Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Proc damage works like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_A6fmEqsLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Question:

When it says +20% Corrosive damage, does that mean it makes all Corrosive damage you already do through other means get +20% or does it add +20% to the base damage of the item (that is considered corrosive in nature)? So if it does 10 damage, it does 12? Or does it do 10 no matter what, but if I have a corrosive enchant on it, the enchant does an extra 20%?

It does 25 % damage of the elemental type against a 25 % of the dr.
e.g a weapon that deals 10 slash damage and has + 25 % burn damage. will deal the following damage:
enemy with 8 dr: 10 - 8 = 2 slash damage + 2.5- 2= 0.5 burn damage, total amount: 2.5
enemy with 8 slash dr and 6 burn dr: 10 - 8 = 2 slash damage + 2.5- 1.5= 1 burn damage, total amount: 3
If you would crit with the weapon( + 50 %(not sure if it's still 50 %, but it's easier to calculate with 50 %)):
enemy with 8 dr: 15 - 8 = 7 slash damage + 3.75- 2= 1.75 burn damage, total amount: 8.75
enemy with 8 slash dr and 6 burn dr: 15 - 8 = 7 slash damage + 3,75- 1.5= 2.25 burn damage, total amount: 9.25

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 15, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, how exactly would you build the pirate-style rogue now that Dexterity works, Sensuki? I figure you could sacrifice a few points from Intellect to Dexterity so that once you run out of guns you can do a decent job with a secondary weapon like a bow.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Leinadi posted:

Brandon Adler said this on the OEI forums:

Hopefully that'll be true though I almost think it's too early to release all the goodies and then we have to wait MORE THAN A WEEK DAMNIT to play the game...

*entitled!*

I think you might be misinterpreting. He didn't say we'd be able to download anything early, just that backers will be able to grab stuff from the backer portal as well as whichever digital distribution provider we choose.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

prometheus12345 posted:

e.g a weapon that deals 10 slash damage and has + 25 % burn damage. will deal the following damage:
enemy with 8 dr: 10 - 8 = 2 slash damage + 2.5- 2= 0.5 burn damage, total amount: 2.5
enemy with 8 slash dr and 6 burn dr: 10 - 8 = 2 slash damage + 2.5- 1.5= 1 burn damage, total amount: 3
If you would crit with the weapon( + 50 %):
enemy with 8 dr: 15 - 8 = 7 slash damage + 3.75- 2= 1.75 burn damage, total amount: 8.75
enemy with 8 slash dr and 6 burn dr: 15 - 8 = 7 slash damage + 3,75- 1.5= 2.25 burn damage, total amount: 9.25

I had not realized it worked that way. Though it makes sense since it'll allow lower or higher DR ratings from the base to still influence the lash damage.

Its easy to miss this is you only test against uniform DR ratings.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Rope kid, please make Sensuki into an NPC in the expansion.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Roguelike posted:

Nope. The whole accuracy thing is needlessly complicated.
What's complicated about it?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

prometheus12345 posted:

If you would crit with the weapon( + 50 %(not sure if it's still 50 %, but it's easier to calculate with 50 %)):

So the value % (25% in your example) applies to both the base damage as well as the DR against the base damage (Slash in your example) unless there's a DR specific to the effect (that'd be your second example, where the Burn DR is lower than the Slash's)? Because in your first example the Burn damage is 2.5 (25% of 10) but the DR is 2 (25% of... the DR?)

Sorry for the dumb questions, math is hard.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ferrinus posted:

There's no such thing as a +3 grimoire or +5 wand or w/e that lets a wizard or cypher's spellcasting advance the same way as a fighter or rogue's fighting does?
I would have liked to extend Accuracy bonuses to spells via equipped weapons, but there were enough problems and complications with deriving Accuracy in code that we didn't move forward with it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the weapon explanation!

Is it possible to bypass DR?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Raw damage ignores all DR. Some weapons specifically negate a portion of DR (e.g. stilettos, estocs).

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

rope kid posted:

Raw damage ignores all DR. Some weapons specifically negate a portion of DR (e.g. stilettos, estocs).

I like the fact it's called raw because it makes me think of this straw-haired surfer dude named chad watching my every move and going DUDE THAT DAMAGE WAS SO FUCKIN RAW

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Does every type of damage besides raw have its own specific DR?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Airfoil posted:

I think you might be misinterpreting. He didn't say we'd be able to download anything early, just that backers will be able to grab stuff from the backer portal as well as whichever digital distribution provider we choose.

Whoops, yeah. Now that I'm re-reading it, what you say make sense.

Well, now I'm mad I won't get to see the goodies tomorrow! It never ends...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SurrealityCheck posted:

I like the fact it's called raw because it makes me think of this straw-haired surfer dude named chad watching my every move and going DUDE THAT DAMAGE WAS SO FUCKIN RAW

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

What's complicated about it?

I think my biggest issue is that it's not consistent or intuitive or fun. In a game where might gives a damage bonus to everything, it seems like that sort of simplicity might extend to other mechanics, but it doesn't.

Spellcasters having a separate accuracy formula that isn't displayed on their character sheet is complicated. Weapon bonuses don't apply to it but shield penalties do. Most, but not all spells giving +10 accuracy is both complicated and a source of endless spell description errors. Returning Storm lists no accuracy bonus and has no accuracy bonus. Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon lists no accuracy bonus, but is actually +15. Searing Seal lists no accuracy bonus is actually +41. It's bugged, but I have no idea what Searing Seal's accuracy is supposed to be, there doesn't seem to be any relation between a spell's power/purpose and its accuracy.

And in the end, there's no payoff to understanding any of it. Almost never is the difference in accuracy enough to consider using one spell over another, it would change very little (besides being a slight buff to Ciphers) if the spell accuracy were formula were modified to give +10 and all references to accuracy were removed from spell descriptions.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I do agree that how non-weapon-based abilities' (it's not just spells and not just for spellcasters) Accuracy works would be better if it were derived more consistently. I don't like the data-driven approach because it can result in a lot of odd bugs.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Eej posted:

Please tag your post with Trigger Warning: Ligatures next time.

Thanks I was looking for a new thread title

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is there an up-to-date place to read about the different class mechanics, character options and such? Someone said the wiki was no longer accurate.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
No access to the BB here, any good youtubes of the latest build in action??

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think we may have to face the possibility that PoE will ship containing mechanics that can be laboriously exploited

2 pages back, but I really want to say: how can you have a spiritual successor to BGII any other way?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ikanreed posted:

2 pages back, but I really want to say: how can you have a spiritual successor to BGII any other way?

How dare you suggest that BGII was anything but a perfect gift from the gods for all future games to judged against and found unworthy!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How dare you suggest that BGII was anything but a perfect gift from the gods for all future games to judged against and found unworthy!

All the cheese in it just adds to some wabisabi style perfection

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It wasn't perfect but how many other games from 15 years ago still have active threads here?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It wasn't perfect but how many other games from 15 years ago still have active threads here?

I'd blame the audience mentality, not the quality of the game, to be honest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Drifter posted:

I'd blame the audience mentality, not the quality of the game, to be honest.
Basically. RPG nerds tend to replay the same games endlessly. Plus the IE games have gotten a number of Enhanced Editions over the last few years. Plus it's a D&D game so you'll have various active discussions pertaining to rules and editions and the like. Plus it's from a major RPG developer so the thread will invariably stay alive as someone drops in to complain about them in some capacity and people will take it upon themselves to summarize every bad decision they ever made and then others will come in to defend or pile on, etc. DA: Inquisition's thread will be undying 15 years from now solely on the strength of how hard spergs get when they think about how much they dislike Sera

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 15, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Basically. RPG nerds tend to replay the same games endlessly. Plus the IE games have gotten a number of Enhanced Editions over the last few years. Plus it's a D&D game so you'll have various active discussions pertaining to rules and editions and the like. Plus it's from a major RPG developer so the thread will invariably stay alive as someone drops in to complain about them in some capacity and people will take it upon themselves to summarize every bad decision they ever made and then others will come in to defend or pile on, etc. DA: Inquisition's thread will be undying 15 years from now solely on the strength of how hard spergs get when they think about how much they dislike Sera

There's no way most any of us will be replaying Inquisition in 15 years though. Unless we're still trying to finish all the sidequests.

Edit:vvv I played it about 4-5 times. But never again. There's nothing left to do and the main drive behind that game for me was the story and choices, which ended up not really mattering.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 15, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There are people on this forum that have played Mass Effect 2 multiple dozens of times.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Deus Ex.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Sharmat posted:

There are people on this forum that have played Mass Effect 2 multiple dozens of times.
I'm playing it right now! Just so perfectly paced

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Asses aside, ME2 just hits some pretty loving fun notes. I've played it three times over the years.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Drifter posted:

Asses aside, ME2 just
I didnt play any of the ME's, but did anyone actually stop playing them because of asses?

Whenever I hear about that topic I have the same-old reaction about how people are alright with mass-murder and occasionally some kind of scifi planet-destroying specie-cide but OH NOES A BOOB!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Please quietly and gently close back that particular Pandora's box.

E:

FRINGE posted:

I didnt play any of the ME's, but did anyone actually stop playing them because of asses?

Whenever I hear about that topic I have the same-old reaction about how people are alright with mass-murder and occasionally some kind of scifi planet-destroying specie-cide but OH NOES A BOOB!

'Murica :911:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's probably the longest game that I've completed every single mission for and explored the gently caress out of everything more than once. Except maybe ME1 if that clocks in longer.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Nuh-uh, nope, not going there.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The retro FPS megathread makes the IE thread look like young whippersnappers. :colbert:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Furism posted:

Pandora's box.
Say what now?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think there's a content-based game good enough to have me replay it dozens of times, but ME2 is legit excellent.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
On the other hand, it is not good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FRINGE posted:

Say what now?

If it's got breasts but a full body suit and mask you can safely assume it's a man in there.

• Locked thread