Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Babies first silversmithing:

I'm so proud of my meager pendant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Alright, cool. The plasma cutter scarring made it look like welding voids I guess.

Either way, I think you got a great deal on a great anvil there.

I'd probably smooth out the edges, but I'm spergy about stuff like that.

It looked like a good deal, but once Uncle Enzo pointed out the weight premium, it became a REALLY good deal. Now I just need time to forge.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Drawer handle/pull. The inner, larger scrolls are kinda gnarly 'cause I did stuff in the wrong order but whatevs. I'd do some chiselley linework for the flat face but it's an assignment and i gotta move on

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'd buy the poo poo out of those if the face were embellished, but this way also leaves it open for a label or engraving so I guess that's also handy. :v:

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
I'd buy the poo poo out of it if I had a drawer to put it on. Looks pretty good to me!

edit: a drawer worthy of it being placed on that is, not mdf garbagey kitchen cabinets

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
forgot about this mortise/tenon sample and an old fashioned nut/bolt pair with forge-welded bolt head

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I fuckin' love mortise and tenon joints. I use them wherever I can.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Drawer handle/pull. The inner, larger scrolls are kinda gnarly 'cause I did stuff in the wrong order but whatevs. I'd do some chiselley linework for the flat face but it's an assignment and i gotta move on

I've heard from a few people that one of the only ways to make money as a blacksmith these days, is do custom hardware for rich people's houses; whether it's repairing wrought iron fencing or forging custom door knobs. Looks like you're on the right track.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Spurred on by the Reddit r/blacksmith March contest, I decided to create a sign hanger. Because I wanted some practice with my plasma cutter I also made an anvil sign to hang as well.

I wanted to practice my fish tail ends and put them in the scrolls also.

I didn't think far enough ahead to leave myself room for rivets to hold the support in place and ended up having to weld it. I would definitely change that if I did it again. Possibly make things a little larger so the scrolls are a little more open to allow for riveting.

Edit: Also got to finally use my new anvil after mounting it, etc. and it is loving awesome.

halonx fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 12, 2015

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

After 10 years of redneck blacksmithing, I finally made my first set of tongs, and also a butcher style hardy hot cut thingamabob. I've just been using channel locks and a hatchet until now. :downsgun:

The tongs are for 1/2" round rod. I might modify the handle shape, they're just a smidge too close together when grabbing metal. The hardy cutter was made from a jackhammer bit by me and two other guys, both of whom know far more about smithing than me, and it's tempered properly too, which is something I don't know nearly enough about. Those guys are giving me free training, and they intend to give me a paid position at their forge once I know enough and can be precise and accurate enough. :woop:

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

halonx posted:

Spurred on by the Reddit r/blacksmith March contest

Edit: Also got to finally use my new anvil after mounting it, etc. and it is loving awesome.

I didn't think to look at Reddit for smithing, but makes sense. I've gotten so used to SA's easy to read layout that reddit seems archaic. Any tips on using reddit without feeling like it's a BBS from 1987?

Also, that anvil makes me jealous. And I just bought a pretty pimp anvil.

blunt for century posted:

After 10 years of redneck blacksmithing, I finally made my first set of tongs, and also a butcher style hardy hot cut thingamabob. I've just been using channel locks and a hatchet until now. :downsgun:

The tongs are for 1/2" round rod. I might modify the handle shape, they're just a smidge too close together when grabbing metal. The hardy cutter was made from a jackhammer bit by me and two other guys, both of whom know far more about smithing than me, and it's tempered properly too, which is something I don't know nearly enough about. Those guys are giving me free training, and they intend to give me a paid position at their forge once I know enough and can be precise and accurate enough. :woop:

I have tried once or twice to make tongs, but no luck yet. Even though those might not be perfect, they're still pretty good.

Tempering and heat treating is surprisingly easy once you learn how to watch the colors. My first successful project was a knife from a lawnmower blade, and heat treating it was not the hardest part at all.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Pagan posted:

I didn't think to look at Reddit for smithing, but makes sense. I've gotten so used to SA's easy to read layout that reddit seems archaic. Any tips on using reddit without feeling like it's a BBS from 1987?

I have tried once or twice to make tongs, but no luck yet. Even though those might not be perfect, they're still pretty good.

Tempering and heat treating is surprisingly easy once you learn how to watch the colors. My first successful project was a knife from a lawnmower blade, and heat treating it was not the hardest part at all.

My main problem with heat treating is knowing what metal I'm starting with.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Pagan posted:

I've found with Reddit that you have to subscribe to what you want and ditch the crap you don't care about.

The anvil is really nice. Edges are still too sharp and I'll need to dress them, but wow it really seemed to help move the metal faster.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

halonx posted:

I've found with Reddit that you have to subscribe to what you want and ditch the crap you don't care about.

The bulk of the vocal reddit haters don't get this. It's not all a cesspool, but all of the "default" stuff has turned into that as it has gained popularity, like every other site before it with no barrier to entry.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is why I stick around SA, :10bux: keeps the riff raff out.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

In not on my desk top or I'd link document, but if you Google "junk yard steel guide" you can find a chart of what most things you'd find in a scrap yard are. It's not 100% accurate since it's a few years old, but in general the heat treatment for a given class of steel is consistent with a few of the chrome-moly air hardening steels being an odd man out. I didn't know much about heat treating when I started out either, but judicious googling before obtaining a copy of both Jorgenson's Steel Guide and Machinery's Handbook and I now give a lecture twice a semester on heat treating tool steels to the industry programs at my school. The last one did was on case hardening mild steel.

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
And to be honest, most of what you find can be quenched in oil and heated using a iron-carbon tempering chart. Get it past magnetic, quench heat to straw on blades to blue on most other tools. Obviously that is very general but it's what I end up doing with 90% of the tools I make.

Ambrose that drawer pull looks amazing. About what Pagan was saying, custom ornamental work will get you jobs. In my experience, small things like drawer pulls are a harder sell. There's tons of options out there and most of them are under $5 a piece. Obviously you have to charge much more to make it worth your time. Though there are some people who will still pay it.

I am working on a handrail right now with upset square angled tenons. And lots of upsetting. It's a small job but it takes some fairly tricky technique.

It's great to see everyone's skills progressing. There's been some great work posted lately.

I finished my bathroom hardware. I hate the drawer pulls. I need to sell the rest.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's lovely, how did you join the risers to the wall-attachment plates?

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
I drilled a hole and then ran a tenon through the hole. They are just countersunk and TIG welded on the back. I am not above using modern technology along with my blacksmithing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Welding is just sci-fi Smithing. Instead of a 2500 degree forge you've got 50,000 volts of current in your hand. :black101:

Edit: I have a forty year old motorcycle engine that's largely junk, worth scavenging the guts for forging or is it better off just selling it for the scrap weight?

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 13, 2015

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

You're overthinking it. It's probably some sort of high carbon steel. Take a scrap piece and heat treat it exactly like steel, and see how it reacts. I'm willing to bet it's pretty close. If not, the way it responds will give you a hint as to what to do differently.

The red hard steel I was complaining about earlier is "mystery ferrous metal." I have no idea what it is, got it from a scrapyard. It's AMAZING. It hardens like glass but once tempered is nigh unbreakable. It will, however, chip and crack the second you try to forge it below a red heat. No idea what it is, but I treated it like normal steel and that seemed to work well. The tools I made are still sharp, even after some punishing use.

Here's my approach to learning a new skill : You can either pay for a real instructor, or you can burn through materials as you practice. I prefer the latter, so go for it.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Pagan posted:

You're overthinking it. It's probably some sort of high carbon steel. Take a scrap piece and heat treat it exactly like steel, and see how it reacts. I'm willing to bet it's pretty close. If not, the way it responds will give you a hint as to what to do differently.

The red hard steel I was complaining about earlier is "mystery ferrous metal." I have no idea what it is, got it from a scrapyard. It's AMAZING. It hardens like glass but once tempered is nigh unbreakable. It will, however, chip and crack the second you try to forge it below a red heat. No idea what it is, but I treated it like normal steel and that seemed to work well. The tools I made are still sharp, even after some punishing use.

Here's my approach to learning a new skill : You can either pay for a real instructor, or you can burn through materials as you practice. I prefer the latter, so go for it.

I'm doing both! :v:

I got some crazy steel a while back. I'm pretty sure it's AR-600, armor plate. :black101:
Some crazy fuckers I know went dumpster diving at an armor plate facility in Alabama and brought me a bunch of 14"x2"x.3" strips of this stuff.

I've made several knives out of it, but it's pretty terrible at holding an edge. I might try making tools out of what I have left, however

e. I have tried shooting it, it will withstand .308 steel core, quite easily.

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 13, 2015

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I'm doing both! :v:

I got some crazy steel a while back. I'm pretty sure it's AR-600, armor plate. :black101:
Some crazy fuckers I know went dumpster diving at an armor plate facility in Alabama and brought me a bunch of 14"x2"x.3" strips of this stuff.

I've made several knives out of it, but it's pretty terrible at holding an edge. I might try making tools out of what I have left, however

e. I have tried shooting it, it will withstand .308 steel core, quite easily.

If it's not hardening, try a harsher quench. Water is pretty harsh, but there are some metals that call for a sub zero quench. One of my books describes filling a metal tub with dry ice and pouring gallons of acetone in, then quenching your glowing hot steel in that. Seems safe, right?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Pagan posted:

If it's not hardening, try a harsher quench. Water is pretty harsh, but there are some metals that call for a sub zero quench. One of my books describes filling a metal tub with dry ice and pouring gallons of acetone in, then quenching your glowing hot steel in that. Seems safe, right?

:stonk:

Yeah, perfectly safe

:downsgun:

The problem isn't it hardening, the problem is, it's too hard. I need to anneal the gently caress out of it to get it to hold an edge

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
A faster quench than water is a very salty brine, and an even faster quench than brine is aqueous lye. which has been phased out of use, for some bizarre reason

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

:stonk:

Yeah, perfectly safe

:downsgun:

The problem isn't it hardening, the problem is, it's too hard. I need to anneal the gently caress out of it to get it to hold an edge

Do you mean, take an edge? Because the harder it is, the better it should hold an edge (although it will chip more and more easily as it gets harder, until at 'glass hard' it can shatter completely).

If you put an edge on it and the edge wears off quickly with light work, that's what most people call "won't hold an edge" and it tends to mean your metal is too soft.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pagan posted:

HY-80? Are you 100% it is steel? Maybe like Inconel?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Leperflesh posted:

Do you mean, take an edge? Because the harder it is, the better it should hold an edge (although it will chip more and more easily as it gets harder, until at 'glass hard' it can shatter completely).

If you put an edge on it and the edge wears off quickly with light work, that's what most people call "won't hold an edge" and it tends to mean your metal is too soft.

Either/or

It's very tough to get it to even get it sharp at all with hand tools or power tools. It's Abrasion Resistant. Once you get it sharp, it' gets dull really quickly, I assume due to the hard metal extreme edge chipping and flaking off with any use.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Might you be ending up with a wire edge?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

TerminalSaint posted:

Might you be ending up with a wire edge?

It's possible, but I think it would be unlikely. I've been sharpening stuff for so long, I'm pretty sure I know how to do it, unless it's somehow different for ar-600

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ambrose Burnside posted:

A faster quench than water is a very salty brine, and an even faster quench than brine is aqueous lye. which has been phased out of use, for some bizarre reason

I live on the island, historically the local smiths used sea water for a nice fast quench.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

HY-80? Are you 100% it is steel? Maybe like Inconel?

I have no idea what it is. It's a metal that's magnetic when cold and loses magnetism when hot. It's very hard to work, but when treated correctly is very strong. I have several bars of it, and I assume it will make fan loving tastic knives. Especially now that I have a real anvil and can put some weight behind the hammer.

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?

Pagan posted:

I have no idea what it is. It's a metal that's magnetic when cold and loses magnetism when hot. It's very hard to work, but when treated correctly is very strong. I have several bars of it, and I assume it will make fan loving tastic knives. Especially now that I have a real anvil and can put some weight behind the hammer.

I think I'm wrong, but I'm going to hazard a guess anyone. Maybe a magnetic stainless? 400 series? It's harder to forge, becomes brittle quickly and can break when hard. I am sure it can probably take hardening and tempering well.

I am just guessing this because it was one of things I had to really be careful of when forging my hardware. If I hit it below dark orange it would often crack.

ArtistCeleste fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 14, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
How easy is it to overheat stainless and ruin its stainlessness? I've thought of using it for a couple projects but it sounds too easy to screw up.

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?

Ambrose Burnside posted:

How easy is it to overheat stainless and ruin its stainlessness? I've thought of using it for a couple projects but it sounds too easy to screw up.

That mostly happens to the surface of it. If you can grind it flush again it should be good. But twists, curves, roundstock, anything that you can't grind the surface off of can be problematic.

I did a test with the hardware in my own bathroom and anything the whole twisted and tenoned area rusted. I initially sandblasted it the best I could and used a wire wheel on it, but though it looked stainless it did not retain those properties. I read that you can passivate the surface in a hot acid bath, but I don't have ventilation or know enough to work with hot acid. I ended up buying a product called "ProtectaClear" and coating it with that. You can no longer polish it like stainless but I think it's a good sealant. A blogger did a test with Renaissance wax and a few others and found that the brush on ProtectaClear was the only that worked. She left shiny copper out in the rain for 5 weeks and looked brand new when she brought it in. It's not very viscous so it's easy to coat. I'm pretty sure it even coated around the mortise and tenon joint and dries completely clear so it looks like bare metal when it dries.

If you want to make a blade out of stainless you are probably fine. You will just need to sand off the entire surface, which you pretty much do anyway with knives.

You may have better luck than me if you have a good sandblaster. The one I use is pretty weak. Never mix stainless sand, flap disks, grinders and the like with the materials you use for finishing regular steel. Any little bit of iron can make the stainless rust.

At least this is what I learned on my first run of the product. I will let you know if I have any further success in the future.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

ArtistCeleste posted:

I think I'm wrong, but I'm going to hazard a guess anyone. Maybe a magnetic stainless? 400 series? It's harder to forge, becomes brittle quickly and can break when hard. I am sure it can probably take hardening and tempering well.

I am just guessing this because it was one of things I had to really be careful of when forging my hardware. If I hit it below dark orange it would often crack.

It rusts, though. Does stainless require a surface treatment to make it "stainless"

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Pagan posted:

It rusts, though. Does stainless require a surface treatment to make it "stainless"

400 series stainless is ferrous so it will rust. I guess rust resistant would be a better thing to call it.

Edit: is ferrous the right word? As much as I work with this stuff day to day I'm not sure about the actual makeup of some of the stuff. Either way, 400 stainless can rust, yes.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 14, 2015

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

400 series stainless is ferrous so it will rust. I guess rust resistant would be a better thing to call it.

Edit: is ferrous the right word? As much as I work with this stuff day to day I'm not sure about the actual makeup of some of the stuff. Either way, 400 stainless can rust, yes.

Yes, it is the right word. It absolutely will rust. I noticed though that when forging the 300 series it did not oxidize nearly as quickly and the scale tended to be very fine. I actually maybe you found some rusted stainless and might not know it because of it's appearance.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

That would make more sense than some exotic or expensive alloy. So, how does one keep stainless from rusting?

I volunteered at the Steel Yard today. Because I know how to weld and forge, I didn't have to paint bathrooms (suck it teenagers) I got to forge some railings and bars to store tools. I made a rack for clamps, which is what I'm forging here.

There was another guy who helped me make a hammer storage rack. Should have gotten pictures of the finished products, but I was in a rush to get finished on time. So far, all of my smithing has been my own ideas and concepts. This was my first time making something to order, to do a job specified by someone else. It felt awesome to be finished. Even though none of the pieces look great, they were all functional and fit the specifications.

Also - coolest large scale metalwork video I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkX296YZfS8

Pagan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Pagan posted:

That would make more sense than some exotic or expensive alloy. So, how does one keep stainless from rusting?

Well 300 stainless pretty much won't rust. Not sure how common that stuff would in scrap yards though.

At work, we just use wd40. Not sure about a long term solution. I would think as long as you keep it dry it should mostly be okay, maybe just get some surface rust. Any tooling we make we generally use 420 or 17-4 as it doesnt rust too much and is just all around nice and solid.