Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Star Warrior X posted:

I was with you until 'non-remunerated' was pronounced 'non-renumerated' and broke me out of it.
...poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

chiefnewo posted:

So are you a detective or a do-all detective/beat cop/CSI in this game? If you're only meant to be a detective you should treat it like the show CSI does, except from the detective's viewpoint. When CSI arrives on the scene you point them at the areas you want them to focus on, then later the results pop up. That way it's more of a high level "assess the scene" type thing where you get to do some detective work deciding what is most important for CSI to look into. Get the areas and priorities right and you get better and more helpful evidence, get it wrong and you have less to go on and may have to hope for more luck from your witnesses.

You're a do-all with a lot of nuisance-mitigation: your very first case functions a lot like a tutorial, and requires you to do it all: examine the scene, gather evidence, canvas for witnesses, follow up on statements, and once you've narrowed your suspect pool to a handful of people, decide how to close the case (arrest & interrogate, intimidate, frame). However, after the first case you can slowly build up a network of trusted beat cops, detectives, and lab techs to automate some or all of the investigation. Assigning flunkies is a two-edged sword, as they are capable of both making honest mistakes and explicitly betraying you for a variety of reasons. Originally you did everything by yourself, but I really like the flunky mechanic, as it lets you skip any of the investigation that you don't like, and it lets me put more pressure on the player by assigning a heavier caseload than they can handle, because they always have an escape hatch in the form of pawning off work onto others. The more flunkies you use, and the more you have them do, the less reliable their work becomes, but it gives you a tool to prioritize investigations and keep things from ever stagnating.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So it's been a while since I've been posted here, but after a few game jams (granted as much as they were trainwrecks or something went wrong) I have gotten attention with goons who wanted me to use me as an artist.

So I'm working with SharpenedSpoon on our prototype game, and he got me spline which is great but uh..

Still need to work some kinks out. :v: (That twitchy foot)

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Bert of the Forest posted:

Speaking of blog posts, I decided last night to try my hand at the whole Gamasutra blog posting thing - since there was a topic I've been wanting to talk about for a while now so just decided to do a thing about it and to my surprise it got featured on the Gamasutra Art page this morning! It's mostly about art and character design stuff but if any of ya'll are interested - here's a link:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/NicholasLives/20150311/238452/Whats_in_an_quotIconquot.php

So uh... when you say "tenants" in your article, do you mean "tenets?"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shindragon posted:

So it's been a while since I've been posted here, but after a few game jams (granted as much as they were trainwrecks or something went wrong) I have gotten attention with goons who wanted me to use me as an artist.

So I'm working with SharpenedSpoon on our prototype game, and he got me spline which is great but uh..

Still need to work some kinks out. :v: (That twitchy foot)

Is he supposed to be walking backwards?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hence why I said work some kinks out. :v:

Someone pointed that out in the IRC gamedev channel.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Hence why I said work some kinks out. :v:

Someone pointed that out in the IRC gamedev channel.

You've also got strange velocity curves (why does he slam his left hand forward so quickly?) and he lets go of his walking stick and probably like 3 other things that would be easier to spot if he wasn't twitchy and walking backwards :v:

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Sigma-X posted:

You've also got strange velocity curves (why does he slam his left hand forward so quickly?) and he lets go of his walking stick and probably like 3 other things that would be easier to spot if he wasn't twitchy and walking backwards :v:

Whatever improvements you do to this image, he definitely needs to keep letting go of the walking stick. That should be a feature, not a bug.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
Anyone had issues with not being able to click on the text entry part of a Unity EditorGUI.Slider if the slider is less than a certain size before? Does anyone know if there's a fix other than making the slider bigger?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xD3NpSTlOk

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
You need to get with Kepa from Rockatcat Games, do some cross promo. Like, you're showering with your dad while he gets ready to go off and fight monsters in Dad By The Sword or something. Create a whole Dad IP.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

AntiPseudonym posted:

On the topic of Maya LT, 2016 is coming out soon and it finally has Spline IK and cluster deformers! :swoon:

(Also some other stuff but hell with that, I can finally rig my quadrupeds!)

With their subscription-based model does that mean that if you cancel your subscription then you won't be able to use the tool anymore or is it like UE4 where you just won't get updates anymore?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

StickFigs posted:

With their subscription-based model does that mean that if you cancel your subscription then you won't be able to use the tool anymore or is it like UE4 where you just won't get updates anymore?

UE4's model is stunningly, unusually generous in this respect. Autodesk(and Adobe) subscriptions tragically do not work that way :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

floofyscorp posted:

UE4's model is stunningly, unusually generous in this respect. Autodesk(and Adobe) subscriptions tragically do not work that way :(

Especially now that there is no subscription model and it's just free.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

mutata posted:

Especially now that there is no subscription model and it's just free.

Well, yeah. Clearly they didn't want the money as much as they wanted people using their stuff. Autodesk and Adobe occupy much less competitive markets(because they just keep buying up their competition).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

floofyscorp posted:

... kiiiind of. The equivalent is imagine Autodesk being super generous and giving their tools away for a nominal fee - but you have to pay them a percentage of any revenue you make from the sale of any assets you create.

Which isn't to say UE4's deal is bad - it's GREAT - but they very much get their money in the end.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

floofyscorp posted:

In that case the subscription model seems like a lovely deal unless you only plan on using Maya for 25 months then never again.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think Autodesk's (and possible also Adobe's) approach to the matter is that everyone is already using their tools through :filez: so the subscription is an affordable way to 'go legit'. Autodesk still offers perpetual licenses, too.

I think Adobe's lack of perpetual licenses is more about getting money forever from people who don't actually need their tools but don't really know any better, though they probably make a tidy profit off business users too.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 12, 2015

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

hailthefish posted:

I think Adobe's lack of perpetual licenses is more about getting money forever from people who don't actually need their tools but don't really know any better, though they probably make a tidy profit off business users too.
Plus what could they possibly add to Photoshop to make it worth an upgrade each year?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Plus what could they possibly add to Photoshop to make it worth an upgrade each year?

More automation.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Now with more invasive Adobe Bridge!

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
More content-aware poo poo.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
quick question: what's the point of using sprite sheets over individual images for each frame of animation or whatever?

thanks for the answers ya'll

whalestory fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 12, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

whalestory posted:

quick question: what's the point of using sprite sheets over individual images for each frame of animation or whatever?

Your underlying code can draw them all from the same individual asset, meaning you don't need to handle a ton of individual images, just have your engine render different parts of the same graphic when it needs them. Less overhead for loading and clearing the files leading to better performance. Also lowers your overall draw count, which is not a bad thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

whalestory posted:

AFAIK there isn't really one, its just however you want to output or store the images.

That said, when loading textures into video memory, it can be useful to precompile them into a large texture atlas rather than load a ton of small images and rely on the graphics API to efficiently index and pack them or whatever.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Out of necessity, I'm now pitching in and helping out the programmers with getting visual assets into a project that's sorely behind. Thing is, I'm not remotely an artist, and I guess some of the artists we have working on the project aren't really either. Is there a good resource out there that's basically "Sprites and Animation for Complete Mongoloids"? I don't need to know how to make them, just how to get them in a game and optimize them, deal with different sprite sizes & aspect ratios or whatever etc etc. TBH, I have no idea what I'll be dealing with.

And yes, I know this is an idiotic situation, but it's seeming like if I don't do it, nobody's gonna.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Out of necessity, I'm now pitching in and helping out the programmers with getting visual assets into a project that's sorely behind.

What's your engine and language?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Now with more invasive Adobe Bridge!

2016 Update: Bridge button automatically pops up under your mouse cursor whenever you click.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stick100 posted:

What's your engine and language?

Unity 4.6, C#. I'm digging through the manual and scripting reference, but any kind of resource that doesn't assume I know what I'm doing in the first place would be helpful.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

MockingQuantum posted:

Out of necessity, I'm now pitching in and helping out the programmers with getting visual assets into a project that's sorely behind. Thing is, I'm not remotely an artist, and I guess some of the artists we have working on the project aren't really either. Is there a good resource out there that's basically "Sprites and Animation for Complete Mongoloids"? I don't need to know how to make them, just how to get them in a game and optimize them, deal with different sprite sizes & aspect ratios or whatever etc etc. TBH, I have no idea what I'll be dealing with.

And yes, I know this is an idiotic situation, but it's seeming like if I don't do it, nobody's gonna.

People on here recommended TexturePacker pro and it's the best 50 bucks you could spent once you have the animations exported into bitmap sequences. It basically pushes in as many frames as it can into a single spritesheet by a simple folder click n drag. We went from 1000+ files to like 8, and from 1 GB to 100 MB in literally a couple of hours. i hope that helps out.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

whalestory posted:

TexturePacker's site does a pretty good job of summing it up: https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker/tutorials (even if they are obviously biased :v:)

Hardware-wise it's the most efficient way of rendering, since multiple small images are much more expensive than one big image. I wouldn't recommend making them by hand though, as a texture packing algorithm will produce much better results without messing with your artist's workflow.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

StickFigs posted:

More content-aware poo poo.

GIMP's colour to alpha script that has existed for years :D

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

whalestory posted:

It's easier on your sprite artist ;-*

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

unlurked posted:

Yes, that post made the rounds (Hacker News plus anything resembling Lisp is crazy). I have some regrets now about the choice of Tinyscheme (it's incredibly slow) and how I implemented the C++ <-> Tinyscheme bridge, but overall it allowed us to get the scripting going very fast, so it's a net gain overall.

yeah, I wanted to ask was if the speed was a serious negative factor. I've been trying to find a good lisp that doesn't break under C++ and also compiles to byte code for loading later and have still not yet found one. I'm starting to think I'm going to go with mruby as an embedded scripting language for anything I do in the future. I never really touched it (Ruby) until recently and it's not a completely terrible language. I don't really want anything to do with its community though, that just seems like a whole world I don't want to deal with. If http://duktape.org worked well with C++ (it doesn't, it breaks because of how it does error handling and yielding) I would probably end up using that even though I despise JS (but I like TypeScript, so that would lessen the pain, I suppose)

Oh well! :v:

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

SAHChandler posted:

yeah, I wanted to ask was if the speed was a serious negative factor. I've been trying to find a good lisp that doesn't break under C++ and also compiles to byte code for loading later and have still not yet found one. I'm starting to think I'm going to go with mruby as an embedded scripting language for anything I do in the future. I never really touched it (Ruby) until recently and it's not a completely terrible language. I don't really want anything to do with its community though, that just seems like a whole world I don't want to deal with. If http://duktape.org worked well with C++ (it doesn't, it breaks because of how it does error handling and yielding) I would probably end up using that even though I despise JS (but I like TypeScript, so that would lessen the pain, I suppose)

Oh well! :v:

For embedding scripting, isn't lua the normal choice?
Do you know how it compares to your pick?
Another option might be to write/generate your own dsl to keep overhead low.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
So if you have a bunch of stats, and you need an algorithm to get yes/no answers with them, how do you go about starting to figure it out? I know tabletop has a number of canonical systems that people use and riff all over... should I pretty much learn how D&D (or <insert your favorite system>) works at a systems level and work from there, or is there a more generic approach to start from?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

People on here recommended TexturePacker pro and it's the best 50 bucks you could spent once you have the animations exported into bitmap sequences. It basically pushes in as many frames as it can into a single spritesheet by a simple folder click n drag. We went from 1000+ files to like 8, and from 1 GB to 100 MB in literally a couple of hours. i hope that helps out.

Yeah, I looked into it, but it does preclude that A) I have the money to spend on it, which I don't, and B) that I know my way around basic animation systems to begin with, which isn't true. I'm thinking I need to remove myself from the situation, actually, otherwise I'm going to end up creating more work than I save, and become an artificial bottleneck in the process.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

So if you have a bunch of stats, and you need an algorithm to get yes/no answers with them, how do you go about starting to figure it out? I know tabletop has a number of canonical systems that people use and riff all over... should I pretty much learn how D&D (or <insert your favorite system>) works at a systems level and work from there, or is there a more generic approach to start from?

What are you trying to figure out exactly? Most tabletop RPG systems are about rolling dice (usually d6, d10, or d20) and trying to achieve a target number. Modifiers can raise/lower this target number.

I don't know why you would need a yes/no value unless you were checking for a threshold.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

al-azad posted:

What are you trying to figure out exactly? Most tabletop RPG systems are about rolling dice (usually d6, d10, or d20) and trying to achieve a target number. Modifiers can raise/lower this target number.

I don't know why you would need a yes/no value unless you were checking for a threshold.

Messing with a sports idea, so you've got one guy going for a ball, and an optional opponent either going for the ball or going for the guy. The ball is either caught or not (or caught by one guy or the other); the calculation deals with stuff like a catching skill, degree of difficulty of the catch, defender skill, etc. The only systems experience I have like this is from a MUSH awhile back that used FUDGE, which did a lot of yes-or-no actions, but really, screw FUDGE. So some basic reading might be the way to go.

Figuring out the scale of stats is probably another question entirely, but right now I'm assuming 0-100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Someone mentioned ragdolls in Unity 5 being fubar and that's definitely what I've been finding. Seems like maybe Character Joints are bugged or maybe just they expect radically different values. Anyone else screwing around with it?