Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well, of course, but the designs themselves aren't complicated to begin with. I can't quite put my finger on the thing that puts me off, but I think it's something about Genos's face.

I think it's the colouring. Because most manga artists physically colour their works or digitally paint them to look like physical colouring seeing the super flat, cel shaded colouring of the anime designs is off putting. It's an aspect of the uncanny valley.

All that aside, I'm looking forward to this so much. Even if it flops it won't undo the webcomic or manga so it's free to do what it wants and it could be another fantastic rendition of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gyges posted:

Are you sure it's Genos's face and not the fact that they somehow cast Ikkaku for Saitama?
I am never going to be able to unsee that. God drat it.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Ikkaku's voice actor is amazing and imagining Saitama lecturing baddies is freaking hilarious. I'll never unsee this now

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

We're a week overdue for the next update, right? C'mon Murata... :f5:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Popo posted:

I think it's the colouring. Because most manga artists physically colour their works or digitally paint them to look like physical colouring seeing the super flat, cel shaded colouring of the anime designs is off putting. It's an aspect of the uncanny valley.

All that aside, I'm looking forward to this so much. Even if it flops it won't undo the webcomic or manga so it's free to do what it wants and it could be another fantastic rendition of the series.

This is the only anime adaptation where i'd actually be cool with seeing filler for.

Every episode would be akin to the Goku and Piccolo driver's ed filler.

Saitama goes to the store on a milk run, fights a dairy cow monster!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Anyone else think this looks like a significant step down from the manga? There's something a bit off about it.

This is a pretty weird thing to say when you consider that Murata's version is a remake of the original's potato people. I wouldn't be surprised if the characters ended up looking pretty different.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Parrotine posted:

This is the only anime adaptation where i'd actually be cool with seeing filler for.

Every episode would be akin to the Goku and Piccolo driver's ed filler.

Saitama goes to the store on a milk run, fights a dairy cow monster!
The occasional omake chapter is basically that, and they are good chapters, so I would be cool with that.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

pointlessone posted:

That looks sort of like Sunrise style (are they still around?)

Sunrise is in the top 5 biggest studios (until April when they lose all their staff and profitable things except Gundam & Love Live because Bandai decided they wanted a new studio to handle all the kids stuff).

They are also not making OPM.

Current leading candidate is Madhouse with Shingo Natsume and Chikashi Kubota involved, based on Twitter detective work. Could be sheer coincidence and it might just be Bones but who knows!

aers fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 13, 2015

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

aers posted:

Sunrise is in the top 5 biggest studios (until April when they lose all their staff and profitable things except Gundam & Love Live because Bandai decided they wanted a new studio to handle all the kids stuff).

I thought I'd heard something about that before, I couldn't remember when it was going to happen.

I really don't care who ends up getting it, the rest of the show could be South Park grade cutouts as long as they blow the animation budget on action sequences. I just keep coming back to Astro Fighter Sun Red in my mind for the jumps between normal and serious Saitama.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
After watching Hunter x Hunter 2011 I feel pretty safe if Madhouse is involved.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eej posted:

After watching Hunter x Hunter 2011 I feel pretty safe if Madhouse is involved.

:agreed:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jumping the gun a bit but I feel like Adult Swim would be a fantastic home for a OPM anime

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Madhouse has done good work, if I can't get my Trigger dream they're a solid choice. Trigger's probably better off trying to animate their own original stuff anyway (eventually, aside from Academia they're probably years away from another original show), we can't get the next show like Kill la Kill if they're constantly animating other properties.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

NowonSA posted:

we can't get the next show like Kill la Kill if they're constantly animating other properties.

Good.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Jumping the gun a bit but I feel like Adult Swim would be a fantastic home for a OPM anime

Don't you mean Toonami?

That is pretty much Adult Swim territory at this point

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Whatever, cartoon network on Saturday night

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Captain Invictus posted:

I want them to do to a OPM anime what they did with Space Dandy.

Mostly I don't want to have to wait forever to watch it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

buy me an avatar posted:

Saitama looks ripped and it offends me greatly.

Yeah, need to point this out.

Even in the panels where Saitama is drawn with lots of detail in very tense situations like introducing himself to B leader, he is still not ripped.

I just think that makes the gag of not assuming Saitama is a big deal from how he looks before he punches a hole straight through your chest.

edit: Also confirmed the storyboard op i found is the one in the works or, at least, they are using the same song. Got a mute notice from Sony with the title of the song.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I remember Saitama being ripped as hell in that one cut where he was in his briefs, back when he was taking the hero exam.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EVIR Gibson posted:

Even in the panels where Saitama is drawn with lots of detail in very tense situations like introducing himself to B leader, he is still not ripped.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Compare it to the announcement though. That looks like normal muscles for a thin frame while the other is injecting saline or Rob Leifield directly into the tissue.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 14, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the PV will be shown the 22nd during Anime Japan 2015.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Saitama is ripped, but he's not jacked.

Do you people even lift?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gently caress, got to remember to get my bikini briefs monogrammed. Pro tip, Saitama.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Saitama has low bodyfat but he's not muscular.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Strangely enough, Murata draws Saitama more or less how you'd expect a guy who does a bunch of cardio and bodyweight exercises to look.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I was rereading this and realized when I got to the House of Evolution that Asura Rhino was a rhinoceros beetle. No idea how I missed that before and thought he was one weird rhino.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
But... that's the entire joke.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

But... that's the entire joke.

I really don't know how I missed it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now flip his name to Rhino Asura.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Oh, man. ATOMIC BURN on Sonic in that new chapter.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Coming in OCTOBER?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-03-17/one-punch-man-tv-anime-listed-for-october-premiere/.86056

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

If they are starting that early maybe it will be done like suggested here where they will do the non-battle stuff in a pretty simplistic way and get super detailed for the fights. That would be cool.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Remember that time Murata took a field trip to Gainax to "learn animation techniques?"

He just keyframed the entire series.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Been a while since we got a new chapter. I guess the announcement has been keeping the duo busy with finalizing the legal paperwork for the show

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Demicol posted:

If they are starting that early maybe it will be done like suggested here where they will do the non-battle stuff in a pretty simplistic way and get super detailed for the fights. That would be cool.

I can't really imagine it any other way.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

News

One-Punch Man Anime Features Kaito Ishikawa, Makoto Furukawa, Madhouse posted:

This year's 17th issue of Sheisha's Young Jump magazine is reporting on Thursday Makoto Furukawa and Kaito Ishikawa will play the protagonist Saitama and Genos, respectively, in the One Piece Man television anime.

Shingo Natsume (Space Dandy, Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos) is directing the anime at Mad House (Summer Wars, Hunter x Hunter). Tomohiro Suzuki (Tiger and Bunny scripts, Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary) is in charge of the series scripts, and Chikashi Kubota (From the New World, Robotics;Notes) is designing the characters.

Yuusuke Murata's manga series revolves around the titular super hero who has trained so hard that his hair has fallen out, and who can overcome any enemy with one punch. However, because he is so strong, he has become bored and frustrated with winning all his battles so easily.

Murata's manga series adapts ONE's original web manga of the same name. Murata's manga is currently running on Shueisha's free Tonari no Young Jump spinoff website. The series passed the 2.2-million mark in November 2013, the 3.4-million mark last May, and the 4.5-million mark in November.

One-Punch Man is currently serialized in Viz Media's English-language digital edition of Weekly Shonen Jump.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress yes, HxH 2011 was superb.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Here's hoping this is the push VIZ needs to get the physical publishing rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

oh look i was right