Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

I honestly never ran into a problem with it

Did you never have the issue where the game would just hang forever on loading screens? It was a fairly common problem apparently, and I certainly used to get it a lot. The game seemed pretty crash happy when hitting save/reload too. I didn't have too many crashes during actual gameplay, though.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
With community patches for both I crash more in Fallout 3 than in New Vegas. I think from most to least stable, my experience has been Skyrim > New Vegas > Morrowind > Oblivion > FO3.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Heavy Lobster posted:

With community patches for both I crash more in Fallout 3 than in New Vegas. I think from most to least stable, my experience has been Skyrim > New Vegas > Morrowind > Oblivion > FO3.

Are you running Windows 7/8 with a quad core processor? If so, check the Beth forums for an INI fix that forces Fallout to see and use only 2 cores. That should fix it.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I want to heavily mod Oblivion's graphics, because unlike Morrowind and Skyrim I think Oblivion's art direction is loving godawful, and it looks like painted poo poo at the best of times.

I'm looking at videos on Youtube, and I'm stuck between the OBGE and an ENB.

Looking at http://youtu.be/blu-CLgKSuY?t=19m50s shows me the ENB which is apparently really easy to set up, and does look nice. Problem is it's got this really strange yellow/orangish haze/tint I can't put my finger on that somewhat bugs me. Is it that noticeable in game, or is there anyway to turn that off?

http://youtu.be/t95gbVdPQgs?t=8m16s seems to showcase OGBE, which looks worse in a couple ways, but maintains the aesthetic of original Oblivion much better. The sharpness/contrasts don't really look as good as the ENB, but it doesn't have that haze to it. Problem is it sounds like a pain in the rear end to set up properly.

Basically I'm in a weird catch 22 and want goon advice. Unlike Morrowind/Skyrim I loathed Oblivions art direction, so the idea of the easy to install ENB changing it to something less rear end is a nice one. On the other hand, I'm a huge sucker for keeping to the original vision, so the idea of doing my best to just force the original vision to be less rear end as possible also does appeal to me in some strange way. Curious if goons who have used ENBs notice that odd tinting as much in game, or if one way is considered better then the other, etc.

OBGE is a pain in the rear end to get working correctly, no longer supported, and essentially obsolete. Get Oblivion Reloaded.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Orv posted:

All of your posts in here seem really angry about 11/11/11 for some reason. It was buggy on launch but nothing world ending.

The number is completely irrelevant, but the game was a really crappy console port on release. I am taking a bit (a bit is an understatement) of an extreme position to illustrate the fact that we all forget how crappy of a console port Skyrim was. Comparing the game now, today, with it's latest patch to completely unpatched Skyrim is a bit extreme; you look at Skyrim now after the devs have patched in loads of content and it seems pretty okay, but don't forget how incomplete parts were on release (PC UI for example, as someone said).

That's all I'm really saying.

It wasn't like completely awful or unplayable, but it was drat annoying that they completely neglected PC gamers at first. Now it's quite the opposite, and Skyrim is a PC gamers' paradise. Time and patches change everything.

Sorry for my rude tone earlier. I tend to be a dick and take an extreme untrue position when people take an extreme untrue position in the other direction. But that's probably apparent. ;P

To the guy modding Oblivion, have you tried the base essentials, like QTP3, Natural Environments, Oblivion Character Overhaul, etc? Not sure if any of those are compatible with Oblivion Reloaded except the character overhaul, but all of those will add a lot of "this is not 2006" to your game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I ordered a poster signed by Kirkbride weeks ago and received an apology email from his lady's personal account. I feel like Eddie Van Halen just signed "sorry" on my tit. Or Valerie Bertinelli, anyway.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The PC UI was inexcusable, I'll give you that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

The PC UI was inexcusable, I'll give you that.

PC UI wasn't great, movement felt (and still feels) a tiny bit stilted with kb+m compared to an analogue controller, and you really should have had the ability to create more hotkeys... but all in all it's not like Skyrim was a catastrophe on PC at launch. I have played some terrible ports in my day and Skyrim was barely on the spectrum.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

nosl posted:

To the guy modding Oblivion, have you tried the base essentials, like QTP3, Natural Environments, Oblivion Character Overhaul, etc? Not sure if any of those are compatible with Oblivion Reloaded except the character overhaul, but all of those will add a lot of "this is not 2006" to your game.

Honestly this is all I needed as far as making Oblivion look pretty alright. I think I have a few other tweaks here and there (I recommend all but the dark forest and rolling hills modules of Unique Landscapes) and how you deal with level scaling is a matter of personal preference, but as long as you're willing to accept the environment is going to be Eurofantasy it's not that bad looking all things considered.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Shab posted:

I ordered a poster signed by Kirkbride weeks ago and received an apology email from his lady's personal account. I feel like Eddie Van Halen just signed "sorry" on my tit. Or Valerie Bertinelli, anyway.

I think you need to tell the rest of this story.

1) How do you order such a poster?

2) By "lady" do you mean his assistant, or a partner? The former is much more plausible, but I don't see how it would be special.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

VostokProgram posted:

2) By "lady" do you mean his assistant, or a partner? The former is much more plausible, but I don't see how it would be special.

Presumably Lady N, who is indeed MK's partner.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
She's actually a 9th era Vivecian fhqwhgads, she just looks like his partner to your primitive Kalpic brain.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Not much of a story, really. She's his partner and I follow her on tumblr (ladynerevar.tumblr.com) because she's a huge lore nerd. She'll sometimes link to some prints they're selling and this was the first time I've seen them do signed prints. It was a run of 15. I don't know if they'll do it again, but they sold out in a few minutes so I don't see why they wouldn't.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Heavy Lobster posted:

and how you deal with level scaling is a matter of personal preference

My personal preference is OOO. Pretty much essential in my opinion, vanilla oblivion was awful.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

nosl posted:

My personal preference is OOO. Pretty much essential in my opinion, vanilla oblivion was awful.

I'm not a fan of OOO because it turns the first seven levels into "grind on rats and wolves in a small radius around the imperial city so you don't get destroyed in any other part of the world." I've been using Francesco's and having a lot of fun with it – it smooths out the spawn tables so that you don't have to minmax, as well as adds some preplaced stuff like OOO does, and makes it so that Ebony/Daedric/Glass is still rare at high levels. It's closer to Skyrim's curve but less generous, and isn't all-or-nothing as OOO goes on the preplaced loot front.

As much as I love preplaced loot, Oblivion and Skyrim weren't really designed from the ground up for it like Morrowind was, and trudging around through random dungeons hoping you found the one with an upgrade isn't as engaging as having them in the hands of NPCs or in specially-hidden places around the world.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I have a really stupid question.

What's an Elder Scroll?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Elder Scrolls are ancient artifacts that have been around for as long as history has been recorded. Nobody is quite sure where they come from or why they exist. The Scrolls are a little funky, the amount of scrolls in existence is Unknown. It seems the amount just fluctuates. So does their location. They seem to have some amount of agency in where and how they show up. Nobody has ever been able to collect and hold onto all of them. Even if you have a large collection one day after counting all of them you may find you are missing 2. Or have 2 more.

That combined with that fact that reading them is hard and non deterministic makes it almost impossible to track what scrolls there are. It might well be that the same scrolls are constantly moving around. Or it might be that some disappear forever and are replaced with new ones.

Whatever magic is in the drat things is mindbogglingly powerful. Literally these things are bad for you, they will fry your eyes trying look at the writing without proper preparation. And even with proper gifts and preparation the very act of gaining insight from them makes you go progressively blind. In fact while Moth Priests ( and Protagonists ) are able to Read them Reading them is probably not the real point of the things. We just have no clue what you're supposed to do with them, can't even really start to figure it out.

They seem capable of much more, as the main quest of Skyrim lets you travel through time with one.

Of course the most well known part about the Elder Scrolls is that they predict the future. Well, sort of. Reading the drat things is a bit of a foggy mess at the best of times. But they definitely record the past and give insight into the future. Although in the generic fantasy Prophecy form.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 19, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

They don't "give insight into" the future, they make the universe. If someone is written in an Elder Scroll then that thing Will Happen, Has Happened and always did.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Elder Scrolls are source code and the ones who are allowed to read them are the compilers or some other Kirkbride nonsense.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

They are also sentient and exist on multiple planes at once. When the stone of the White Gold Tower was destroyed in the Oblivion crisis, all the Elder Scrolls in the library decided to gently caress off and go somewhere else.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

axolotl farmer posted:

Elder Scrolls are source code and the ones who are allowed to read them are the compilers or some other Kirkbride nonsense.

Kirkbride is what elevated TES from generic fantasy pap. :colbert:

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

They don't "give insight into" the future, they make the universe. If someone is written in an Elder Scroll then that thing Will Happen, Has Happened and always did.

Yeah but its about as useful and concrete as any other fantasy prophecy. Only in hindsight can you go, that is what was up. Because reading the things is like trying build a coherent message out of a few seconds of complete information overload.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Tzarnal posted:

Yeah but its about as useful and concrete as any other fantasy prophecy. Only in hindsight can you go, that is what was up. Because reading the things is like trying build a coherent message out of a few seconds of complete information overload.

I'm inclined to disagree. Elder Scrolls say and do very concrete things. They break daedric curses and cast dragon demigods adrift in time. What some people interpret as prophecy is usually actually correct and detailed instructions. Such as: how to open a dwemer lockbox. How to turn off and on the sun. Where to get an item that will let you turn off and on the sun. The words for dragon bane. It's like a god's tool kit and instruction manual.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I'm inclined to disagree. Elder Scrolls say and do very concrete things. They break daedric curses and cast dragon demigods adrift in time. What some people interpret as prophecy is usually actually correct and detailed instructions. Such as: how to open a dwemer lockbox. How to turn off and on the sun. Where to get an item that will let you turn off and on the sun. The words for dragon bane. It's like a god's tool kit and instruction manual.

Yeah, the Elder Scrolls aren't really prophetic, just precognizant. How prophecy in the series is handled is pretty well outlined in Morrowind, which is to say that it's all mostly coincidence and grooming.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Thing is, you usually cannot read the whole thing without going blind because you mess with the fabrics of reality.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Bholder posted:

Thing is, you usually cannot read the whole thing without going blind because you mess with the fabrics of reality.

And even if you could what you read is not the same thing someone else would read from the same scroll.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

yeah the lore nonsense is pretty great

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, Elder Scrolls are not really prophetic in a way of "this is what will happen", they only show what could happen. Then when an event actually does happen it gets basically locked into the scroll, and there is no force in the entirety of the series that can force an Elder Scroll to lie. If something was written, that's what happened, and gently caress whatever curses or magic try and say otherwise.

Obviously that's a really Big Deal because Corvus Umbranox, as the Grey Fox, was desperately trying to break his curse, and the only way to do that was to get an Elder Scroll, because only it could give him the ability to force time to rewrite itself because he did something that was impossible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEfftVsyk_c

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp_PHSAEDes

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Ahahahahaha, because trying to turn generic fantasy into generic scifi is any less generic? It kind of makes it more generic IMO. As fantasy transitioning into scifi is basically what real life is.
And don't get me wrong, TES lore is interesting and i love it the way it is, but it's still generic pap.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, Elder Scrolls are not really prophetic in a way of "this is what will happen", they only show what could happen. Then when an event actually does happen it gets basically locked into the scroll, and there is no force in the entirety of the series that can force an Elder Scroll to lie. If something was written, that's what happened, and gently caress whatever curses or magic try and say otherwise.

Obviously that's a really Big Deal because Corvus Umbranox, as the Grey Fox, was desperately trying to break his curse, and the only way to do that was to get an Elder Scroll, because only it could give him the ability to force time to rewrite itself because he did something that was impossible.

This is also why the Dragon Breaks are a huge deal and even more mysterious. Because they aren't contained in the scrolls. No one knows what happened during dragon breaks, but everyone knows the dragon broke.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

At the same time, science fiction concepts described by wizards and elves is a really cool idea.

Is having a medieval society with elves and orcs generic? That's just the framework for the stories, the canvas for the Kirkbridean nonsense. The other planets are the rotting corpses of gods. The protagonist's ability to use console commands is described in-universe. There are magical artifacts that will blind you if you don't read them properly, and they might be cheat codes for reality.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
TES lore to the casual fantasy fan (i.e. me) is definitely not generic because once you poke through the first couple layers, it's completely bewildering.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

elder scroll lore is a lot of things but generic isnt one of them

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Elder Scrolls lore is one giant spacetime circlejerk, but I'm OK with that.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I always thought TES lore had a sort of weird "organic" feel to it. Compared to the lore for other things I like, which often feels much more polished, TES lore feels like the roots for a plant that sort of spread out and got entangled everywhere.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
A lot of that is deliberate. Todd Howard is on record as really liking that there are questions in the lore that have no real answer. The most obvious example is the Disappearance of the Dwemer, where there are theories but no official answer.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah, about that.

What are the major theories about the Dwemer? Why did they disappear? Where did they go?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The most comprehensible hypothesis is that Kagrenac was trying to destroy the Chimer and pointed the gun the wrong way, but there's no real evidence for any particular explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

LoonShia posted:

Yeah, about that.

What are the major theories about the Dwemer? Why did they disappear? Where did they go?

I thought the answer was that Kagrenac's tools got used on the Heart of Lorkhan, and that caused the entire dwemer race to somehow get sucked into that walking tower they were making... or something. See also Arniel Gane. He got vanished, but somehow his spirit was still summonable. Maybe the Dwemer are still out there, wherever there is. There's certainly no sign of them in any of the realms of oblivion we've seen, or in the Soul Cairn.