Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Is that a mechanical limitation, or a "No one's that crazy" limitation? Because presumably if a death-machine is bearing down with plans to murder, you might opt for firing point blank and praying for a lucky scatter.

TacOps page 185, Direct Fire, Minimum Range.

Artillery attacks can't be made against targets within six hexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
He means mechanical in the "gun don't depress that far" way as opposed to "game mechanics."

i.e. the fluff reason

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lots of weapons in Battletech have minimum ranges with range penalties if you're inside that range; artillery has a minimum range, period. It's a mechanic for game balance purposes, and it also has fluff reasons that make some kind of sense.

It can't be due to the gun not depressing low enough, because a mech seven hexes away but two levels below you can still be shot if it's in LOS, so the gun must be able to depress quite low indeed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's entirely due to the scatter rules. If you can fire within six hexes, there's a good chance even with direct fire that your shell will land behind you. At six hexes shooting yourself in the rear armor becomes impossible unless you're gunnery 5 or 6 (4 base + 4 direct fire = 8, biggest margin of failure is 6 hexes meaning you could potentially hit the hex you're in but not the hex directly behind you).

Fluff reason would be the artillery's targeting computer going "Nope, gently caress that" and simply not allowing the shot.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What, you mean I can't do a death and glory shot at point-blank/detonation of all my ammunition to kill the guy trying to kill me? That's a shame. Suppose orders became easier though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There is a point blank artillery option, but it has to be the first shot of a hidden artillery piece and you're rear end deep in special rules before you're even eligible to take the shot.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Losanda posted:

Can someone give me some advice on what to do with the Chall and the Wasp? I really don't want to gently caress up again.

As long as you get your orders in everything is perfectly fine, most of us don't have a clue what they are doing anyhow, so it's all good :)
And even if nothing works, all your shots miss and you get torn apart, there is always great flavour text as a consolation price.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Player hovertanks are going to be flanking this turn, so they're risking sideslips. Remember, hills cost vehicles an extra MP to go up (3 mp per level instead of 2, no extra cost going down).

Do you want me to end your turns a hexside early to keep you cruising?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

sheep-dodger posted:

As long as you get your orders in everything is perfectly fine, most of us don't have a clue what they are doing anyhow, so it's all good :)
And even if nothing works, all your shots miss and you get torn apart, there is always great flavour text as a consolation price.
I have literally no idea what I'm doing. So I'm kind of expecting to screw up every turn :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Friar John posted:

I have literally no idea what I'm doing. So I'm kind of expecting to screw up every turn :v:

Fortunately, I find artillery hilarious. I'm hoping you actually fired at something this turn.

You should fire at the Mars. Other options: My hidden thingy started adjacent to one of my units and it's in a road hex. I'll reveal it if you hit it with even a little splash damage from a shot. Play Battleship while we play BattleTech!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

You should fire at the Mars.

For realsies.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fortunately, I find artillery hilarious. I'm hoping you actually fired at something this turn.

You should fire at the Mars. Other options: My hidden thingy started adjacent to one of my units and it's in a road hex. I'll reveal it if you hit it with even a little splash damage from a shot. Play Battleship while we play BattleTech!
I'm not the artillery though?

edit: UNLESS I AM??

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Friar John posted:

I'm not the artillery though?

edit: UNLESS I AM??

Oh, derp. :downs:

You should still fire at the Mars Eventually.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's entirely due to the scatter rules. If you can fire within six hexes, there's a good chance even with direct fire that your shell will land behind you. At six hexes shooting yourself in the rear armor becomes impossible unless you're gunnery 5 or 6 (4 base + 4 direct fire = 8, biggest margin of failure is 6 hexes meaning you could potentially hit the hex you're in but not the hex directly behind you).

Fluff reason would be the artillery's targeting computer going "Nope, gently caress that" and simply not allowing the shot.

It still doesn't prevent firing at a target 7 hexes away, missing by 6 hexes, landing in the hex next to your artillery tank, and the splash from the explosion from critting your ammo. Not that this has ever happened to me or anything. Not bitter at all. Nosirree.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

It still doesn't prevent firing at a target 7 hexes away, missing by 6 hexes, landing in the hex next to your artillery tank, and the splash from the explosion from critting your ammo. Not that this has ever happened to me or anything. Not bitter at all. Nosirree.

It doesn't, but like I said, it does prevent you from landing a shot directly behind you unless you move, or have targeting system damage, or are a worse shot than average which is really all that rule exists for. If they'd said "Shots within six hexes can't scatter in the direction of the firing vehicle" it would've worked just as well, but then they'd need special scatter dice and it's much easier to just not let the thing fire at all. :downs:

The worst gunner in the world (g7) could still shoot himself in the rear end with his own direct-fire artillery on the roll of a 3 though.

This doesn't protect you from shooting yourself in the rear end with indirect fire, but given that you'd need to crank the tube almost vertical to indirectly shoot something that close you're probably just getting what you deserve anyway.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 11, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

KnoxZone posted:

You are not nearly as bitter as that clanner I hit directly half a dozen times in a row direct firing artillery. So much impotent rage. :allears:

(I loving love the living legends long tom 95 tons of double barrelled action.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I seriously considered making the IS Artillery option for this mission the Paladin but I decided against it.

In all seriousness though if the players had taken nothing but Long Toms my forces would've been almost entirely Zorya tanks.

Edit: If the Long Tom had turned this turn and managed to hit the Anhur with an artillery shell it would've killed all the infantry who just deployed on that building's roof. At least it's going to take those guys four turns to reach ground level! And I already mentioned those buildings are windowless. That just means someone in a fast light `Mech will have to wander over there and light the building on fire while they're still trapped inside.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 11, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: If the Long Tom had turned this turn and managed to hit the Anhur with an artillery shell it would've killed all the infantry who just deployed on that building's roof. At least it's going to take those guys four turns to reach ground level! And I already mentioned those buildings are windowless. That just means someone in a fast light `Mech will have to wander over there and light the building on fire while they're still trapped inside.

And I thought the Pirates were hardcore.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

While lobbing another shot in the direction of the Mars was considered, before being discarded due to simply how many things are currently swarming over the eastern side, this was never really considered given how slow the infantry is combined with their short-range weaponry. Plus it'd be indirect, and any significant scatter could have easily landed it on top of that cluster of friendlies.

And I really hope the west downed that Anhur this turn, given how slow it was moving.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Anhur landed, and it's high enough up pretty much nobody's got a shot at it.

Voyager I posted:

And I thought the Pirates were hardcore.

Being in a fire hex would either destroy the Anhur outright in a turn or two or force it to take off again and give people a chance to shoot it down. And it'll still take damage the turn it moves out of a fire hex which could also take it out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 11, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bah, wasn't sure about that. Unfortunately, the only thing with a flamer is the Wasp, which may have trouble getting all the way over there quickly due to actuator damage. And still being in the middle of a shooting gallery, of course.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

the only thing with a flamer is the Wasp

And now you have revealed the secretly overpowered tool (for this mission) at the Wasp's disposal. Tanks don't like being in hexes that are on fire.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Lord Koth posted:

Bah, wasn't sure about that. Unfortunately, the only thing with a flamer is the Wasp, which may have trouble getting all the way over there quickly due to actuator damage. And still being in the middle of a shooting gallery, of course.

Most energy and even some ballistic / missile weapons can be fired with the intention of starting a fire in a particular hex, although the penalties are pretty big for non-incendiary weapons. There's even a special rule that can cause missed shots to start fires accidentally.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

It can't be due to the gun not depressing low enough, because a mech seven hexes away but two levels below you can still be shot if it's in LOS, so the gun must be able to depress quite low indeed.
Everything else being constant, there's a tube angle that gives you maximum range and any angle higher or lower than that decreases your range. Artillery typically fires the higher arc so getting shorter range means aiming even higher. It makes lower elevations easier, but also means that the minimum range on an artillery piece probably isn't enforcing a minimum but a *maximum* gun inclination.

Point blank wouldn't be shooting a shell into your foot, it'd be firing one straight up into the air to land on your head. It's also why short range shots can still scatter a whole lot, because they still have that much air time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Endomorphic posted:

Everything else being constant, there's a tube angle that gives you maximum range and any angle higher or lower than that decreases your range. Artillery typically fires the higher arc so getting shorter range means aiming even higher. It makes lower elevations easier, but also means that the minimum range on an artillery piece probably isn't enforcing a minimum but a *maximum* gun inclination.

Point blank wouldn't be shooting a shell into your foot, it'd be firing one straight up into the air to land on your head. It's also why short range shots can still scatter a whole lot, because they still have that much air time.

This would make sense if direct-firing against someone within x hexes took just as long as the distant targets, but it doesn't; clearly the intent is when you "direct fire" you are firing diretly at an enemy. You also cannot direct-fire at nearby enemies over intervening +height terrain, again underlining that it's a direct fire, and not a super-high arcing fire.

Nevermind that shooting directly upward hoping to hit a spot 100 meters away is just an open invitation to get hosed with by the wind, becuase the higher your arc, the more of the side of your shell is exposed to crosswind for longer, reducing your accuracy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rear armor shot on a BattleMech, yesss! I don't care if it's a 10 to hit and that the shell can't penetrate armor, go for the gold little Zorya!

Edit: Ahaha, now that is a vengeance crit if I ever saw one!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 11, 2015

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

This would make sense if ...
Yeah, I was wondering if I was walking headfirst into a "Physics is lostech" situation. I probably should have known better.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've already told you the answer guys.

The targeting computer has a rangefinder and won't let the gun fire at stupidly close ranges. Mystery solved?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rear armor shot on a BattleMech, yesss! I don't care if it's a 10 to hit and that the shell can't penetrate armor, go for the gold little Zorya!

Edit: Ahaha, now that is a vengeance crit if I ever saw one!

Well, it was either the Zorya or risk the Sylphs deciding they wanted to get a rear shot on me, so decided to go with the former.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've already told you the answer guys.

The targeting computer has a rangefinder and won't let the gun fire at stupidly close ranges. Mystery solved?

Makes me wonder if there isn't a story somewhere where a mech with a thumper or sniper does stupid computer fighting shenanigans. Preferably involving both falling over and shooting himself in the foot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was afraid I was going to have to zero out that tank. Saved by the Fusion Engine!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 7

“Y—” The startled scream of Chu-i Maki Kanon’s radioman was silenced in an instant as her Tokugawa was split in half by a violent explosion. The blackening husk coasted to a stop as its burning contents caught the thin, sickly grasses beneath it aflame. The smoke from the burning wreck was nearly lost as it rose into the ever-present smog.

Captain Ferraro stared grimly at that dark cloud and drug his hands through his curly black hair. Kanon hadn’t been in his company but she had been placed under his command. The loss of four men and women was always a blow but it was even worse when those men and women were yours. The Clan `Mech who killed his men stepped forward boldly, its outline red-hot on Ferraro’s secondary display. It was so hot its arms and legs were cleanly visible. In other words, it was a perfect target, but if the pilot realized his approach was so overconfident he simply made no effort to evade.

Ferraro tapped his radioman on the shoulder, “Send to Bachchan: Target that Hunchback. We’re putting it down now. Gunnery, Chu-i Kanon gave us a good start on that monster’s leg. Target and fire at will, let’s finish the job!”

Indirect-Fire Artillery Targeting Phase
- Mobile Long Tom fires? (I don’t think you did given that you were talking about picking targets in the thread eight hours after orders were due and our mediator didn’t tell me about any shots, but something might’ve happened with our arbiter so I’m going to hope you fired at something more than 17 hexes away)

Movement Phase
Drillson
- High-speed turn in hex 0307 (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 5, succeeds!

Regulator
- High-speed turn in hex 0208 (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 11, succeeds!
- High-speed turn in hex 0207 (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 8, succeeds!

Epona (ACE)
- High-speed turn in hex 0614!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 4, succeeds!
- High-speed turn in hex 1709!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base + 3 distance traveled = 8): rolled 6, fails!
- - - Margin of failure 2, skids 2 hexes into 1908!

Combat Phase
ACE Sylph Point
- Fires Micro-Pulse Laser at Hunter 2 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Side (3/15 armor remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Micro-Pulse Laser at Hunter 2 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Micro-Pulse Laser at Hunter 2 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Micro-Pulse Laser at Hunter 2 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Micro-Pulse Laser at Hunter 2 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Side (0/15 armor remaining)! Crit! Armor Breached!

ACE Epona
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Manticore (LBX) (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Manticore (LBX) (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Manticore (LBX) (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 10, hit Right Side (28/34 armor remaining)! CfMSD
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Manticore (LBX) (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at Manticore (LBX) (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, fails to lock-on!

Manticore
- No Line of Sight to target Anhur!

Manticore (LBX)
- No Line of Sight to target Anhur!

Challenger X
- No orders received!

Wasp
- No orders received!

Partisan 1
- Crew stunned!

Tokugawa 1
- Turret twists to threaten Left Arc!
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (2/12 armor remaining)!
- Fires Artemis SRM-6 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, 4 missiles hit Right Torso (10/12 armor remaining), Left Leg (10/12 armor remaining), Center Torso (16/18 armor remaining), Left Arm (4/6 armor remaining)!

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Artemis LRM-15 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!

Hunter 2
- Fires ER Large Laser at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Artemis LRM-15 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!

Tokugawa 2
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Hephaestus 1 (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 6): rolled 9, 6 submunitions hit Front (7/20 armor remaining), Front (6/20 armor remaining), Front (5/20 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Right Side (7/20 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Front (4/20 armor remaining (CfMSD)), hit Front (3/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Artemis SRM-6 at Hephaestus 1 (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Hephaestus 1 (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 5): rolled 8, hit Front (0/20 armor, 2/5 structure remaining)! Crit! Armor Breached!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Hephaestus 1 (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 5): rolled 7, hit Front (0/5 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!

Partisan 2
- Primary target destroyed!
- Secondary target not in line-of-sight!

Regulator
- Turret rotates to threaten Right Arc!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (0/12 armor, 0/12 structure remaining)! Leg blown off! `Mech destroyed!

Drillson
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (0/12 armor remaining)! TAC!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11): rolled 8, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11): rolled 6, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11): rolled 4, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11): rolled 6, fails to lock-on!

PNT 10K2 Panther
- Primary target destroyed!
- No Line of Sight to secondary target!
- Fires ER PPC at Hephaestus 2 (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Hephaestus 2 (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Hephaestus 2 (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- - Gains 27 heat, sinks 24!

Mobile Long Tom
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- No Line of Sight to secondary target!

Hunchback IIC
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (Ultra) at Tokugawa 1 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (Ultra) at Tokugawa 1 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, 2 shells hit Left Side (13/33 armor remaining (Crit!)), Left Side (0/33 armor, 0/6 structure remaining (Armor breached! Vehicle destroyed!))!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Tokugawa 1 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Tokugawa 1 (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 39 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Zorya 1
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Manticore (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 8): rolled 9, 3 submunitions hit Left Side (32/33 armor remaining), Front (41/42 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Left Side (31/33 armor remaining (CfMSD))!

Zorya 2
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Manticore (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 4): rolled 6, 5 submunitions hit Left Side (30/33 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Left Side (29/33 armor remaining (Crit!)), Left Side (28/33 armor remaining (Crit!)), Left Side (27/33 armor remaining), Left Side (26/33 armor remaining (Crit!))!

Zorya 3
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Slug) at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 10): rolled 8, miss!

Hephaestus 1
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (8/14 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires TAG at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit!

Hephaestus 2
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at M.A.S.H. (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 8, hit (44/50 durability remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at M.A.S.H. (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 6, hit (38/50 durability remaining)!
- Fires TAG at M.A.S.H. (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 2, miss!

Mars Assault Vehicle
- Holds fire!

Anhur
- Holds fire!

Donar
- Fires ER Large Laser at Regulator (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 12): rolled 4, miss!

End Phase
Hunchback IIC
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Torso! 3 critical hits sustained!
- - Ultra AC/20 hit!
- - Ultra AC/20 destroyed!
- - Ultra AC/20 ammunition hit!
- Ammunition explosion in Right Torso!
- - Hunchback IIC suffers 80 damage in an Ammunition Explosion (0/12 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Right arm blown off! Engine hit! Engine hit!
- - - CASE safely vents 68 damage!

Hunter 2
- Crew stunned (1 turn) due to armor breach in tainted (toxic) atmosphere!
- Critical chance in Left Side! Crew stunned!
- Critical chance in Left Side! Engine hit!
- - Vehicle immobilized by engine hit!
- - Energy weapons rendered inoperative by engine hit!

Manticore (LBX)
- Chance for Motive System Damage! No damage sustained!

Manticore
- Chance for Motive System Damage! No damage sustained!
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Minor damage sustained (+1 to driving tests)!
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Minor damage sustained (+1 to driving tests)!
- Critical chance in Left Side! Stabilizer hit (Enemy movement modifier doubled for all left side weapons)
- Critical chance in Left Side! Fuel tank hit reduced to engine hit by vehicle’s fusion engine!
- - Vehicle immobilized by engine hit!
- - Energy weapons rendered inoperative by engine hit!
- Critical chance in Left Side! Crew stunned!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Donar Assault Helicopter
- High-speed turn in hex 1813!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base + 0 distance traveled = 5): rolled 9, succeeds!

Epona Pursuit Tank
- Designates Epona Pursuit Tank as Ace!

Anhur
- Solamha Infantry disembarks in hex 1405!

Final Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (0/1)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Dear Thread Readers:
Please don't make my players feel bad about their orders. It makes them less likely to send in orders on the following turns because they want to send the "right" ones.

Dear Players:
Please continue to have fun sending in orders. Half the fun of BattleTech is giggling while one of your units dies spectacularly in an unlikely fashion.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 12, 2015

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Ouch.

And I feel PTN could be going much harder as well. Though jumping on a non-ordered Challenger would be a a little sadface.

At least we took down a few of them. We can still do this!

Remember those contingency orders guys.

i.e if unable to fire at unit x then fire at unit y.

Kial fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 12, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sent artillery orders 5.5 hours ago, PTN. Also, I included tertiary orders to target the other Hephaestus in my orders to you. :(

If you still want to run it, I had the artillery targeting 3812, since I believe I had direct line of sight to it. Included orders to target either 3811, 3712, or 3713 if I did not but had line of sight to one of those instead.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 12, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Long tom is alive! holy crap

And there is an enemy within direct fire range :getin: two! two within range :getin: And you have enough armor to survive the Hephaestus's shots this turn. :getin:

Ok ptn cut you guys a break but start taking down those enemies! Remember that the ACE epona is a commander and if you take him out the enemy loses an ace designator.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Good lord that was an unlucky location roll on Tokugawa 1 :(

I'm not sure if I should move both my (still mobile) tanks to attack Hepahestus 2 that's behind the long tom, or attack the stuff that is continuing to flank up our right hand side. I'm leaning towards concentrating fire on Hephaestus 2 to try and finish it, and then dealing with the rest.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Since this is also the thread of "Let's Read Battletech Novels" you might get a kick out of this:
George Ledoux (of Duncan Fisher fame) got hired to do the audiobook version of a Battletech Novel! :hfive:

That novel is Far Country. :boom:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm glad to hear it! I know getting into audiobooks was something he was really looking into getting into. :allears:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
PTN

Can Tokugawa 2 move into space 3303 or do the Long Tom carriages being there prevent that movement due to stacking?

Losander

If you want some order suggestions for the Challenger and wasp I'd suggest the following.

The two light tanks on the right hand side both have minimum range of 3 on at least 1 of their weapons each. So jumping the wasp into 3710 and shooting the Zorya light tank in the side with everything. If Lord Koth's panther joins you I think you should be able to wreck it. It's only moved 3 spaces this turn which is a pretty low move mod. You will take shots from it and the scout tank next to it though.

Alternatively, you can jump the wasp to 3006 or 2907 as a more defensive maneuver which should take it out of the line of fire and you can find a better place for it next turn.

For the challenger I think you should probably stay still given you aren't going to get move mods anyway and you have shots from where you are. Designate either the sylphs or the epona as your primary target and fire at them if they move into range/line of sight of your guns since they're the biggest threat and they'll move after you submit orders, otherwise fire at the Light Tank on the right as a secondary target and if that's destroyed the scout tank as a tertiary that'll make sure even if the Epona and sylphs go somewhere else you're still blasting away.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Go team, go!

DatonKallandor posted:

Since this is also the thread of "Let's Read Battletech Novels" you might get a kick out of this:
George Ledoux (of Duncan Fisher fame) got hired to do the audiobook version of a Battletech Novel! :hfive:

That novel is Far Country. :boom:

So... the next top way to troll RP tryhards in MWO? At the beginning of the match yell that you found a losstech cassette and then just play the audiobook?

• Locked thread