Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I think the major problem people should have with the game's story is America didn't nuke the world after San Fransisco. Like come on, there's no way we'd just let that happen without MAD.

There's no way of knowing Americas nuclear capability in the HM universe. If Russia were able to invade Hawaii it implies they don''t have any nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Koburn posted:

There's no way of knowing Americas nuclear capability in the HM universe. If Russia were able to invade Hawaii it implies they don''t have any nukes.

So I'm taking it that like Russia won the Sino-Japanese war or something? Or that Japan didn't participate in WWII? Like come on, there's too much speculation and not enough explanation for something like this.

Why is America such a pussy in this game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Uhhhh that's pretty much exactly what happens though?

Problem is we don't see it, so it's only implied. But considering my previous grievance, I highly doubt that happens.

Yeah, that's my problem. So the US Didn't nuke Russia after San Fran, but they do after Miami? :confused: Whats the big difference there?

Or is it that Russia nukes the US but Russia gets to live on afterwards as the winners of the Cold War? But if the US didn't have nukes, why didn't they just invade us Red Dawn style to begin with??? Why the coalition? None of this adds up. :ussr:

I think having a level where you play as the commander and Assassinate the leaders Would have been REALLY good, both for the level design opportunities there (tons of bodyguards, maybe some civilians) and for how it would have filled-in the plot narrative a little, rather than leaving it heavily implied. Although I guess that's HM's style.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Problem is we don't see it, so it's only implied. But considering my previous grievance, I highly doubt that happens.

Both Miami (Everyone) and Hawaii (Richter and his mom) get nuked, which implies that a lot more than one state get blown up

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

So I'm taking it that like Russia won the Sino-Japanese war or something? Or that Japan didn't participate in WWII? Like come on, there's too much speculation and not enough explanation for something like this.

Why is America such a pussy in this game?
Operation: Snake Eater failed and the Philosopher's Legacy was not secured by the Patriots :smith:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Hotline Miami is a prequel to the upcoming Hotline New Vegas

I would probably pay for DLC that put This Machine or A Light Shining In Darkness in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Both Miami (Everyone) and Hawaii (Richter and his mom) get nuked, which implies that a lot more than one state get blown up

So was it the US, or the wold world?

See you don't even know, its "implied", and neither is really consistent with the game's plot. So... problem.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Operation: Snake Eater failed and the Philosopher's Legacy was not secured by the Patriots :smith:

The La Li Lu Le Lo?!? :tinfoil:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I asked before, but is the San Francisco bombing from the comics or something? I saw absolutely no reference to it in the game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
^ :suicide:

Zaphod42 posted:

So was it the US, or the wold world?

See you don't even know, its "implied", and neither is really consistent with the game's plot. So... problem.

How is it a problem that the game only shows us the outcome of the areas relevant to the plot? It wouldn't change anything if the entire world got nuked, or if literally only richter's hawaii beach house and Miami got nuked. Everyone involved in the plot who was still alive died. Sorry they didn't zoom out and show the whole world being bathed in nuclear fire while fading to grey and saying BUT THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

moths posted:

I asked before, but is the San Francisco bombing from the comics or something? I saw absolutely no reference to it in the game.

It's in one of the newspapers you can read during between-mission segments, I think it's before the subway mission.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Hotline Miami is a prequel to the upcoming Hotline New Vegas

Dennaton says: Windows are out. Literally. Walls, too. Thought the level design was open before? See how you like it on the desert. The most common form cover are cactus patches that you can kill yourself on because the Russians poisoned the land with a mystery drug that made everything killer. It turns out you were working for NotMonsanto all along.
The game finally answers what the crazy drugs in Hotline 2 are, even though it doesn't actually matter to the story at all. Violence continues to be a bad thing. Hotline 2 is retconned by 3 even though it's a prequel.
Players mull over the meaning of so many cacti in the desert for way too long because one of the devs is called "Cactus."

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

moths posted:

Beard makes reference to it in HLM1 "Somethings not right, I haven't felt this way since San Fransisco." and it was referenced in Jake's comic "Never again! Not another San Fransisco!"

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

And you watch it happen while you are playing HLM2. You walk outside of the store as Beard and get loving nuked. How could people miss that? It doesn't just get referenced, it's something you directly witness!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Geight posted:

And you watch it happen while you are playing HLM2. You walk outside of the store as Beard and get loving nuked. How could people miss that?

People seem to get it mixed together with the two other nukes. Also, I think he was asking about everything not game related.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

moths posted:

Way at the end of the ending to Casualties it time skips to the Soldier, who's living in San Francisco and shows that he, and the rest of the city get nuked

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

As always, Richard knows whats up.

Erata posted:

Dennaton says: Windows are out. Literally. Walls, too. Thought the level design was open before? See how you like it on the desert. The most common form cover are cactus patches that you can kill yourself on because the Russians poisoned the land with a mystery drug that made everything killer. It turns out you were working for NotMonsanto all along.
The game finally answers what the crazy drugs in Hotline 2 are, even though it doesn't actually matter to the story at all. Violence continues to be a bad thing. Hotline 2 is retconned by 3 even though it's a prequel.
Players mull over the meaning of so many cacti in the desert for way too long because one of the devs is called "Cactus."

This sounds great, as long as it looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5pR5ktDwts

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

People seem to get it mixed together with the two other nukes. Also, I think he was asking about everything not game related.

But there was also absolutely no reference to it in the game, apparently.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The cover art for this game is Beard watching the bomb go off

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The cover art for this game is Beard watching the bomb go off

There's so many cool things about it that I am legitimately annoyed that somebody could manage to miss all of them.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
anyone have tips for the third part of dead ahead hard mode?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that's my problem. So the US Didn't nuke Russia after San Fran, but they do after Miami? :confused: Whats the big difference there?

Or is it that Russia nukes the US but Russia gets to live on afterwards as the winners of the Cold War? But if the US didn't have nukes, why didn't they just invade us Red Dawn style to begin with??? Why the coalition? None of this adds up. :ussr:

I think having a level where you play as the commander and Assassinate the leaders Would have been REALLY good, both for the level design opportunities there (tons of bodyguards, maybe some civilians) and for how it would have filled-in the plot narrative a little, rather than leaving it heavily implied. Although I guess that's HM's style.

The problem with the scenario you're proposing is that it goes against the entire message of the game: Nothing matters, enjoy it while you can.

The only thing of any real consequence that you take part in in the game are the Hawaii missions, and even then that's merely because of the genesis of 50 Blessings and you didn't really have anything to do with that.

Absolutely everything else is pointless. There is no rhyme or reason to what happens. The most powerful decisions in the game being entirely out of your control is one of the neat things about the game, imo. It's a nice contrast to other games where the world literally hinges on you being the chosen one etc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Geight posted:

There's so many cool things about it that I am legitimately annoyed that somebody could manage to miss all of them.

Between this latest conversation and dudes like Discendo Vox it's kind of depressing to think that there are people dense enough to interpret relatively simple stories this badly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also given that America lost the war in Hawaii and a criminal used it as a safe haven bets are that Hawaii is no longer owned by America in the HM universe. So Hawaii is getting blown up by an American nuke while the Ruskies are nuking Maimi. It's likely that everyone is getting nuked if you assume this.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
nm its the 4th part.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ddraig posted:

The problem with the scenario you're proposing is that it goes against the entire message of the game: Nothing matters, enjoy it while you can.

The only thing of any real consequence that you take part in in the game are the Hawaii missions, and even then that's merely because of the genesis of 50 Blessings and you didn't really have anything to do with that.

Absolutely everything else is pointless. There is no rhyme or reason to what happens. The most powerful decisions in the game being entirely out of your control is one of the neat things about the game, imo. It's a nice contrast to other games where the world literally hinges on you being the chosen one etc.

Complete Nihilism, yeah.

Its just that... nihilism is so unsatisfying. "Whats the game's meaning? There is none!" just isn't as satisfying as if it had more of a message.

The first game seems pretty self-aware, lulling you into a violent videogame and then using meta to make you analyze why you play violent games and what games even mean or are.

The second game just kinda adds more, has some cool story, and then goes out singing "nothing really matters... anyone can see, nothing really matters to meeeeeeeeeeee" Drop mike, nuke goes off, everybody dies.

It is what it is.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Between this latest conversation and dudes like Discendo Vox it's kind of depressing to think that there are people dense enough to interpret relatively simple stories this badly.

I feel like a different interpretation from the norm is one thing, but just completely not paying attention is another. :eng99:

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Zaphod42 posted:

Complete Nihilism, yeah.

Its just that... nihilism is so unsatisfying. "Whats the game's meaning? There is none!" just isn't as satisfying as if it had more of a message.

The first game seems pretty self-aware, lulling you into a violent videogame and then using meta to make you analyze why you play violent games and what games even mean or are.

The second game just kinda adds more, has some cool story, and then goes out singing "nothing really matters... anyone can see, nothing really matters to meeeeeeeeeeee" Drop mike, nuke goes off, everybody dies.

It is what it is.

I don't remember killing a "Mike" in this game.

I like the end of this game. I like the end result and the message, and what it all meant up to that point.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Geight posted:

I feel like a different interpretation from the norm is one thing, but just completely not paying attention is another. :eng99:

Both goons and people who play video games are infamous for their ability to misunderstand anything

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Both goons and people who play video games are infamous for their ability to misunderstand anything

But when the 2 overlap is it 2 times as bad or like a double negative and just goes back to normal?

its the first one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The overarching story in HM2 is pretty dumb and told in a super obtuse way so I don't blame people for not getting the whole picture right from the moment they finish it. Also the newspapers you can read are tiny and don't actually become highlighted unless you mouse over them while you are next to them so I don't blame them for missing those either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I just found out about the answering machine -> bar sequence, missed that entirely. That's pretty interesting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Geight posted:

And you watch it happen while you are playing HLM2. You walk outside of the store as Beard and get loving nuked. How could people miss that? It doesn't just get referenced, it's something you directly witness!

Storytelling so good that it's easy and a common to miss a nuclear bomb. Probably because the effect they used for it gets lost in all the other weird dying / psychotic break / brain damage / etc transitions HLM uses in its narration.

I never found a newspaper, either. I didn't know we were supposed to be pixelbitching for them.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

moths posted:

Storytelling so good that it's easy and a common to miss a nuclear bomb. Probably because the effect they used for it gets lost in all the other weird dying / psychotic break / brain damage / etc transitions HLM uses in its narration.

I never found a newspaper, either. I didn't know we were supposed to be pixelbitching for them.

It's not easy or common, that's why I'm so shocked that somebody managed it.

Geight fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 18, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Yeah, it's not like there was a montage of nuclear blasts killing the various characters or anything

You're extremely dense

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, it's not like there was a montage of nuclear killing the various characters or anything

That's at the end of the game though?

E:

Beard's happens way before that, he might be having a stroke or not-Nam flashback for all you know unless you read the wiki.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 18, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Quote isn't edit

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

You don't have to double-down on this, dude. It's not a huge deal that you missed an event in the story, just move on instead of pretending that it's the game's fault or complaining about 'pixelbitching'.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
People questioning why the US never launched retaliatory nukes for San Fran, remember that MAD has never really been tested. We don't know even if the real world US would respond to nukes with nukes when put to the absolute test on it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

That's at the end of the game though?

E:

Beard's happens way before that, he might be having a stroke or not-Nam flashback for all you know unless you read the wiki.

Dude, the time-date stamp says San Francisco

I didn't get it until I replayed the mission after beating the game but it's not some big mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's just stupid to manifests a major story element as an Easter egg and a single screen transition.

Mark buying a pizza gets more screen time.

• Locked thread