Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

numerrik posted:

MCED is running the wookie defence in the most absurd way. News at 11.

Actually its called the Chewbacca defense just FYI

Rurea posted:

what is the wookie defence? just curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14

Its a cute way to say that I'm bringing up completely unrelated things to the actual case at hand in order to confuse people into agreeing with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've performed extensive statistical analysis, cross referencing data sets with historical models, and it turns out that half the thread are walking corpses occupying space of potentially useful players.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Of people with significant or meaningful content, Ernie and Somb bother me. Just something off about them in a few ways they carried themselves. Ernie trying to claim proof CPig was lying in a way didn't quite fit right, like he was arguing fallacies knowing from the standpoint that it was all predicated on Ernie lying about being a lie detector. Somber trying to jump the gun to get self confirmed is just bad. Why get yourself confirmed - survival. Scum aim to prove themselves town more so than to find guilt in others. The mindset is just weird.

Problem is that it seems like it'd only be either one of them at most as since it would tie them too closely together to be a sensible scum gambit and I have more respect for them than to think that of them. I started off wanting to vote Ernie, but in the process of talking this out, I've started leaning more towards Somber because I've actually gotten around to vocalising what was pinging me.

##vote Somberbrero

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I sprawl on beds of golden treasure
Hoard of riches beyond measure
Wise past reason I mull in my barrow
Recognize Scum, and ##Vote Somberbrero

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

##Vote Somberbrero

Turbo dunk incoming.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
this dunk on somber is terrible and I refuse to take part in it.

please vote ernie

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I refuse to burninate Somber on D1 this game. He's been dunked on D1 so many times, I'm starting to genuinely worry that he'll quit mafia if it keeps up.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Murmur Twin posted:

- Merk's strategy basically plays out as being unhelpful if he's town, and having an excuse to not post if he's scum. I'm not a fan.

For D1, I'm sticking with this and am kind of shocked that people are going after Somb, who is clearly trying, over Merk, who is openly not.

Merk posted:

I am in this game. I will be using my new posting style. I have read nothing; I will read nothing.

I'm a doggone dragon.

I've read nothing, but you should vig someone that posted a few times after you claimed and then has gone silent. There isn't enough content to make a soul read beyond that.

Dragons

##vote somb

##vote Merk

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Guys I don't think somber is scum. His scum tell is that on day 1 he picks someone to target and yells about it.

I would vote merk though because he is actively contributing nothing.

But I still don't know.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

I refuse to burninate Somber on D1 this game. He's been dunked on D1 so many times, I'm starting to genuinely worry that he'll quit mafia if it keeps up.

I am too stubborn to quit Mafia. If I leave it'll be because I got bored.

What does make me want to quit Mafia is how many people are barely reading this game. Merk is obviously intentionally playing poorly is likely scum, but what's up with numerik?

numerrik posted:

##Vote Somberbrero

Turbo dunk incoming.

Barely any posts, doesn't mention me before, hops on a bandwagon while acknowledging that it's a bandwagon.

Also, please dunk Ram. He's not actually saying anything meaningful in his defense. I know that we're used to giving people a pass for effort, but a lot of what he's posting doesn't mean anything. He's saying that the case on him is dumb and bad because it's dumb and bad. I can't argue with that, but I think I can argue that the way he bounces from MCED and I does not make any sense. He completely reverses his opinion on multiple occasions over a span of hours.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Phone posting, somber I haven't avoided your criticism at all you are just dumb.

Also that scum read of somber (going after someone incessantly) sounds exactly like what he's doing now, how can you honestly read him and me in context throughout this and recognise my play makes sense and that somber is being insane. Good players are voting somb ATM and whilst merk seems scummy he is a good and ancient player who deserves the opportunity to shine. If merk doesn't want d1 crap shoot I can get it I guess, its a one day pass for me, though

Kill somber, tia

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

I hate phones

I meant how can you not recognise that I am lucid and somber is flat out wrong, my reads are high quality and I did good things to get better reads, quicker. Somb doesn't respect that because it involved posturing, very obvious gambits and probing him. Sorry I played you like a flute!

Toot toot

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Guys I don't think somber is scum. His scum tell is that on day 1 he picks someone to target and yells about it.

I would vote merk though because he is actively contributing nothing.

But I still don't know.

This is a scum post. Merk is LHF and likely to just not want to D1, a bad scum read that ironically fits sombers game and an idk at the end.

See my big post this guy is a good target.

Also somb is a good kill, the most recent slew of posts not wanting to kill him is going to be juicy if he's town or scum

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well no actually you do never address any of the points brought against you and mostly just post nonsense.

TheRam posted:

Somber, I get it, you don't understand that I utilise a potent mix of gambits, jokes and erratic attacks to figure out who is what (and have fun). I am sorry but your case is bad and I don't know how to continue talking to you without being mean and just calling you stupid repeatedly. If you don't get it then I'm okay with that. I'm pretty content that for the few who might have found my posts concerning that I have systematically responded to your bad points.

My read on you isn't evolving, because you're just doing more of the same. I don't know if you're stuck throwing yourself at me in an attempt to remain earnest and convince people you're town with your zeal or if you're scum who I caught with the tried and tested low hanging fruit. The problem is I expected this out of newer players but not you, and it's still true that you consistently die in other games and I don't know why but it's something I try to take into account.

Bottom line is, my reads aren't particularly strong, on a re-read of the thread I will probably find some additional targets in a mini-list, but right now you're either blinded by your own lovely case and misread of me or scum. I'm not going to feel guilty for being cool with you dying in either circumstance.

Hello Lumpen, so you think Somber and MC ED are scum? I mean - MC ED may have channeled his anguish to make a "wah no" post, and busdriver is an ambiguous role alignment wise, but it read as real to me.

Your response is 'your case is bad' with a healthy dash of 'also you're stupid.' You don't explain why my case is bad, or why I'm stupid, just that I am. I've already addressed your previous responses and found them wanting. If you can't explain your behavior then I'm not going to just move my vote off you because you called me stupid.

I seriously do not believe that you're pushing an 'Oh My God, You Suck!' vote and then can say with a straight face that I'm going after low-hanging fruit. You're trying to dismiss my case out of hand because it's correct and you don't have an actual response.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah, honestly, Anon is my number 2 choice atm

somber is not a good idea.

We need to cuddle/dunk/plorp ernie

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Lumpen is more likely scum ATM than merk.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

TheRam posted:

This is a scum post. Merk is LHF and likely to just not want to D1, a bad scum read that ironically fits sombers game and an idk at the end.

See my big post this guy is a good target.

Also somb is a good kill, the most recent slew of posts not wanting to kill him is going to be juicy if he's town or scum

What's lhf?

If you read my other posts you'd see that I explicitly said I hated d1 but the only way for us to get any info is from a lynch.

Maybe somber is scum idk I'm just saying that the last two games I played with him where he flipped scum, he acted just like I said.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

What's lhf?

If you read my other posts you'd see that I explicitly said I hated d1 but the only way for us to get any info is from a lynch.

Maybe somber is scum idk I'm just saying that the last two games I played with him where he flipped scum, he acted just like I said.

I know one game is ongoing. What was the other game?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Not an omgus, at all, I don't feel any pressure from your vote because you're being dumb and the fact the only people entertaining your ideas are either probable scum or bad/new players reinforces why it doesn't matter.

Whilst the pressure has built on you you've just gotten more committed to your bad case on me and people not killing you are citing sympathy for your noose addiction more than anything.

I can make an easy post demonstrating how not OMGUS my desire to lynch you is when I get home which is soon. So whatever.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TheRam posted:

Lumpen is more likely scum ATM than merk.

Not saying I necessarily disagree but what're you basing that on?

Lumpen is tunneling on Somber - that might be him trying to mislead, or it might be him having an incorrect lead. This early in the game I usually lean towards the latter.

Merk is actively saying "I'm not going to read the game" but laying down a vote. There's almost no pro-town explanation for that.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I feel super happy to see TheRam back. He reminds me of myself when I had more energy, and he fights the good fight.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I don't see myself as tunneled. I have seen two strong Scum pings come along in this game and they are Somberbrero and MCED. When/if I see something more Scummy I will react.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

I know one game is ongoing. What was the other game?

Oh, I remember now. I picked on you a little in The Killing because you made some posts I thought were scummy. Honestly though I forgot about that game, I wasn't my usual active scum self.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

Not an omgus, at all, I don't feel any pressure from your vote because you're being dumb and the fact the only people entertaining your ideas are either probable scum or bad/new players reinforces why it doesn't matter.

Well I'm pretty sure that's a fallacy.

TheRam posted:

Whilst the pressure has built on you you've just gotten more committed to your bad case on me and people not killing you are citing sympathy for your noose addiction more than anything.

Your point being what? I believe you're scum. I'm pursuing your dunk. People don't agree with me. I don't agree with their reasoning, those that have any. This makes me scum how?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Somberbrero posted:

Oh, I remember now. I picked on you a little in The Killing because you made some posts I thought were scummy. Honestly though I forgot about that game, I wasn't my usual active scum self.

You didn't "pick on me a little" you were scum and you targeted me and then yelled about how you were soooo convinced I was scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

You didn't "pick on me a little" you were scum and you targeted me and then yelled about how you were soooo convinced I was scum.

I just did a quick reread and I feel like my impression is more accurate, but it's kind of a silly argument and meta cases are bad, even when they're in my favor.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Lumpen posted:

I don't see myself as tunneled. I have seen two strong Scum pings come along in this game and they are Somberbrero and MCED. When/if I see something more Scummy I will react.

The tunnel has two lanes in it :) I used that word (perhaps incorrectly) because I feel your certainty that they are scum doesn't line up with the reasons you're citing.

Lumpen posted:

This strikes me as a Scumpost.

##vote Somberbrero

Lumpen posted:

Somber and MCED and anyone else trying to get traction on TheRam for "lying" likely flip Scum. Nobody is sincerely that dumb, but it's understandably tempting for a Scum to feign easily to find a place to drop a vote.

Lumpen posted:

Obvious Scumpost.
##Vote MC Eating Disorder

Lumpen posted:

I strongly disagree. (reply to: "if MC ED is scum then seriously bravo that was a convincing post I've read it a few times now".)

I also strongly feel that Somberbrero flips Scum.

Lumpen posted:

I sprawl on beds of golden treasure
Hoard of riches beyond measure
Wise past reason I mull in my barrow
Recognize Scum, and ##Vote Somberbrero

Either way, I don't necessarily think you're scum (I'm null on you right now), I was just wondering why TheRam thought you're scummier than Merk (especially given that Merk's vote was just quoting one of your posts).

While I'm here:

Lumpen posted:

Well, I consider anyone that dumb a liability if Town, so not a bad lynch either way.

Thoughts on Merk?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Somb says I OMGUS'd him, i.e. I reacted to his KEEN EARNEST SCUMHUNTING by simply flipping it back at him, and therefore my arguments are irrelevant because they're post-hoc rationalisations of why I feel bad about Somber at best, or at worst they're scum work (which is what Somber seems to think).

Okay let's explore, did I OMGUS Somber:
All posts in chronological order unless obviously not.

Somber suggests I might be an overexcited town, but would rather dunk me and see because I said:
I had a friendship check that I used on Lumpen (which I then verified was a lie), and that I am a Miller (a meme, a lie, and under no pressure from anyone).

He also made this bad post where for no reason he continues to assume Ernie is serious, then he says Ernie probably isn't serious.

Also this is "if ernie is for real", which I thought he was obviously not, so I assumed this wasn't serious - but to determine this, I asked:

TheRam posted:

Hey Somberbrero are you like, for real? Or are you just doing things. I don't want to step on your toes if you're doing a thing, I can respect that.

But I just want to know because I might dayvig you that was pretty scummy and awkward. It's a well known fact that I am an excellent townsman, who cares deeply about finding scum because I like to win. So much so that some have called me mean or oppressive.

So let me know bro.

Again, obviously a gambit but hey. Somber was saying things I thought were dumb so I applied a tactic that I thought might work on a dumb person.

Somber responds that he doesn't think I have a gun, I ask him to answer my question, somber says what question (which is quoted above and clearly a question), I clarify:

TheRam posted:

I asked you if you were serious about your bad read on me or if you were saying things just to get the ball rolling.

I said I respect if it's the latter, but I need to know sadly because I think it might be the former and think it'd be funny if I shot you! (okay, it's not being shot, lol, it's an elder dragon secret how I would annihilate you).

Somber says If Ernie was serious (he said he doesn't think Ernie is serious) then I made a bad play for town, he doesn't like how I played my Miller claim (no explanation of why), that I seem overexcited and that he would dunk me, but I'm not his first choice.

I say lol and vote him, because this all struck me as a load of poo poo.

Note, I would say that this is the first time either of us committed any kind of real pressure to the other. :siren:

Somber says it's strange to be taking me seriously
Okay, so Somber isn't taking me seriously, but thinks I should maybe die...

I continue to apply pressure on Somb, and pretend I have a vig.

Somb calls me a butt, the closest thing to saying "omgus" so far!

TheRam posted:

Using my dayvig in 4 hours so there is still time to have a productive day after the flip I don't trust people not to be under-active.

atm it's somberbrero getting dead, I kinda wanna do merk but I'm assuming he does actually intend to play the game.

any objections?

I continue to pressure Somb, I have not admitted I am not a vig yet. So far I can't see a single instance of anything I've done being scum minded.

Some says my vig is imaginary.

I say I have some scumvibes from MC ED, whilst retaining that I'll vig Somb.

Somb votes me, stating I'm "attempting to guide the game narrative to no real purpose... establishing an active, forward role in discussion but doesn't seem to have anything to say".

I'd argue that this is OMGUS, but it doesn't really matter. Somb has some kind of read on me that he gives. I respond.

TheRam posted:

somber what if I told you that you voting me was a last ditch attempt to avoid getting killed and I think you'd be better served not omgus'ing me.

everything has a purpose, even if I was a babbling loon you'd surely want to pick through the responses as a townsperson?

seems pretty scummy to wanna kill the most active player on D1!

and the response is this:

Somberbrero posted:

It's disingenuous to call this an OMGUS vote. You're demanding a lot of attention but you're not really advancing opinions or pushing for anything besides a dunk on me because(???). What was your argument before my last post?

The issue I have at this stage, is that whilst there is a case on me I don't see it at all. We're early in D1, I'm saying that I'm going to kill people with a vig, I've said I'm a lie detector and a miller, Somb has said repeatedly he isn't taking me seriously. Yet Somb now actively wants me dead #1. I wonder if me saying I was going to kill him has anything to do with it. I wonder if this is his self-preservation scaredy scum instincts shaping his play.

Somberbrero posted:

TheRam, don't vig Somber because you don't have a vig.

There are always more games :kheldragar:

Then he made this post. Which I said I liked. It read as townie, he finally did something that wasn't scummy so I dropped it. Wah Somb can't understand that I shouldn't need to explain all of my thoughts and feelings to this extent for an early D1 post especially when I'm in the middle of chain-lying to make things happen.

I also said here that my vig is imaginary and vote MC ED. I continue to pressure MC ED and I think I am the reason he was going to die, tbh, until Somb responds to me saying I like him etc.

Somberbrero posted:

Thanks but I'm a little weirded out that you just dropped this. What was the point of our previous discussion from your perspective?

Somb says he is weirded out, which according to this own ideas about what scum do (i.e. say non-descript things like "he seems sad" and "I like you" which have obvious inferences about alignment reads associated with them that shouldn't need to be spelled out like you're talking to a child), and then asks me a loving stupid question that I can't see why any townsperson would ask.

He already said he thought I was being not-serious repeatedly, in spite of this he decided that my repeated efforts to make content and push people (sadly, including him) was some scum play to take control of the town D1 and give the illusion of trying.

Everything else is just a rehashing of the same fundamental badness that is Somb's read on me and subsequent play.

Honestly, I've read it a few times now and I every time I feel more like there needs to be a scumdoc out there somewhere with Somb going "gently caress, ram has me by the balls, I'm just going to push hard on him to try and make him look bad".

TL:DR - ABOVE IS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SEE TO HELP YOU A) DETERMINE THAT SOMBER'S READ ON ME IS DISINGENUOUS OR STUPID, and B) SOMBER IS A FLAILING SCUMBO or PAINFULLY INEPT AND A WORTHWHILE SACRIFICE

also - I strongly feel that even if Somber is town I'll get good reads off of his lynch, since to my knowledge the most powerful players when they commit to writing (Lumpen, merk) both saw and jumped on it early, meaning it'll be left to the nooblets to vocalise why exactly they are killing Somber.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

please only read the post above if you actually think somber isn't an idiot, also I did not proof read that post it's too long so w/e :siren:

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Lumpen posted:

I feel super happy to see TheRam back. He reminds me of myself when I had more energy, and he fights the good fight.

Somber applies the most basic and awful scum mind to me. It's painful. I can only reconcile it as him trying to make me sink myself. I don't know why Somber got lynched in those other games but if I have to learn how stupid he is by lynching him I'm certainly at that point now.

to all: I recommend anyone who isn't at that point reads my big post, I think somb knows my meta enough to know I'm a tryhard who always stirs poo poo up early D1 too, that makes his whole deal more disingenuous to me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
just so we're one hundred per-cent clear

TheRam posted:

Hey Somberbrero are you like, for real?

is a legitimate question with a point.

Somberbrero posted:

What was the point of our previous discussion from your perspective?

Is a "a loving stupid question that I can't see why any townsperson would ask."

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What's lhf?

LHF = low hanging fruit

lots of people don't like D1 or think it's a pure crapshoot, I think that a good scum hunter can catch scum D1 and it's hard and it's something I strive for. As a result, I do what I can to make things happen. I did, sadly there has been far too many words linked to this Somber thing but too many people are ignoring or oblivious to the fact his scum hunting has been really bad and/or fake.

vote somber

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

just so we're one hundred per-cent clear

is a legitimate question with a point.

Is a "a loving stupid question that I can't see why any townsperson would ask."

Yes exactly, see my previous posts where I've explained this repeatedly.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I've tried to stay away from personal attacks but I haven't been totally successful, I'm sorry about that. Personal attacks are the basis of Ram's case because he can't support his arguments with logic. Most of the statements he makes aren't connected by rational thought.

The Ram is scum because his stated opinions don't match his actions. He bounces back and forth to whatever is convenient in the moment and then tries to hide behind bluster and fake effort when called out. Vote Ram.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Somber's willful ignorance of the rational behind me asking him if he was genuine about reading me as scum and wanting to kill me, whilst ignoring that his question of "why did I play how I did early D1" has an obvious answer and the only way it could have an answer other than "because townie reasons" would be if I was to say "I am scum actually yeh you got me". It was just a pointless question that feigned having a point. Everything I have done has a demonstrable point, which is obvious, and was mostly "getting things to happen so that I can actually start playing mafia".

My subsequent play has illustrated I intended to play mafia all along, somber's subsequent play has illustrated he wants a slapfight and is stupid.

##vote somber

for glory

done with somber for D1 whether he lives or dies, I'll respond to others asking questions but there is no reason why that should happen.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

merk posted:

I am in this game. I will be using my new posting style. I have read nothing; I will read nothing.
I buy it.

Merk put his vote in the right place, right along with me. I see this as wise. If it leads to a Scum flip, as I expect, then I will continue to excuse merk's non-presence in the game.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Lumpen, you're voting Somber, do you think anything I have said is off base? Maybe if you could summarise why he is a good kill for anyone who has disengaged with my mega posts that'd be cool.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

Somber's willful ignorance of the rational behind me asking him if he was genuine about reading me as scum and wanting to kill me, whilst ignoring that his question of "why did I play how I did early D1" has an obvious answer and the only way it could have an answer other than "because townie reasons" would be if I was to say "I am scum actually yeh you got me". It was just a pointless question that feigned having a point. Everything I have done has a demonstrable point, which is obvious, and was mostly "getting things to happen so that I can actually start playing mafia".

My subsequent play has illustrated I intended to play mafia all along, somber's subsequent play has illustrated he wants a slapfight and is stupid.

##vote somber

for glory

done with somber for D1 whether he lives or dies, I'll respond to others asking questions but there is no reason why that should happen.

so

your argument here

is that I'm scum

because you think my play is too bad to be town

in other words

"oh my god

you suck."

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

TheRam posted:

Lumpen, you're voting Somber, do you think anything I have said is off base? Maybe if you could summarise why he is a good kill for anyone who has disengaged with my mega posts that'd be cool.
I didn't read your megaposts because I have already judged you Town and you voted against my top suspect already. If Somber flipped Town I would at that point delve into your post to consider whether to reconsider my reads.

I applaud you declaring that you won't slapfight someone you consider Scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
At least the only reason that Lumpen thinks Ram is town and I'm scum is because he's not reading the game, otherwise this might be kind of frustrating.

• Locked thread