Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lone Goat posted:

Solitary had something like this, it was "stay in this cramped box that you can barely sit comfortably in, step outside after precisely 3 hours". One guy said that he just recited the entire movie Titanic but ended up leaving a few minutes early because he forgot to count the credits.

That was such a great moment. It was a good strategy and it actually would have worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Solitary was a crazy show because the concept was literally "how much can we torture people if we give them a chance for $50,000" and the answer is "an incredible amount".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That describes every Asian game show.

Professor Shark posted:

People who respond to Mom Insults with DONTCHU SAY poo poo ABOWMY MOTHA!, especially in a game where the winner gets to be a millionaire, are idiots.

Not Rob isn't going to win.

There are a lot of players who aren't going to win. Really there are currently only 2 on each tribe who could potentially win.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Someone mentioned Solitary last year in a survivor thread and I'm really glad they did because that show is so good. If you're reading this and haven't watched Solitary, you need to do it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

GuavaMoment posted:

Someone mentioned Solitary last year in a survivor thread and I'm really glad they did because that show is so good. If you're reading this and haven't watched Solitary, you need to do it.

Solitary owns! I've always thought if I went on that show I would start to grow legitimately paranoid that it wasn't an actual game show and wouldn't end when I pressed the button.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The only thing I didn't like about solitary was that they eventually told you to stop if you were the last one standing in a challenge. They should have just let them keep going until it was time for the next challenge.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

cock hero flux posted:

The only thing I didn't like about solitary was that they eventually told you to stop if you were the last one standing in a challenge. They should have just let them keep going until it was time for the next challenge.

Yeah, but some of the challenges would be crossing the line from "good entertainment" to "people literally dying". Most of the time they were good at letting them fail eventually, but it really makes sense why Val told them to stop on others.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Binary Logic posted:

There are a lot of players who aren't going to win. Really there are currently only 2 on each tribe who could potentially win.

Who knows, I'm pretty sure that for most of Cagayan we described Tony as someone who had no potential to win, and last season we would have said the same thing about Natalie too after three episodes (what with the loud screaming at John Rocker)

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square

Professor Shark posted:

That was an awesome challenge, but hard to watch.

I think in the thread that season someone mentioned that some of the International Survivors had really great challenges that were similar, like "stand outside a circle in the hot sun, step into the circle after 4 hours. The person with the closest time wins!"

The dutch survivor last year had a challenge directly after the merge where everyone started in a dug pit together. The only way out was to work together with someone and hope they didn't run to the next part of the challenge after they got out. They ended up doing a boring plan where they waited till they got everyone out of the pit and then start again. Would love to see it in the US Survivor.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I always really like the endurance challenges where you can sit out and eat food the whole time if you want. Those are always very fun to see who the crazy selfish people who think they are on top of the game are.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

I always really like the endurance challenges where you can sit out and eat food the whole time if you want. Those are always very fun to see who the crazy selfish people who think they are on top of the game are.
The best version is the one where Jeff offers food while the challenge is going on. Someone always goes too early and the next person negotiates for twice as much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The best one of those was the Micronesia one where James laughs at everyone because they keep dropping out before making the deal with Jeff and then he's laughing so hard he ends up eliminating himself.

"Oh bitch!"

I feel like those challenge snever have the payoff that like the "Eliminate people but don't be stupid enough to do it in the boot order or else" challenges do where they sometimes open eyes and change the game. That's obviously what it's designed for but I feel like every time you have a bunch of people from the majority alliance sitting it out and one or two people competing so that plans don't get messed up but it never seems to change anything. Or maybe I'm just forgetting cool moments.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Binary Logic posted:

Which ones? I have three from White Collar, but that really can't be right.
Tyler, Max, Carolyn, Mike, Kelly, Joe, Hali

I know Kelly's a weird pick given she was almost invisible until now. But if we're picking at least two from each tribe, she's the distant #2 behind Mike.

Could get to the end, but will not win: Shirin, Dan, Sierra

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Which ones? I have three from White Collar, but that really can't be right.
Tyler, Max, Carolyn, Mike, Kelly, Joe, Hali

I know Kelly's a weird pick given she was almost invisible until now. But if we're picking at least two from each tribe, she's the distant #2 behind Mike.

Could get to the end, but will not win: Shirin, Dan, Sierra

Why Sierra and Dan? We don't really know much about Sierra yet, and Dan is unlikable but at least has some self-awareness, while Mike has none. I think Lindsay definitely won't win based on what we've seen of her personality so far. Everything about Max seems good on paper but I get the feeling that he doesn't really have the social game to actually win, the million clips of him talking about being a Scholar of Survivor seem like he's being set up to fail.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Lone Goat posted:

The survivor auction is actually really boring since they just sit on their cash until Jeff says there's AN ADVANTAGE THAT WILL HELP YOU IN THE GAME and then it's a race to see who can say "$500" fastest.

If they were smart, they'd hide the immunity clue/whatever under one of the mystery meals.

I want an auction where Jeff does his usual deal about the auction ending without notice and there is no challenge advantage. And it's the first food reward for a couple episodes and no food rewards for another episode. Just to shake it up and let future castaways know that the house always wins.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So what is the rumour mill saying on other sites about what the "secret" is this year.

I'm referring to Jeff's comments around "we do something this year that we have wanted to do for a long time but never had. It works out really well"

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

GuavaMoment posted:

Holy poo poo. I had never even heard of this show until just a few posts ago in this thread. I'm marathoning it on Hulu now and am almost done with the first season. It's awesome so far.

It reminds me of Portal.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Holy poo poo. I had never even heard of this show until just a few posts ago in this thread. I'm marathoning it on Hulu now and am almost done with the first season. It's awesome so far.

It reminds me of Portal.

Yeah. I have a combination "thanks" and "G.F.Y" for the people that mentioned it. I didn't have time to binge another show!

I also really like the premise.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

xcore posted:

So what is the rumour mill saying on other sites about what the "secret" is this year.

I'm referring to Jeff's comments around "we do something this year that we have wanted to do for a long time but never had. It works out really well"

This is just speculation but I'm spoiler tagging it anyway just in case no one wants any preconceived notions

The general consensus, based on speculation among other Survivor sites and the fan community, seems to be that it's most likely some sort of "vote doubler" where a contestant can find it and make their vote for a person count for two votes. The internet community has figured that this is probably the most likely twist based on what Jeff has said about the new twist, and the fact that he has responded directly to questions about this specific possibility in years past. Although it definitely could be way off.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

mancalamania posted:

In fact, all of the exciting challenges of the past few seasons that I can think of have stuck very closely to this format. Like at the Cagayan Final 4 when Chaos Kass casually strolled onto the beach 20 minutes behind everyone else and smugly put together the puzzle the other three were struggling with that whole time.

Kass :allears:

This made me go watch some of Cagayan's challenges on YouTube; what a great all-around cast that was.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to find Solitary after everyone's been talking about it, and it looks like seasons 2, 3 and 4 are all on youtube, but ive been unable to find season 1. Is there any reason i would need to watch season 1 first?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

uranus posted:

I've been trying to find Solitary after everyone's been talking about it, and it looks like seasons 2, 3 and 4 are all on youtube, but ive been unable to find season 1. Is there any reason i would need to watch season 1 first?

It's the best one.

I had trouble finding it myself. Found it on Hulu eventually but I have no idea if it's still up there.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I hadn't watched Solitary before, but I watched Solitary season 4 on Youtube yesterday. Great stuff. It does spoil who one of the finalists of season 2 is, in case you want to watch in order.

It really is awesome seeing a show where the challenges were actually punishing. Everything else is so lightweight compared to Solitary.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Anyone hear the story that there is gonna be an all-stars season coming up? S32 maybe.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Fast Luck posted:

Anyone hear the story that there is gonna be an all-stars season coming up? S32 maybe.

I want that all-winners season that's been teased. So badly.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, I believe it. It makes sense. They wanted to build up enough of a potential lineup before doing another one, but I think now that's probably been accomplished, even if nobody from season 31 sticks out. Hell, it seems entirely probable there might be four returnees from Cagayan. Really hoping there's nobody there who's played more than once before, so the playing field is somewhat more even.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poque posted:

That'd be awesome. It's really help sort out whether some of the winners really deserved it, like Vecepia, Natalie, Amber, and Bob who all more or less coasted to the finale.

Looking at the list, I doubt that they'd get Todd back due to his crippling alcoholism, which is unfortunate.

I keep forgetting that Tyson won. I've watched every season except for Guatemala, and I just can't picture his win in my head at all.

I'd love to see Parvati again, but I am so tired of Rob Mariano.

I doubt that they'd get Yul.

And I really don't remember Kim Spradlin, Danni Boatwright, or Denise Stapley. But, I guess that's what happens after thirty seasons, and 442 contestants. Even some of the winners are bound to be lost to history.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

And I really don't remember Kim Spradlin, Danni Boatwright, or Denise Stapley. But, I guess that's what happens after thirty seasons, and 442 contestants. Even some of the winners are bound to be lost to history.

Don't know who Danni is, but Kim Spradlin is the Wedding Dress shop owner who was easily the best player on a season full of absolute airheads (One World).

Denise was the awesome buff sex therapist chick from Phillipines. A pretty savvy player and deserved winner who buddied up with Malcolm to run the game.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

xcore posted:

Don't know who Danni is, but Kim Spradlin is the Wedding Dress shop owner who was easily the best player on a season full of absolute airheads (One World).

Denise was the awesome buff sex therapist chick from Phillipines. A pretty savvy player and deserved winner who buddied up with Malcolm to run the game.

Danni Boatwright won Survivor: Guatamala. I haven't watched that one recently but all I really remember her doing is calling out Gary Hogeboom (a former NFL player) who was trying to keep his identity a secret. I actually got to meet her a few years back (she came to the eye doctor that I worked for) and I had a minor nerd out and really wanted to talk Survivor. I ended up pretending I didn't know who she was. I thought Danni played a great game and she destroyed Stephanie in the final tribal council 6 - 1

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Poque posted:

If they don't vote out Sandra immediately then I'm going to stop watching Survivor entirely.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Juanito posted:

It really is awesome seeing a show where the challenges were actually punishing. Everything else is so lightweight compared to Solitary.

It somehow manages to make Survivor seem like a fun camping trip in comparison. Can't even get mad at the people who lose it and have to quit.

edit: ^^^ Sandra would win.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I think an all-winners season is still a ways off, but will happen if they can coordinate it with everyone's schedules. It'd be fascinating, but it might be deeply influenced by everyone's prior interactions.

Predicted lineup:
Boston Rob
Tony
Yul
JT
Tom
Cochran if they can get him/Aras
Earl
Hatch if they can get him/Tyson/male winner of 30/31/32

Denise
Kim
Sandra
Natalie A.
Parvati
Danni
Jenna
Sophie/Natalie W./a female winner of 30/31/32?

will not be in it: Fabio, Vecepia, Bob, Tina, Brian, Amber, Todd, Chris

a couple years ago would have been too early for it, but it's almost doable now. I'm hoping for at least one more great female winner before, though.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think I would rather see another Heroes vs. Villains than All-Winners at this point, although that might just be me wanting to find a way to see human beings forced to live with both Abi Maria and Kass at the same time

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Winners versus Snakes would be fun. All-star seasons run the risk of being dominated by existing friendships and it's good to have people like Chaos Kass rather than dead weight.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm holding out for Survivor: Kass vs Baylor.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Sandra would win a third time and it would be hilarious.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The greatest picture in all of survivor.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

xbilkis posted:

I think I would rather see another Heroes vs. Villains than All-Winners at this point, although that might just be me wanting to find a way to see human beings forced to live with both Abi Maria and Kass at the same time

I'm not sure why I still listen to RHAP, but I was truly surprised by how much I liked Kass. She could easily be a funnygoat who somehow doesn't suck the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Asiina posted:

The greatest picture in all of survivor.

This guy knows what's up.

• Locked thread