Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kiggles posted:

You already played on a Wii, right, so does this mean the controls are sketchy in Dolphin? I ask because I never had troubles with the controls, and it was a big obnoxious argument when the game came out; some people could just never seem to "get" the controls while others had no issues. The only people who ever seemed to resolve the problem were those with obvious wireless interference issues. If it's just Dolphin, bummer. I'm hoping to eventually get all of these wire peripherals hooked up to the PC and replaying Skyward Sword, it would be frustrating if going to the trouble ends up being mostly a waste of time.

the motion controls, even when working correctly, get extremely tiring after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ironically one of my favorite implementions of motion controls is on Metroid: Other M. Very clean, very simple, very functional. Shame about the rest of the game though. The whole time I was thinking "at least the controls are really good"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ironically one of my favorite implementions of motion controls is on Metroid: Other M. Very clean, very simple, very functional. Shame about the rest of the game though. The whole time I was thinking "at least the controls are really good"

:confused: But they really weren't. Then again, you're looking at Other M, so a minor flaw looks like a good thing by contrast.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Other M had motion controls?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You play with the Wiimote in the default position, and if you ever want to go into First Person mode you just point the Wiimote at the screen and it does it seamlessly. I thought it was really slick. Also the whole game only required a handful of buttons, I appreciated the efficiency of it all. What I didn't appreciate was a ten minute cutscene about the significance of that time Samus thumbs-downed a song on Pandora Radio.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Suspicious Dish posted:

Other M had motion controls?

To go into first person mode you had to stop what you were doing and aim the wiimote towards the screen because heavens forbid allowing a wiimote+nunchuck option.

They were bad.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You could point at the TV to go into a pointer controlled first person view and there was some mechanic controlled by shaking the wiimote.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
ah, right, IR pointy thingy. i usually only think of waggle for motion controls.

they're two entirely separate mechanisms.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You play with the Wiimote in the default position, and if you ever want to go into First Person mode you just point the Wiimote at the screen and it does it seamlessly. I thought it was really slick.

Except actually shooting a missile quickly took forever because the game has to transition to first person and then you have to line up your shot, so when you start fighting enemies that require you to use missiles but only show their weak point for a few seconds it becomes immediately infuriating.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is there any way to rip music from a Wii disk without the use of an external hard drive? I have this shovelware Wii game called Counter Force that actually owns because it's a Naomi based ripoff of Space Harrier and StarFox. But due to its weird history (the arcade release never happened and it was dumped onto the PS2/Wii years later, and then android/ios more recently) no soundtrack was officially released.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You can poke around and extract files from the ISO somewhere in the menus of Dolphin. Assuming you find the music in some compatible format, you can then use vgmstream to rip it.

Or just grab an existing rip: https://mega.co.nz/#!QgQwTKpD!rOnSJ74LtY37MO8RKfeWZfGi-Xptj6DKh5ZKOqBVr14

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I can't reccomend getting a mayflash dolphinbar enough if anyone's curious about it. I got one the other day and it takes like 2 minutes to set up and use, and it works perfectly! The only problem is that the wiimote speaker produces garbage, and you can't seem to output the speaker data through your headphones/speakers if you're using a real controller.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hace posted:

I can't reccomend getting a mayflash dolphinbar enough if anyone's curious about it. I got one the other day and it takes like 2 minutes to set up and use, and it works perfectly! The only problem is that the wiimote speaker produces garbage, and you can't seem to output the speaker data through your headphones/speakers if you're using a real controller.

I never could get my cheap USB sensor bar + BT adapter working perfectly, so I'll pick up one of the mayflash.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I literally just received mine in the mail today, so I'm excited to test this baby out when I get home.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Crappy Jack posted:

I literally just received mine in the mail today, so I'm excited to test this baby out when I get home.

It does have a few quirks though, so like if it's not picking up the IR, either go into the controller menu and hit refresh, or double tap alt+f5 to reconnect it.

Also with wiimotion plus games, you'll sometimes have to unplug nunchuck and plus dongle, then reattach them to get it to work.

Also also the latest firmware is here which you'll probably want: http://www.mayflash.com/support/download/

To actually update it, you have to unplug it, hold down the sync button, then plug it back in. (the instructions on the actual site are messed up)

Hace fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 20, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Awesome, thank you! :)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Hace posted:

The only problem is that the wiimote speaker produces garbage,

Eh, I get the same issue with my plain old cheapass bluetooth adapter. I'll definitely have to look into getting one of those things, it'll be better than the bare LEDs I wired up to power off a usb port.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
the wiimote speaker emitted garbage on a real wii, too

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Suspicious Dish posted:

:v:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

it's even worse

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Has anyone had any experience with using the Official and Mayflash GameCube adaptors on PC and with Dolphin? I'm thinking of purchasing one of them to use for Dolphin's native mode as well as other emulators, but apparently there's some compatibility issues in doing so. Is there a solution out there that doesn't involving messing with the drivers every time you want to switch uses?

Additionally, could you run the adaptor, possibly the Mayflash one, with just one USB plugged in on PC? I have never seen any other device which needs two USB ports and I'm wondering if anyone's figured out a workaround for this stupid design.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I have the official one and the latest versions of Dolphin can recognize them without any fancy driver stuff, I think. I don't remember installing any drivers, at least. The Mayflash one supposedly works as well and has a PC mode. The second USB plug is so the adapter can have enough power to power the rumble on GC controllers, so you can just play with one plug in if you don't care for rumble.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Mush Man posted:

Has anyone had any experience with using the Official and Mayflash GameCube adaptors on PC and with Dolphin? I'm thinking of purchasing one of them to use for Dolphin's native mode as well as other emulators, but apparently there's some compatibility issues in doing so. Is there a solution out there that doesn't involving messing with the drivers every time you want to switch uses?

Additionally, could you run the adaptor, possibly the Mayflash one, with just one USB plugged in on PC? I have never seen any other device which needs two USB ports and I'm wondering if anyone's figured out a workaround for this stupid design.

The second USB plug is only for rumble. I don't even know if Dolphin supports it and I never plugged it in myself.

If you get the Mayflash adapter, there's a switch for Wii U/PC. Use the former for Dolphin, and the later for other PC games. There's no other workaround for the official adapter AFAIK. Buy Mayflash.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mush Man posted:

As others have said, the 2nd USB is just for rumble. But just FYI, the official Nintendo adapter uses 2 USB as well, it's not just a dumb decision on Mayflash's part.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I needed to find out. I'll pick up the Mayflash. I knew the 2 USB thing is a Nintendo decision, but I haven't heard about the extra one being for rumble, so thanks for that too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new progress report is up. The focus is on GBA connectivity, using VisualBoyAdvance-M, which means you can finally have that Pac-Man Vs. LAN party you've been planning for years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man, I knew something was wrong with the audio since they took away the threading option.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I have to say, Dolphin is pretty nice, and not as jankey as N64 emulation. Playing Metroid Prime in 1080p and with an Xbox 360 controller is an interesting experience, even if the game randomly slows down and causes audio stuttering and there's the occasional graphical glitch. Anyway of fixing that? I have a fairly beefy PC which has an intel i5 3470 and a Geforce GTX 970, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. Regardless I think this a nice alternative to dragging the Gamecube out of storage and hunting down discs.

I also ordered the Mayflash Gamecube adapter for Smash Wii U and also can't wait to try it on Dolphin as well. Playing Nintendo games with a 360 controller does feel a little sacrilegious, but hey, that's what so great about PC gaming, the ability to customize and choose, and sometimes kludge things together.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Starhawk64 posted:

I have to say, Dolphin is pretty nice, and not as jankey as N64 emulation. Playing Metroid Prime in 1080p and with an Xbox 360 controller is an interesting experience, even if the game randomly slows down and causes audio stuttering and there's the occasional graphical glitch. Anyway of fixing that? I have a fairly beefy PC which has an intel i5 3470 and a Geforce GTX 970, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. Regardless I think this a nice alternative to dragging the Gamecube out of storage and hunting down discs.

I also ordered the Mayflash Gamecube adapter for Smash Wii U and also can't wait to try it on Dolphin as well. Playing Nintendo games with a 360 controller does feel a little sacrilegious, but hey, that's what so great about PC gaming, the ability to customize and choose, and sometimes kludge things together.

Make sure you're using the latest dev revision and that you're using OpenGL, and also make sure that you change dolphin's power usage from adaptive to maximum in nvidia control panel

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Finally, after 12 years of this game taunting me, I can finally unlock those damned AX Racers in F-Zero GX thanks to Dolphin's built AR code feature. gently caress F-Zero GX's story mode forever. Seeing a full roster in this game is a beautiful sight. My revenge on this game is complete. It's obvious they made Story Mode so impossibly difficult so they can get people to play the arcade version, which is basically nonexistent here in North America.

And to be honest? Most of the AX racers suck. gently caress you Sega, may your developers suffer in the pits of Fire Field for all eternity, you're probably the reason why Nintendo isn't considering a Wii U sequel.

I still think this game is good but holy gently caress it's hard.

Not really to be honest. There's no way I could unlock the stuff locked behind Story Mode's harder difficulty modes. I'm good, but not good enough for Story Mode, and honestly I just don't have the time and patience for uber difficult games anymore. So meh, I can always play my real copy if I really want to go through all that trouble, though honestly the game is over a decade old and I don't feel like putting that much effort into something that outdated. It also reminds me how much of pain in the rear end it was to unlock everything in Smash Bros Melee the legit way, not really worth the effort on an emulator.
v

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 5, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, I mean, sure, anyone can just cheat to get 100%. You may have gotten your revenge on the game, but the game knows the truth. The game knows about that little voice in the back of your mind that says "Well I didn't really beat it..." It was the game that put it there.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Starhawk64 posted:

I dunno, seems pretty easy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhczLwJ3IY&t=11m15s

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Maybe if you're an obessive speedrunner whose idea of fun is restarting the same section over and over again for hours on end just to shave a second off your time. That is an impressive video though.

Here's a rather famous video as a counterpoint (warning NSFW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLwM3nyY5g

But seriously, gently caress this game's difficulty. Normally I am against cheating unless it's to recover lost progress due to something like a corrupted save but for this game I think it's totally justified. Especially when the content locked behind Story Mode isn't even better as what can be easily unlocked in the Grand Prix mode. Most of the AX racers have poor stats and while the custom parts look nicer, you can easily build the best performing custom machine just from Grand Prix unlockables alone. Oh, and did I mention that there's Japan exclusive stuff that inaccessible to a North American gamer? This game is just begging to have an Action Replay disc shoved up its rear end. I actually tried to hunt down such a disc but didn't have any luck.

But guess what? Dolphin has Action Replay built in! Finally I could bypass the bullshit and play with the content that otherwise barring somehow finding a rare 10 year old arcade game, or suddenly gaining godlike skills to overcome an impossibly difficult game mode that wouldn't fly in a more recent Nintendo game, would never be able to touch. Emulators I find makes it alot easier to just screw around and mess with games. Not all of us have God-Tier gaming skills.

I'm going to stop ranting about this game because it's opening old wounds. Story Mode broke me and made me swear off uber difficult games forever. I don't mind a challenging game, but when it veers into unfair bullshit, I have a problem. I do both love and hate this game, and it pisses me off to no end.

So um.......how about that Dolphin emulator, pretty cool am I right? :v:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 5, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

Story Mode broke me and made me swear off uber difficult games forever. I don't mind a challenging game, but when it veers into unfair bullshit, I have a problem. I do both love and hate this game, and it pisses me off to no end.

You are the reason mainstream games nowadays range from baby-easy to easy. It's you.

But you're right, the game being difficult on settings called "hard" and "very hard" is probably why Mario Kart 8's DLC is probably the closest we'll ever get to a new F-Zero.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Geemer posted:

You are the reason mainstream games nowadays range from baby-easy to easy. It's you.

But you're right, the game being difficult on settings called "hard" and "very hard" is probably why Mario Kart 8's DLC is probably the closest we'll ever get to a new F-Zero.

There's a game coming out on PC that is a lot like F Zero, but I can't remember the name of it. There's also Distance which shares a few similarities but isn't really the same.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 5, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Starhawk64 posted:

Finally, after 12 years of this game taunting me, I can finally unlock those damned AX Racers in F-Zero GX thanks to Dolphin's built AR code feature. gently caress F-Zero GX's story mode forever. Seeing a full roster in this game is a beautiful sight. My revenge on this game is complete. It's obvious they made Story Mode so impossibly difficult so they can get people to play the arcade version, which is basically nonexistent here in North America.

And to be honest? Most of the AX racers suck. gently caress you Sega, may your developers suffer in the pits of Fire Field for all eternity, you're probably the reason why Nintendo isn't considering a Wii U sequel.

Not really to be honest. There's no way I could unlock the stuff locked behind Story Mode's harder difficulty modes. I'm good, but not good enough for Story Mode, and honestly I just don't have the time and patience for uber difficult games anymore. So meh, I can always play my real copy if I really want to go through all that trouble, though honestly the game is over a decade old and I don't feel like putting that much effort into something that outdated. It also reminds me how much of pain in the rear end it was to unlock everything in Smash Bros Melee the legit way, not really worth the effort on an emulator.
v

gently caress that noise, you frankenfaced fuckfurter.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've got the Mayflash 4-port GC Adapter for Wii-U/PC, and I'd like to use it with Dolphin. It seems to work fine in Windows, but Dolphin x64 doesn't seem to pick up the analog sticks. Any ideas?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Looks like one of the Dolphin Devs RachelB committed suicide the other day. :(

She was one of the newer but more active devs in doing a lot of the code cleanup and mundane tasks no one else liked to do.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yep. It was a big shock to a lot of us. She had apparently been battling with depression for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
That's terrible :(

• Locked thread