Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

That wouldn't help his case imo.

You're supposed to be on my side!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm a loner, Rhyno. A rebel.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

EDIT : Nevermind, I think i'm in the wrong thread for this. Sorry!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

khy posted:

There was a comic I heard of a while back, I thought it sounded interesting but never followed up on it. Now i'm curious about it but can't remember it.

IIRC it's about a town where when someone dies they come back to life, so the government has basically quarantined the place. The main character is a girl who died and came back and I guess maybe she has some kind of super strength or just resilience or something?

I know that isn't much to go on but it's a fairly recent comic, as in within the last year to year and a half.

Revival from Image. It's a good book. I've enjoyed it since the beginning. There's only 28 issues so far.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Deadpool posted:

Revival from Image. It's a good book. I've enjoyed it since the beginning. There's only 28 issues so far.

Seconding this. You can grab the first 24 issues in those nice hardcovers that Image does for fairly cheap.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Image/REVIVAL-DLX-COLL-HC-VOL-01-%28MR%29/AUG130635

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Image/REVIVAL-DLX-COLL-HC-VOL-02-%28MR%29/SEP140649

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Okay I stopped into a comic shop for the first time in years the other day and I'm at once enticed and extremely confused. For what it's worth my point of dropping-off was the last issue of Infinity, the one where Thanos' son seals him in amber and the jobber aliens do the job. What I recall 616 being is the Avengers dealing with Starbrand, Nightmask, Ex Nihilo and the shade lady thing, the Illuminati discovering the Incursion problem (got through about 6 issues of no decisions being made), Thor had just killed the God Butcher and Spider-Man was still Doc Ock (I think).

I also remember something vague in one of the side-books about Red Skull stealing Professor X's brain and the Children of Apocalypse appearing for .. something to do with Kang? That's my frame of reference. That being said, I've got a heap of questions I can't find easy answers to:

1. So AXIS is this year's Big Crossover Thing, right? And all the heroes are villains and all the villains are heroes because something something Red Skull? Is this an alternate universe or is this actually happening, and if it is happening how are the regular books dealing with that craziness?

2. Thor's a girl now, and it's not Thor-Girl? What happened to the heavy-metal-esque team behind the two God-Butcher arcs? I thought they were setting up a big huge thing with the 3 ages of Thor thing? Has that already been played out or has the team been shitcanned for some reason?

3. I saw a Squirrel-Girl book, is that ongoing or just a pleasant surprise?

4. Avengers was leaving me a bit cold when I left it. It wasn't bad, but I didn't care at all about the new faceless alien threat that Infinity sorted out, and the newuniversal world, with Starbrand, Nightmask, Black Swan and the incredibly, incredibly long, slow, grim build didn't feel like a good fit in 616 to me. I've completely lost track of where the Avengers are at now but someone said they're still dealing with the overall arc started in Marvel Now with the Bleed being destroyed (or whatever) and the Incursions and something about Thor and Hyperion being chucked to the other end of space? Is that still going on? Has it improved at all?

5. Did Gillen ever get to finish up his time on Young Avengers? I never felt like that book was going to last forever (that Mother monster felt like a real backwards step and not at all what I thought a guy like Gillen'd go with) and sure enough I don't see it on the shelf right now.

6. Is Hawkeye still Aja and Fraction and is it still worth reading?

7. Is the big 616/Ultimates mash-up happening during AXIS?

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 11, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Okay I stopped into a comic shop for the first time in years the other day and I'm at once enticed and extremely confused. For what it's worth my point of dropping-off was the last issue of Infinity, the one where Thanos' son seals him in amber and the jobber aliens do the job. What I recall 616 being is the Avengers dealing with Starbrand, Nightmask, Ex Nihilo and the shade lady thing, the Illuminati discovering the Incursion problem (got through about 6 issues of no decisions being made), Thor had just killed the God Butcher and Spider-Man was still Doc Ock (I think).

I also remember something vague in one of the side-books about Red Skull stealing Professor X's brain and the Children of Apocalypse appearing for .. something to do with Kang? That's my frame of reference. That being said, I've got a heap of questions I can't find easy answers to:

1. So AXIS is this year's Big Crossover Thing, right? And all the heroes are villains and all the villains are heroes because something something Red Skull? Is this an alternate universe or is this actually happening, and if it is happening how are the regular books dealing with that craziness?

2. Thor's a girl now, and it's not Thor-Girl? What happened to the heavy-metal-esque team behind the two God-Butcher arcs? I thought they were setting up a big huge thing with the 3 ages of Thor thing? Has that already been played out or has the team been shitcanned for some reason?

4. Avengers was leaving me a bit cold when I left it. It wasn't bad, but I didn't care at all about the new faceless alien threat that Infinity sorted out, and the newuniversal world, with Starbrand, Nightmask, Black Swan and the incredibly, incredibly long, slow, grim build didn't feel like a good fit in 616 to me. I've completely lost track of where the Avengers are at now but someone said they're still dealing with the overall arc started in Marvel Now with the Bleed being destroyed (or whatever) and the Incursions and something about Thor and Hyperion being chucked to the other end of space? Is that still going on? Has it improved at all?

5. Did Gillen ever get to finish up his time on Young Avengers? I never felt like that book was going to last forever (that Mother monster felt like a real backwards step and not at all what I thought a guy like Gillen'd go with) and sure enough I don't see it on the shelf right now.

1. It did happen in 616, but most of the affected characters got cured. Pretty much only Iron Man stayed flipped. We're now building to Secret Wars, which is pretty much what Hickman's been leading up to since at least Fantastic Four.
2. Still Aaron. There still seems to be bits and pieces of the ages of Thor thing, as King Thor was in the recent Annual.
3. Ongoing until sales dictate otherwise, and it's very good.
5. They did a 'season finale' issue and wrapped it up.
6. Yes/No. All-New Hawkeye just launched, with Lemire and Perez, but the final issue of the Fraction/Aja run hasn't actually come out.
7. Pretty much the only thing we know for sure about Secret Wars is that the Ultimate U is done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a lot of Avengers and New Avengers issues since the last thing you read and it ends in a couple of months so things are really ramping up now.

Apparently tomorrow's issue reveals who the big bad is finally.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nilbop posted:

1- Axis was last year.

2- Same person writing it. He already wrapped up a lot of those stories.

3- Ongoing until it's not.

4- All of that is still going on and leads directly in Secret Wars

5- I dunno I stopped reading it because it was crappy.

6- One issue left. Jeff Lemire and Ramon Perez have already started a new volume because Aja is taking so long to do the last issues. It's great.

7- Secret Wars. There's a thread on it. You'll find what you need to know there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Deadpool posted:

We gotta go outside and throw hands now :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Gillen/McKelvie/Norton/Wilson et al Young Avengers was great. They did 15 issues and wrapped up what they wanted to say with it. It was a really nice self-contained series.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have been reading the new marvel star wars comics (Darth Vader, Princess Leia and Star Wars). How can I find if these are going to have issues coming out for the foreseeable future or will only have a certain number of issues before they end?

Also, where is the thread to discuss them (if there is one)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really know if there's a consolidated spot to find out when things are coming out, the weekly shipping thread lists everything for that week, so check there weekly, I guess? Alternatively, check the solicits for each month which generally come out four months ahead (Marvel's June ones don't appear to be out yet). If you're reading digitally, you can just set up subscriptions for those titles on Comixology. Of those three, Star Wars and Darth Vader are ongoings, while Princess Leia is a 5 issue miniseries.

There's no thread to talk about them other than the licensed comic thread,, I suppose but feel free to make one!

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I have an opportunity to combine my interest in comics with an assignment for my Spanish class since we're allowed some freedom for the topic of a paper we have to write. I'm looking for some (preferably Spanish-language) comics on the subject of Hispanic culture and history, but I'm not very familiar with the Latin American comics industry, so which books should I look into?

I've got Redrawing the Nation already and plan on reading Gilbert Hernandez's Palomar part of Love & Rockets. I'm also aware of the Mafalda comic strip and looked at some collections for it on Amazon, but have no clue where to really start there. Is anyone familiar with that and could they help me get oriented? Should I ask about that in the comic strip thread? What else should I be reading? Are Jaime's Locas stories also worth reading (as part of preparing for this assignment, not in general; I already know the answer to that question)? I'm not strictly confined to Latin America, so any Spanish comics or books from other parts of the world are also welcome recommendations. Bonus points for books that touch upon the political and historical themes of the twentieth century that concern Spanish-speaking countries.

I should also mention that titles available with digital editions or from Amazon with prime shipping would be preferred in order to make the process of hunting down and acquiring these comics easier.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 17, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Are Jaime's Locas stories also worth reading (as part of preparing for this assignment, not in general; I already know the answer to that question)?

I love love love Xamie's Locas work and Gilbert's art really puts me off. That said, Locas focuses more on young punk rock kids in SoCal more than Hispanic culture (though that's in there, too). I think Gilbert's work would probably be a better fit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

1- Axis was last year.

2- Same person writing it. He already wrapped up a lot of those stories.

3- Ongoing until it's not.

4- All of that is still going on and leads directly in Secret Wars

6- One issue left. Jeff Lemire and Ramon Perez have already started a new volume because Aja is taking so long to do the last issues. It's great.

7- Secret Wars. There's a thread on it. You'll find what you need to know there.

Thank you because I felt like I was the only person who disliked Young Avengers in the world.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Thank you because I felt like I was the only person who disliked Young Avengers in the world.

I thought it was okay, but I didn't like Hickman's Avengers either.

Until I started re reading them yesterday. Halfway through Infinity now, it's much better reading in arcs than monthly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This question may be a bit specific, unless there's someone with 90's comic coloring and printing experience, but I was just reading the Doom Patrol Omnibus and noticed this

with the color dipping into the black, making it darker and maybe glossier (It seems to blend in more when not angled to a light.)
Are those the colorist's strokes? If they are, I like seeing the process in it, but I can't see any other pages with bleed over like that, so I assume it's a mistake that we can see them.
What would've happened?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 17, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I think that might be in part due to the ink bleed that happens on newsprint.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

This question may be a bit specific, unless there's someone with 90's comic coloring and printing experience, but I was just reading the Doom Patrol Omnibus and noticed this

with the color dipping into the black, making it darker and maybe glossier (It seems to blend in more when not angled to a light.)
Are those the colorist's strokes? If they are, I like seeing the process in it, but I can't see any other pages with bleed over like that, so I assume it's a mistake that we can see them.
What would've happened?

I believe they do/did that in order to safeguard themselves in case the registration goes slightly off during printing. If you put a red blotch a little bigger than you need, it will still do the right thing shifted a bit to one side. I remember a lot of pictures of Tony Stark's hair with blue patches that made some of the black look different.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm not a close watcher of DC, but I realized earlier (because it was mentioned in another thread) that Wonder Woman can fly. Has she always been able to do that?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I'm not a close watcher of DC, but I realized earlier (because it was mentioned in another thread) that Wonder Woman can fly. Has she always been able to do that?

I copied this from The Internet!:

some seemingly informed chap posted:

In the Golden Age (from the early forties to the late fifties/early sixties), the character couldn't fly at all.

In the Silver Age (late fifties/early sixties to the early eighties), Diana gained the ability to glide on air currents starting in Wonder Woman (vol 1) issue #98, May 1958.

Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths (in 1985), Wonder Woman's origin has been rebooted, and she could fly freely from the start. Hippolyta made a baby out of clay and the goddesses (plus Hermes, for some reason) granted Diana beauty, power, strength, speed and flight.

In 2011, DC Comics' entire line of publications was relaunched, and Wonder Woman's origins have been rebooted again. This time she was a demigoddess, daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus, and could fly naturally.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

I copied this from The Internet!:

I guess I need to improve my Googling skills. Thanks. :blush:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Heck, even Superman couldn't fly originally. Just jump real high. :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There's an explanation I read once, and I don't know if it was a writer trying something out that nobody decided to pick up and run with or just fanwank, but I really liked it. Diana's empowered by the gods with strength and speed and so on, but those are really nebulous concepts, and when it comes to gods, belief tends to matter. So you can explain her steady uptick in powers and strength because the public perception of "really strong" and "really fast" and "is a superhero" have shifted over the years; when Diana starts out, people think weightlifters are really strong and a car going 30 mph is pretty fuckin' fast, so she's around there, power-wise. But then superheroes come along, especially Superman, and they start moving the bar upwards. Superman can punch through a tank, and jet planes are fast? Diana's there. Superman can lift tons, and fly, and Flash is fast? Now Diana's there.

I think it's a pretty neat explanation for why her powers seem to be set right at "Superman, but a girl". Superman's what everyone thinks of when they think of a superhero, and it molds her.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

There's an explanation I read once, and I don't know if it was a writer trying something out that nobody decided to pick up and run with or just fanwank, but I really liked it. Diana's empowered by the gods with strength and speed and so on, but those are really nebulous concepts, and when it comes to gods, belief tends to matter. So you can explain her steady uptick in powers and strength because the public perception of "really strong" and "really fast" and "is a superhero" have shifted over the years; when Diana starts out, people think weightlifters are really strong and a car going 30 mph is pretty fuckin' fast, so she's around there, power-wise. But then superheroes come along, especially Superman, and they start moving the bar upwards. Superman can punch through a tank, and jet planes are fast? Diana's there. Superman can lift tons, and fly, and Flash is fast? Now Diana's there.

I think it's a pretty neat explanation for why her powers seem to be set right at "Superman, but a girl". Superman's what everyone thinks of when they think of a superhero, and it molds her.

That is a pretty good explanation.

I remember reading a review of the DC-based pen-and-paper RPG that said she could throw Mount Everest some number of yards. (They had an exponential statistics system.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That sure sounds like fanwank.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeahhhhh, that just sounds like someone trying to find an in-universe reason for power creep.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I have an opportunity to combine my interest in comics with an assignment for my Spanish class since we're allowed some freedom for the topic of a paper we have to write. I'm looking for some (preferably Spanish-language) comics on the subject of Hispanic culture and history, but I'm not very familiar with the Latin American comics industry, so which books should I look into?

I've got Redrawing the Nation already and plan on reading Gilbert Hernandez's Palomar part of Love & Rockets. I'm also aware of the Mafalda comic strip and looked at some collections for it on Amazon, but have no clue where to really start there. Is anyone familiar with that and could they help me get oriented? Should I ask about that in the comic strip thread? What else should I be reading? Are Jaime's Locas stories also worth reading (as part of preparing for this assignment, not in general; I already know the answer to that question)? I'm not strictly confined to Latin America, so any Spanish comics or books from other parts of the world are also welcome recommendations. Bonus points for books that touch upon the political and historical themes of the twentieth century that concern Spanish-speaking countries.

I should also mention that titles available with digital editions or from Amazon with prime shipping would be preferred in order to make the process of hunting down and acquiring these comics easier.

I did a comprehensive Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez thread about a year ago. I'm trying to find it right now but I don't have search.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I did a comprehensive Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez thread about a year ago. I'm trying to find it right now but I don't have search.
I was bored. link

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Teenage Fansub posted:

What would've happened?

Looks like a CMYK thing where the blacks weren't registered properly as 'true black' (which would have been a bitch and a half in the pre-digital age), but it could be an artifact of bleed like prefect mentions.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Uthor posted:

I love love love Xamie's Locas work and Gilbert's art really puts me off. That said, Locas focuses more on young punk rock kids in SoCal more than Hispanic culture (though that's in there, too). I think Gilbert's work would probably be a better fit.
Yeah, that's what I thought initially, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I remembered that someone had made a thread previously, but cursory searching left me with the conclusion that it had fallen into the archives, which appears to be the case. Thanks for the help, guys!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Is there anything critical reading wise between Avengers 33 to 35. It says 8 months later and should it just be treated as 8 months of what was going on?

I probably phrased this poorly, really glad I decided to reread this stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hadji murad posted:

Is there anything critical reading wise between Avengers 33 to 35. It says 8 months later and should it just be treated as 8 months of what was going on?

There's just a time jump in the comic. I don't think it's necessary to read anything not written by Hickman to follow the story, though Original Sin helps a little (it explains why Thor is now Odinson and is the catalyst for Cap realizing what was done to him).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Avengers World features stories to fill the gap, but I sure haven't been reading it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think Avengers World features stories to fill the gap, but I sure haven't been reading it.

I was going to mention that, but didn't for the reason you brought up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hadji murad posted:

What is supposed to happen is that Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers jump ahead in time and then every other book would eventually catch up to that point after 8 in real life months. I haven't been reading a bunch of other Marvel stuff so I couldn't tell you if this was actually working out or if its turning into OYL 2.0.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks guys. With all the bingeing I've done on this my only regret is that I'll have to wait a short time to get to the conclusion I'm really excited about now. Can't wait. There's so much going forward I don't worry about every little detail like I did trying to follow monthly.

Also, yeah not much to Avengers World although it's been better recently.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

I don't know what you've read/not read, but there is 34.1 and 34.2, which are standalone, non-Hickman penned issues about Hyperion and Starbrand, respectively. The Hyperion one is very good, the Starbrand one is not so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This isn't really a factual wiki style question, but more of an opinion one. How many of you guys remember Comico from the 80s?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comico
(warning D-class article)

I remember being obsessed with the Next Man (McKenzie/Argondezzi) comic series, because Comico's distribution was so bad I could only get 3 out of the 5 issues and had no idea what had happened in between. My brother bought Grendel and Mage but I thought they were lame as a kid. I didn't know what a mary sue was at that time but that's what Grendel felt like to me, though maybe I was wrong since Wagner has a pretty good reputation and I haven't read them since.

Comico also had Willingham, Hempel, Rude, Baron, and Steve Fuckin Purcell of Sam and Max fame. Am I just old or does anyone else remember these?