Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Crono: "I'll rescue Marle! Give me that amulet!" "What the? Lavos? We have to stop it, come on!" "Not this century, Azala, your reign ends here!" "Lavos... I will... destroy you..."

You know if they wrote this most fans would lap it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It would be like having Ness talk. The character's entire personality is "heroic."

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Ness has a personality: "Small town hero with a big heart"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

also, Flying Man represents part of his soul, or something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

elf help book posted:

Stories are dumb.
They are good, video games just have been pretty bad with them. They're getting better though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Accordion Man posted:

They are good, video games just have been pretty bad with them. They're getting better though.

No thanks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

Ness has a personality: "Small town hero with a big heart"

All of which comes through without him speaking words.

Accordion Man posted:

They're not if you actually want to have a story and/or you don't have them emote to make up for their lack of talking like Mario in the RPGs. Half-Life 2 is awkward as hell for example because everybody talks to Gordon and he doesn't say anything.

Yeah, that's a cool opinion to have, if you're a boring baby who enjoys the sound of a rattle and drooling on himself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

They're not if you actually want to have a story and/or you don't have them emote to make up for their lack of talking like Mario in the RPGs. Half-Life 2 is awkward as hell for example because everybody talks to Gordon and he doesn't say anything.
yeah silent protagonists are insanely dumb in a conventional story with conventional dialogue and conversations. I mean I don't remember any cool action movie dudes having particularly nuanced character development but at least they say fun one-liners and grin instead of having a huge cardboard cutout for a face with a "..." speech bubble hanging over it forever.

It worked better I guess when games were more abstract, like 16-bit RPGs, and left more to the imagination. Having some goober just stand there in a frock and occasionally shake his fist while everyone else is animated and moving around interacting with proper 3D objects is awkward as h*ck

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Giygas... what you're doing... it's wrong. Can't you understand?!"

"It's not right... not right..."

"That's it! Fight your own evil!"

"I'm... h...a...p...p...y..."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Goddamn all this extra dialogue adds so much!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

games where silent protagonists are fine include Chrono Trigger & Cross, Earthbound, Grand theft Auto, and all the Zelda and Elder Scroll games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if only Claude Speed could say witty one-liners while beating on the police to earn enough stars to steal a tank!! The game would have so much more meaning, like a Francis Ford Coppola movie..... Just ruins the story, no way to tell what he is thinking.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

remember kids if a stranger comes up and offers you a video game story, just say no thanks and call the police

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Then you say "That's... no good!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Sorry, Jeff, I'm too sad to swing my bat. I'm thinking of PUSSY and my mother right now."

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
<alyx vance> Gordon Freeman I presume

<me irl> woah what the gently caress who is this and why did i go down like a bitch wait why is my dude so mute goddamn loving cut scenes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

<alyx vance> Gordon Freeman I presume

<me irl> woah what the gently caress who is this and why did i go down like a bitch wait why is my dude so mute goddamn loving cut scenes
this was my reaction because I unironically want all FPSs to be like Doom and not turn my character into a pussy bitch who loses sometimes

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this was my reaction because I unironically want all FPSs to be like Doom and not turn my character into a pussy bitch who loses sometimes
"Oh no I'm surrounded by ten guards, who I already killed dozens of already. Whelp time to surrender."

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

What did Ness say after he listened to Joe Rogan too many times and went to that volcano and did his crazy DMT trip?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Accordion Man posted:

lol no they're not

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

"Oh no I'm surrounded by ten guards, who I already killed dozens of already. Whelp time to surrender."

you just described the ending of ffvii crisis core

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

you just described the ending of ffvii crisis core
I thought it was more of a unending wave of enemies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Silent protags are lame because physically voicing the character yourself is like the one thing you still can't do in a video game, and games with silent protagonists operate under the assumption that that's what's happening. Dead Space 1 is a pretty good example because Isaac doesn't say anything out loud for the whole game but his quest log journal thing is written from the first person, so obviously he has a perspective on what is happening but he just doesn't speak because ???. I am glad 2 rectifies this mistake.

edit: They even had the same guy voice/mocap Isaac in 1 but it didn't matter because all he did was go ARRRGGHH.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

I thought it was more of a unending wave of enemies.

you can sit and massacre soldiers for hours and even then you have to just stand there and let them kill you to finish the game, then it transitions to a cutscene where zack (who has fought GOD) gets mowed down by two lone grunts

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think some games are good having silent protagonists and others are good having voiced characters. I spent alot of thinking this over and I'm pretty sure it's the best take on the subject

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i dont like the weird mixture of listening to someone then reading your own unspoken text. that really bothered me about dragon age origins

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think some games are good having silent protagonists and others are good having voiced characters. I spent alot of thinking this over and I'm pretty sure it's the best take on the subject
It is.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

DAO was a legit good rpg though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Agreed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

For some games it is probably better to not have the protagonist talk but the illusion breaks the moment the game asks the player a direct question that begs a response, and Half-Life 2 does that in like the first 5 minutes which is why it's not a great example.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

For some games it is probably better to not have the protagonist talk but the illusion breaks the moment the game asks the player a direct question that begs a response, and Half-Life 2 does that in like the first 5 minutes which is why it's not a great example.

I disagree with this, though.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Shenmue would have been a much worse game if Ryu were a mute

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Monster Hunter 4 makes jokes about the player character being mute by having a character that asks you direct questions all the drat time and she just goes "...you don't say!" in response. That game is super open about the player character's muteness to the point where I think it's probably better off that way.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

gay skull posted:

Shenmue would have been a much worse game if Ryu were a mute
You have to perform a QTE in order for Ryu to pantomime looking for sailors.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

CJacobs posted:

Metroid: Other M

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

if samus never says another word in all the metroid games, i wouldn't mind at all

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

if samus never says another word in all the metroid games, i wouldn't mind at all
The Prime games did a quality job giving her personality without dialogue too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

Good news: they are never making another one, so she will never say anything again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I actually preferred DA:O's unvoiced character, reading dialogue choices in my head felt much more ~immersive~ than hearing some random VA spout them.

I think in modern high visual fidelity games with lots of story and fixed main characters voicing is probably the way to go though as the protagonist normally has some actual stake in events past 'is a hero' and it's harder to abstract stuff like conversations when it's all rendered up close in detail. It'll be interesting to see how Xenoblade X pulls it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'll admit that Oblivion might be fun if the guy who does the male elf voices had to respond with all the dialogue choices that I gave to him, so that the guy from the prison at the beginning could say YOU'RE GOING TO DIE IN HERE! to himself, but I prefer unvoiced. I'd have just skipped the dialogue to move things along quicker, anyway, so hearing it in my head is actually "breaks the illusion" less

• Locked thread