Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Another Google Drive phishing e-mail made the rounds today and people actually fell for it even though the page looks nothing like the actual Google Drive login. Background image is compressed to all hell too.

And Chrome and Safari throw up a big old warning saying "Don't Go Here" and yet people still did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sham I Am posted:

I predict that the resolution will end with the CEO saying "as long as its working now", and no one will ever think of it again; except in 3 months while in a staff meeting the VP will comment on how IT lost his email when he first started.

Close! VP finally explained that it was in fact emails the CEO sent him that are missing. CEO is out of the office until the 19th, so I guess I'll talk to her then (except she'll be swamped and brush me off and none of this ever happened).

As with so many IT stories, anti-climatic as hell.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Please to doing the needful

I was so happy when I finally saw someone say that in an email.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
You never forget your first "do the needful"

until they start piling in

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was so happy when I finally saw someone say that in an email.

I remember when I would only see that in emails from outsourcing companies based India. Now I'm seeing it used by everyone in the Project/Account Management team. I'm afraid it's become an official part of "Business Speak", like "synergies".

I really want to respond to some of my PMs and go, "You know, you don't have to use an idiom that didn't translate well to English. You can just say 'please do what is necessary'."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flosofl posted:

I remember when I would only see that in emails from outsourcing companies based India. Now I'm seeing it used by everyone in the Project/Account Management team. I'm afraid it's become an official part of "Business Speak", like "synergies".

I really want to respond to some of my PMs and go, "You know, you don't have to use an idiom that didn't translate well to English. You can just say 'please do what is necessary'."

It's an English phrase that the Indians kept, like they kept Cricket :ssh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Are you serious? I was always under the impression that is was an idiom that didn't translate well or something. Is it still in use in the UK? Or is it considered an archaism? I've worked for company that had a London office, and I've never seen them use that phrase in any of the projects we collaborated on.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why this keeps coming up so often? Yeah, it's different, but at least you know what it means. Compared to the gibberish that comes from the ticket jockeys in Guadalajara, the Indian help desk can at least spell, string together coherent sentences and actually gather relevant information.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Volmarias posted:

And they can have it, like they can have cricket.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flosofl posted:

Are you serious? I was always under the impression that is was an idiom that didn't translate well or something. Is it still in use in the UK? Or is it considered an archaism? I've worked for company that had a London office, and I've never seen them use that phrase in any of the projects we collaborated on.

Yes it's an outdated term. British and American writers/speakers would have used it in business back in the 19th century, it fell out of fashion by like, world war ii.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A box came in.

I ordered an old 4:3 Dell monitor from a surplus liquidator for a specific need. Two arrived! Double-checking payment, we did indeed pay for only one.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Since this is the ticket thread who would you guys say is the best: Zendesk, Freshdesk, Spiceworks or something else? I like the agent collision thing on Freshdesk but I don't want to pay $40 a month per head to get it for essentially a 4 man shop.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chickenwalker posted:

Since this is the ticket thread who would you guys say is the best: Zendesk, Freshdesk, Spiceworks or something else? I like the agent collision thing on Freshdesk but I don't want to pay $40 a month per head to get it for essentially a 4 man shop.

Spiceworks is fantastic, but doesn't scale well beyond 500-ish devices and SMB needs. If you're a four-man team, you should be fine.

If you don't already have environment scanning / inventorying / monitoring and don't need all the features of a more expensive monitoring solution like Solarwinds, give it consideration. The community of Spiceworks is bloody fantastic.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ugh, I can't stand spiceworks. The combo of the ads and the idiots on their forums.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The ads are annoying, the latency when doing anything is worse.
But at least its free.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Uh oh, internal drama! Our head of sale is on the warpath against almost every other department.

He sold our new product to a big clients and apparently misrepresented it so badly that now they want it gone after just a few weeks. Almost all their problems can be summarized with "This feature is not what we wanted or what we were promised", and one complaint about support not responding to their emails, which is a flat out lie. I was the one on that case and DID respond, but they never replied back to me. Thank god for documentation :)

So the head of sales is firing off emails to everyone demanding an explanation about everything. "Why is this feature not working??"(it's a feature that only exists in your head) "why didn't support follow up on all the emails they sent?" (they sent one email and I responded to it when I was supposed to).

This is gonna be fun!

Oh and I suspect one of our crazy customers is dead. Poor guy used to call us once or twice a week and talk about his cancer and other equally depressing things. He has stopped calling.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A call came in, an ancient application is not functioning correctly.
Attemps to flatten the machine and reinstall from the package did not resolve the problem.

It complains about an OCX file missing.

Turns out the OCX file does exist, but it can't be registered, it seems a dependency is missing.
Pulling out the heavy tools.

I run Dumpbin from the MS development tools to get the imports table, and I find:
:gonk: MSVBVM50.DLL :gonk:

Yeah, this application depends on the Visual Basic 5.0 runtime. So I get to download and install a file from 1997 from Microsoft, on a Windows 7 system.
Honstly, I'm impressed the application still functions correctly. Right until MS stops supplying 32 bit operating systems.

Oh, and it's a medical system.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

I thought the English figured out cricket was boring as gently caress and decided to play soccer instead

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Moey posted:

Ugh, I can't stand spiceworks. The combo of the ads and the idiots on their forums.

What do you mean? Scott Allen Miller Storage Devices are the answer to ALL storage problems

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tigern posted:

Oh and I suspect one of our crazy customers is dead. Poor guy used to call us once or twice a week and talk about his cancer and other equally depressing things. He has stopped calling.

Well on the bright side you can probably close out any tickets he might have had!

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
One of our engineers (with pretty much no people skills) went on site to investigate a down server, and was quite shocked when most of the office staff started crying or giving him evil looks after he started joking about "This server is dead, it is no more, bereft of life it lies in peace..."

The owners daughter and grand-daughter were killed in a car crash the week before - all staff (including this guy) were briefed about it and told to treat them with maximum sensitivity

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bagpuss_UK posted:

One of our engineers (with pretty much no people skills) went on site to investigate a down server, and was quite shocked when most of the office staff started crying or giving him evil looks after he started joking about "This server is dead, it is no more, bereft of life it lies in peace..."

The owners daughter and grand-daughter were killed in a car crash the week before - all staff (including this guy) were briefed about it and told to treat them with maximum sensitivity

It seems like he was being extremely sensitive. I assume he wouldn't normally eulogize the server.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Chickenwalker posted:

We use Zendesk here for 12 agents and have been for a while. It works great for us. Though for four people it might not be the most cost efficient.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 13, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pr0digal posted:

We use Zendesk here for 12 agents and have been for a while. It works great for us. Though for four people it might not be the most cost efficient.

I've been demo-ing osTicket and WebHelpDesk (Solarwinds) and leaning toward Solarwinds (more for integration into the Orion stuff). Both are very flexible and customizable, and pretty cheap. osTicket is free if you don't want paid support or cloud hosting. For Solarwinds I got a quote of just under 10,000 per year for 15-20 technical analysts (unlimited customer access). I think for osTicket support was around 3,500 for the same amount of time and people.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I can't tell you what we pay for WebHelpDesk , but it's pretty ok provided you have competent people entering reliable information.

J
Jun 10, 2001

ilkhan posted:

The ads are annoying, the latency when doing anything is worse.
But at least its free.

I don't mind the ads for the most part but god drat the latency is annoying as gently caress. There is also a lack of feedback on certain actions that pisses me off, like deleting items from inventory.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

We're supposedly members of the Atlassian Expert community. Our lead guy wants to use Crowd, their SSO.
Thread, does anyone use it? How well does it integrate with 3rd party apps that don't have SAML or LDAP? What about 365?

that is all.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Chickenwalker posted:

Our department bought Kayako and I wouldn't recommend it. They picked it because our main IT department uses it. It's not bad but you could get more mileage out of something free for how we use it. 2 people. One person assigns tickets as they come in and the other person does the work. 2 other people, me being one of them, used to get tickets assigned to them but thankfully our department underwent changes and I got out of that sub-department.

They use it so "they" can see how productive we are. How do they see how much we're getting done? By a report from Kayako? Of course not. They would make us write up a weekly activity report in Word to see what we were doing because why use a reporting tool we pay for when we can waste more time by putting what we do in a ticket and then do it again in a Word doc.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

We've been trying to buy a new help desk solution for years. I spent at least two of those looking at them all and came away with: they're all poo poo, just pick one and deal with the shittiness.

If you're like us and have unrealistic expectations for what you want your solution to do for you, pick the one that you/the deciders hate the least.

Luckily I was able to hand over that project to a help desk manager when he was hired and he just kept using the same piece of poo poo we had (ManageEngine) and complained about it. Now at least they're back at it but have yet to settle on a replacement. I think they're going to get some cloud thing.

Not that it really matters since the admins don't even use it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Spiceworks is pretty neat, mostly by being free and doing a lot of automatic detection. It used to be pretty slow but there was an update I think last week? which revamped the interface and sped things up a lot.

Just a shame no one bothers to use my ticket email address.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zendesk is absolutely fine. All ticket systems are poo poo if they are used wrong, though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Syano posted:

What do you mean? Scott Allen Miller Storage Devices are the answer to ALL storage problems

My boss wants to know whats going on because I just started sniggering.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that the "this HP off eBay with a bunch of disk and OpenFiler is the same as a NetApp" guy?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Potato Salad posted:

A box came in.

I ordered an old 4:3 Dell monitor from a surplus liquidator for a specific need. Two arrived! Double-checking payment, we did indeed pay for only one.

Well doorstops are always handy.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

helpdeskchat: We use OTRS (just upgraded to v4), and it's been fine, but we don't use the features heavily, basically just email ingest, some basic filtering / assigning of tickets, and emails out. Also, searching for forum help gets you a lot of crazy Germans because I believe it's a German company, though that's also gotten better in the past few years. So basically, pros are free and it does the job, cons are it's not cloud (I think they do have a cloud version, but no idea on cost), and customizing it can be a bit wonky. Also the mobile app (that only exists for iPhone) sucks balls.

Edit: whatever you do don't get Serena Service Manager, one of our clients' parent companies bought that (for absurd amounts of money) and it doesn't even do, or at least they haven't figured out how to enable, email ingest. Everyone has to go to a page and fill out a form to file a ticket. :wtc:

AAB posted:

We're supposedly members of the Atlassian Expert community. Our lead guy wants to use Crowd, their SSO.
Thread, does anyone use it? How well does it integrate with 3rd party apps that don't have SAML or LDAP? What about 365?

that is all.

Hahaha oh god. Our crazy SF startup client that we finally got rid of last year slobbered Atlassian's knob like no other, and had Crowd set up for all their other Atlassian apps. I'll preface this by saying they were woefully behind on updates, and their JIRA setup for instance was two major versions behind, so it's possible Crowd has greatly improved, but my opinion of Crowd from that experience is that it's the Windows ME of SSO. It basically was supposed to create a cookie that would then act as the SSO for the other apps, except it almost never worked, so you had to keep logging in to the other apps, thus completely defeating the point. It did successfully act as an authentication provider, and we were going to even tie it to AD (which I briefly looked into and it didn't seem any trickier than other Linux->AD LDAP integrations, i.e. fiddle with the fields until you get exactly the right combination of quotes, DNs, and no spaces) but if you don't tie it to an auth provider and instead admin it directly, I recommend the more pleasant alternative of mixing up some gasoline and soap flakes, dunking your head in that, and setting it on fire.

Again, perhaps Atlassian has improved things even in the past four years because I'm sure this install was older than that (probably more like 2010 era), but in my experience it was a half-baked piece of poo poo that failed miserably at its intended goal and was a direct pain in my rear end as well as a constant and heavy timesuck for the onsite techs we had working that client, and I would recommend anyfuckingthing else. Okta, OneLogin, hell even ADFS.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 13, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We user service manager which is total overkill I feel like until you're sitting at 500+ users. It can do pretty much everything you just end up either getting really good at powershell and orchestrater customizing everything to your company or paying a poo poo ton of money to have an expert come in and do that for you.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Still makes me mad that BMC EOL'd Service Desk Express. It was a really good and crazy-flexible small- to mid-market tool.

Of course it sucked if you didn't config it right. Just like all of BMC's other products.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Potato Alley posted:

. Okta, OneLogin, hell even ADFS.

We're 100% up to date on all our Atlassian things because of the sperglords that manage em and most work really fluidly. Hell, the Jira helpdesk works sufficiently. For some reason though they're trying to say that this can compete with Okta. :laffo:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Let's not say things we're going to regret later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Of course it sucked if you didn't config it right. Just like all of BMC's other products.

Truer words. Where I ran remedy, it kicked rear end, but we put a shitton of engineering behind it precisely for that purpose.

• Locked thread