Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
isnt this something that should be discussed in the discussion thread instead of in the middle of a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Met posted:

So you're insinuating I'm being exclusive and negative by saying "lynch"?

That's extreme.

I guess if that's how you choose to interpret it. You can probably use a word filter to change my vocabulary to something nicer though.

I've played a fair amount of Mafia irl and I'm a little uncomfortable saying "lynch" over and over again in a public setting.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
yeh sea pig is right, kill somber

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Met posted:

I don't begrudge anyone for being uncomfortable with the term but I also think they're being a little sensitive if they get upset by other people using it in the context of the game. I won't go out of my way to make a thing of it, "THIS GUY is going to be strange fruit in the trees by tomorrow" or anything like that because that would be godawful rude. Intent has everything to do with what I'll find offensive.

I personally could care less about the word and it doesn't offend me at all. I just get that other people are bothered by it and it takes 0 effort on my part to change.

I have this thing where ketchup freaks me the gently caress out and I don't like being near it. My friends, bless their hearts, are aware of this and go through the minimal trouble to not wave it in my face / put it on my food. It's totally an irrational thing on my part, but since people do something like that for me I try to show the same common courtesy when other people point out dumb little things that make them uncomfortable.

CapitalistPig posted:

isnt this something that should be discussed in the discussion thread instead of in the middle of a game?

I'm just bringing it up because it was asked, but yeah.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Somberbrero posted:

I guess if that's how you choose to interpret it. You can probably use a word filter to change my vocabulary to something nicer though.

Intent. You're intentionally being rude.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Met posted:

Intent. You're intentionally being rude.

No, I'm not. My behavior has nothing to do with you.

I've been making a good faith effort to ignore it whenever I see you post something that I think is inappropriate or rude, because you don't care and Mafia is a party game on the internet. I'd appreciate it if you did the same. I apologize if you are offended by my usage of words other than 'lynch' but I'm going to continue to do so.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Cuddleplorp em all!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Can anyone help summarize the case on me? Three of the votes are from people who are admittedly not reading the thread. One of them is from someone who is very generously using all of their computer time at their mental ward to play this game. Amoeba's vote is okay even if it's wrong.

I get why my interaction with Ernie could be perceived as sketchy. I'd like to see what Amoeba thinks now though.

I don't think I saw you provide any counter interpretation, so unless I'm mistaken then that point remains unchanged. So try and rationalise your early actions as something other than opportunistic name-clearing.

I did get a little ping going off how Lumpen and Nummerik followed my vote again. Lumpen seems fine, it's more numerrik that is low content/no content bandwagonning.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

TheRam posted:

Calling it now, Lumpen Somberbrero and Narc all scum.

Somb soft bussing Narc but completely dropping all interest anywhere near deadline, Lumpen throwing the early Somb vote only to get off of it and only giving Narc a second thought when pushed and realising just how incredible I am, Narc giving meta reasons for ignoring Somber and having an awkward "look we're talking in thread not in the scumdoc" interaction.

Hal is the godfather.

Kill Somber so we can get this 4 day town sweep game wrapped up.

Something is faulty here, there's a lack of logic based on game sizes - specifically tacking Hal on as a godfather on the end. I'd expect 3 scum 1 3P of this size game. Ram, you wanna re-think your game winning post?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Amoeba102 posted:

I don't think I saw you provide any counter interpretation, so unless I'm mistaken then that point remains unchanged. So try and rationalise your early actions as something other than opportunistic name-clearing.

I did get a little ping going off how Lumpen and Nummerik followed my vote again. Lumpen seems fine, it's more numerrik that is low content/no content bandwagonning.

Well, I thought the other interpretation was obvious. I've been lunched a lot day one and I thought it'd be nice not to have to worry about that.

If I were scum and taking Ernie seriously, why would that action make any sense? It'd just get me outed day one.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

Something is faulty here, there's a lack of logic based on game sizes - specifically tacking Hal on as a godfather on the end. I'd expect 3 scum 1 3P of this size game. Ram, you wanna re-think your game winning post?

I guess that with 15 people there are likely 4 bad guys.

I had my triple scumteam but I said before I thought Hal might be a badguy so I tacked it on.

shrug!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

This game is fun to read.

I think PMush is still scummy.
I also think AnonNarc is.
I'm not sure how I feel about numerrik. He did say I should be dunked. that was mean. The accountant defense is hard for me to read.
I ALSO think we should just do the eccogambit and lynch all lurkers

##vote AnonNarc

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

TheRam posted:

I guess that with 15 people there are likely 4 bad guys.

I had my triple scumteam but I said before I thought Hal might be a badguy so I tacked it on.

shrug!

It's not me, I'm a good dragon I promise.

I really need to catch up here

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah, I probably won't be around tonight and I'm leaving soon. Good luck, you'll be sad if you dunk me.

##vote numerrik

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

Ecco's SJW skeleton squad has deemed the ad hoc fatal justice as properly signified in English language dictionaries as lynching to be a doubleplusungood word and instead insist on interjecting semantically unrelated euphemisms for the concept. I continue to commit the thoughtcrime of unfiltered vocabulary.

Best post

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I dunno, it strikes me as deeply insensitive to the billions already lost to the Skeleton Wars.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Yeh it really was a good post. Lumpen is quite beautiful sometimes.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

##vote anonnarc it is

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I know Narc is crazy busy, I'll vote her to save my own scales but I don't think she's scum.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Somberbrero, I consider a refusal to specifically claim, but going so far as to softclaim a power role, quite Scummy.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Somberbrero posted:

I know Narc is crazy busy, I'll vote her to save my own scales but I don't think she's scum.

Just so everyone knows, I'm trying to get replaced in this game. I am insanely busy for the next week or so and shouldn't have signed up. So yeah my lovely posting mostly has to do with that.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Well, I thought the other interpretation was obvious. I've been lunched a lot day one and I thought it'd be nice not to have to worry about that.

If I were scum and taking Ernie seriously, why would that action make any sense? It'd just get me outed day one.

Like you said somewhere else in the thread, to paraphrase "Why care about that? there are plenty of other games starting around here". (Honest! I'll get around to mine!)
If you were scum and you knew you had a way to clear yourself D1, wouldn't it make sense to take it. It would only be nonsensical if you didn't believe Ernie. Hold up.
Yeah, thinking harder, there are definite holes or required assumptions for this to be plausible. The main point was the opportunism and intent for survival. It could swing that you just really really want to be a dragon.

Required assumptions for you to be scum: You believed Ernie, You would actually be cleared by a Lie detector thus you don't have a night kill.

Reading through, I do believe you believed Ernie. But the second part requires an odd scum set up. For reference, this would have worked for some players in a recent game where kills were restricted to certain scum players but moved as they died off. It was some sort of item game run by some mod or other.
But it's a lot of set-up speculation required for a game that doesn't show any signs of being out of the ordinary thus far.

I have an assumption which, you can try to breadcrumb to me I guess. If I'm right that you have some specific reason to survive that doesn't rely on you being scum, then that would make the most sense to me.

But you're right, for now there is no reason currently to pursue this.

##unvote

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

I'm setting a phone alarm but I need to do other things, so I might not return before deadline (I probably will).

right now I still want somber to die more than anyone else, I've shown his points to be bad and scummy and there are other things like what Lumpen is saying that are scummy.

MC ED is a pretty probably scumbo but I am less inclined to kill him tonight than AnonNarc, I think.

I think somber is the best mix of probability of being scum and probability of being able to find something that incriminates others based on if he flips town or scum.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Just so everyone knows, I'm trying to get replaced in this game. I am insanely busy for the next week or so and shouldn't have signed up. So yeah my lovely posting mostly has to do with that.

ugh this stuff sucks so close to a deadline, just makes me feel like narc is a power role or scum or both. I don't like the WIFOM or whatever that comes with this type of behaviour.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

We could save Opop the hassle of finding a replacement who is probably terrible and just dunk her

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

I'm setting a phone alarm but I need to do other things, so I might not return before deadline (I probably will).

right now I still want somber to die more than anyone else, I've shown his points to be bad and scummy and there are other things like what Lumpen is saying that are scummy.

MC ED is a pretty probably scumbo but I am less inclined to kill him tonight than AnonNarc, I think.

I think somber is the best mix of probability of being scum and probability of being able to find something that incriminates others based on if he flips town or scum.

You've shown how you could consider my posts to be bad, which does not imply alignment. You have not shown how you could consider my posts to be scummy.

You've also shown zero doubt that I will flip scum, as evidenced by your preemptive disbelief in me claiming a power role. I find that ridiculous. As sure as I am that you are scum, and I am very sure, I know there's a chance I could be wrong. I don't think much of your reasoning and I too often make the mistake of bad ! = scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

ugh this stuff sucks so close to a deadline, just makes me feel like narc is a power role or scum or both. I don't like the WIFOM or whatever that comes with this type of behaviour.

narc is replacing, therefore, narc is scum/power role/both.

how the gently caress is this guy leading today's dunk?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

Reading through, I do believe you believed Ernie. But the second part requires an odd scum set up. For reference, this would have worked for some players in a recent game where kills were restricted to certain scum players but moved as they died off. It was some sort of item game run by some mod or other.
But it's a lot of set-up speculation required for a game that doesn't show any signs of being out of the ordinary thus far.

This is true, I'm mostly ignoring it because of everything else to do with Somb.

Narc replacing out makes me feel ughhh but also like I'd still kill Narc, and MC ED is a claimed busdriver but I think for reasons that I'm 100% not going into that I'd like to keep him/her alive.

if you want a lazy lynch Narc is way better than accountantman. Someone is going to replace in D2 to a player who has been actively scummy > a lurker who imo reads town.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

You've shown how you could consider my posts to be bad, which does not imply alignment. You have not shown how you could consider my posts to be scummy.

You've also shown zero doubt that I will flip scum, as evidenced by your preemptive disbelief in me claiming a power role. I find that ridiculous. As sure as I am that you are scum, and I am very sure, I know there's a chance I could be wrong. I don't think much of your reasoning and I too often make the mistake of bad ! = scum.

You can misrepresent my reasoning as much as you want, you've demonstrated an inability to understand me and I'm not going to keep bashing my head against a wall.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

narc is replacing, therefore, narc is scum/power role/both.

how the gently caress is this guy leading today's dunk?

anyone wants my reasoning on anything somb asks then ask me about it, otherwise I'm just going to assume it doesn't matter to anyone and not poo poo up the thread

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

You can misrepresent my reasoning as much as you want, you've demonstrated an inability to understand me and I'm not going to keep bashing my head against a wall.

It's not my inability to understand you, it's your inability to communicate effectively. If you're town, how can you look at the votes on your case and think 'Yes, I'm doing a good thing.'

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Because he is. He's having fun, that's kind of the point of a game, ya'll.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie. posted:

this post is a lie, by the way and i can prove it to everyone

if you're so against lying why do you continue to do it?

Walk me through this one Ernie.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about you guys but I am occasionally using the word "lunch" because my phone apparently doesn't think lynch is a real word

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

10 am isn't too early for lunch, right?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

##vote Ernie

His vote on Narc is picking an easy target for newbie tells. I think he should know better than that for a D1 lynch.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

##vote Ernie

His vote on Narc is picking an easy target for newbie tells. I think he should know better than that for a D1 lynch.

who will you vote other than this because it's pretty close to deadline I think you know this probably isn't likely

I for one don't want it.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

1 hr 41 mins, my gf is back and I'm doing other things.

Kinda hope this thread kicks into action whilst I'm not away.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Votes are in good places for the most part. I think there are more merits to voting for Anon than Somber though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

TheRam posted:

who will you vote other than this because it's pretty close to deadline I think you know this probably isn't likely

I for one don't want it.

In a voting out "anti-town" kind of way I'd vote for merk, numerrik, AnonNarc. Here anti-town means low content and lurking. I've excluded Hal because I won't vote for Hal.
I'd rather not vote for numerrik or AnonNarc as they are new. I don't want to vote for Somber because until further developments present themselves, his opportunism isn't strictly scummy in this instance.

• Locked thread