Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I still need to get back and check this idea, but I think we meet the people from Abyss on one other occasion. I think they're the other attendees at the Fans' party before the first scene.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

could someone please tell me if i do, in fact, enjoy hurting other people

if i do, in fact, enjoy hurting other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Saying the game is about how 'nothing matters' seems to be missing a lot. I mean, I think it's a pretty standard reading of the game that violence is literally sickening and senseless.

The events of Hotline Miami 1 and the bridging comments also show how Jacket's killing sprees, being the most prolific, inspire others and create the general culture of violence. His actions mattered a great deal!

I would say the Colonel's actions definitely matter, since he creates 50 Blessings and starts a nuclear war.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

bewilderment posted:

Saying the game is about how 'nothing matters' seems to be missing a lot. I mean, I think it's a pretty standard reading of the game that violence is literally sickening and senseless.

The events of Hotline Miami 1 and the bridging comments also show how Jacket's killing sprees, being the most prolific, inspire others and create the general culture of violence. His actions mattered a great deal!

I would say the Colonel's actions definitely matter, since he creates 50 Blessings and starts a nuclear war.

There's a pretty fundamental (and stupid) direct authorial contradiction in the first game, whose message presented by the janitors at the end was "Wow, you sure are stupid for caring about this intricately plotted narrative we made! What a waste of time!" It's quite possible they're shooting for something similar this time around, as well, although I'm more likely to chalk that up to them taking the axe to a number of levels/features late in development.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

bewilderment posted:

True, but the Colonel isn't a playable character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just read the comics, kinda explains a bit. Playing the game only you have suspicions but you're not sure; the comics spell everything out explicitly.

Also there's this crazy image of Jake

Waffle! posted:

Pick any song from the Hotline Miami series and add it to an action scene:

http://youtubedoubler.com/ePOY
Mute the second, full screen. 720 syncs best, I think.

Scary how well that works. What I imagine getting an S rank on Hard is like.

What rank do you unlock the Big Daddy mask?

Yeah that works really well:

http://youtubedoubler.com/ePSe
Roller Mobster vs Oldboy

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 19, 2015

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bewilderment posted:

Eh, kind of. More than that though, there's a lot in HM2 to the effect that violence is just human nature every bit as much as our reactions to it.

That is to say both "humans are animals" and can't account for our natures whether we choose to go shoot up buildings full of people or not, and "we the player-characters are sickos who kill and torment other animals and wear their faces out of sheer cussedness" because humans are red in tooth and claw and can't really get a grip on why they do what they do. I agree that the game doesn't claim that nothing matters. It claims that specifically videogames don't matter. "Leaving this world isn't such a scary thing." Like most things Richard says, it makes some degree of sense to the character he's talking to but is nonetheless addressing the player as well, he's telling you to get up from the computer and get a life.

bewilderment posted:

Within the world of the game, but like the first game it's also very insistent that events within the game's world are trivial by necessity, being only an excuse for real people to commit fake bloodshed because...uh, who knows? The whole 50 Blessings thing is, as the janitors mentioned in HM1, pretty much irrelevant. Nobody played the game because they really deeply care about a fictional terrorist group, it's because shooting guys in videogames is a fun diversion from real life.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
You guys are confusing everyone because you're not reading what they're writing. Specifically someone asks how you know that Beard's nuclear explosion takes place in San Francisco and you lay down all this knowledge about how this happened in the comics and this was a reference to this and all this other poo poo. The same poster will then ask if it's ever referenced in the game and you bring up the box cover. But that doesn't answer his question now does it?

So here we go, this is the million dollar question that poster and myself and probably some other people want answered:

How do you know that the explosion that takes place outside of Beard's shop is in fact in San Francisco? Is it ever referenced in game besides the scene it happens in?

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Hey what do you know; he's right.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

You guys are confusing everyone because you're not reading what they're writing. Specifically someone asks how you know that Beard's nuclear explosion takes place in San Francisco and you lay down all this knowledge about how this happened in the comics and this was a reference to this and all this other poo poo. The same poster will then ask if it's ever referenced in the game and you bring up the box cover. But that doesn't answer his question now does it?

So here we go, this is the million dollar question that poster and myself and probably some other people want answered:

How do you know that the explosion that takes place outside of Beard's shop is in fact in San Francisco? Is it ever referenced in game besides the scene it happens in?

Sure is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skunkrocker posted:

It tells you about twenty seconds before it happens the exact time and location, like it does with every other scene.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 19, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'll just assume that After the sanfran nuke, all the other nukes were the Earth getting blasted to gently caress all at once so that makes a bit more sense.

There's two. Do you have a learning disability?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

'Learning disability' was the name given to Dallas' own nunchaku kata.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Huh. You know, that cutscene has the same red digital clock from the exploding nuclear power plant. Does that show up anywhere else? Because otherwise that really implies an Owl Creek Bridge scenario.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's the standard display on the beginning of every level.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think all of beards levels have a digital clock

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Just read the comics, kinda explains a bit. Playing the game only you have suspicions but you're not sure; the comics spell everything out explicitly.

Also there's this crazy image of Jake

Yeah that works really well:

http://youtubedoubler.com/ePSe
Roller Mobster vs Oldboy

John Wick is the true S-ranker: http://youtubedoubler.com/ePWn

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

moths posted:

Huh. You know, that cutscene has the same red digital clock from the exploding nuclear power plant. Does that show up anywhere else? Because otherwise that really implies an Owl Creek Bridge scenario.

All the levels have a digital clock saying the time from what I remember. It's not an Owl Creek Bridge scenario. Beard lives through Hawaii, he goes back home to San Francisco, and then it gets bombed. You don't need to overthink this. The game doesn't present it as false in any way, and the supporting elements outside the game confirm it. See also the things Beard says to Jacket in both HM1 and HM2, and the photographs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

moths posted:

It's not an Owl Creek Bridge thing. This is the reason why in Jacket's coma dream Beard tells him that he feels like something bad is going to happen, and he hasn't feel that way since San Francisco. He goes back to the US, along with Jacket who he saved (Jacket is the other soldier who he carries out of the nuclear power plant, and very, very clearly survives because you play as him in the first game, and the entire second game hinges on him having done all those things, and you see him), opens a shop, and then gets nuked in SF. I don't know why you keep insisting that it's this other thing when it is clearly not.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'll admit, I didn't realize that San Fran was nuked until I got spoiled on it. With the way he says "Hold on, there's some commotion outside", my first impression was :smith: he's made it back, opened his dream store, and now he's just gonna get killed in some pointless mugging. By a Russian mobster, which is what made his buddy freak the gently caress out. Like, in some ways, it feels worse than the nuke; the nuke is important, a mugging would have been pointless.

Anyway, I took this

and made it into

Time to hurt people.

I'm trying to figure out how to change the background a bit to make things more legible. Or just look better.
I figure either swap white to black, or try to extend the blue sunset. Second would look way better, but be a lot harder.

I thought there was a double palm tree logo, without the text, but that might just have been in Payday.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 19, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It just seems weird that the LT put so much emphasis on how the mission was doomed and the only way anyone was making it home was in a body bag. Plus they played the "one last mission" card, the nuke is the same effect that gets you if he doesn't escape the plant (because your monitor settings made it impossible:argh:), and the scene ends with a nuclear reactor seconds away from going critical in Hawaii. But Beard suddenly finds himself living his dream, no nuclear holocaust takes him out, and everything is too good to be true, except oops no maybe that was a lie because the imminent thing from the previous scene happens in this one.

You have to ignore more cues that the SF sequence never happens than that it did. But IDK, as much as I think that was my initial take on it - this is a game where a principal character is an omniscient evil rooster man. So yeah that probably happened. The narrative is an off-screen guy with a shotgun behind a window. Mash R.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

I'll admit, I didn't realize that [spoilers]San Fran was nuked[/spoilers] until I got spoiled on it. With the way he says "Hold on, there's some commotion outside", my first impression was :smith: he's made it back, opened his dream store, and now he's just gonna get killed in some pointless mugging. By a Russian mobster, which is what made his buddy freak the gently caress out. Like, in some ways, it feels worse than the nuke; the nuke is important, a mugging would have been pointless.

Anyway, I took this

and made it into

Time to hurt people.

I'm trying to figure out how to change the background a bit to make things more legible. Or just look better.
I figure either swap white to black, or try to extend the blue sunset. Second would look way better, but be a lot harder.

I thought there was a double palm tree logo, without the text, but that might just have been in Payday.

I really, really like the first Hotline Miami's logo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

San Francisco, Miami, and Hawaii.

No I don't, jackass. :v:

(And as we were discussing, you could say they implied more.)

PopZeus posted:

John Wick is the true S-ranker: http://youtubedoubler.com/ePWn

The text messages popping up in teal works really well in the Miami context. :dance: And yeah, John Wick is apparently great at Hotline.

Speaking of, it was probably discussed earlier in the thread but That bank mission as the russian son was clearly inspired by / an homage to Payday

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 19, 2015

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I kind of hate the alt-history stuff. It doesn't hang together too well and makes everything unnecessarily complicated. It wasn't even needed to justify the assassinations and armageddon; they could have set the war stuff in Panama or Vietnam and it's not like the real US-Russia situation wasn't insanely fraught in 1991.

I'm playing some levels on hard and now I 'get' the game better and enjoy it more, but it still strikes me as stupid that the level design doesn't seem to take the window size into account, and that every other threat is dwarfed by the risk of getting lit up by a guy who wanders across the upper or lower boundary of your shiftlook range.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of, it was probably discussed earlier in the thread but That bank mission as the russian son was clearly inspired by / an homage to Payday

Why is it specifically Payday and not Heat or any other piece of media with a bank heist?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why is it specifically Payday and not Heat or any other piece of media with a bank heist?

You could say that, yeah. But the Hotline devs and the Payday devs are pretty buddy buddy what with all the Hotline DLC in Payday 2, and them both saying they were huge fans of each others' games.

There's literally a Hotline Miami level in Payday 2 now, so I figured the Hotline guys put a Payday level in Hotline 2 as a quid pro quo.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 19, 2015

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

All the Hotline-Payday crossovers probably, also Hoxtons mask being in the games files.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oops, messed up the spoiler tags.

The soundtrack is pretty good workout music. I want to add weights and a punching bag to my routine, then savagely beat the punching bag with the weights.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Brovstin posted:

All the Hotline-Payday crossovers probably, also Hoxtons mask being in the games files.

Also Mark having a grizzly bear mask is taken directly from the grizzly mask in Payday 2 that's also called Mark.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Also Mark having a grizzly bear mask is taken directly from the grizzly mask in Payday 2 that's also called Mark.

You kid but a guy from Overkill mentioned that it's apparently a reference to the Fans.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

San Francisco, Miami, and Hawaii.

No I don't, jackass. :v:

Pretty sure Hawaii was never nuked. Richter was in Miami with his mother at the end, not Hawaii.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anatharon posted:

You kid but a guy from Overkill mentioned that it's apparently a reference to the Fans.

I thought Mark had been around as a mask long before any details were revealed about Hotline Miami 2, but I could be wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Pretty sure Hawaii was never nuked. Richter was in Miami with his mother at the end, not Hawaii.

It seems an equal number of goons think it was one way as the other way :iiam:

It looked like Hawaii like where the soldiers were drinking, but yeah it could have been Miami. But then why does he mention needing a plane ticket for Hawaii?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

It looked like Hawaii like where the soldiers were drinking, but yeah it could have been Miami. But then why does he mention needing a plane ticket for Hawaii?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Bft6KgS0_CQ#t=260 (Ending spoilers, obviously)

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

He says he fled out there, and wants to fly his mother out. Richter's definitely in Hawaii.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The only part of the whole scenario that sticks in my craw aside from the whole magical-realist memetic violence angle of 50 Blessings is how America didn't slam their fist down on the gently caress YOU button and launch the missiles the moment San Francisco was nuked. It sort of flies in the face of how MAD works.

Who knows. Perhaps they decided to instead resort to proportional response followed by offering peace talks?

Zaphod42 posted:

He's *in Hawaii* when he contacts the Writer and wants him to buy a plane ticket for his mother so she can come over to him. That's als why It'd make no real sense for his final scene to be in Mami.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 19, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Draxion posted:

He says he fled out there, and wants to fly his mother out. Richter's definitely in Hawaii.

Thanks for proving my point :)

Magni posted:

He's *in Hawaii* when he contacts the Writer and wats him to buy a plane ticket for his mother so she can come over to him. That's als why i'd mae no real sese for his fnal scene to be in Mami.

Right.

And yet the game says "Miami" clear as day on the loading screen. Hence the argument.

We just had this conversation :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 19, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My guess is the loading screen saying something else there is just a mistake.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Considering Richter cares about his mom and should definitely have been aware of the Russian invasion years ago, he must've realized how stupid an idea it was to take her there. Staying in Miami isn't much better, nuke notwithstanding, but at least he knows the place well enough to avoid anyone who would take a crack at him.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Discendo Vox posted:

I still need to get back and check this idea, but I think we meet the people from Abyss on one other occasion. I think they're the other attendees at the Fans' party before the first scene.

The party that introduces you to the fans makes me sad that you don't get to unlock more masks because they went to the trouble of rendering a lot of them for that one throw-away scene. The panda bartender would be hilariously :3: for killing people in.

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a pretty fundamental (and stupid) direct authorial contradiction in the first game, whose message presented by the janitors at the end was "Wow, you sure are stupid for caring about this intricately plotted narrative we made! What a waste of time!" It's quite possible they're shooting for something similar this time around, as well, although I'm more likely to chalk that up to them taking the axe to a number of levels/features late in development.

Hotline Miami 2 was originally announced as coming out in 2013 and was pushed back multiple times, including a last-minute push back from a holiday 2014 release. Considering that the pig butcher was something they showed off so heavily when they first announced it and how in the final game he's practically an afterthought with no connection to the main plot it feels like they were going to do a straightforward sequel about the pig butcher but then came up with the story we got in the final game and scrapped most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Sleeveless posted:

The party that introduces you to the fans makes me sad that you don't get to unlock more masks because they went to the trouble of rendering a lot of them for that one throw-away scene. The panda bartender would be hilariously :3: for killing people in.

I just noticed something weird: the Panda mask is the only one that didn't appear in HLM1.

The guy behind the couch next to the boxes has on Rasmus, and inside the boxes is several masks: Jake, Aubrey, Dennis, Richard, Tony, Jones, and Richter. The barback is wearing a Dennis mask and there is Jake and Tony masks on the counter.

Who are you, mysterious panda bartender? What is your story?

• Locked thread