Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What's this? Another episode? Arino takes another of his rare dips into the Sega side of things as he plays Strider. Also, the debut of a new segment! If you ever wanted to see Arino play Zapper games, this is your chance!

Once more this episode was translated by Zari-Gani and edited by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i was just about to post about how super spy hunter looks sick as hell and i want a copy and now there's a new episode

now that's service

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The deluge is real. At least this will distract me from the chipping away at Super Spy Hunter I have been doing since watching the episode!

Which Strider is this one, btw? I'd imagine it's the Genesis one, but I would be amused if they set Arino to playing the weird NES one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FreezingInferno posted:

The deluge is real. At least this will distract me from the chipping away at Super Spy Hunter I have been doing since watching the episode!

Which Strider is this one, btw? I'd imagine it's the Genesis one, but I would be amused if they set Arino to playing the weird NES one.

Genesis. The NES one was never released in Japan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's the MD version. Strider was never released for Famicom, but there is a Japanese prototype floating around somewhere.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
Double fun just in time for the weekend!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I don't mean to bitch or anything because in all reality I don't mind waiting a bit, but since we mainly get new episodes in torrent form now I think you should really turn on super seeding for the initial time period. Maybe you already have and I'm just dumb but from the peer distribution it doesn't look like it. It's also not a great idea to leave it on after you've got a copy or two seeded out but in the end it doesn't really matter too much.

Depending on which client you use it might have a different name than super seeding. It might actually seem like it's slower, because it might give you slower upload rates, but it tries to distribute the random parts of a torrent in a more organized fashion to all the current peers so you will have one full copy of the file in the swarm quicker than if you just seed it normally.

Anyway, if you're already doing this ignore my rambling and in any case, thanks a lot for the new episodes guys :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My torrent client doesn't seem to have that specific option, but the real problem is that my upstream bandwidth is comically bad. I haven't even sent out more data than the actual file size yet and it's been seeding for two hours.

They actually improved the bandwidth a couple of months ago. This is the better speed. :negative:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Random Stranger posted:

My torrent client doesn't seem to have that specific option, but the real problem is that my upstream bandwidth is comically bad. I haven't even sent out more data than the actual file size yet and it's been seeding for two hours.

They actually improved the bandwidth a couple of months ago. This is the better speed. :negative:

What are you using if you don't mind me asking? The thing is, with normal seeding you can end up sending out like 2 or 3 gigs on a 500mb file before anyone else finally has a full copy of the file.

Torrents just randomly send parts out the way they're requested by the other peers on the torrent on a first come first serve basis. The initial phase is the worst because everyone's requesting the same poo poo so you're uploading the same 1 mb part to like 50-100 people.

Super seeding (called Initial Seeding in µtorrent for example) tries to organize the parts so it sends out part 1 to x to the first person and x to y to the second person and so on, so by the time you uploaded 500mb there is actually a full copy of the file in the swarm, just split up among people who can help share it. That's also the time when you should turn that off again and just help seed whatever to other people because there's no real benefit anymore. The problem with this whole shebang is that it's not a feature of the torrent protocol or anything, so every client has its own algorithms, it's own name for it and therefore a more or less functional version of it. Some clients are notoriously bad at super seeding (or don't offer it at all) so it's really more of a suggestion to save some frustration for you as an initial seeder.

It's really mostly worth it for files that are really big (or if you have a bandwith cap), so if you can't find the option or whatever, it's really not that big of a deal. It'd just save greedy me (and a bunch of other people) some waiting and you some uploading.

And tell me about bad internet speeds. My max upload is around 90kb/s :(

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

What's this? Another episode? Arino takes another of his rare dips into the Sega side of things as he plays Strider. Also, the debut of a new segment! If you ever wanted to see Arino play Zapper games, this is your chance!

Once more this episode was translated by Zari-Gani and edited by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent.

This is going to be a fantastic weekend!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

abraxas posted:

And tell me about bad internet speeds. My max upload is around 90kb/s :(

You're preaching to the choir, brah. I've been uploading gigabytes of data over the past month for business and I cap at about 70 :smithicide:

Takes me half a day just to pay my GCCX dues.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

abraxas posted:

What are you using if you don't mind me asking? The thing is, with normal seeding you can end up sending out like 2 or 3 gigs on a 500mb file before anyone else finally has a full copy of the file.

I'm using Deluge. From what I've seen using the default options, I rarely go more than 10% over the file size transferred before more seeds start popping in.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This has been a week of strange coincidences indeed. I went shopping for used books/games earlier this week and got two items: "Men at arms" by Terry Pratchett and Strider for the Megadrive. Then Sir Terry dies and Strider gets subbed.

Anyhoo, it was a fun episode. Great seeing some familiar faces with the USA special segment, but boy, that narrator grates my ears like crazy. As soon it's not Yuuko Takeda (this was the season when she was off having a child?) I'm instantly annoyed.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

TheMcD posted:

You'd think they'd accept donations. Works for Classic Game Room, why not for Game Center CX? I'm sure there's some fan out there that would have jumped at the opportunity to have the Chief play their game.

Let's leave CGR out of this, unless you want at least two parts of Arino playing Hamster Monogatari 64...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

why is the strider video so choppy and laggy for me? it's entirely unwatchable on this machine. granted, this machine runs on like 2kb ram, but i've been rewatching my way through the show and with the current settings i could run every other other episode p much fine.

e. nvm i fixed it by doing some poo poo

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 14, 2015

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
These new episodes will go a long ways towards some levity for this down and out dreary weekend---thanks eternally for all the continuing efforts to get this stuff out there for folks to enjoy.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

AnotherGamer posted:

I forgot, was there a DVD-exclusive set of challenges for Retro Game Challenge 2 included with the not-as-good 3rd game like there was a set of challenges for the first RGC included with the second game or did I imagine that? If so, what's the progress on that one?

Quoting this again in case it got lost between the releases.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Where do folks usually turn for raws of this show? I found, like, through season 13, and then sporadic stuff after that.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Where do folks usually turn for raws of this show? I found, like, through season 13, and then sporadic stuff after that.

I don't know what exactly constitutes :filez: in this case, but at least one place you could look is the site where the subs are being hosted. They're usually huge 4 GB files for some reason, though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I don't know what exactly constitutes :filez: in this case, but at least one place you could look is the site where the subs are being hosted. They're usually huge 4 GB files for some reason, though.

Oh, well, if it's not cool nobody has to say anything but I thought since people seem to be posting torrents of subtitled episodes here it was OK to ask.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I picked most of mine up over Share, an absolutely terrible peer-to-peer file sharing program that for some reason is one of the few things Japanese nerds are willing to use to distribute files.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Will the releases never stop?

The challenge this time is Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll, an unusual platformer mixed with early fighting game. But who cares about that because I have two words for you. Power. Glove. That's right, you get to see Arino try to use everyone's favorite peripheral.

Shockingly, this is another episode translated by Zari-Gani and edited by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Awesome :D y'all are on point lately. Thanksfor the new releases

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Did Zari-gani do the artwork too? If so, :swoon:

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Yessssss thank you!!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I know this is too late to change anything in the Strider sub, but the official US quote for that last line from Grandmaster is "All sons of old gods, DIE!". I only know this because he says it vocally in the arcade version. Also because I looked it up back when it came up in Namco X Capcom.

Strider and Super Spy Hunter both ruled. Great work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Did Zari-gani do the artwork too? If so, :swoon:

No, not that art. But of course she did the artwork seen in the Strider episode and the background of this one...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thank you so much for these new releases, ya'll do a service!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

The challenge this time is Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll, an unusual platformer mixed with early fighting game. But who cares about that because I have two words for you. Power. Glove. That's right, you get to see Arino try to use everyone's favorite peripheral.

Shockingly, this is another episode translated by Zari-Gani and edited by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent.

My friend had this game when I was a kid, but we never got very far in it. I've been hoping to see Arino take his on ever since I saw it in the episode list, so I am super excited about this release!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I'm glad to see more subs from season 15. If I recall, many of the raws for season 15 were terrible and prevented them from being subbed earlier. I hope you found some decent raws for the rest of that season.

Regarding the Super Spy Hunter episode:

I am surprised that they did not give the turbo controller to Arino for this challenge. Would it have helped?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Did they change Flying Dragon for the US release, or is this a case (as has happened before, if I recall) of them not quite understanding how the game actually works? Because according to the manual for the American version of the game:

It's not like Ghosts 'n Goblins, where you have to play through twice; rather, Arino got the 'bad end'. You have to transform all of the Tusk Soldiers to get the 'good end'; otherwise it sends you back to the start to try again. Given they said not even the location scouts knew about the sealing of the special move if you didn't get the scrolls, I wonder if they may have just been wrong about how to get the real ending. Then again, they mentioned crystals, not scrolls, so maybe it was a change. Anyone know?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man Strider is such a weird looking game. I never played it and was always imagining it being like Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi or something. I have the Strider game that came out like a year ago on PS+, I might actually download it now.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Download the torrent.

Maybe I'm letting my imagination run away with the 8 bit graphics or something, but is anyone else kind of weirded out by the Tusk Soldiers transformations? It looks like a pair of downward curving tusks erupt from their eyes. That is some poo poo I would expect to see in Siren, not some random martial arts platformer/fighter.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Did they change Flying Dragon for the US release, or is this a case (as has happened before, if I recall) of them not quite understanding how the game actually works? Because according to the manual for the American version of the game:

It's not like Ghosts 'n Goblins, where you have to play through twice; rather, Arino got the 'bad end'. You have to transform all of the Tusk Soldiers to get the 'good end'; otherwise it sends you back to the start to try again. Given they said not even the location scouts knew about the sealing of the special move if you didn't get the scrolls, I wonder if they may have just been wrong about how to get the real ending. Then again, they mentioned crystals, not scrolls, so maybe it was a change. Anyone know?

I thought that seemed weird, too, so I checked an FAQ and even if you get the six scrolls from the six transformed fighters, you still have to do the second quest and find the four crystal balls.

Apparently, if you beat the second quest without collecting everything you need, you'll have to do a third quest, and so on.

A harsh rule indeed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As a bit of trivia about Flying Dragon, a few months ago in the retro games thread, Doug Dinsdale mentioned that the developer was a yakuza front. Flying Dragon was made by mobsters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Flying Dragon came out on the Wii U VC a couple weeks ago, completely out of nowhere. Culture Brain lives!

I can't speak to this specific game as I haven't played it, but I know it came from a series called Hiryu no Ken in Japan, and the international released tended to be mashups of two or more Hiryu no Ken games for whatever reason - they'd take the combat from one game and the exploration from another and combine them into some new thing. I have no idea why.

Help Im Alive posted:

Man Strider is such a weird looking game. I never played it and was always imagining it being like Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi or something. I have the Strider game that came out like a year ago on PS+, I might actually download it now.

Yeah, it's not really typical of the ninja games of the day and none of the sequels are all that similar, either. Strider 2 (the PSX game, not the terrible licensed 16-bit "sequel") is closer to the typical flashy ninja game, the recent game is an okay modern metroidvania and the NES game is a bad metroidvania-ish... thing.

There's also Osman/Cannon Dancer, a later arcade game from the creator of Strider that's very similar to the original, and Moon Diver, a game he made for Square-Enix that was advertised as another Strider clone but they made him add all sorts of stupid things that make it no fun and nothing like Strider.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 15, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
oops

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Holy crap I look back and there's two more releases. Fantastic, thank you for these!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Flying Dragon came out on the Wii U VC a couple weeks ago, completely out of nowhere. Culture Brain lives!

I can't speak to this specific game as I haven't played it, but I know it came from a series called Hiryu no Ken in Japan, and the international released tended to be mashups of two or more Hiryu no Ken games for whatever reason - they'd take the combat from one game and the exploration from another and combine them into some new thing. I have no idea why.

I'd have loved to see him take on Flying Warriors, but as you mentioned it's a weird mashup of two other games and was never released in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Nemo2342 posted:

I'd have loved to see him take on Flying Warriors, but as you mentioned it's a weird mashup of two other games and was never released in Japan.

I know exactly one thing about Flying Warriors and it's the only thing I care to know because it is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS7dNt5ENts