Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

spoils posted:

Kendrick is much smarter and intellectually attentive than any other rapper really (i.e Drake) and is making music that will be listened to and appreciated for a much longer time than any other rapper (especially Drake). While RTJ or most other rappers are trying to make really cool hip-hop, Kendrick is trying to make music cooler than hip-hop. Good song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Listening to it at work and no way I can form a opinion for a few days and more listens at least. Anybody judging it right now after a few days is full of it.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
since he's been brought up a couple times in the last few pages I just wanted to remind everyone that rapper Childish Gambino created his stage name via a Wu-Tang Clan name generator.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

lol that's great

(this is my contribution to the tpap discussion)

spoils
Nov 2, 2012

Prescient opinions from a prophetic fag

FBZ has been releasing decent singles recently, erick ark elliot's production has improved a lot since their first mixtape
https://soundcloud.com/flatbushzombies/half-time-feat-asap-twelvyy

Best thing you can learn from the thread is to not take anything as actually serious

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
people are saying TPAB is unlistenable because there's long non-musical sections littered throughout. they're cool (i guess) if you're trying to do the complete album experience listen-through but at 80 mins it's kind of a trudge even if you like the whole thing a lot i would think. the repeated poem is ok but ehh the rest comes off as kendrick thinking he's about to drop some mad knowledge and edify the poo poo out of his audience with this pseudo deep spoken word stuff. i mean i agree with uhh all of his points but i don't think they're particularly insightful or original. it's just kind of obnoxious to have it interspersed in such a way that it's impossible to just listen to the music. i'm sure that was by design but that doesn't mean i have to like it or think it was a good choice.

i don't get the unaccessible arguments though. the musical parts sound good, all of the rapping is on point, and musically it's all pretty straight forward aside from some of the more experimental/free-form jazz sections. those are just kinda bad imho and I like jazz a lot.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It is pretty inaccessible for a casual rap listener you have to agree. You have to pay a little more attention than usual to get anything out of this album, otherwise at face value it's a smear of rap poems and jazz.

Same as Lupe's album I still haven't gotten through.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Would you guys consider Kendrick a "conscious" rapper now? Or maybe moving towards that avenue? Like Common, Talib, Mos etc. I haven't listened to TPAB yet, but reading some of the complaints / praises it sounds like he's trying to change his sound?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Would you guys consider Kendrick a "conscious" rapper now? Or maybe moving towards that avenue? Like Common, Talib, Mos etc. I haven't listened to TPAB yet, but reading some of the complaints / praises it sounds like he's trying to change his sound?

He was already a conscious rapper, just one that managed to get radio play.

And this album is completely inaccessible relative to hip-hop of his popularity level. There's no radio-ready single other than i.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know if inaccessible is the right word, it's just not shuffle-able, or play the hits-able. All you have to do to access it is play it like an actual record, from the first track to the last. If that's too hard for some people, then they don't deserve this music anyway.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I could easily see "King Kunta", "Alright" and a cut down version of "These Walls" (like they did for Swimming Pools) getting airplay

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Viginti posted:

I don't know if inaccessible is the right word, it's just not shuffle-able, or play the hits-able. All you have to do to access it is play it like an actual record, from the first track to the last. If that's too hard for some people, then they don't deserve this music anyway.

Didn't know Cecil Taylor was posting here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

since he's been brought up a couple times in the last few pages I just wanted to remind everyone that rapper Childish Gambino created his stage name via a Wu-Tang Clan name generator.

And? It's actually a pretty good stage name, origins aside.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I for one enjoy reading everyone's wildly varying opinions and lurkers getting in on the discussion.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's weird to me that there are so many people saying that they can't listen to individual tracks from TPAB, I feel like I can really love these tracks when I hear them individually but they sound dull and overlong when bunched next to each other in one 80 minute sitting.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah the lyrical content of s80 and gkmc isnt that much different it's just that the beats and music on TPAB is more unique/less mainstream sounding. Makes for a denser album that takes a while to digest which i thnk is another reason why people are judging these critics and fans saying it's 10/10 or absolute garbage already. So yeah i guess i get the inaccessible complaint.

And of course kdot has cranked up the "skits"/heavy handed album theme to 11 so it's literally impossible to ignore. Like gkmc you could listen to in sequence to get the album experience and storyline etc or you could throw on Backseat Freestyle or Bitch Dont Kill My Vibe on whenever you want. TPAB pretty much demands you listen to it as an album which would be ok but it's 80min and a lot of that time is spent outside of the music itself:

HorseRenoir posted:

It's weird to me that there are so many people saying that they can't listen to individual tracks from TPAB, I feel like I can really love these tracks when I hear them individually but they sound dull and overlong when bunched next to each other in one 80 minute sitting.

I can listen to them and like a lot of the songs on their own but what i was complaining earlier is that they dont work well in a playlist context cause of the interludes and spoken parts at the end and/or middle of nearly every song. I have a huge playlist i put on shuffle and like to just let it ride.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 19, 2015

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

u is such an emotionally charged song. he literally sounds like hes about to burst into tears

"You shoulda felt that black revolver blast a long time ago,
And if those mirrors could talk it would say "you gotta go."
And if I told your secrets,
The world'll know money can't stop a suicidal weakness"

:drat:

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

alansmithee posted:

Didn't know Cecil Taylor was posting here.

I'm too white to understand or relate to that reference. Why can't you make references that all of us can access? Gentrify yourself!

Back on topic though, I don't know if the drinking sound effect is the best or worst moment of the album, but it sure is soemthing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Viginti posted:

I'm too white to understand or relate to that reference

Thread title now plz

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thread title now plz

Seriously where has het been

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 19, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Well, it applies to me as well.

So yeah, new thread title.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
rap thread rated 1 since day 1 all your opinions? booboo.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
"alright" to "the blacker the berry" is a really strong sequence of music to me. even the 1st section of the album is pretty solid too actually, it's just those last 3 tracks where i've kinda had enough and wish it ended. as others have already mentioned that last song in particular definitely doesn't help things. i just can't foresee myself going out of my way to listen to even just half of that ever again. i'm still not feeling "i" either even tho it definitely is better than the single version.

Not An Irish Monk fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 19, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Rap goons

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Viginti posted:

faaaaaaaaart, music is not some loving gated club. Everyone deserves it

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i will say "that nigga gave us billy jean you think he touched those kids?" is perhaps the dumbest rap line i've ever heard. im sure someone will pop in to show how its not offensive and actually really deep though

edit: also lol

Not An Irish Monk posted:

"the blacker the belly"

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 19, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
i don't know that listening to an album as an album is so much a gate as it is a slight step before the entrance; no-ones keeping you out and if you trip coming in it's your own drat fault and your own drat face you'll fall on. The point wasn't that this album is right to be inaccesible, but that its wrong to think its that hard to get in to.

spoils
Nov 2, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

i will say "that nigga gave us billy jean you think he touched those kids?" is perhaps the dumbest rap line i've ever heard.

"Go Kamikaze, misunderstood like fuckin' Nazi's"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xm_8bYoQYw

I want more stupid offensive lines in rap pls

Antequek
May 30, 2014

Robert Analog posted:

I for one enjoy reading everyone's wildly varying opinions and lurkers getting in on the discussion.

I feel appreciated :clint:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

spoils posted:

"Go Kamikaze, misunderstood like fuckin' Nazi's"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xm_8bYoQYw

I want more stupid offensive lines in rap pls

beat that pussy up like emmett till

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Viginti posted:

i don't know that listening to an album as an album is so much a gate as it is a slight step before the entrance; no-ones keeping you out and if you trip coming in it's your own drat fault and your own drat face you'll fall on. The point wasn't that this album is right to be inaccesible, but that its wrong to think its that hard to get in to.
TPAB lacks instant gratification songs. The amount of down tempo tracks is a flaw and the only thing keeping me from calling it an instant classic "10/10" masterpiece. GKMC is similar but it had sing-along fun songs like the recipe, money trees, back seat freestyle, swimming pools, bitch don't kill my vibe. TPAB isn't radio friendly and that's not a flaw but I need something for swerving through traffic too.

Not An Irish Monk posted:

"the blacker the belly"
the sweeter the jews?

temple fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 19, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Hmmm, I guess I just figure that the lack of up-tempo numbers, memorable hooks, catchy melodies etc. is only a flaw if there were botched attempts of those same things present. For the most part though the album does exactly what it seems to have set out to do, it's more just a subjective matter of whether or not you care for that particular thing. He ahs no obligation to be radio friendly. My main gripe after a few more listens is that a lot of the motif's aren't great enough to stand up to the amount of repetition he employs

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

Profondo Rosso posted:

lmao yeah idk what happened there

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Viginti posted:

Hmmm, I guess I just figure that the lack of up-tempo numbers, memorable hooks, catchy melodies etc. is only a flaw if there were botched attempts of those same things present.

it's only a flaw insofar as it keeps it from being a classic or perfect album. it could be a "Great Rap Album" but i don't think it is going to be popular for very long. the novelty will wear off i suspect and at the end of the day it's just not that fun to listen to without any of those things you mention. even if you like "working to enjoy" an album (which I don't really, my favorite albums tend to be effortless for me to enjoy) i'd be interested to see how many people are coming back to it a year or two later. i still listen to gkmc a lot so who knows.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

spoils posted:

Kendrick is much smarter and intellectually attentive than any other rapper really (i.e Drake) and is making music that will be listened to and appreciated for a much longer time than any other rapper (especially Drake). While RTJ or most other rappers are trying to make really cool hip-hop, Kendrick is trying to make music cooler than hip-hop. Good song

The hilarious part of all of this is Drake makes more interesting music than Kendrick 95% of the time, but because he gets radio play he's a plebe who makes temporary music.

TPAB was good, it wasn't anywhere near as impressive as Overly Dedicated and didn't catch me as easily as Good Kid, MAAD City, but it's very good and has some standout tracks (These Walls, How Much A Dollar Cost, Alright).

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Drake is a ho.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Profondo Rosso posted:

guwop reference

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Mannie Fresh posted:

The hilarious part of all of this is Drake makes more interesting music than Kendrick 95% of the time, but because he gets radio play he's a plebe who makes temporary music.
Funny cause I was going to mention Drake. Post Thank Me Later, his music is brooding and emotional and I don't think it will hold up. I think people will look back and remember the singles. He gets so dark and drags on that I can't bother to listen to most of it. Kendrick's music isn't timeless masterpieces but I think it will last longer because it is cohesive. Even if you don't like every song, you can appreciate them as a part of a whole. Sorta like Kanye. Drake's sound is fixed in this time but I think the overall moodiness of it will always have some fans.

If You're Reading This It's Too Late is not good imo. I get the purpose of it but it is a blemish on his catalog.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 19, 2015

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
ah yeahhh Kendrick, Q, Tyler, Run the Jewels, Action Bronson, Yung Lean at Osheaga in Montreal this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

ah yeahhh Kendrick

If youre lucky he'll perform the tupac interview