Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Variable_H posted:

Anyone have opinions on the HTC One M9 yet? I miss the metal body of the iPhone, but I'm still too miffed at Apple to go back.
Seems like an M8 with slightly better specs and a little more ugly from the back. M8 is a great phone (minus the mediocre camera) and feels super great when it's not flying out of your hand, no reason to assume the M9 is a significant departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Variable_H posted:

Anyone have opinions on the HTC One M9 yet? I miss the metal body of the iPhone, but I'm still too miffed at Apple to go back.

Have you considered the Xperia Z3?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not really. I was kinda worried that since its Sony they would have it set to not play nice with my Xbox One. I do like the design of it though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Variable_H posted:

Not really. I was kinda worried that since its Sony they would have it set to not play nice with my Xbox One. I do like the design of it though.

Not play nice? What wouldn't work with it?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I dunno. I thought they might do something to prevent SmartGlass from working or something. I've been predominantly an Apple user for a good while, so I guess I just kind of expect fuckery to make things not be interoperable with other platforms.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

I dunno. I thought they might do something to prevent SmartGlass from working or something. I've been predominantly an Apple user for a good while, so I guess I just kind of expect fuckery to make things not be interoperable with other platforms.
Androids and all open standards that OEMs use work poorly but none work more poorly than any other.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Was hoping to fastboot install 5.1 tonight, and then I realized that I had never unlocked the RMA replacement I got a few months ago. Now I gotta wait for the OTA :smithicide:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I hope this is the correct thread for my question. I have a note 3 running 4.4.2, but it keeps forgetting my wireless networks. I join the networks and they work fine, they're remembered for re-joining for a couple of weeks, then seemingly out of the blue they stop connecting automatically and appear to have been forgotten, requiring me to enter the key again. After doing this they are fine again for a couple of weeks. It appears as though all networks are forgotten at once, too, rather being forgotten on a per-network basis.

Has anyone come across this before?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

I hope this is the correct thread for my question. I have a note 3 running 4.4.2, but it keeps forgetting my wireless networks. I join the networks and they work fine, they're remembered for re-joining for a couple of weeks, then seemingly out of the blue they stop connecting automatically and appear to have been forgotten, requiring me to enter the key again. After doing this they are fine again for a couple of weeks. It appears as though all networks are forgotten at once, too, rather being forgotten on a per-network basis.

Has anyone come across this before?
You're using Titanium Backup to back up your wifi passwords. Stop doing that.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
How come the N6 doors not get first dibs for the update?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bryn987 posted:

Because the N6 is not suffering from the memory leak problem. Sprint says the N6 will be getting it today so we'll see.

It's not like the OTA is actually out in the wild for any of them as far as I know, only the factory images have been posted.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My company wants me to give up my company issued blackberry and run something called GOOD Technology on my personal phone as a way to save the company money to the tune of $60 a month + not having to pay to replace the blackberry when it inevitably breaks. I'm required to carry this device with me at all times as a condition of my job.

This sounds dumb for a number of reasons, shortened list here

1. this puts the financial burden on me with no compensation
2. i buy my devices outright, it's not carrier subsidized or insured
3. running someone else's software on my personal phone doing who knows what
4. who pays for my phone when it invariably breaks?
5. my blackberry has about 5 days of standby time, my android device has about 1 if I'm lucky, it usually needs to suckle from the wall teat after 18 hours, and I go camping, etc away from power sources at least 2x a month

Does this sound reasonable to you? How do you handle this?

Side note, this is a Large Company with deep pockets, recently acquired by a Larger Company with Very Deep Pockets; not a mom and pop shop.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 11, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It seems unusual to me that a company would require you to have/use a phone while offering zero compensation / reimbursement for it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hadlock posted:

My company wants me to give up my company issued blackberry and run something called GOOD Technology on my personal phone as a way to save the company money to the tune of $60 a month + not having to pay to replace the blackberry when it inevitably breaks. I'm required to carry this device with me at all times as a condition of my job.

5. my blackberry has about 5 days of standby time, my android device has about 1 if I'm lucky, it usually needs to suckle from the wall teat after 18 hours, and I go camping, etc away from power sources at least 2x a month

Side note, this is a Large Company with deep pockets, recently acquired by a Larger Company with Very Deep Pockets; not a mom and pop shop.

Capitalism sucks huh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

If the company isn't paying for the cost of the cellphone (and the plan) then it's not theirs, it's yours. The company isn't giving you money to pay for the plan? I've never heard of BYOD where they didn't at least pick up the plan cost and I feel like they should provide the phone too.

Most concerning to me would be that they'll (rightly) want admin rights so they can wipe your device in the case of a lost device or job. Obviously you can get around that with things like Nine that properly sequester company data away from personal data (and they should be expected to pay for that too, it's $20).

I'm sure others here will offer you more and better advice but there would be no way I'd let my company eat my data, own and control my device, and give up a solution that's working fine for me as-is while simultaneously asking me to pay all costs involved.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Rastor posted:

It seems unusual to me that a company would require you to have/use a phone while offering zero compensation / reimbursement for it.

This.
I use/pay for my personal device but they pay for the service and give me a subsidized deal . I work for a company of 1100 people, so mediumish. Being a condition of the job to have a phone seems like they should be the ones to pay for it. What would they do if you just had a personal flip phone?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My current passive aggressive plan is to root my existing phone, as the software apparently doesn't support running on rooted phones, to force the issue.

Besides, I really like my blackberry, it will survive being dropped from 6' on to hard concrete all day long. It's a properly bullet proof little device, and I don't have to worry about keeping it charged over the weekend.

Thanks for the insight, glad I'm not alone in thinking this is a crazy deal. My coworkers apparently hate carrying around their blackberries and think this is the bee's knees. They're also all on carrier subsidized iphones through a subsidized AT&T deal. I'm on tmobile which offers free international data & text among other plan perks like unlimited tether which I take full advantage of pretty regularly that I'm not keen on giving up.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

What would they do if you had no phone?

I agree with the others, this seems odd as a requirement. I could see them offering this as an option for people who didn't want to carry two devices. What do you do if that app goes off the rails and uses a couple 1000 gb of data (and doesn't report it to the OS) and you get a bill from Verizon/AT&T for $20,000? The bill/payment responsibility is completely in your name, I think this is pushing it a bit too far.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

It's unreasonable, lovely, and stupid. Maybe roll the dice in telling them to give you a raise to cover the cost of the equipment or get hosed?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

bryn987 posted:

Because the N6 is not suffering from the memory leak problem. Sprint says the N6 will be getting it today so we'll see.

It's not like the OTA is actually out in the wild for any of them as far as I know, only the factory images have been posted.
Quoting myself and you to tell you that it will probably come tomorrow as that's when the Verizon version will launch and it's being promoted as doing so with both 5.1 and HD Voice which is 5.1-dependent.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hadlock posted:

That's dumb as hell. I would just tell them straight faced that I didn't own a cell phone.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

WugLyfe posted:

It's unreasonable, lovely, and stupid. Maybe roll the dice in telling them to give you a raise to cover the cost of the equipment or get hosed?

That was kind of my plan, however literally last week they just gave me a 20% raise/promotion on top of an already fair salary, this squabble represents a little more than 1% of my gross income if I did my math right.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hadlock posted:

That was kind of my plan, however literally last week they just gave me a 20% raise/promotion on top of an already fair salary, this squabble represents a little more than 1% of my gross income if I did my math right.

You should quit the job, its the principle. Whos going to stand up to these fat cats? Stalin must be rollin in his grave.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If that's the case, maybe go HAM on it and get a dedicated phone for it. If you're in the US, it's a tax write-off if it clears 2% of your adjusted gross income, so you might come out in an okay place that way.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Don't go in alone. Group with your coworkers when dismissing this change; I'm sure none of them are happy about it either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah actually after the cost of a new $650 phone it would clear 2% of my income. I don't think the tax write-off would refund me that 2% though, it would just put me more in the middle of my existing tax bracket, the net effect would be less than $100 I think.

r0ck0 posted:

You should quit the job, its the principle. Whos going to stand up to these fat cats? Stalin must be rollin in his grave.

Yeah gently caress this, I'll quit and start my OWN company! :argh:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Don't go in alone. Group with your coworkers when dismissing this change; I'm sure none of them are happy about it either.

All of my coworkers have iphones and hate their blackberries, I am the black sheep on this one. I have a cardboard cutout to make sure my blackberry fits in my jorts along with my existing android phone :downs:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Well, you could stack things like app costs, and any “ordinary and necessary" accessories, but yeah, not a huge net. I just didn't know if you had other deductions that might make you change your filing from standard deduction to itemized, or if it nudged you into another lower bracket. Oh well!

The only logical course of action is to unionize and strike.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's not about the money.

Hadlock posted:

I'm required to carry this device with me at all times as a condition of my job.

Your profile says you're in Dallas, so it sounds like it'd be legal for them to force you to spend your own money.1 It's still lovely and probably indicative of a lovely work environment. Press the issue and see how flexible they can be.

1: "Employers do not have to reimburse an employee's out-of-pocket business-related expenses; however, the employee must be allowed to deduct unreimbursed business expenses as itemized deductions", http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/expense_reimbursements.html

worst case:

WugLyfe posted:

get a dedicated phone for it.

keep that poo poo away from your personal life.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Actually it's a completely rockin' work environment, this is literally the only complaint I have. Lots of challenges, great benefits, great pay, set my own hours, tons of authority. Except for this phone thing. My boss said they could probably make an exception for me on the phone situation, it sounds like.

If forced yeah I would probably get a second phone. However it's hard to find a durable smartphone with 5 days of battery life for less than a million bucks these days, the blackberry curve is an impressive little device for what it does.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just get a cheapo Moto G or something like that, they're like 250 bucks IIRC. Only plug it in at work for spite.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Just get a cheapo Moto G or something like that, they're like 250 bucks IIRC. Only plug it in at work for spite.
gently caress that, go Moto E. It's literally just for work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I probably type two pages a week in email on my blackberry. Physical keyboard is greatly desired.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Hadlock posted:

I probably type two pages a week in email on my blackberry. Physical keyboard is greatly desired.

You'll need to get over this real quick.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Most concerning to me would be that they'll (rightly) want admin rights so they can wipe your device in the case of a lost device or job. Obviously you can get around that with things like Nine that properly sequester company data away from personal data (and they should be expected to pay for that too, it's $20).

The Good app he's talking about is actually containerized so a wipe will only remove the corporate data from the app. It still doesn't excuse the other issues with it, like additional talk/data usage that they should at least reimburse for.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You'll need to get over this real quick.

Touchscreen keyboards are a cancer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

gently caress that, go Moto E. It's literally just for work.

Yeah, this, what is your carrier? If you had a modern ATT or VZW plan you can just add the like for $15-25/month. Then just get a MotoE, if you only use their email app and set it to sync every fifteen minutes or whatever, and don't have anything else on it, I could see the battery lasting a couple days. Also, in your scenario of camping, you must be bringing a bag of some sort. Just keep a few spare batteries. Palm slap a battery in, and you'll be golden.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My Nexus 5 is I guess dying or something? I'm lucky to get two hours of use on a charge. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue
I'm going to try a factory reset, but is there a reliable place I can get a legit replacement battery or should I just cut my losses and buy a new phone like a goddamn idiot. Got it in December 2013 so I'm pretty sure the warranty is expired.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

My Nexus 5 is I guess dying or something? I'm lucky to get two hours of use on a charge. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue
I'm going to try a factory reset, but is there a reliable place I can get a legit replacement battery or should I just cut my losses and buy a new phone like a goddamn idiot. Got it in December 2013 so I'm pretty sure the warranty is expired.

Hope is on the way.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

What version of Android you runnin'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

WugLyfe posted:

What version of Android you runnin'?

That's the problem isn't it?

I got this phone because "aw yeah I'll always have the latest software this will own!" :smith: