Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

cebrail posted:

Meanwhile, we're allowing this to happen:

Was going to draft him but I saw David Wright sitting there in the second to last round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ZenVulgarity posted:

How the gently caress is that possible

My guess is that he didn't preset any values because the top players were going for more than their preset value. Crimson Tide had the same issue until he showed up around the 100th pick, but at least he was drafted Kemp and Holliday.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I just did one of those Yahoo Snap Draft leagues, it was pretty fun and crazy. Lester went 13th overall, Puig 9th overall, Darvish was drafted, someone took Felix with Stanton and Goldy still on the board, etc.

I'm pretty drat happy with my team.

Yahoo 12 team H2H 5x5

C: Russell Martin
1B: Jose Abreu
2B: Kolten Wong
3B: Chris Davis
SS: Hanley Ramirez
OF: Bryce Harper
OF: Carlos Gonzalez
OF: Starling Marte
UTIL: Leonys Martin
UTIL: Joc Pederson
BN: Aaron Hill

SP: Matt Harvey, Jacob DeGrom, Carlos Carrasco, Michael Wacha, Justin Verlander, Danny Duffy, Carlos Martinez

RP: Dellin Betances, Joaquin Benoit, Sean Doolittle, Brad Boxberger, Wade Davis

:snoop:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The most dangerous game.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Gonna be so great when Bryant gets called up :allears:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Why did you let me know about on-demand drafts :ohdear:

This team I am trying a theory I've worked on in H2H for a while which is focusing on non-closer relief to shore up my pitching staff with some upper-middle class SP. The league is shallow enough that I took shots on risk/reward hitters to drop within the first few weeks if they don't pan out.

Both FantasyPros draft analyzer and the built-in Yahoo draft analyzer put it in first but the back-end of my batters are junk and I am waiting for one to fall off to switch to a 2:3 batter:pitcher bench ratio. It's making me wonder about my team evaluation skills since I don't like what I have but both analyzers love it.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 15, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Spoeank posted:

This team I am trying a theory I've worked on in H2H for a while which is focusing on non-closer relief to shore up my pitching staff with some upper-middle class SP. The league is shallow enough that I took shots on risk/reward hitters to drop within the first few weeks if they don't pan out.

Both FantasyPros draft analyzer and the built-in Yahoo draft analyzer put it in first but the back-end of my batters are junk and I am waiting for one to fall off to switch to a 2:3 batter:pitcher bench ratio. It's making me wonder about my team evaluation skills since I don't like what I have but both analyzers love it.

I will take Wade Davis all day long in the 22nd. High k/9 non-closers from teams like KC and TB have saved many of my pitching staffs.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Goon league people: Check your inboxes for a keeper league invite.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I wonder if these Yahoo On-Demand Drafts are a soft-launch for how they are doing Pro Leagues this year. It makes sense if they aren't opening until April and the season starts April 5.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Spoeank posted:

I know, my friend told me about them. They are so drat tempting! He's in 4 leagues already because of them, and he had told me he was only doing 2 this year including a Pro league.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I just did one of those Yahoo Snap Draft leagues, it was pretty fun and crazy. Lester went 13th overall, Puig 9th overall, Darvish was drafted, someone took Felix with Stanton and Goldy still on the board, etc.

Hahaha what the gently caress, that's insane. Then again I had a league last year that literally left Cueto like till the second to last round so go figure. That SP/RP rotation loving owns, though.

What rounds are Big Bad Harv going in lately? I'm going all in for hitters earlier than I usually do so I wanna try to make a run for Harv as the ace if I skip the early big names.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

That SP/RP rotation loving owns, though.

Thanks! :cheers:

MinibarMatchman posted:

What rounds are Big Bad Harv going in lately? I'm going all in for hitters earlier than I usually do so I wanna try to make a run for Harv as the ace if I skip the early big names.

I got him mid 6th round.

edit: Haha I just realized that dumbass that took Lester 13th overall is like CUBS SUPERFAN #1:waycool:, his first 7 picks were ALL Cubs! Rizzo, Lester, Soler, Castro, Bryant, Arrieta, Baez. He also took Rondon and Montero later in the draft.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 15, 2015

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I took over the last place team in a league with 20 keepers out of 26 roster spots. Were drafting soon, and I'm just not sure how far into the future I should be looking for prospects. Any advice?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Wolfy posted:

I took over the last place team in a league with 20 keepers out of 26 roster spots. Were drafting soon, and I'm just not sure how far into the future I should be looking for prospects. Any advice?

It probably depends on how bad your team is and the settings, but I would never devote a spot to a guy who isn't likely to play in 2015 in the majors. I'd have at most 2 minor leaguers and only if they were top 10 prospects. It's better to try to find guys off waivers who might turn out to be top talents instead of keeping prospects as dead weight for two years. See guys like Goldschmidt/Gomez/Altuve/Rizzo who were lesser prospects at best but are all top 15 players now. And look at guys like Profar/Myers/Tavares who were #1 prospects and haven't amounted to anything.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Depends on the keeper settings. Do you just keep 20, or does it cost a draft pick/auction $$ to keep a guy? If the latter, does the pick or $$ inflate every year? Drafting a prospect that's a year or two away for $1 makes more sense if he'll still cost $1 in 2017.

You'll also need to decide how many roster spots you're willing to devote to prospects who won't contribute in 2015. Alternately you could tank this season and draft a shitload of prospects. Doesn't sound fun to me but it might be the best longterm strategy in a league with so many keepers.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Schweinhund posted:

And look at guys like Tavares who were #1 prospects and haven't amounted to anything.

Well, let's give this guy a little credit with the setbacks he's had.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

Well, let's give this guy a little credit with the setbacks he's had.

They were all self inflicted though so it's hard to give him a break.

Wolfy posted:

As others have said, it depends on the settings, but personally if it was a last place team and you're keeping that many players then your team is probably terrible and I'd load up on prospects. Then you can either keep them for a year or two down the road or try and trade them for players that are real good right now.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 16, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Schweinhund posted:

And look at guys like Tavares who were #1 prospects and haven't amounted to anything.

Some prospects pan out, some hit a wall.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Another year, another year work has screwed me at the last moment for the draft. Would anyone want to draft a team for me Sat Mar 21 3:00pm EDT for $20 PayPaled?
12 team Roto snake draft
Positions-C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, RP, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: R, HR, RBI,AVG, OBP, SLG, NSB
Pitchers Stat Categories:W, HLD, ERA, WHIP,K/9, QS, NSV
Shoot me a PM and come Saturday you can post the results which normally have some very interesting pick choices.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rizzo or Encarnacion

OBP and SLUG instead of AVE and HRs.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
12 team competitive Yahoo! league has a few spots open. Live Draft is set for March 27th but is open for reschedule.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP), Slugging Percentage (SLG)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Innings Pitched (IP), Complete Games (CG), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9), Quality Starts (QS)

Post or PM if interested.

fromsinkingsands fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 17, 2015

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

Rizzo or Encarnacion

OBP and SLUG instead of AVE and HRs.

i'd go rizzo. ee's dealing with a slight back strain, which could flare up through the season. plus rizzo's got youth on his side.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Retail Slave what the hell :psyduck:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

i'd go rizzo. ee's dealing with a slight back strain, which could flare up through the season. plus rizzo's got youth on his side.

Is Cubs homerism divorced from this analysis!?!?

Are any Phillies besides Papelbon going to be drafted?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I mean Myers had one bad year where he was dealing with an injury but, before that, he had one year where he was rookie of the year after being incredibly hyped.

I have a spot open in a casual ESPN H2H 5x5 12 team league with OBP instead of AVG (3 keepers starting this season). I'm trying to recruit people who want to make trades and want to be a little involved as the league and help it develop as it current has a few of my friends who want to develop the league into something and a few of our friends who we have to convince not to draft Freddie Freeman right away. The draft is tentatively set for this Sunday afternoon but may get pushed back to the evening.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 17, 2015

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Any preference between Goldy and Stanton? I'm in a 12 team snake, standard H2H scoring, picking 3rd. Seems to be a good smattering of OFs in the early 3rd round which makes me lean to Goldy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

IcePhoenix posted:

Retail Slave what the hell :psyduck:

I'm not good at initial trades. I'm much better at counters. I'm interested, but if he's untradeable that's fine.

I meant to put that in the message line. I'm really not an idiot.

Well, depending on who you ask.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 17, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I will possibly have spots open in a 12-14 team head to head keeper league with a standard draft. It's 7x7 with the norman 5x5 with OPB, SLG, K/BB, and Holds added.

Post or IM me with your email. If my initial invites haven't joined by tomorrow I'll open it up to first come, first served.

Does Yahoo let you post a league password anymore so you can just post that instead of emailing people?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Retail Slave posted:

I'm not good at initial trades. I'm much better at counters. I'm interested, but if he's untradeable that's fine.

I meant to put that in the message line. I'm really not an idiot.

Well, depending on who you ask.

Santana is not really untradeable but the best I can give you is never look at a trade as player(s) for player(s), look at the entire roster of the guy you're trying to trade with.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Which sad fucker here has Stroman and Darvish

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Boosh! posted:

Any preference between Goldy and Stanton? I'm in a 12 team snake, standard H2H scoring, picking 3rd. Seems to be a good smattering of OFs in the early 3rd round which makes me lean to Goldy.

Assuming that's 5 OF, then I would go with Stanton since the league is trying to fill 60 starting outfield spots and 1B is a lot deeper than OF if you look at it from that perspective, in my opinion. I mean there are a lot of ways to get cute in the outfield but I'd rather take a sure thing since you don't have to worry about a budget.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

You should always go BPA for the first few rounds of the draft, at least.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

the_american_dream posted:

If any of youse guys could do projection for my league (i have the details) please hit me up via PM. Ill toss you an upgrade or cash via paypal. I have the tools just too dumb to know how to use them! :saddowns:

Just reposting this once more in case one of you cool dudes wanna take me up on this and help a fellow goon out here :)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Retail Slave posted:

I will possibly have spots open in a 12-14 team head to head keeper league with a standard draft. It's 7x7 with the norman 5x5 with OPB, SLG, K/BB, and Holds added.

Post or IM me with your email. If my initial invites haven't joined by tomorrow I'll open it up to first come, first served.

Does Yahoo let you post a league password anymore so you can just post that instead of emailing people?

I'm gonna pass on this one Retail Slave. I said yes to every league last year & I'm trying to not do that this year. Have fun though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spoeank posted:

I'm gonna pass on this one Retail Slave. I said yes to every league last year & I'm trying to not do that this year. Have fun though.

Fair enough. Thanks for letting me know.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is arenado basically donaldson-lite?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

I am also going to pass. Thanks, though!

Abel Wingnut posted:

is arenado basically donaldson-lite?

I am really high on Arenado. From memory, I think he hits for more power than Donaldson, as reflected in his SLG. I think he could be a top-20 player this year.

---

Does anyone have a preference for the least amount of people that could play in a league for it still to be fun? I am trying to start a league for friends, but I don't know a large amount of people who are watch baseball (fewer who pay attention to more than just a few names on the Jays), so I am trying to figure out the minimum amount of players I would want. I figure 8 is a good number, but I may only be able to get 6. Any thoughts?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

You should always go BPA for the first few rounds of the draft, at least.

I think the problem is they are considered #3/4 or 4/3 depending on who you ask.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

Does anyone have a preference for the least amount of people that could play in a league for it still to be fun? I am trying to start a league for friends, but I don't know a large amount of people who are watch baseball (fewer who pay attention to more than just a few names on the Jays), so I am trying to figure out the minimum amount of players I would want. I figure 8 is a good number, but I may only be able to get 6. Any thoughts?

12. 10 in an emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Twin Cinema posted:

8 is kind of small but 10 is perfect IMO. Anything beyond 12 for me resulted in a really thin and unfun player pool. try to at least get 8 because 6 is just bullshit.

• Locked thread