Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Riso posted:

There's at least four drivers claiming to have valid contracts with Sauber:

Ericsson
Nasr
Van der Garde
Sutil

I'm a sauber driver and so's my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You insurance premiums say otherwise.

(Sauber means clean)

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
noted fraud vettel got a new hair cut

Meth Aesthetic
Sep 2, 2011

I'm doin alright
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently he thinks the way to win the WDC is to copy Hamilton at absolutely everything

I wonder when he'll get hair transplants

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Professor Grumpy posted:

Apparently he thinks the way to win the WDC is to copy Hamilton at absolutely everything

I wonder when he'll get hair transplants

As soon as Berlusconi will tell him where he got his.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I don't even think this spells the end for VDGs career even if he doesn't drive. Being willing to stick up for your legal obligations and win might look good to other people wanting to come on board to his pay driver sponsorship package and make him a more attractive driver to hire. It looks less "he bit the hand that feeds him" and more "this driver won't be scammed". gently caress Moeisha Kampinhorn or whatever her name is. GO Vdg!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

no F1 team will ever, ever, ever go into business with vdg ever again, ever. although he is 29 and a pretty mediocre pay driver so that's probably what would have happened even without this situation.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Wouldn't you have said the same about Pastor Maldonado after he left Williams? The quality of a pay driver is expressed in only one thing: attracting sponsors money and turning it into a race drive. If he gets more money as a result of this from corporate sponsors and offers it to a team somebody will take it up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

:frogsiren: BREAKING NEWS: Sebastian Vettel has named his car "Eva".

insert hitler jokes here I guess

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Wouldn't you have said the same about Pastor Maldonado after he left Williams? The quality of a pay driver is expressed in only one thing: attracting sponsors money and turning it into a race drive. If he gets more money as a result of this from corporate sponsors and offers it to a team somebody will take it up.

you mean pastor maldonado, F1 race winner and man who has never sued anyone?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
if you cant get your money back because they dont and wont ever have it... may aswell get what you paid for

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Doc Morbid posted:

Cause he's neva eva gonna win another race.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doc Morbid posted:

He's just following in the footsteps of Michael Schumacher, who also left a Renault powered team for Ferrari and drove a Brawn.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Doc Morbid posted:

I thought FIA banned that poo poo along with changing helmet designs in their bid to clamp down on the frauds bullshit.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

For those interested... The court ordered Sauber to give VDG a drive instead on of just paying out damages because the Swiss legal system is based on the Civil Law. (because on the continent, they use a real legal system, not the abortive afterbirth of a legal system you Anglo troglydytes call the common law).

Civil law prefers specific performance as a remedy for breach of contract. The reasoning being, if money were the cause of contract, and an acceptable method of performance, then it would have been in the contract.

Money damages are only awarded for breach when specific performance is impossible or overly impracticable.

Back on topic... I don't have archives, but just wanted to point out I toxxed Merc WCC 2014 and LH WDC 2014 predictions when the news broke that Hamilton signed with Merc. Suck my poo poo you scrubs.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Good for him.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
For those of you coming down on VDG and acting like a lawsuit is somehow shameful or something credible people do not do.

Are you not sick of contracts meaning nothing and teams ripping them up when it suits them? Vdg going on a lawsuit world tour at each round and getting each country to say "yes, our legal system agrees you were robbed"? We could in theory see an end to the BS teams and managers pull.

Sauber and moeesha are the bad guys here, not a young guy who was taken advantage of. He should be able to go to any team he can afford without issue.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh no-one here (I don't think) believes he isn't in the right.

We think though that he's in a dead end here. In a sport demanding absolute commitment, he's asking the court to force people who hate him to run him.

He's going to get a poo poo car (more so) and only the most desperate of race team will ever touch him again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

no F1 team will ever, ever, ever go into business with vdg ever again, ever. although he is 29 and a pretty mediocre pay driver so that's probably what would have happened even without this situation.

No motorsport team will ever try to gently caress VDG over a contract again. What message does it send to his other employers (outside of F1, say, WEC or whatever) if he just lets another team breach contract with him?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Alain Post posted:

No motorsport team will ever try to gently caress VDG over a contract again. What message does it send to his other employers if he just lets another team breach contract with him?

Not only that, but if he's already paid for the drive, they've stolen from him. I'm surprised the police aren't involved.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

And VDG's father-in-law is a billionaire businessman. He might very well just buy into a team to secure a ride for him.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2013/10/16/van-der-gardes-billionaire-future-father-in-law-eyes-williams/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

guys, he has no chance at an F1 seat ever again, period. anyone who doesn't realize that fact is insane.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well maybe he won't, because he's poor. But lmao @ the idea that a pay-driver with shitloads of financial backing is going to become unemployable because he had the temerity to do something about his employer breaching contract.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Well maybe he won't, because he's poor. But lmao @ the idea that a pay-driver with shitloads of financial backing is going to become unemployable because he had the temerity to do something about his employer breaching contract.

you can't be this stupid

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

you can't be this stupid

You're the one seeing a company with no money and deciding to blame the creditors.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Can whoever is doing Red Bull please include this forgotten gem:

I keep forgeting the race is actually this weekend :woop:

but yeah, im supposed to do Red Bull and it wont be funny or good or on time. so anyone else please feel free to do it

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

An Indycar drive awaits.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

George Zimmer posted:

Can whoever is doing Red Bull please include this forgotten gem:

is this tsaedje with one of his famous spreadsheets?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm beginning to get the impression that Sauber didn't think that something like this would happen.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How much did he pay to secure the drive?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think I read something about 10 million GBP.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

You're the one seeing a company with no money and deciding to blame the creditors.

i already said vdg is clearly in the right you nitwit i'm simply stating the obvious and undeniable fact that no team is going to sign him after this fiasco, regardless of who is right and wrong

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Man, McLaren are a bad team, what do you think wicka?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

i already said vdg is clearly in the right you nitwit i'm simply stating the obvious and undeniable fact that no team is going to sign him after this fiasco, regardless of who is right and wrong

he has shitloads of money and clearly isn't going to be a problem if you don't do something like sign more drivers than you have seats? he's not pulling this lawsuit out of his rear end, he's doing it in response to something no team should be doing in the first place.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

He's just following in the footsteps of Michael Schumacher, who also left a Renault powered team for Ferrari and drove a Brawn.

This deserves love.

Regarding Sauber, having taken VDG's money last season to stay afloat and then presumably realised they needed more, they might have been wiser to talk to his rich backer themselves and ask for more in exchange for an interest in the team or something like that. Talking rich people into parting with their money with vague promises of some sort of return on it perhaps in a few years maybe is what Formula 1 does - even Richard Branson was suckered in to it. Taking someone's money as part of a legally watertight contract for a race seat and then ignoring them and taking someone else's money for the same is straight up illegal, and not the kind of illegal that people moan about for a bit and then it sort of goes away. It's also really loving stupid if you're a small team with no means of reimbursing them. Either they thought they could weasel out of the contract, or they brazenly never had any intention of upholding it.

Bernie needs teams on the grid this season but it's probably too late for him to intervene now. His silence so far is quite telling.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Button once broke his contract with Williams to drive another year in a poo poo show Honda and had to pay millions to make it go away. He later became WDC and was able to move to McLaren.

Show me where breaking his contract damaged Buttons career.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Right. The only teams that won't be interested in VDG's money will be teams that don't want to live up to their contracts and just want to scam his money.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Both sides are equally hateable. VDG has a billionaire father in law. I'm not exactly oozing with sympathy for his plight. On the other hand Sauber seems to be determined to out-caterham caterham in terms of making stupid decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Man, McLaren are a bad team, what do you think wicka?

disagree, they are the worst team

• Locked thread