Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

isn't that what the spring arm (or swing arm or whatever it's called) is for? you attach it to your vehicle, then attach your camera to it, and it won't let the camera go through objects or have objects come between the vehicle and the camera.

yeah, but im not much of a fan of how it ends up working. plus as it turns out i kinda like the resident evil style camera. adds a bit of differentiation to the game too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Olivil posted:

no offense but it looks the part

my klein was at work. brought it home to finish up the circuit project tonight. so none taken.

really neatvideo though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
idk whether any of you vidya game maker nerds will find this useful, but sonniss just put like 10 gb of royalty-free samples for video games out for free

http://toucharcade.com/2015/03/12/developer-psa-get-10-gb-of-royalty-free-audio-from-sonniss-for-free/

use the torrent, it's legal and the ddl link is hammered

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's awesome cheers

sound is aspect I neglect overwhelmingly

in fact I've only once used a sound that was a sample of borat saying "great success" which tbf is fuckin classic

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
np

i'm downloading it to sample sfx for musics, seems like it should be fun. i donated some money to cover bandwidth even though i'm torrenting it, because it sounds like they're getting demolished over there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you're a "good person"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

idk whether any of you vidya game maker nerds will find this useful, but sonniss just put like 10 gb of royalty-free samples for video games out for free

http://toucharcade.com/2015/03/12/developer-psa-get-10-gb-of-royalty-free-audio-from-sonniss-for-free/

Aww yiss, mothafuckin sound effects. :w00t:

Looking on their site, they have some other really nice SFX libraries.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 12, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

you're a "good person"

trying to make up for all those people i killed

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
646 samples but i've curated the only ones you should need
code:
Fart_Long_Fienup_002.wav
Fart_Long_Fienup_007.wav
Fart_Short_Fienup_009.wav

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Olivil posted:

no offense but it looks the part

protip: as soon as you see a "die on board" part (the round black goop) youre probably in possession of the cheapest crap

and thats not only for multimeters

take a little DIP (dual in-line package) chip for instance

Inside the package you have the die, that's where the logic happens, then you have bonding wires that connect the die to the leadframe (the pins)

heres a cool looking decapped QFP (quad flat pack)

a die on board exactly what it sounds like, the manufacturer took the die, bonded the wires directly to the board and added a goop of non-conductive plastic

this saves CENTS so nobody does it unless you want to squeeze the last cent of profit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBbvIf3E0s
heres a video of a ut-61 dying

its so weird how bare die parts are used in only the cheapest and most expensive hardware.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ansi art is really, really hard

what i got so far

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:vince: :allears:

looking good, jonny

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

what i got so far

i had a bbs up for me and my friends for a little while and didn't even try it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
few extra creepers and we're ok for now.

still may revisit but its not bad for a first hand attempt

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Trig Discipline posted:

danke

people on this torrent have some scrub-rear end upload speed though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

what i got so far

looks good! any medium that forces the artists talent to shine through will be hard. the only reason anything I make in game engine looks good is coz of game engine and nothing to do with my personal skil.

what u using to edit?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
layer drawing happens in PabloDraw and then I fire up a dosbox with TheDraw to compose, it has sprites and layering

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

danke

people on this torrent have some scrub-rear end upload speed though

hard for me to tell with my scrub-rear end download speed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
code:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$`$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$             --==--             $$ ======================================== $
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'         `$'         `$$$$$'     `$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$ $ $$$$$$$$$$`$$',$$$$$$$.`$$$
$$$               --              `$$$$.$$$$$$$$$$ $ $$$$$$$$$$ $'$$$$$$$$$$$`$$
$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$.`$$$$$$$$ $ $$$$$$$$' ,$$.`$$$$$$$$$v$$
$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$         $         $$$$$$$.     `$$$$$
$$$               --               $$$$$',$$$$$$$$ $ $$$$$$$$. `$^$$$$$$$$$.`$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$ $ $$$$$$$$$$ $.$$$$$$$$$$$`$$
$$$               --              `$$$$.$$$$$$$$$$ $ $$$$$$$$$$,$$.`$$$$$$$',$$$
$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.         ,$.         ,$$$$$.     ,$$$$$
$$$             --==--            `$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$ ======================================= $
$$$               --               $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

trying to make up for all those people i killed

ill seed for ages

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah it's the good part of the 90s again

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trig Discipline posted:

thanks for the tip, downloading now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if youre torrenting then youre likely downloading from me motherfucker! ahahahaha

anyway substance designer is on 33% sale on steam. a hundy bucks

i have substance painter. its good but i dont really use textures. the way substance designer hooks into ue4 though.. allt he thigns i love about dynamic materials in ue4.. but utilising the substance pathway at the same time? applying on the fly wear and tear??

the "issue" is that low-poly, the vibe im going for, is nice because a) no/little textuires = small disk spoace and b) easy to make it look good. as soon as you move from low-poly with no smoothing to real meshes and textures, well, its as HUGE jump in effort and i dont know if there is much point. that said ive wanted designer for aghes and its a good price. should probbably grab it, regret it but then have it in my tool belt for whenever

took some "not-mushr00ms" the other day and spent a while wondering abott he point of spending time making gfames. at the time it seemed lieka total waste of time but now idk. i nean. ami ever going to amke money from these ? i doubt more than a little bit of spare change. certainly not career chganing. i mean even at optimal making games isnt good money unless youre very lucky AND talented. also, is it in genral a good thing to spend tiome on? aS A HOBBY IS IT ANY GOOD? IDK? its productive in a general sense but not in a real sense. am i ashamed to tell people i spend my spare time making a game? perhaps. whats the point of life? is it a waste of time? and if so, should i drop $135nzd on susbtance designer when textures arent even part of my game workflow? i guiess that answers my question but i still want it... HMMMMMMMMM

its good at baking maps though. and maps like curvature maps are good, and the baking utility ive got at the moment sucks.drat

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it does look pretty slick. what's the difference between the indie version and the commercial one though?

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh, it's just a limit on how much you can earn

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
screw it, im doing it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it seems pretty powerful and its a bonus that as it makes stuff on the fly in ue4 it does the same in packaged games so it means less disk space

i guess i just dont know if i would use it. the low-poly thing makes it easy but as soon as you add textures it starts to look very average

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Programmer Humor posted:

screw it, im doing it

doping what? getting it?

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, i guess you have to be real careful about the art direction, but i'm sure you can make textures that augment the low poly look instead of just making them look like bad/average models

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

doping what? getting it?

correct

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'll report back

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh thanks

yeah i added a film grain texture to some rocks. thats ok. mainlty because its basically noise

ue4 maKES LOW-0poly look so good so easily. dont wanna gently caress dat up

think ill pass on it for now. not enough money to drop on that for these purposes right now at least.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
time to get out wacom tablet and sculpt some rocks in blender!

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
substance designer update: all the standard nodes, lots of generators, lots of abilities to make complex patterns with the fx map node, every parameter can be automated into a function. you can use mesh geometry to control the materials. i will definitely use this and i'm glad i got it, otherwise i probably would have had to script a lot of this myself. thanks for finding it

i can see if you don't want to get this if you're going for the low poly look, but you can use it to make simple square shapes and stuff also, like tiles. maybe get the 30 day trial version or watch a few tutorials and see if it's for you

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 394 days!
scrapped the last thing and drew this instead

feeling 'eh' about it but hey at least i finished something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Programmer Humor posted:

substance designer update: all the standard nodes, lots of generators, lots of abilities to make complex patterns with the fx map node, every parameter can be automated into a function. you can use mesh geometry to control the materials. i will definitely use this and i'm glad i got it, otherwise i probably would have had to script a lot of this myself. thanks for finding it

i can see if you don't want to get this if you're going for the low poly look, but you can use it to make simple square shapes and stuff also, like tiles. maybe get the 30 day trial version or watch a few tutorials and see if it's for you

drat now I want it.. the noise functions alone could bring sweetness to my low-poly look

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

took some "not-mushr00ms" the other day and spent a while wondering abott he point of spending time making gfames. at the time it seemed lieka total waste of time but now idk. i nean. ami ever going to amke money from these ? i doubt more than a little bit of spare change. certainly not career chganing. i mean even at optimal making games isnt good money unless youre very lucky AND talented. also, is it in genral a good thing to spend tiome on? aS A HOBBY IS IT ANY GOOD? IDK? its productive in a general sense but not in a real sense. am i ashamed to tell people i spend my spare time making a game? perhaps. whats the point of life? is it a waste of time? and if so, should i drop $135nzd on susbtance designer when textures arent even part of my game workflow? i guiess that answers my question but i still want it... HMMMMMMMMM

its easy to focus on the fact that its a net loss in kiwi moonbux but theres a lot of unquantifiable benefits like being a cool rear end gamedev dad and doing good posts on ironic internet forums though

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

wesley snypes posted:

scrapped the last thing and drew this instead

feeling 'eh' about it but hey at least i finished something

it's good and cool.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

its easy to focus on the fact that its a net loss in kiwi moonbux but theres a lot of unquantifiable benefits like being a cool rear end gamedev dad and doing good posts on ironic internet forums though

ive been loving around with the trial version. node based is the best thing.

the only thing is, i dont know if itll fit in nice with my workflow, or will be shoehorned in becasue ive paid for it and now i better use it.

ie my graphics arent really screaming out "texture me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also not sure if being a gamedev dad and being cool are the same thing. not quite working on grand theft auto here