Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So it isn't only me. Even when I could afford the supplies there just isn't enough supplies in multiple star systems to keep any fleet combat effective no matter how well you played or how few ships you committed. Restoring CR is just taking far, far too many supplies with the accident rate from lack of said supplies is through the roof costing even more supplies. At this point I am just using console commands to give me supplies or else it is just unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Try going to Magec and buy a few things from the black market at Maxios. Because it's so tiny, the next market update will make it decivilized and you'll be able to pick up around 50 supplies from the black market for about $50 each and fuel for $20. This effectively closes their open market save a few guns, which will disrupt trade in the rest of the system, allowing you to sell any goods you loot for ridiculous prices.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 12, 2015

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I'd guess there's a bug in the economy seeding when you start a new game that causes that to crop up occasionally. I've never seen supplies above 450 and I can count on getting them on the cheap in thracia or magec virtually 100% of the time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need supplies in the 100's not in 50's on a black market. Open and military markets only sell the thing in single or low tens. Regardless of price there is just isn't enough supplies.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I kind of avoid that problem by just running around with a 20-logistic frigate fleet.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Yeah, 800-cred supplies sounds like either a bug or like one of the mods you have installed is messing with the economy. Try disabling a few and restarting? I've never seen them go over ~400c (during a shortage! ~180c normally) either, and I play with SS+ and a pile of factions.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is boring as all hell. I like rumbling in with carriers and battleships kicking down doors on peoples homeworlds causing millions of credits of damage.

Supplies previously use to be a lot more plentiful which made fielding large fleets possible. Whbat ever has happened, someone has seriously messed with the economy is a bad way.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I don't have any supplies issue with my install of SS+. They normally sell for around 40-50 on average and occasionally I can find a place that's offering them for 10. 200 is the usual 'basic trade interruption' price.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Yeah, there must be something fishy going on, 'cus Maxios worked just like it was suggested so now I actually own another frigate. My mod loadout is:

SS+ 2.6.6+
Blackcock Jivenards 0.7.3
Hiigaran Descendants 1.1.0
Interstellar Imperium 1.7.2
Scy 0.8.9
Shadowyards 0.5.2.3
Common Radar 1.1(weird zero thing with a line through it)
Console Commands 2.3
Lazy 2.0b, Twig 0.6.5p, Shader 1.05

One or more might be out of date, though, as I just booted up an install from a few weeks back.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taerkar posted:

I don't have any supplies issue with my install of SS+. They normally sell for around 40-50 on average and occasionally I can find a place that's offering them for 10. 200 is the usual 'basic trade interruption' price.
Price issue aside, I just don't have access to enough supplies period. Even in battle where I intentionally have the odds against me, there is barely enough supplies to cover the CR expended. That is with like 2-3 frigates and a Medusa. Knocking over large pirate fleets gets something like 80 Supplies. The only fleets that come close to being supply positive are trade fleets.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
On the subject of good destroyers, the Blackrock Scorpion is also pretty great. Its kind of made of glass like most Blackrock ships but its really good at punching other ships in the mouth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oohhboy posted:

So it isn't only me. Even when I could afford the supplies there just isn't enough supplies in multiple star systems to keep any fleet combat effective no matter how well you played or how few ships you committed. Restoring CR is just taking far, far too many supplies with the accident rate from lack of said supplies is through the roof costing even more supplies. At this point I am just using console commands to give me supplies or else it is just unplayable.

If you're having problems with getting enough supplies to run your ships full stop, this won't help as much, but one thing you can do if you're low on supplies is go into the fleet screen and suspend repairs/restoring CR on ships after battle, it will stop them eating through your supplies before you reach port.

It's a very useful thing for when you don't have a lot of supplies banked and find that the after-battle recovery restricts your movement a lot.

oohhboy posted:

Price issue aside, I just don't have access to enough supplies period. Even in battle where I intentionally have the odds against me, there is barely enough supplies to cover the CR expended. That is with like 2-3 frigates and a Medusa. Knocking over large pirate fleets gets something like 80 Supplies. The only fleets that come close to being supply positive are trade fleets.

You shouldn't be needing 80 supplies to field a couple of frigates and a medusa, unless the medusa got a shitload more expensive since last I played (wouldn't be a bad thing, IMO).

Are you getting shot up a lot? That will seriously eat into your supplies, and you will need to make up for that by selling goods you recover from the fleet and buying things with the money.

What frigates are you using? Ideally your first couple should be freighter frigates to let you carry more loot, and do you need to field them in battle? I believe the more forces you deploy the more the enemy can deploy at once too, so they might be doing you more harm than good.

Also, how many times are you deploying? Each round of the fight you deploy in will take a set chunk off your combat readiness, so don't field your medusa to pursue a fleeing tanker, and don't fight in more rounds than you have to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 12, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Damage is pretty minimal most of the time, a day worth of repair. I normally only deploy once due to the horrid supply issue and money isn't the issue, there is just isn't enough supplies to buy for all the credits in the sector. I am using 20 supplies a day just to restore CR. It's just insane. The frigates was a tempest and a tri-tec drone ship. Normal consumption is only at 2.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

oohhboy posted:

Damage is pretty minimal most of the time, a day worth of repair. I normally only deploy once due to the horrid supply issue and money isn't the issue, there is just isn't enough supplies to buy for all the credits in the sector. I am using 20 supplies a day just to restore CR. It's just insane. The frigates was a tempest and a tri-tec drone ship. Normal consumption is only at 2.

I have never seen a place run out of supplies. There's always hundreds, usually a thousand-stack of supplies at stations. Prices between <50 (surplus) and >200(shortage). Something must be off with your mods interacting.

As for running supply positive purely on fighting - that's very rare and depends on what you fight and how the drop RNG works out. But it's not something you should be aiming for anyway - supplies are cheap and plentiful when there's no mod issues and whatever you loot other than supplies easily makes enough money to resupply and still gain a little. Then you get your bounty money on top of that to make the actual profit.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was Hiigaran Descendants that was messing with the economy. They released another update that looks like it fixed the supply issue.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
What exactly do Construction Rigs do? Should I buy one?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
They slow down your fleet and cost supplies. You should not.

e: more seriously, I believe they let you recover CR and repair damage faster after combat. I still don't think they're really worth having around.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Not worth it at all. Don't bother.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

What exactly do Construction Rigs do? Should I buy one?

Boosts repair speed of 1 ship by 50%, increases chance to recover one of your destroyed ships by 20% (goes down if your fleet is more than 50 fleet points large) and reduces the chance that a successfully boarded ship is wrecked beyond repair by 25% (to a minimum of 10%). But it has the burn speed of a cruiser and not enough OP for Augmented Engines/Overdrive Shunt. Sounds handy if you actually board things regularly and also get your poo poo wrecked while driving a big capital fleat.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 13, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That actually doesn't seem to bad.

Every now and then I'll get a bounty to wreck a deserted hegemony Supreme Commander fleet, and they usually have about 3 of them.

Maybe I should get one too.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Okay, thanks. Probably won't buy one for my raiding fleet, speed is important for catching traders and outrunning the long arm of the law, but I could see having one or two in storage and taking them along with you if you're deliberately heading into a major capship fight.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I had a big ol' bounty on my head and I killed all the bounty hunters (white circle around fleet) and now the Independents are hostile to me :saddowns:

Like what the hell am I supposed to do, just let them kill me?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Independents are assholes, I saved one of their planets from a food shortage with a big cargo hold full of food I 'liberated' from the Sindrian Diktat and they had an investigation in which they concluded that I caused the food shortage in the first place. I hadn't even been in that system, assholes! :arghfist:

I also keep being found guilty in smuggling investigations on Independent planets I've never so much as touched the black market on. gently caress Independents.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

The Independents are assholes, I saved one of their planets from a food shortage with a big cargo hold full of food I 'liberated' from the Sindrian Diktat and they had an investigation in which they concluded that I caused the food shortage in the first place. I hadn't even been in that system, assholes! :arghfist:

I also keep being found guilty in smuggling investigations on Independent planets I've never so much as touched the black market on. gently caress Independents.

Killing a relief fleet in orbit to sell the food, or vastly overselling food compared to the need can get you investigated.

I think you got your hand caught in the cookie jar there =P

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TBH the independents aren't much better than Pirates and hardly anyone will care if you bloody their nose for that poo poo. They don't even have sweet sweet military markets to slob their knobs for access.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 13, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Murder all independents.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

One or more might be out of date, though, as I just booted up an install from a few weeks back.

Get the version checker mod, it's pretty simple to set up and is dead useful.

oohhboy posted:

At this point I am just using console commands to give me supplies or else it is just unplayable.

Console Commands just came out with an update that allows you to toggle whether ships actually drain fuel/supplies while flying around. It's worth keeping some because you still spend fuel/supplies when using a jump point/repair at a dock respectively, but other than that, it's great.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Just go away already :smithicide:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

So, unless you do a lot of interstellar travel, is there any good reason to use a Heron instead of two Geminis? The only places the Heron has significantly better stats are the fuel usage (3 vs 2x2), armor rating (750 vs 250), and in combat speed (90 vs 50), and the Geminis have way better weapon slots, cost less to deploy, less than half the skeleton crew requirement, and each one has the same cargo capacity as the Heron.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unreal_One posted:

So, unless you do a lot of interstellar travel, is there any good reason to use a Heron instead of two Geminis? The only places the Heron has significantly better stats are the fuel usage (3 vs 2x2), armor rating (750 vs 250), and in combat speed (90 vs 50), and the Geminis have way better weapon slots, cost less to deploy, less than half the skeleton crew requirement, and each one has the same cargo capacity as the Heron.

The Heron is an actual warship that takes some effort to kill and can be better equipped for a long range support role (can you say 6x tac lasers, advanced optics, and a cruiser scale targeting computer?).

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The Heron looks a lot cooler. It's also better as a pure carrier because of the speed, peak performance and less total deployment points. Mostly the speed as you don't have to babysit it in large battles.

I attacked a pirate smuggler and it turned into an independent smuggler. When will they add orbital bombardment.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What are people's opinions of the extra pirate ships that Starsector+ adds? (I think those are Starsector+ ships, at least...)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

dis astranagant posted:

Boosts repair speed of 1 ship by 50%, increases chance to recover one of your destroyed ships by 20% (goes down if your fleet is more than 50 fleet points large) and reduces the chance that a successfully boarded ship is wrecked beyond repair by 25% (to a minimum of 10%). But it has the burn speed of a cruiser and not enough OP for Augmented Engines/Overdrive Shunt. Sounds handy if you actually board things regularly and also get your poo poo wrecked while driving a big capital fleat.

Huh! I've ignored them in the past, but that actually sounds like it might be useful for my own playstyle - unlike apparently a lot of people here, I mostly ignore combat skills in favor of fleet command and tech skills and build up a big ol' battle fleet without a supership brawler to do all the heavy lifting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

-Troika- posted:

What are people's opinions of the extra pirate ships that Starsector+ adds? (I think those are Starsector+ ships, at least...)

I like how hilariously overgunned some of them are but the AI's usually pretty bad at using them since most come with an awful shield they can't resist overusing. Some of the rarer pirate ships like Venom-X and Tiger are fun, but they still don't tend to have enough vents to handle their ridiculous armaments.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 13, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Two things: Gauss Cannons are loving amazing, and a Sunder-U armed with a Tachyon Lance, twin Graviton Lasers, and tactical lasers just melts everything.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
For ballistic, I generally favor the less point-cost weapons, especially in large and medium slots on larger ships. I mean a 16 gun may not be quite as good as a 25, but that's 9 more points you can put into vents and capacitors and hull mods and you've got 10 slots on the thing anyway; you're going for volume not individual guns. Plus, the lower point cost weapons are generally more flux efficient.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Bhodi posted:

For ballistic, I generally favor the less point-cost weapons, especially in large and medium slots on larger ships. I mean a 16 gun may not be quite as good as a 25, but that's 9 more points you can put into vents and capacitors and hull mods and you've got 10 slots on the thing anyway; you're going for volume not individual guns. Plus, the lower point cost weapons are generally more flux efficient.

Use the gauss cannons to pound down shields from a distance, then close in with lances and EMP/Melt stuff. My cruiser has enough vents where it vents in ~9s anyway, which isn't a big deal.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Does anybody here play with the project ironclads mod? I found it pretty good, and the economy works... well, mostly. I've seen trade disruptions on a planet while a different faction station is all good literally right next to it. It does completely replace the ships and weapons, but I kind of like the replacements (the Idaho carrier is OP as gently caress though).

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Rorac posted:

Does anybody here play with the project ironclads mod? I found it pretty good, and the economy works... well, mostly. I've seen trade disruptions on a planet while a different faction station is all good literally right next to it. It does completely replace the ships and weapons, but I kind of like the replacements (the Idaho carrier is OP as gently caress though).

I played with Ironclads a long time ago, back when there was still only one system; haven't had a chance to try it in a good couple of years.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I tried Ironclads recently. The ships and guns were really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Anyway to speed up the load time because holy poo poo it take me less time to load up any other game in steam...