cemented my low opinion of Harvard though. Because it was really dumb.

On the fiscal cliff:

quote:

In an interview in his still-bare office a few hours before being sworn in, Cotton told us he would have voted against both Speaker John Boehner’s “Plan B” tax on millionaires, and the final tax hike that got the country off the fiscal cliff. He vowed to vote against raising the debt limit in two months, absent the sort of massive cuts the president opposes. He said he is more concerned about the “cataclysmic” consequences of inaction than the “short-term market corrections” of default. “I’d like to take the medicine now,” he said.

On the value of the Internet (while at Harvard :allears: ):

quote:

Despite blather about the "information superhighway" in popular culture, connecting classrooms and libraries to the Internet is a horrible idea. The Internet at best brings convenience to everyday life. It allows us to check the weather, the news, the stock market and so on very quickly. None of this information helps educate children. But the Internet does not just fail to educate children; it even obstructs their education. The information on it lacks veritable scholastic quality because it is not filtered through the ordinary editing and publishing process of books and magazines. Moreover, the Internet has too many temptations—ESPNet and Playboy come to mind—to distract students bored with their assignments and looking for some fun.

On women serving in the military:

quote:

To have women serving in infantry, though, could impair the mission-essential tasks of those units. And that’s been proven in study after study, it’s nature, upper body strength, and physical movements, and speed, and endurance, and so forth.

Those are all from the Arkansas Times.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

On the fiscal cliff:

sweet baby jesus, how the gently caress did this guy get into Harvard?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

zoux posted:

Oh so you mean they would continue to repeat the same rhetoric of the last seven years.

There is nothing they could say that they haven't already said. Obama's always tried to play the above-the-fray statesman but he's utterly failed to outmessage the Republicans at every turn.
If Clinton becomes president in 2016, would this cycle of boneless cowardice from the democrats finally end?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

On the fiscal cliff:

Oh, it was far stupider than that. Like some glaring ignorance of basic science.

Al Harrington posted:

sweet baby jesus, how the gently caress did this guy get into Harvard?

Harvard is a joke that doesn't deserve its reputation is how.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grouchio posted:

If Clinton becomes president in 2016, would this cycle of boneless cowardice from the democrats finally end?

When exactly were the democrats not boneless cowards in your mind?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Oh, it was far stupider than that. Like some glaring ignorance of basic science.

But wait, there's more!

Tom Cotton posted:

Feminists who allegedly speak for women should attack divorce, not its effects. If men have easy access to divorce, many will choose it thoughtlessly. They may not gain true happiness with their new trophy wives, but they certainly will not slide into the material indigence and emotional misery that awaits most divorced women. If restrained, however, men can fulfill women’s deepest hopes. They can learn that personal happiness comes from the desire to devote and sacrifice oneself to one’s beloved.

A few men can see this by themselves, and women are quite lucky to hook them. Ordinary women must not only defend these men against feminism, but also demand that all other men accept the lifelong nature of marriage. If not, one-half of all women who marry see their ‘greatest fear’ come true. If so, they can have their ‘deepest hopes’ fulfilled.

Tom Cotton posted:

"I don’t think that we should be using farmers as a way to pack more welfare spending into Barack Obama’s government, nor should we have a food stamp program that isn’t reformed that doesn’t have job training and a work requirement, so we can get people who are addicted the help they need," Cotton said. "We need to make sure that long-term addicts who are receiving this aren’t abusing taxpayer dollars."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ReidRansom posted:

This is so, so true of all the Ivies. They have some things going for them (massive wealth, huge amount of resources spent per student, relatively small student bodies, connections) but the quality of education itself can vary wildly and is on par with just about any reasonably good university.

Also if you enter an Ivy dumb as poo poo they will do absolutely nothing more than any other school to change that. Possibly even reinforce it by insulating stupid shitheads from the real world and reinforcing their sense of superiority and entitlement.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

When exactly were the democrats not boneless cowards in your mind?
FDR, JFK, LBJ, Hilary Clinton, Floyd Olson, etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Included in the trove of Hillary emails turned over to the government are LinkedIn invites. :negative:

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

Grey Fox posted:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Just watched a conservative PAC against negotiating with Iran. Basically pulled some 24 scenario out of its rear end about a nuke driven into a parking garage and detonating. These people have fear mongering ads for everything.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Rand Paul is loving done in my book after signing off on that letter to Iran.

Are there any candidates that don't want to bomb other countries?

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Gravel Gravy posted:

Just watched a conservative PAC against negotiating with Iran. Basically pulled some 24 scenario out of its rear end about a nuke driven into a parking garage and detonating. These people have fear mongering ads for everything.

tbf I think they were blowing up Baltimore so, you know, eh...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bradburypancakes posted:

Baltimore ate a truck nuke in the sum of all fears movie which we were also talking about.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

Haha no

Also lol that he wasn't "done in [your] book" before

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Enigma89 posted:

Bernie. He's not going to win, but you were supporting Rand already, so that's apparently not an issue for you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baltimore wouldn't be a huge loss so long as the fallout didn't affect crab cakes.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

bradburypancakes posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Baltimore ate a truck nuke in the sum of all fears movie which we were also talking about.

Yeah it'd be one less tollway up the NE corridor so I guess we will be ok.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

too soon, man, too soon

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

Bernie. He's not going to win, but you were supporting Rand already, so that's apparently not an issue for you.

Bernie is the Senator of my heart if not my state.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Baltimore wouldn't be a huge loss so long as the fallout didn't affect crab cakes.

I am reliably informed by historical documentary Fallout 3 that it does not.

Bernie is the Senator of my heart if not my state.

Not gonna lie, it was sweet when he was our sole representative, and I like him in the Senate as well. Pity about the accent, though.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I am reliably informed by historical documentary Fallout 3 that it does not.

Not gonna lie, it was sweet when he was our sole representative, and I like him in the Senate as well. Pity about the accent, though.

I think it'd actually make the crabs bigger, and therefor more crab to cake!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

Ahahaha that's what it took? It wasn't all the other stuff about him generally?

e: I mean, I guess everyone has their moment where they realize everything they thought was wrong, but still

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

bob taft

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

ReidRansom posted:

Ahahaha that's what it took? It wasn't all the other stuff about him generally?

e: I mean, I guess everyone has their moment where they realize everything they thought was wrong, but still

I'm an one issue voter and foreign policy is the only thing that makes or breaks a candidate for me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Better hope SE Asia remains unnuked then.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I think the most infuriating thing about this Iran Letter debacle is that all of my social media stuff is filling up with people arguing about it, and I'm once again reminded that most conservatives (and quite a few liberals, but literally almost every conservative I see) have absolutely no clue about anything regarding even the most basic government procedures and are actively resistant to even the thought of educating themselves.

Already multiple times today I've seen people in comments sections parroting some talking point they heard somewhere about how all treaties have to be approved by the senate so not only are these senators right but they're champions of justice fighting against lawless Obama. When other people inevitably link them to the explanations of executive agreements vs treaties, or try to explain it themselves, it's like talking to a brick wall. They do not seem to believe that executive agreements even exist. The source is biased, the stats on how common executive agreements are liberal lies made up by Obama to cover his rear end, or they just don't read it at all and start yelling about how Obama is the real terrorist for shredding the Constitution. Almost everything I've seen on Facebook or in comments sections from conservatives is a belief that what Obama is doing by making an executive agreement is completely illegal and unprecedented.

The last political argument I had with a conservative on social media was years ago when someone who fancied himself a Constitutional Scholar was ranting about how the legal protections and right to trial in the Constitution only applies to American citizens and if liberals had actually studied the Constitution they'd know that. He was trying to play it off like this "Aw shucks" attitude about how it would be nice if everyone had rights, but you just have to follow the Constitution. When I quoted him the "The fourteenth amendment to the constitution is not confined to the protection of citizens." line from the Yick Wo decision he just said I was an rear end in a top hat and then just instantly switched his argument to "We need to amend the Constitution so rights don't apply to illegal aliens."

That taught me to not even bother engaging conservatives about political issues, at least on impersonal stuff like social media, but it's just so infuriating. There are plenty of liberals guilty of similar behavior, but this lack of basic knowledge about the government and an unwillingness to even read basic information seems so pervasive in the Conservative mindset.

I don't even know why I'm so annoyed by this, but I can't even remember the last time politics riled me up as much as it has in the last week or two.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Paul Ryan has produced a movie to explain how much he cares about poor people. It will be released on March 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM5hVYvDTAs

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Aerox posted:

I think the most infuriating thing about this Iran Letter debacle is that all of my social media stuff is filling up with people arguing about it, and I'm once again reminded that most conservatives (and quite a few liberals, but literally almost every conservative I see) have absolutely no clue about anything regarding even the most basic government procedures and are actively resistant to even the thought of educating themselves.

Already multiple times today I've seen people in comments sections parroting some talking point they heard somewhere about how all treaties have to be approved by the senate so not only are these senators right but they're champions of justice fighting against lawless Obama. When other people inevitably link them to the explanations of executive agreements vs treaties, or try to explain it themselves, it's like talking to a brick wall. They do not seem to believe that executive agreements even exist. The source is biased, the stats on how common executive agreements are liberal lies made up by Obama to cover his rear end, or they just don't read it at all and start yelling about how Obama is the real terrorist for shredding the Constitution. Almost everything I've seen on Facebook or in comments sections from conservatives is a belief that what Obama is doing by making an executive agreement is completely illegal and unprecedented.

The last political argument I had with a conservative on social media was years ago when someone who fancied himself a Constitutional Scholar was ranting about how the legal protections and right to trial in the Constitution only applies to American citizens and if liberals had actually studied the Constitution they'd know that. He was trying to play it off like this "Aw shucks" attitude about how it would be nice if everyone had rights, but you just have to follow the Constitution. When I quoted him the "The fourteenth amendment to the constitution is not confined to the protection of citizens." line from the Yick Wo decision he just said I was an rear end in a top hat and then just instantly switched his argument to "We need to amend the Constitution so rights don't apply to illegal aliens."

That taught me to not even bother engaging conservatives about political issues, at least on impersonal stuff like social media, but it's just so infuriating. There are plenty of liberals guilty of similar behavior, but this lack of basic knowledge about the government and an unwillingness to even read basic information seems so pervasive in the Conservative mindset.

I don't even know why I'm so annoyed by this, but I can't even remember the last time politics riled me up as much as it has in the last week or two.

The infuriating part about is it that the senators probably went along and did it because they knew they would get away with it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

block/unfriend them. You don't need that kind of aggravation in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Malloreon posted:

block/unfriend them. You don't need that kind of aggravation in your life.

I'm not friends with any of these guys, I'm friends with people who will post a relatively harmless status tangentially related to politics, and then their comments fill with their friends/relatives and then those people's friends show up and it just spirals off into these tangents.

I usually just hide the post, but I've had to do that like four times today already on four separate statuses, and one it's right up there in my feed I can't help but read at least a few of them. :(

• Locked thread