Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

i think all fast cards are huge, though nvidia cards post 600-series haven't been too loud. the gtx750 are the current short/single-slot/htpc nvidia card of choice, should be a couple steps up performance wise from the 7750

I was able to find exactly one card that fit with this, a Zotac low profile. Finally have 3d; also it formats the desktop slightly better, and the nvidia-settings is really nice, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

also yeah the belligerent push to cram systemd and dbus everywhere actually makes poo poo automatable, before that you had crappy stringbashing scripts trying to poorly mechanise the job of a system operator using vi and there were no standards or consistency anywhere. introspection of the system? forget it. you had to have a god daemon that owned the entire system's configuration text file directory structure if you wanted to rely on any knowledge of the system and obviously that's just horrible design so nobody really succeeded at that. systemd was a huge win.

systemd is a long, long way from enterprise adoption. right now, today, poo poo gets automated successfully, without systemd.

a major part of it is augeas. a tool and a library that understands every god drat stupid wrinkly config file format. instead of string bashing, you can treat every config file as a key/value tree and not worry about e.g. inserting a single value into /etc/hosts

puppet uses augeas directly, it's a hard dep

good chef recipes use augeas sometimes

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah steam was complaining that it didn't have direct rendering, I had to delete a couple of its local libraries and install the fedora versions. what kind of graphics card are you using? mine's an nvidia

the mouse problem might be a logitech thing, it seems to have been around a while too. I have to change the device properties with xinput but then it's fine.

I tried updating the system with the gui software updater, but somehow it didn't acknowledge the updates were applied, and kept telling me to update but then giving an error that the packages were already installed. running a yum update fixed it though. nice OS you got here :shrug:

Also, i just reminded that the first update after installing i had to do it via cli as the gui wouldn't work but all other updates the gui works fine or they just get installed automatically without me noticing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

systemd is a long, long way from enterprise adoption. right now, today, poo poo gets automated successfully, without systemd.

a major part of it is augeas. a tool and a library that understands every god drat stupid wrinkly config file format. instead of string bashing, you can treat every config file as a key/value tree and not worry about e.g. inserting a single value into /etc/hosts

puppet uses augeas directly, it's a hard dep

good chef recipes use augeas sometimes

nobody uses puppet on desktops tho

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
And who do you think wrote augeas? It's the server experience team, the same team that Lennart, Kay, David, Colin and Harald are on.

Augeas was also the first attempt to preserve comments, which is just so broken and hard to do correctly.

The point of this is to make Linux more understandable and maintainable to others.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

if you really want to linux hard then arch is for you

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
mclasen pls release teh gnome 3.16

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

nobody uses puppet on desktops tho

you really should use puppet on desktops

it makes new developer workstation setup really easy. imagine showing up at a new job and doing productive work on your first day without spending hours digging through outdated wiki poo poo

edit: puppet/chef are what windows GPOs always should have been

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 17, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

And who do you think wrote augeas? It's the server experience team, the same team that Lennart, Kay, David, Colin and Harald are on.

Augeas was also the first attempt to preserve comments, which is just so broken and hard to do correctly.

The point of this is to make Linux more understandable and maintainable to others.

yes and it owns

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it makes new developer workstation setup really easy. imagine showing up at a new job and doing productive work on your first day without spending hours digging through outdated wiki poo poo

do you have puppet scripts for getting MSVC and such installed? those would be interesting to me.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

do you have puppet scripts for getting MSVC and such installed? those would be interesting to me.

nope

this is the linux desktop thread. perhaps unsurprisingly, (given my post history) i am a linux desktop user

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nope

this is the linux desktop thread. perhaps unsurprisingly, (given my post history) i am a linux desktop user

yeah, it was the ref to GPOs that gave me a glimmer of hope

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pony up for a sccm license bitch

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
sccm owns

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 11, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
You are kidding arent you ?
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sassafras posted:

Yeah, like how in GNOME 3.14 some applications have titlebars on half their windows and compressed bullshit missing titlebars on others, and then other applications have only normal titlebars, and others have only compressed ones. Genius attention to detail!

(I gave GNOME 3 a 15 minute "does it suck less yet?" try yesterday, including flashback, before reverting to MATE.)

Yeah that sucks and is one if the things they (specifically suspicious dish) fixed in 3.16

Hidpi is a bit spotty in general in 3.14 (but still better than every other Linux desktop environment) and 3.16 improves a lot of it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

i use linux because it's fun to work on. i enjoy writing the code and poking into low-level systems poo poo. the application ecosystem is still poo poo and the community is trash and i don't honestly see any way of improving it

imo the community just has so many thoughts that are just incompatible with large-scale adoption, and it's hard to try to tell them that sometimes.

systemd is really succeeding in a way i never thought possible, by just blasting through convincing people it's a good idea by breaking down their misconceptions and showing a better way of doing things, and i think a lot of people hate it at first and then grow to really love it.

but linux, even down to the kernel, is just hardcoded not to be a desktop os in so many tiny ways that it's frustrating to deal with.

nobody who hates systemd has written an init script in it
holy gently caress is that ever nice

pram
Jun 10, 2001
after using coreos and systemd/fleet. init scripts are really disgusting. upstart is gross. death to sysv

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ahmeni posted:

nobody who hates systemd has written an init script in it
holy gently caress is that ever nice

a lot of cjs hate systemd because they think that making things easy puts their job security in jeopardy.

they can suck it because systemd actually standardizes things, fixes real problems and makes creating a service a matter of writing a 6 or 7 line text file vs some unreadable shell script mess.

pram posted:

init scripts are really disgusting. upstart is gross. death to sysv

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The problem with Systemd is it just can't be retconned into the cannon.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yeah give it a decade or so for the special cases to accumulate in the unit definition language until people wish they had a script lanugage again heh heh heh

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The problem with Systemd is it just can't be retconned into the cannon.

dont you mean canon

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

bobbilljim posted:

You are kidding arent you ?
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

:psyduck:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the reason CJs can get away with hating systemd is that nobody writes init scripts. linux distribution contributors write init scripts, for packages that are part of the distribution. practically none of their users do. everyone outside the linux distributors and ISVs has been using supervisord, monit, et al for years

the main thing systemd fixes isn't a pain point for most end users. it's an imposition with no obvious upside

that doesn't make systemd bad, or poorly designed, just unwanted

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
actually i'm writting init scripts pretty regularly at work because i have to deploy services that were built here, the process is the same as it is for makefiles which is to grab a "typical" script from the internet and tweak it to do the right thing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
grats on your poo poo job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

grats on your poo poo job

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
fedora provides a reference script that has worked for everything so far, init scripts don't need to be anywhere near as complicated as e.g. tomcat or sendmail's in practice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
init scripts are real bad. the only reason to write one is to make it easier for distributions to package your software

there's no excuse for doing it in-house for in-house deployment

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the reason we use init to manage our services is because it comes installed on centos 6 and we've heard of it, unlike those dumb redundant things you mentioned

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

the reason we use init to manage our services is because it comes installed on centos 6 and we've heard of it, unlike those dumb redundant things you mentioned

unlike those dumb useful things distributed with centos 6

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OH MY GOD

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if our target were centos 7 i'd use systemd, i'm not ideological but neither do i care for xzibit-oriented design

ps: mostly when i have to deploy an in-house service it's a jetty service that i would prefer to have built as a war and dropped into an open j2ee container but i lost that argument to the dev whose job it was to write the service, tell me about your job where everything always goes the way you want

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 18, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the reason CJs can get away with hating systemd is that nobody writes init scripts. linux distribution contributors write init scripts, for packages that are part of the distribution. practically none of their users do. everyone outside the linux distributors and ISVs has been using supervisord, monit, et al for years

All of our big enterprise clients regularly wrote init scripts. A few were transitioning over to other system monitoring tools, but a shocking majority used init scripts. Some even wrote Upstart jobs. They were happy that systemd could take over init, cron, at, and then other daemon monitoring tools, and that they were consistently logged in one location.

And that system daemons traditionally started by "init" or "service" could now be monitored without having to write a custom daemontools setup, which was supported out of the box.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr Dog posted:

i guess it depends on why you use linux. for me it's not directly about muh freedoms, more that proprietary software in practice is user-hostile and will poo poo on your face at every opportunity (hi would you like some Ask Jeeves malware? course you do, it makes us money!!). i'm willing to put up with a bit of occasional breakage if it means that my computer isn't actively trying to gently caress me over.

it's not just a windows thing either, coworkers use osx and any time there's some Adobe poo poo installed it does the same sort of thing.

i hear you can use a mac without actually installing adobe poo poo, u should give it a try mate

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

why does the lovely updater in fedora always insist on rebooting the whole machine, twice, to install any updates?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i mean if it was the kernel then sure it'd make sense to have an optional reboot step at the end but for everything else wtf

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
just yum update and forget that exists for updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

why does the lovely updater in fedora always insist on rebooting the whole machine, twice, to install any updates?

Updates cannot be applied to a live system safely. the traditional update is really stupid and dumb and bad and you can run into many race conditions (and do run into many race conditions) but most people put up with it. I can give specific examples if you want.

So we reboot, put your system in a special update mode, and then reboot again, and that's the only way to make it truly safe in the package manager land. Sandboxing apps will help with a lot of this so we can be more sure about OS updates.