Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

two_step posted:

How do you do manual attacks with torpedo bombers?

Hold Alt for an attack vector. If I get to it I will make some lovely Paint diagram to explain my current tactics. The important part is to have your planes launch their torp without a delay, you can do this by either setting a waypoint and then going manual while they move there, or while they hover over a waypoint. If you give them a waypoint but set a manual attack vewctor which is too far away then they will circle around a bit until they get in position and this will foul up your run. Once you practice this a bit it becomes clear how it works and you will never go back to auto with torp bombers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

srb posted:

Doesn't help that all of the Japanese battleships up until the Yamato uses the same basic secondary armament configuration, which is anti-destroyer/anti-cruiser only, with only a few dual purpose guns (two AA emplacements per side; Amagi gets 4). Gonna really suck in comparison if the US battleship hull upgrades get 5" dual purpose batteries for the mid tiers, giving them probably double the effective AA of Myogi, Kongo and Fuso.

Tatsuta still has the most hilarious AA setup. Four big sandbagged platforms around the first funnel featuring all of of one Maxim gun each.

Pre and early-war AA really isn't much.

Wait a minute? Does the Yamato gets access to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Shiki_(anti-aircraft_shell)

If so, then Playing carriers in tier X is gonna suck if the player rolling in the Yamato knows how to deal with planes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I want to say the Russians did this, and also used KV1 turrets on some ships if I remember my reading correctly.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Wasn't this for something like shallow water patrol boats?

It was, and it was T-34/76 turrets rather than KV-1

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Delorence Fickle posted:

Wait a minute? Does the Yamato gets access to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Shiki_(anti-aircraft_shell)

If so, then Playing carriers in tier X is gonna suck if the player rolling in the Yamato knows how to deal with planes.

No, and a yammy with that is nothing compared to an Iowa, sodak or norcal.

An Iowa firing every barrel it has throws more weight of fire than a yammy doing the same. That's because in a minute the aa suite on it is firing about the same weight of shells as its main guns.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

Hold Alt for an attack vector. If I get to it I will make some lovely Paint diagram to explain my current tactics. The important part is to have your planes launch their torp without a delay, you can do this by either setting a waypoint and then going manual while they move there, or while they hover over a waypoint. If you give them a waypoint but set a manual attack vewctor which is too far away then they will circle around a bit until they get in position and this will foul up your run. Once you practice this a bit it becomes clear how it works and you will never go back to auto with torp bombers.

You can also set the direction they attack from by moving the little icon on the target circle.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

DannyH posted:

They should do the same thing they did with tanks, give us 250g daily and call it a day. It should not be complicated. I ran out of piasters to buy more ships.

That was discussed but I got the impression they are not fond about 250/day. They don't want everyone buying top tier premium ships and only using that our just blowing through the lower tiers altogether maybe?

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Velius posted:

One wonders how much of the old Navyfield crew will be getting into this. I put unbelievable amounts of time into that awful game, and I'm still a sicker for naval combat.

One feature I actually miss from NavyField is mounting different turrets and launchers directly, and deciding the ammo loadout. That was always fun, I thought. Too bad it was a part of the entire awful system. It would be fun if you could do stupid things with the mountings and gun options.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do American destroyer get some advantage to their torpedoes that off sets their huge lack of ranged compared to the Japanese destroyers?

It's like 4.5km vs 8km or something silly.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

BadLlama posted:

Do American destroyer get some advantage to their torpedoes that off sets their huge lack of ranged compared to the Japanese destroyers?

US torps are bad, if you like torps go Japanese.

The gimmick of the US DDs are the really good guns and the good AA. In a gun duel the higher tier US DDs murder the Japanese ones.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

srb posted:

One feature I actually miss from NavyField is mounting different turrets and launchers directly, and deciding the ammo loadout. That was always fun, I thought. Too bad it was a part of the entire awful system. It would be fun if you could do stupid things with the mountings and gun options.

At least it prevents pubbies from doing stupid poo poo with their ships. A durr loving durr, I'm not going to put any main guns on my Deutschland CA because I'm using it as a torpedo platform. :downs: Some stupid configurations could work really, really well, but most people were too awful to do it correctly.

How do the spotting mechanics actually work in this game? What about smoke? I'm never entirely certain when my DD is concealed by smoke. Does firing the main guns cause the smoke to stop?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

this game is good, much better than tanks.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

BadLlama posted:

The middle tier us torps are rough. 5.5km range really makes it tough. Just lay back and wait for them to stray into range or if you're savy you can catch someone coming around an island and light them up as you turn away. I believe the t7 gets 8.5km range so you aren't kicked in the nuts for too long.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

At least it prevents pubbies from doing stupid poo poo with their ships. A durr loving durr, I'm not going to put any main guns on my Deutschland CA because I'm using it as a torpedo platform. :downs: Some stupid configurations could work really, really well, but most people were too awful to do it correctly.

How do the spotting mechanics actually work in this game? What about smoke? I'm never entirely certain when my DD is concealed by smoke. Does firing the main guns cause the smoke to stop?

Firing guns from inside smoke can light you up and if they're not dumb they can shoot back at your shells. When you're safely in smoke there should be a white effect on your screen. Planes can spot you in smoke. It's fun as hell to do to a smug DD driver.
Spotting is ships literally have a range at which they get seen. That's it. Guns make it longer. I think the only ships that can fire at max range and not get lit are US DDs. Have fun hitting though.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I started firing AP instead of HE and holy poo poo even at tier 1 it makes a huge difference. Even if every shot doesn't deal as much damage the ones that do penetrate something important just absolutely wreck the enemy.

DannyH
May 10, 2008

demonR6 posted:

That was discussed but I got the impression they are not fond about 250/day. They don't want everyone buying top tier premium ships and only using that our just blowing through the lower tiers altogether maybe?

That is a somewhat dumb concern. it takes at least a month saving that gold to buy a tier 8 premium and that is without using it for all the other things you could use it for. It would probably lead to more sales to have a few play them beforehand.

How much are they anyways? I bought them in Alpha, played them both once, never played them again.
I found them to be total turds thou, but I am not a dumbo that lets them get within torpedo range and that is their only gimmick.

DannyH fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 13, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DannyH posted:

That is a somewhat dumb concern. it takes at least a month saving that gold to buy a tier 8 premium and that is without using it for all the other things you could use it for. It would probably lead to more sales to have a few play them beforehand.

I found them to be total turds thou, but I am not a dumbo that lets them get within torpedo range and that is their only gimmick.

They're both vicious close range gimmick ships. If they can lurk around islands or buddy up with destroyers to smoke their advance they can be hilarious.

Unfortunately the Atlanta isn't that great at AA screening because chilling close and having all the Bofors and Oerlikons is the one true AA way, but it absolutely wrecks the piss out of destroyers. Basically think two tier ten US detroyers worth of guns on a platform that can move and dodge enough. If the Albany and Aurora weren't so gorgeous the Atlanta would be the best premium in every way, and it's for a great tree.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 13, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Largepotato posted:

Would be a rather lovely pilot if they didn't spot a ship before being in range of AA anyway.

Destroyers with 127 mm DP guns have longer base AA range than air detection range.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Just had two games in a row where i got killed by a teammate. One game my ally decided to use me as cover and shoot from behind me (read: right into my side). Then I got torped by a destroyer. Why are other people so bad.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

YellerBill posted:

I started firing AP instead of HE and holy poo poo even at tier 1 it makes a huge difference. Even if every shot doesn't deal as much damage the ones that do penetrate something important just absolutely wreck the enemy.

I don't know it feels like shooting AP at Low tier USN cruisers is a crap shoot I can seem to reliably hit the citadel on the tier one or two out side of 4k range. As where every HE round I drop on their decks seems to kill the ruder, the engines, a turret, start a fire, or all of the above.

However I total agree when shooting at IJN cruisers it seem like the citadel hitbox covers 3/4 their tier one and two cruisers.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The middle tier us torps are rough. 5.5km range really makes it tough. Just lay back and wait for them to stray into range or if you're savy you can catch someone coming around an island and light them up as you turn away. I believe the t7 gets 8.5km range so you aren't kicked in the nuts for too long.

Also try this.. hang back and try to get in position where you can catch an enemy ship in the middle of an exchange with another ship and it's guns facing the other direction. Move in and poo poo on them from behind. Zip around using your speed and let pray.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Prav posted:

Destroyers with 127 mm DP guns have longer base AA range than air detection range.

Guess that means WoWS pilots are rather lovely then.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a way to keep your turrets on one side from not moving when you starting aiming your turrets on the other side? I dunno like a turret lock for TDs function from WoT.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Actually the most missed NF feature (unless I'm missing an option somewhere) is the ability to name your ships, RIP HMS Refit :saddowns:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

That we don't get to name our ships really is an outrage.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Prav posted:

Name or give custom paint jobs. Unless I'm missing something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Signed up for the beta, but I just have one question.

Will dazzle camo be available?

It was meant to make range, speed, heading and even ship class estimations difficult in open water by breaking up the ship's profile and disrupting image resolution in optical rangefinders. Results were indeterminate but style points are off the chain yo :pcgaming:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

One of the british ships was painted in dazzle camo that consisted of neon colors, but we'll never get to see it because it was pre-color photography :(

AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014
The premium Atlanta ship is utterly ridiculous. In closed alpha I had one match with 6 kills, a few more with 5. So many guns and they turn disturbingly fast with all the upgrades, poo poo armor but hey, awesome ship.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
The one thing I really hate about the spotting system is how ships can just 'appear' from behind an island. I've had destroyers pop into existence at point blank range, well clear of an island they were coming around, where I really should have seen them sooner. Either the game is doing a poor job of showing the leading edge of the smoke screen, my settings are messing with it, or it's spotting system fuckery.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

One of the british ships was painted in dazzle camo that consisted of neon colors, but we'll never get to see it because it was pre-color photography :(

It may be reproducible from the relevant military records, if they still exist. Many of the US dazzle patterns are still known either from the records or later artwork done by the camoufleurs, although most of them were just mixes of black, white and various shades of blue/gray they were already using to produce false bow/stern/deck impressions for confusing kamikazes.

e: This site has some scans from a book about camo that shows some color dazzle patterns. Such a strange, fascinating concept.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 13, 2015

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

They have gotten real good at colorizing old photos.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
GOT IN HOMMIES.

ALL ABOARD

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is projectile spread simply RNG heavy? I have my crosshair lined up dead on a ships citadel that is just floating and not moving and my entire volley flies over top of him.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Encountered my first Carrier in my Erie and promptly sunk him, :getin:

Whoever recommended AP rounds and the whole citadel thing: Greato!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Is projectile spread simply RNG heavy? I have my crosshair lined up dead on a ships citadel that is just floating and not moving and my entire volley flies over top of him.

Yeah you can absolutely whiff entire volleys just to bad luck.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BadLlama posted:

I discovered that you can kind of control the height of shots with the crosshair. Put it slightly below the ship and your shots won't overshoot the mark. Some might fall short, but that's less likely the closer you get. For longer shots that you want to arc in, put it slightly above.

My accuracy went up like crazy after I figured this out.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I do like how even the lower tier ships can just wreck a badly played upper tier ship. That said that'll even out as the CBT goes on, so get in while the going is good.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is there any way to set AP as your default ammo? I pretty much always want to be starting with it, but sometimes I forget to switch because I tab out while battles load.

E: Haha - Got a DD and started out firing torps between islands only for a friendly cruiser to turn directly into them. He bitches, I mention he turned into them, he claims to have been tabbed out and fires at me. I think fair enough and sail on, but the poo poo keep shooting me, so I turn back and give him a full torp spread - sinking him. Ugh. Then a friendly DD starts torping me, so I torp him too and we both explode. Now the first crusier is going to get his "admin friend" to ban me :ohdear:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 13, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

USS Dong Cloud.

It's a matter of time before we figure out what file the ship skin is in and then the fun begins. Granted no one else will see your destroyer has a giant penis skin but then again that is what streaming is for right?

Dark to answer your question not at this time, that is why they made it so you can enter into the battle before the timer expires and change your loadout without having to wait for the match to start. In the past you had to spam the 2 button right away at the start or the HE would start to load.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I can't believe I am going to actually play this game, gently caress me (I already got my CBT invite).

Place your bets now, is my Shanky_McChatbanned account also Forever-Chatbanned in World of Warships like it is in World of Tanks.

Awwww gently caress yes!

So how is the making GBS threads on wheraboo/weeaboo pubbies minigame in World of Battlebotes? Are the forums just as thick with ignorance and racism?