Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It would be really, really nice to have an option to turn off the motion blur. Alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Is Type-0 open world at all? The linearity of XIII really turned me off that game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Or to adjust its sensitivity and swing. I'm actually feeling a bit of the motion blur+camera nausea from those 90 minutes in my stomach now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

haunted bong posted:

Is Type-0 open world at all? The linearity of XIII really turned me off that game.

You can travel around the continent, yes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

God damnit japan

I'm playing one of the girls and testing out combat moves in the Arena to see who I like. After doing a few killsights I'm thinking 'huh, that move sure has a long animation lock at the end'.

I look more closely and realize it's because the girl is pushing her skirt back down over her panties.

Midriff revealing tops and short skirts = combat attire.

I don't know why this surprises me :ughh:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

KH2 is literally the worst non-Card game combat wise. Like minus the timer thing 3D has really fun gameplay and you can zip around really fast and punch men really well. KH2 takes what 1 did and adds in two features that just make it easier without making anything more fun.

Seriously, go play BBS if you think KH2 was a good or fun game. You'll poo poo your pants it's so fun.

Dude, I just did another play through on Critical of BBS on my PSP, yeah, its an amazing game with great combat, the environments aren't nearly as expansive as KH2 though (as is to be expected on a handheld).

LIke, it can not be your thing, I get that, but KH2 is amazingly well done, with the only real downside is that the game is far to easy. Each of the drive forms plays quite differently, and I have had people tell me they like each of the different forms the best, even though, admittedly Final Form is insanely overpowered (as an end game super-form should be). There is a good variety of heartless and some interesting bosses. Even if you dislike the game, saying its a bad kingdom hearts is, well grotesquely over-exaggerating its faults.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

victrix posted:

God damnit japan

I'm playing one of the girls and testing out combat moves in the Arena to see who I like. After doing a few killsights I'm thinking 'huh, that move sure has a long animation lock at the end'.

I look more closely and realize it's because the girl is pushing her skirt back down over her panties.

Midriff revealing tops and short skirts = combat attire.

I don't know why this surprises me :ughh:

japanese games with pedophilic imagery how could it be

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think they decided to not try to translate the goofy pun. Her name is literally Cidney/Sidney in the Japanese version. (Written using the same characters as Cid even.) They jusy decided to make it Cindy in translation. (I'm not sure why since Sidney is a girl's name and still conveys the joke.)

Sid was the Cid in The Spirits Within, they fear any reference to that name will raise it once again.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

MarsDragon posted:

Sid was the Cid in The Spirits Within, they fear any reference to that name will raise it once again.

It's too late, soon the Aki Ross dlc will be upon us.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

haunted bong posted:

You can run around in the world between missions but there's arguably nothing interesting to do, and it has an otherwise pretty rigid mission structure that is extremely linear. If you want to have fun exploring this probably isn't the game for you.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
FF15 demo was pretty fun, but there is alot of work to do.

The size of the map was impressive, but it looks like poo poo beyond 20 yards. It wouldn't look out of place on the PS3, and the framerate is rear end when there's things happening. On PS4 hardware, there's no excuse for that. Also, the black ring filter-thing surrounding the screen looks awful.

Combat was fun but needs some work; the "lock-on system" is a joke and I just found myself swinging wildly into packs of mobs. Feels like it's great for 1v1 but add monster friends and it's a mess in a hurry.

All in all, the flaws weren't enough to make it unenjoyable. Its shaping up nicely and will probably be A Good Game, so I'm hoping Square is serious when they say they're taking in feedback from the demo into their development.

Minor gripe, but no playable ladies to add into the party is kind of a drag, so hopefully they can make the party members have more than 2 things to say like they did in the demo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

If you want to have fun this probably isn't the game for you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dubious posted:

The size of the map was impressive, but it looks like poo poo beyond 20 yards. It wouldn't look out of place on the PS3, and the framerate is rear end when there's things happening. On PS4 hardware, there's no excuse for that.

The excuse is: It's a demo.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The GIG posted:

It's too late, soon the Aki Ross dlc will be upon us.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Aki Ross model could only be opened in some ancient proprietary software that's only installed in some computer in the basement of the former Squaresoft HQ.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Open world? Type-0 is open bag, to take dramamine patches out of and then vomit in, because gently caress me that camera.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

KH2 is literally the worst non-Card game combat wise. Like minus the timer thing 3D has really fun gameplay and you can zip around really fast and punch men really well. KH2 takes what 1 did and adds in two features that just make it easier without making anything more fun.

Seriously, go play BBS if you think KH2 was a good or fun game. You'll poo poo your pants it's so fun.

Birth By Sleep is really boring gameplay wise, beating everything comes down to different kinds of spam
Swarm of enemies? Spam your commands
Giant boss? Spam Shotlocks and commands
Small boss? Spam guard and counter
Boss that attacks you a lot? Spam dodge rolls

Like, at least in KH2FM fighting things requires something resembling reflexes. Time your dodge roll right. Quick run at the right time. Close in and begin a combo at the right time. Back off before the boss smacks you in the face. Take an opportunity to use the right kind of magic.

And the basic combos in BBS were useless and most of the commands are obsolete by the end of the game once you've gotten thunder surge and mega flare

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Dubious posted:

no playable ladies to add into the party is kind of a drag
Now there's a great idea for DLC, let your J-pop bros dress up as various female FF characters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Level Slide posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Aki Ross model could only be opened in some ancient proprietary software that's only installed in some computer in the basement of the former Squaresoft HQ.

aki ross should show up in the next dissidia

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

bloodychill posted:

It would be really, really nice to have an option to turn off the motion blur. Alas

After about 10 minutes I had a splitting headache and my whole body felt strangely hot. I might not be able to play this game unless it's patched.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope they reveal a female party member for XV and it's Lightning

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FFXV's combat is... different. I don't think I've really played an RPG like it.

I can't really get descending attacks to work right, and I can't figure out exactly what determines what attacks can be parried and countered.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I hope they remove Cindy, Stella/Luna/Whatever her name is, and that black haired chick from the 2013 trailer.

All the boys, only boys, all the time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

Now there's a great idea for DLC, let your J-pop bros dress up as various female FF characters.

lightning gackt, lulu gackt, and vanille gakt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

FFXV's combat is... different. I don't think I've really played an RPG like it.

I can't really get descending attacks to work right, and I can't figure out exactly what determines what attacks can be parried and countered.

Descending attack are literally just 'start attack in air." It seems to be mostly there for attacking an enemy when you're hanging off one of the metal things. It's literally a descending attack, not a jump-attack.

Attacks that can be parried are slow attacks with big windups. The easiest to see is the Goblins who have Goblin Punch. It has a huge slow windup and the counter-warning prompt appears as soon as they start it. As long as you're in Defense mode when it hits you'll get the prompt.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just found the combat in FFXV kinda... boring.
We only control one guy and hold down the R1 and square button and watch an enemy health bar slowly go down. Occasionally if you want to get a parry in, hold the L1 button and then get an easy counter kill. Then run for a really long time in a single direction across a pretty bland looking open environment like this is an Early Access survival game on steam.

I'm worried about those parts of the game, the combat and the environments/traversal. The story still has an interesting hook and I'm sure the music will be great, but the things I'm worried about constitute the majority of the game time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ffxv is the ubisoft of final fantasies

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

We only control one guy and hold down the R1 and square button and watch an enemy health bar slowly go down. Occasionally if you want to get a parry in, hold the L1 button and then get an easy counter kill.

How do you feel about watching a bar slowly fill up and then selecting "attack"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

We only control one guy and hold down the R1 and square button and watch an enemy health bar slowly go down. Occasionally if you want to get a parry in, hold the L1 button and then get an easy counter kill. Then run for a really long time in a single direction across a pretty bland looking open environment like this is an Early Access survival game on steam.

I'm worried about those parts of the game, the combat and the environments/traversal. The story still has an interesting hook and I'm sure the music will be great, but the things I'm worried about constitute the majority of the game time.

You can do a fun and engaging combat system with only one playable character. Lightning Returns actually did a good job with the concept. It's really execution that'll determine how fun it is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

How do you feel about watching a bar slowly fill up and then selecting "attack"

you didnt play lightning returns did you

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Make every Final Fantasy just like Lightning Returns til the end of time, problem solved

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope they reveal a female party member for XV and it's Lightning

I hope Stella is voiced by Lightning except Ali Hillis is allowed to emote this time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dubious posted:

Make every Final Fantasy just like Lightning Returns til the end of time, problem solved

Lightning Returns: Cute Boy Edition, sold.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

were none of you doing full thrust or tempest through packs of enemies and blade warping around? it sounds like a lot of you were just holding square and hoping for the best. I never really had trouble getting the combat be fun and energetic and landing hits on poo poo i wanted to kill

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dubious posted:

You should do this but also rename it. Just to give the IP a distinctive feel. Maybe emphasize the idea that it's about a Valkyrie collecting souls. You can get Tri-Ace to work on it since they're not very busy. Just keep making these Valkyrie games for eternity.

Rei_ posted:

were none of you doing full thrust or tempest through packs of enemies and blade warping around? it sounds like a lot of you were just holding square and hoping for the best. I never really had trouble getting the combat be fun and energetic and landing hits on poo poo i wanted to kill

I only really found Tempest worth it in the big Cave O' Goblins. Where, admittedly, it was really drat useful.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lightning Returns had better outfit options than a lot of games built around a character creator and playing dress up was fun and worthwhile thanks to the schema's inbuilt attacks.

You could have something pretty drat good with LR if you kept refining it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

for example, valkyrie profile: hrist

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

corn in the bible posted:

ffxv is the ubisoft of final fantasies

Very deliberately.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Level Slide posted:

I hope Stella is voiced by Lightning except Ali Hillis is allowed to emote this time.

So you are saying you want her to voice the character like Palutena from Kid Icarus Uprising?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I only really found Tempest worth it in the big Cave O' Goblins. Where, admittedly, it was really drat useful.

Yeah, it seems like they put it in there just for that area.

The only skill I didn't use much was the thrust one. Tempest was great for goblins, Dragoon Jump for slow big targets that "wiggle" attacks at you, drain sword for healing quick, and warp sword was good for chasing enemies that kept running away. Thrust didn't fit in well, but I admit I just may not have spent the time to find a good use for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Thrust is great for just loving up tightly grouped packs of enemies