Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CottonWolf posted:

It's tragic that that Ars Magica game on Kickstarter didn't get funded. Though it seemed more grand strategy-y that IE like in its implementation.
Yeah, exploration/dungeon delving and fighting aren't really a focus of the AM rules. A Darklands-style presentation/structure would probably work a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
One of the programmers said he saw that a fix in the code check-ins for the disengagement issue. I'd like to know how they fixed it though because there are a few possibilities.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Damage scales "naturally" for casters due to the fact that they get more powerful spells upon leveling. Does the damage for non-casters scale naturally as well? Or does increasing damage for Fighters and the like mostly come from upgrading/enchanting weapons?

Further, which stats increase and which stay the same?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't even know what kind of computer game you could make from Ars Magica that would do it justice. So much of it is using your magic in new ways to do new things, all of which have to be worked out by the group. Then there's the political angle.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If I want to shoot guns, which class should I be? Ranger or Rogue? I thought rangers are better shots, but I don't want to worry about the pet running off and getting killed.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Comstar posted:

If I want to shoot guns, which class should I be? Ranger or Rogue? I thought rangers are better shots, but I don't want to worry about the pet running off and getting killed.

If you stack crit chance and crit damage talents on a Rogue, you will have a lot of fun with guns. Opening combat by one shotting someone is pretty fun.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Just realized I can live my dream of being a cowboy wizard with my six shooter and spell book. I desperately hope there is a cosmetic hat that is even close to a stetson now.

EDIT: Or holy poo poo I can be the Mr. Cash, the Man In Black, a chanter in fancy clothes and a six-iron on his hip. I ain't sayin' he beat the Devil, but he drank his beer for nothin', and he stole his song too.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

El Pollo Blanco posted:

If you stack crit chance and crit damage talents on a Rogue, you will have a lot of fun with guns. Opening combat by one shotting someone is pretty fun.

One shotting enemies from a distance takes away from the strategic elements though. I propose Obsidian remove gunplay from the game. This is an exploit that should not be here.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

homeless poster posted:

Just realized I can live my dream of being a cowboy wizard with my six shooter and spell book. I desperately hope there is a cosmetic hat that is even close to a stetson now.
Hmm. I think the crested or duelist's hats are probably the closest.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
The expansion for this game should feature an abomination of a creature that is the result of a teleportation spell gone wrong. A party of adventurers merged together into a single monstrosity with 12 weapon wielding arms, a veritable ball of murder, named Ikusnes.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ither posted:

Damage scales "naturally" for casters due to the fact that they get more powerful spells upon leveling. Does the damage for non-casters scale naturally as well? Or does increasing damage for Fighters and the like mostly come from upgrading/enchanting weapons?

Further, which stats increase and which stay the same?

Either by design decision or because they didn't bother to balance spells, it's actually kind of the opposite. Fighters and other weapon users are constantly upgrading weapons and getting talents that make those weapons hit harder and be more accurate, while spellcasters have few ways to improve their accuracy or damage relative to similarly leveled opponents. Druids have a pretty nice curve of more damaging/impactful spells with levels, but wizards, priests, and ciphers all seem to have significant droughts where their highest damage or best cc spell is 1 or 2 or 3 levels behind the highest spell level they can cast.

Both players and enemies get 3/accuracy and 3/all defense per level and some class/race endurance and health. I think those are the only stats that change, but I'm probably forgetting something.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Weapons can have up to a +12 enchantment on accuracy from a quality enchantment that is not natural. Non-weapon abilities/spells get level bonus to attack which is max of 12.

The difference is that accuracy can also be increased via talents and such, so weapon accuracy will usually always be better than spell accuracy.

And I agree with Roguelike about spell damage balancing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Seems to me as though most of the spellcaster classes are focused on either buffing or CC, anyway

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the highest level scrolls that are in the game?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the highest level scrolls that are in the game?

this game has scrolls? uh oh, better call bethesda...

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Karkarov HUD revision 4, with custom backing for menu buttons

I believe custom art for the ability bar is on the cards next.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Roguelike posted:

Either by design decision or because they didn't bother to balance spells, it's actually kind of the opposite. Fighters and other weapon users are constantly upgrading weapons and getting talents that make those weapons hit harder and be more accurate, while spellcasters have few ways to improve their accuracy or damage relative to similarly leveled opponents. Druids have a pretty nice curve of more damaging/impactful spells with levels, but wizards, priests, and ciphers all seem to have significant droughts where their highest damage or best cc spell is 1 or 2 or 3 levels behind the highest spell level they can cast.

Both players and enemies get 3/accuracy and 3/all defense per level and some class/race endurance and health. I think those are the only stats that change, but I'm probably forgetting something.

There's no such thing as a +3 grimoire or +5 wand or w/e that lets a wizard or cypher's spellcasting advance the same way as a fighter or rogue's fighting does?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sensuki posted:

Karkarov HUD revision 4, with custom backing for menu buttons

Weren't you the one saying that having chat on the right-hand side made it awkward to read?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Jackard posted:

Weren't you the one saying that having chat on the right-hand side made it awkward to read?

Yep, but we have four versions of that UI for various preferences. I took a screenshot of the default layout because I thought that would be the most appealing to people here. There is a reverse of that one, then there are versions with the menus in the left and right corners, with portraits on the left and right. The new build broke a few things in the IE mod and Bester has been working on fixing them, but I found a few more today.

--------

I've made several high Perception characters now to try and do a good interrupt focused build, but IMO it has been a complete waste. Even on the BB Rogue who has 22 Perception, I am just not seeing the value in Bonus Interrupt. It's super unreliable because it relies on two random rolls to occur (hit roll and interrupt roll). When you hit with a low interrupt weapon it doesn't really do much unless you actually cancel the animation of an attack. I've tried maximum Interrupt and Dexterity Barbarians dual wielding, but I just didn't get enough interrupts to warrant picking that over Might.

Occasionally when you get a Morningstar interrupt, which is 1 second long - that's noticeable, but it doesn't happen very often in the beta and the bonus interrupt from Perception doesn't give you enough more of them to justify picking over Might or Dexterity (or Intellect) IMO.

This attribute is utterly worthless for casters as well, so I'm afraid I'll be dumping it/not raising above 10 on all characters except pure tanks, because it's needed for the Deflection.

If not for the bonus Deflection, we're basically back where we started in v257.

Definitely going to be modding in +1 Accuracy on top of it and trying that.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 15, 2015

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
How comes there's no stealth + mechanics background?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Sensuki posted:

Weapons can have up to a +12 enchantment on accuracy from a quality enchantment that is not natural. Non-weapon abilities/spells get level bonus to attack which is max of 12.

What a strange number to go up to. I assume that can only mean that there is a Two Handed Hackmaster +12 sword somewhere. If not, there should be.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ferrinus posted:

There's no such thing as a +3 grimoire or +5 wand or w/e that lets a wizard or cypher's spellcasting advance the same way as a fighter or rogue's fighting does?

Nope. The whole accuracy thing is needlessly complicated. I don't know how they ended up on this dark and winding path, but it must have been quite a ride. My favorite is that for some reason most spellcasters have ten less accuracy than weapon classes, but to make up for that almost all spells have a universal plus ten accuracy modifier. The end result is cluttered and mostly useless information on every spell info screen informing you that, yes, this spell has plus ten accuracy just like all others.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Comstar posted:

What a strange number to go up to. I assume that can only mean that there is a Two Handed Hackmaster +12 sword somewhere. If not, there should be.

There isn't a +12 sword. Weapons don't come with a + at the end of their name. +12 is simply the additional accuracy ( on a percentile roll ) you get from the highest level of quality weapons.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tzarnal posted:

There isn't a +12 sword. Weapons don't come with a + at the end of their name. +12 is simply the additional accuracy ( on a percentile roll ) you get from the highest level of quality weapons.

So what you're saying is it's a Steel sword +3 but a Fiery Balgrabbah Gemstone and Unicorn Bone sword +12, right?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Roguelike posted:

Nope. The whole accuracy thing is needlessly complicated. I don't know how they ended up on this dark and winding path, but it must have been quite a ride. My favorite is that for some reason most spellcasters have ten less accuracy than weapon classes, but to make up for that almost all spells have a universal plus ten accuracy modifier. The end result is cluttered and mostly useless information on every spell info screen informing you that, yes, this spell has plus ten accuracy just like all others.

I think that was to make them worse at fighting with weapons than Martial classes, although I agree that it's not doing the system any favors.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Right, it's the obvious means of making spellcasters better at spellcasting than melee. You can weep over lost power gaming potential or you can think of it as incentive to use spells

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Drifter posted:

So what you're saying is it's a Steel sword +3 but a Fiery Balgrabbah Gemstone and Unicorn Bone sword +12, right?

Okay lets actually break this down.

This is a regular sword.

Now as you go through the game you'll find fancier swords, this is an rpg and we're all here to Make Numbers Go Up after all. So behold the slightly better sword. What in DnD would be the Sword +1. The Fine Sword.

Okay so the basic quality steps are Normal, Fine, Superb and Exceptional. Each step features +4 accuracy and %15 more damage. So this is what the Exceptional modifier looks like:

Nowhere does that +12 or that additional 45% damage come up in the name of a weapon.

This is all a bit boring though, we're looking at BG's equivalent of a straight up +3 weapon here. If you enchant a weapon up to the gills it would look something more like this:

Ignore the increased reach, that is just a feature of pikes. So what you see here is a Quality improvement ( Fine ), A Damage type improvement (Corrosive Lash ) and a Slaying improvement ( Vessel ). This is what a normal weapon is going to look like when a player has enchanted it to make it better. But things you find out in the wild, really really cool weapons don't quite have those limitations. So lets look at one more weapon.

I hope this helps people understand the basics of fancy weapons in PoE.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Very cool post Tzarnal!

That also reminds me has anyone done basic guide to PoE lore type of videos I could look at to hype myself up even more?

Edit: found this which seems to give very nice overview of PoE lore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4QBBTLo0I

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 15, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Please tag your post with Trigger Warning: Ligatures next time.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tzarnal posted:

Okay lets actually break this down.

This is a regular sword.

Now as you go through the game you'll find fancier swords, this is an rpg and we're all here to Make Numbers Go Up after all. So behold the slightly better sword. What in DnD would be the Sword +1. The Fine Sword.

Okay so the basic quality steps are Normal, Fine, Superb and Exceptional. Each step features +4 accuracy and %15 more damage. So this is what the Exceptional modifier looks like:

Nowhere does that +12 or that additional 45% damage come up in the name of a weapon.

This is all a bit boring though, we're looking at BG's equivalent of a straight up +3 weapon here. If you enchant a weapon up to the gills it would look something more like this:

Ignore the increased reach, that is just a feature of pikes. So what you see here is a Quality improvement ( Fine ), A Damage type improvement (Corrosive Lash ) and a Slaying improvement ( Vessel ). This is what a normal weapon is going to look like when a player has enchanted it to make it better. But things you find out in the wild, really really cool weapons don't quite have those limitations. So lets look at one more weapon.

I hope this helps people understand the basics of fancy weapons in PoE.

:thejoke:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Does the rangers pet have the same stealth value as the ranger? If so, they'd make excellent disposable scouts.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CottonWolf posted:

Does the rangers pet have the same stealth value as the ranger? If so, they'd make excellent disposable scouts.

I use my animal companions as weapon and spell target dummies. Sometimes not being able to die is a terrible curse.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Diomedes posted:

The expansion for this game should feature an abomination of a creature that is the result of a teleportation spell gone wrong. A party of adventurers merged together into a single monstrosity with 12 weapon wielding arms, a veritable ball of murder, named Ikusnes.

I teleported home last night
with Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
and I got Sidney's leg

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do backers get the game in advance? Pretty please

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I think the ligatures are cool but shouldn't there be more of them?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am really hoping the manual or lore book get released a little bit early so I can have some good toilet readin before the game comes out.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hand Row posted:

I am really hoping the manual or lore book get released a little bit early so I can have some good toilet readin before the game comes out.

They said they'd release the Digital Keys about a week before the 26th. I'm secretly hoping the extra goods won't be encrypted in Steam (or simply available through the backer portal) so we can enjoy the soundtrack and various documents before the actual release.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Brandon Adler said this on the OEI forums:

quote:

We are giving people Steam editions that we have matched to their tiers. On Monday I will make a post showing the different mappings. Also, everyone will be able to download their rewards from our backer portal, as well.

Hopefully that'll be true though I almost think it's too early to release all the goodies and then we have to wait MORE THAN A WEEK DAMNIT to play the game...

*entitled!*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tzarnal posted:

Awesome weapon stuff

Question:

When it says +20% Corrosive damage, does that mean it makes all Corrosive damage you already do through other means get +20% or does it add +20% to the base damage of the item (that is considered corrosive in nature)? So if it does 10 damage, it does 12? Or does it do 10 no matter what, but if I have a corrosive enchant on it, the enchant does an extra 20%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Question:

When it says +20% Corrosive damage, does that mean it makes all Corrosive damage you already do through other means get +20% or does it add +20% to the base damage of the item (that is considered corrosive in nature)? So if it does 10 damage, it does 12? Or does it do 10 no matter what, but if I have a corrosive enchant on it, the enchant does an extra 20%?

Whenever you do damage ( with the weapon) the Lash Enchantment does 25% additional damage. So a hit for 8 damage would do 2 additional corrosive damage. A graze against some decent DR might see you do only a .3 or so corrosive damage.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 15, 2015

• Locked thread