Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pirate Jet posted:

It's almost like Deep Silver was never a good publisher.

Well didn't they just get it as a sort of "package deal" with THQ because they wanted the Saints Row IP? Considering THQ had reportedly been working on the sequel when they went into insolvency, if it was halfway done, might as well finish it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Shadow225 posted:

You guys should all play The Maw. It is a N64 collectathon in every way but collecting things. Kind of killed my nostalgia for that era of 3D platformers.
Avoid all DLC if you enjoy the core gameplay.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Keith David never did get to finish Dead Island.

Probably for the best though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Good news for Orv as Winged Cloud, the makers of highly acclaimed western VN titles such as Sakura Spirit and Sakura Angels have their next title on Greenlight already.

Seems like they're sticking to their true and tested formula.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I wish they would make one with gay anime bois begging to get stuffed already :/

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Deakul posted:

Homefront's multiplayer was pretty fun atleast.
Basically a sequel to Frontlines: Fuel of War.(which owned at the time)

Hahahaha what, frontlines was one of the worst games I've ever played

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh huh, the one on the left is actually armo- oh. Oh. :smith:

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Kanfy posted:

Good news for Orv as Winged Cloud, the makers of highly acclaimed western VN titles such as Sakura Spirit and Sakura Angels have their next title on Greenlight already.

the graphics oare good but hteir games is about as erotic as taking ones penis and draping it into a desk drawer and slamming said drawer onto ur weiner. or so ive heard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pirate Jet posted:

It's almost like Deep Silver was never a good publisher.

All I really knew about them before was that they saved Saint's Row 4.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Well didn't they just get it as a sort of "package deal" with THQ because they wanted the Saints Row IP? Considering THQ had reportedly been working on the sequel when they went into insolvency, if it was halfway done, might as well finish it up.

Nope, Crytek actually brought the Homefront IP. THQ contracted Crytek UK (previously known as Free Radical) to make Homefront 2. When THQ died Crytek brought the IP (probably cheaper than re-working the game they had been working on into something other than a Homefront sequel).

Then Crytek started making GBS threads the bed and they shut down the UK studio and sold the IP to Deep Silver (who I believe had signed on to publish the game before they brought it from Crytek).

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I always knew Deep Silver as the crappy middlemarket budget title publisher and I don't think Saint's Row is going to last much longer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mung Dynasty posted:

I always knew Deep Silver as the crappy middlemarket budget title publisher and I don't think Saint's Row is going to last much longer.

They've had a great run, SR has. If Gat Outta Hell is the last chapter that's okay by me, and I say that a a fan of it. Somethings you just wanna give a rest to.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Kanfy posted:

This reminds me that i still haven't gotten around to playing Sakura Angels, which i really should.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

More or less but they have been trying to go bigger since Dead Island made them stupid amounts of money and Risen series not being a complete failure, plus they also bought the Metro series at the same time as Saints Row. With that name recognition I wouldn't be surprised if they could get some investors for at least another Saints Row title, assuming that Dead Island 2 doesn't bomb completely.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

With that name recognition I wouldn't be surprised if they could get some investors for at least another Saints Row title

Deep Silver is owned by an international, they're not some tiny little company like the people in this thread seem to assume.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

Deep Silver is owned by an international, they're not some tiny little company like the people in this thread seem to assume.

I know but Saints Row is a title with more expectation behind it, which means it requires more money than Deep Silver has probably been handed before. Before Dead Island their biggest game was Risen which isn't something you can use to convince a $30+ million budget. They also published a little title known as Ride to Hell: Retribution not too long ago. Risen 2 wasn't really that good and Risen 3 is... okay-ish. Of their 4 biggest franchises, Metro and Saints Row are the creation of entirely unrelated studios and publishers, and I'm not sure Deep Silver even owns-owns the Metro series. They're nowhere near the size of even THQ was, even when the the latter was circling the drain. But all I'm really getting at is that those franchises do mean something so I have to imagine they're going to use them to try and springboard themselves to bigger budget games, starting with the next entries.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Meowbot posted:

the graphics oare good but hteir games is about as erotic as taking ones penis and draping it into a desk drawer and slamming said drawer onto ur weiner. or so ive heard.

Huniepop puts all the Sakura games to shame. At least the previous two had some slightly more interesting girls. This one looks to be the most bland of the lot.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pretty sure Deep Silver(and THQ before they went bust) only handles distribution for the Metro games.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lord Lambeth posted:

Pretty sure Deep Silver(and THQ before they went bust) only handles distribution for the Metro games.

Now now, they also published Ride to Hell: Retribution (and a bunch of other stuff over the past 12 years)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

havenwaters posted:

Now now, they also published Ride to Hell: Retribution (and a bunch of other stuff over the past 12 years)

gently caress. I guess Deep Silver is trash. Glad I found this out before I bought SR4.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

WickedHate posted:

gently caress. I guess Deep Silver is trash. Glad I found this out before I bought SR4.

Deep Silver is hit and miss. Metro series, Dead Island series, Risen series, Ryse, Sacred 2 and 3, SR4 and Gat out of hell, STALKER Clear Sky, The Guild 2, most of the X games, those were all published by Deep Silver. Which ones are hits or misses is up to personal interpretation.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

WickedHate posted:

Only SR4 is an actually good game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

Deep Silver is hit and miss. Metro series, Dead Island series, Risen series, Ryse, Sacred 2 and 3, SR4 and Gat out of hell, STALKER Clear Sky, The Guild 2, most of the X games, those were all published by Deep Silver. Which ones are hits or misses is up to personal interpretation.

They're just like every other publisher of videogames, I guess.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Deakul posted:

Respect for Traveller's Tales has dropped considerably, doesn't help either that their support of past games has never been stellar, all of the DLC for LEGO Batman 3 is loving garbage.

Did the season pass finally finish up? If they managed to actually complete that I think it's time I go back and replay the thing to see how the extras turned out... although this does not sound stellar.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Kentucky Route Zero fully released? Is it worth buying into? Is it good?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Turtlicious posted:

No. Yes. Very yes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Hahahaha what, frontlines was one of the worst games I've ever played

Play more games, I guess? I had fun with it all those years ago. :shrug:
Been atleast 8 years or so since I played though.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

Play more games, I guess? I had fun with it all those years ago.

Maybe he just plays good games beyond that one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

They also have very little to do with the actual making of some of "their" bigger games. Metro and Saints Row are both properties they bought after they were already nearly complete and Ryse they only handled the distribution of the PC box version (ie. in Europe). Dead Island is still the only series they did on their own that managed to become a big success and the studio that actually made Dead Island went to find a different publisher for Dying Light.

Turtlicious posted:

It's good as it is right now but not done yet and probably won't be for some time. Hard to say if its worth actually getting right now though because its a game that very much needs to be continued.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Drifter posted:

Maybe he just plays good games beyond that one.

I don't know man, I've seen his past posts and his taste is questionable. :smuggo:
Am I doing the superior goon impression right?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

Am I doing the superior goon impression right?

Eh, I've seen better. :smugbird:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

IGgy IGsen posted:

Only SR4 is an actually good game.

I don't want to support them, though. I'm still a little guilty I bought One Finger Death Punch before finding out more about who made it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

- It will build on games like Banjo-Kazooie, which they all worked on
- It's a collectathon 3D platformer with a hub world full of things to do/collect like Banjo. Here's a couple of screens they showed of the hub world they're building (in progress)

Oh god

quote:

- David Wise and Grant Kirkhope are both doing music for the game
OH GOD

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I don't get people who say stuff like "Saints Row 4 was too crazy and not serious enough and I didn't enjoy it". The game is bonkers, super heroes and lovely people being dicks and saving the world sorta while murdering millions. Good stuff. Very video games.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

I don't want to support them, though. I'm still a little guilty I bought One Finger Death Punch before finding out more about who made it.

Wait what's wrong with the One Finger Death Punch devs? I guess I'm unaware of anything they've done that's terrible or what-not.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AxeManiac posted:

I don't get people who say stuff like "Saints Row 4 was too crazy and not serious enough and I didn't enjoy it". The game is bonkers, super heroes and lovely people being dicks and saving the world sorta while murdering millions. Good stuff. Very video games.
People seem to put 2 on a pedestal too much. It's good, but its not nearly as fun to play as 3 and 4 are, especially 4. 4 is the best superhero action game I've played. (Batman doesn't count, because he has no superpowers)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I've got a theory that the people who enjoyed Saint's Row 2 were those who liked getting into a GTA and completing the game, exploring the whole city etc, and those who enjoy 3 and 4 were more into flipping all the cheats on and messing around.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ikari Worrier posted:

Wait what's wrong with the One Finger Death Punch devs? I guess I'm unaware of anything they've done that's terrible or what-not.

They make a bunch of really lovely shovelware, some with disguised in app purchases.

AxeManiac posted:

Saints Row only got good the more it stopped trying to be the Go-Bots of open world crime games.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've got a theory that the people who enjoyed Saint's Row 2 were those who liked getting into a GTA and completing the game, exploring the whole city etc, and those who enjoy 3 and 4 were more into flipping all the cheats on and messing around.
I never cheated in SR3, I just enjoyed wandering around and having fun in a game that basically didn't give a poo poo.

I also liked the fact that in spite of your character being an inserted creation you actually seemed to act like you were part of the plot. Felt like a man or woman of action, instead of the bog standard protagonist who just gets dragged everywhere and through everything. Granted I think that has to do with morality - that if your character "never asked for this" it's okay to shoot like 500 people in the face, whereas the SR boss was like YES! Shooting people in the face rules! Give me the tank!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Spiderdrake posted:

I never cheated in SR3, I just enjoyed wandering around and having fun in a game that basically didn't give a poo poo.

I also liked the fact that in spite of your character being an inserted creation you actually seemed to act like you were part of the plot. Felt like a man or woman of action, instead of the bog standard protagonist who just gets dragged everywhere and through everything. Granted I think that has to do with morality - that if your character "never asked for this" it's okay to shoot like 500 people in the face, whereas the SR boss was like YES! Shooting people in the face rules! Give me the tank!

What I mean is, Saint's Row 3 normal is like Vice City or San Andreas with cheats on. (My own problems with the game relate far more to how obviously unfinished it is, but that's the impression I get.)

• Locked thread