Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears they tried to equalize the length of the finishers, to an extent.

That's definitely it! I don't particularly like that change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Has anyone posted where you can buy the soundtrack yet? That vinyl release looks loving amazing, but I just can't spare the money.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BKPR posted:

Has anyone posted where you can buy the soundtrack yet? That vinyl release looks loving amazing, but I just can't spare the money.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355890/

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Uh has anyone else had an issue on PS4 where during the.. fourth? Room in the prison, where the inmates are enemies, you can just not walk through the door properly upon reviving after death, and the door will become unopenable? Like what are my options here. Keep restarting the mission from the beginning and hope I don't walk a little when I revive in that room? This issue might be enough for me to put the game down until a patch fixes this. Unless I am doing something really wrong.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what the gently caress is going on in The Abyss

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How do you get Follow the Script?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Ok I need to stop.

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/526132334745257591/48BF2306D284F16108B91D3A193E7A6A2792F150/

EDIT: The top 10 has all four of the Fans so yay for variation. We E-Sports now.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 12, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty much what the cheevo says. Just follow the tutorial prompts in the very beginning of the pilot to the letter and you'll get it. You might have to pick up/throw the hammer a few times before the swing prompt comes up, and the shotgun is the same color as the wall so I missed it on my first playthrough.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
wait people had issues with the boat level?
it's not stellar design but it wasn't that insane

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
God drat this is the best videogame sound track of all time. OF ALL TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pmQ8PqYFk

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Geight posted:

Or just dart back and forth enough to empty out all their guns and drill each and every one of them. :getin:

That's another thing I felt was somewhat missing from HLM2 - There's not as much player-controlled brutality, though the swans certainly do their best to make up for it. I felt like the original put a lot of effort into having some nasty executions, whereas most of them in 2 are just "beat over the head" or "slice throat with sharp thing".

Also they seem a bit slower, across the board? Just in terms of how long it takes you to finish somebody off.

edit: this is like the payday thread where I make a post and then I re-read it and go "wow I sound like a crazy person"

HLM2 has way worse executions than anything in the first game. Two that come to mind are the skateboard execution, which makes me cringe every time it happens, and literally ripping a guy's head off

Not to mention anything to do with the chainsaws, Tony in general (especially to dogs) and the writer turning people's heads into mulch with his fists

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Discendo Vox posted:

This is true horizontally, but not vertically.

seriously this
stand in the long hallway on that one floor of the last normal mob son level and tell me you could see that loving silenced pistol guy coming

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.
So...

Was Pardo's whole thing that he was an actual serial killer, or that he is trying to gain a promotion by creating a notorious serial killer and then pinning them on someone so he take the credit for the arrest, or is he killing people for the Russian mob and making it look like serial killings? The second one is the only one that would explain him starting to mutilate the bodies to get the TV crews interested and planting the wallet on Ash, but I'm guessing it's the last one, since all his other killings are mafia, and he tries to go to talk to the Son at the end. The latter two are also the only ones that explain his hallucination of the killer calling him "father" and saying you "created" me, instead of just being him.

Also...

Who is the scary guy Biker claims to have met in the desert, after fleeing Miami?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Anywhere else? I've been playing on Vita so I don't have the Steam version to buy DLC.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

tower of druaga posted:

what the gently caress is going on in The Abyss

I kind of thought that maybe that's the crew that attacks and assassinates the president.

edit: nevermind. I misremembered them being more military like for some reason.

Quickshanks fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 12, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Ddraig posted:

HLM2 has way worse executions than anything in the first game. Two that come to mind are the skateboard execution, which makes me cringe every time it happens, and literally ripping a guy's head off

But the skateboard is only in one level as far as I know, and the head rip happens to a single, special enemy and also isn't real, in the context of the game.

Compared to drill, pool cue executions, and anything involving a pot of water and a stove, I'm afraid 2 just doesn't have nearly the same depth of cruelty that the original had.

e: I'm a big fan of that chain(?) execution, though. When I first saw that it got my hopes up that there was going to be a lot more fun new melee weapons to hurt people with, boy was I off the mark.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I hate the black guys

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Zaphod42 posted:

God drat this is the best videogame sound track of all time. OF ALL TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pmQ8PqYFk

I just beat that level, too. Was it No Mercy or Execution? I somehow forgot among trying to conserve ammo in Hawaii.

goferchan posted:

I hate the black guys

Unfortunate, but I get what you're saying here.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

I kinda wish fat player characters had the same melee immunity as the enemies, just for consistencies sake.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i hate it when they kill me, die, and go out with some dumb looking :downs: face staring up at me

wit
Jul 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

I hate the black guys

Excuse me, full shotgun clip americans.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

I wish the entire game had level design as tight as Richters jailbreak

He really had the best levels in the game because they were designed the way the firsts were.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I thought about The Detective's story a bit and it makes some more sense to me now.

He is the killer, and he's just doing it for the attention. He comments about all the 'crazy people'. He imagines film crews, and himself as a movie star. He tells Evan to write about the Miami Mutilator as it's a 'much more sophisticated case' and 'everyone will forget about those vigilantes'. He also has a personal grudge against Tony because he's an attention seeking killer... Just like he himself is. Lastly, even Richard questions why he does what he does, and it really isn't for any reason. Also he complains about the press a lot. :v:

Also about the game's ending.

The more I think about it the whole thing really is just the devs mocking the players huh. The Fans are the first to die after they get a bunch of plot threads that start that go absolutely nowhere and more characterization then the others but it doesn't matter. The "Hotline Miami 3" screen and newgame+ intro are "What, did you really expect a satisfying ending?". Richard mentions you won't like the twist at the end, and every character's arc ends with, well, that.

widespread posted:

I just beat that level, too. Was it No Mercy or Execution? I somehow forgot among trying to conserve ammo in Hawaii.

Unfortunate, but I get what you're saying here.

Moving Up, actually.

COBRARocky posted:

He really had the best levels in the game because they were designed the way the firsts were.

Hard mode version is tied for 'worst level in the game' with Dead Ahead and Seizure. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 12, 2015

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Im Australian, you know, the country that bloody banned the game?

Devs told us to pirate it but I wish I didnt have to. I like supporting devs that entertain me and my personal opinion in pirating games is a dirty one. Each to their own of course but I just cant bring myself to do it.

I guess this time round I have to bite the bullet and 'steal' the game.

Really is a shame too. These devs really deserve my money unlike most games Ive purchased.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SkyEnzo posted:

Im Australian, you know, the country that bloody banned the game?

Devs told us to pirate it but I wish I didnt have to. I like supporting devs that entertain me and my personal opinion in pirating games is a dirty one. Each to their own of course but I just cant bring myself to do it.

I guess this time round I have to bite the bullet and 'steal' the game.

Really is a shame too. These devs really deserve my money unlike most games Ive purchased.

Is Hotline Miami 1 available Down Under? If so, you could pay it forward and gift a few copies around, and the right people would get your money in the end.

When the devs themselves tell you to pirate it, go ahead. :yarr:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Is Hotline Miami 1 available Down Under? If so, you could pay it forward and gift a few copies around, and the right people would get your money in the end.

When the devs themselves tell you to pirate it, go ahead. :yarr:

Yes, it's the rape scene that caused it apparently.

Speaking of which the scene disappointed me. There basically is no point to it, despite what the Dennaton said prior to release. Maybe in a meta sense but still.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Yes, it's the rape scene that caused it apparently.

Speaking of which the scene disappointed me. There basically is no point to it, despite what the Dennaton said prior to release. Maybe in a meta sense but still.

Yeah I think it just comes down to ~ my artistic freedom ~ which is not nothing, but at the same time they probably should have just released a neutered version to AU skipping that one little scene. No biggie. :shrug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I think it just comes down to ~ my artistic freedom ~ which is not nothing, but at the same time they probably should have just released a neutered version to AU skipping that one little scene. No biggie. :shrug:

It's very likely included specifically to induce a ban so that they can publicly react against it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Well the game's two themes were 'expectations' and 'everything comes to an end' so clearly it's an artistic statement that-

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

COBRARocky posted:

Is this counting the first one where you open a door and there's just a bar full of enemies that swarm you? I like prison break, but I actually sort of loathed Richter's levels outside of that. I don't think they're much like the first game outside of aesthetics.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Geight posted:

Is this counting the first one where you open a door and there's just a bar full of enemies that swarm you? I like prison break, but I actually sort of loathed Richter's levels outside of that. I don't think they're much like the first game outside of aesthetics.

Not gonna lie the only way I beat it on hard mode was abusing the fact that you can open the door but stay outside the level to funnel enemies in slower and keep the big dude in the back.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Not gonna lie the only way I beat it on hard mode was abusing the fact that you can open the door but stay outside the level to funnel enemies in slower and keep the big dude in the back.

Buddy, that's how I ended up doing it on normal. I'm not gonna make the cut for hard, am I? :suicide:

Speaking of, should I use the chapter select or New Game to see the aforementioned Newgame+ intro?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I thought about The Detective's story a bit and it makes some more sense to me now.

He is the killer, and he's just doing it for the attention. He comments about all the 'crazy people'. He imagines film crews, and himself as a movie star. He tells Evan to write about the Miami Mutilator as it's a 'much more sophisticated case' and 'everyone will forget about those vigilantes'. He also has a personal grudge against Tony because he's an attention seeking killer... Just like he himself is. Lastly, even Richard questions why he does what he does, and it really isn't for any reason. Also he complains about the press a lot. :v:

Also about the game's ending.

The more I think about it the whole thing really is just the devs mocking the players huh. The Fans are the first to die after they get a bunch of plot threads that start that go absolutely nowhere and more characterization then the others but it doesn't matter. The "Hotline Miami 3" screen and newgame+ intro are "What, did you really expect a satisfying ending?". Richard mentions you won't like the twist at the end, and every character's arc ends with, well, that.

i think youre stretching with the interpretation that the fans being a dig at the players. the only connection I see is that they get the moniker "fans". i mean you can read it there but I don't know if its intended to be that rather than just being another part of the whole "live by sword die by sword" message the game carries along.

the big meta characters, imo, was the pig mask actor, and his director. pig played the role because he was carrying violent fantasies about killing people, the director meanwhile was building off the fame of a killer by making an even more gratuitously violent movie of the events, and considering the whole game is framed as being an old vhs tape of said movie being played, thats pretty much the creators accusing themselves of making a hosed up snuff game out of a sick violent impulse, enabled by the surprise success of basically a killing spree simulator, while trying to act high minded about it. and perhaps a dig at the player for going along with it? meta stuff is dumb who cares.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Geight posted:

Buddy, that's how I ended up doing it on normal. I'm not gonna make the cut for hard, am I? :suicide:

Speaking of, should I use the chapter select or New Game to see the aforementioned Newgame+ intro?

It's New Game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Geight posted:

New game.

Note that the characters all say their last lines before they die in the intro, and their corpses are the same as how they die in the game. Richter/Beard/Manny/Evan are skeletons due to nukes.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think youre stretching with the interpretation that the fans being a dig at the players. the only connection I see is that they get the moniker "fans". i mean you can read it there but I don't know if its intended to be that rather than just being another part of the whole "live by sword die by sword" message the game carries along.

I guess, I just feel like promoting it as having more plot then cutting it off so much is a jab at people who were interested in the story more then the gameplay. Though I didn't mean JUST the fans portion was like that.

Hotline Miami 3 at the end is both making fun of the player for wanting a satisfying ending, and also a genuine point that the level editor will let the player make the game how they feel it should be. :v:

As much as I personally dislike the ending I really respect how thematically appropriate it is.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 12, 2015

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Geight posted:

The one where you have to perfectly throw the bat and grab the shotgun to shoot the big black guy was probably the worst.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Alright, this basketball court miniboss went by easy the first time but after taking a break and starting the level over he's giving me a world of trouble - can't seem to get away when he charges. Hints please

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

drat, Hard Mode doesn't mess around. Is it weird that I'm sort of enjoying it a lot so far? I mean maybe I'll get to the levels that were tough in normal and I'll want to tap out, but this is pretty legit actually.

I will say for all the complaints of the game, there is quite a lot of content available for those that enjoy it enough to keep going.

Geight fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 12, 2015

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don't think I realized you could spare Richter in HM1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Didn't the first game put the name of the stage in the score screen for easy bragging about how well you did? Seems like it should be there.

• Locked thread