Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

madmac posted:

Technically speaking, there's no calculations that go into resolving autocombat, the AI just quickly runs a normal battle against itself and posts the results. You even get replays! Thanks to PBEM, I've been able to experience the thrill of watching the AI take about a minute to resolve a seven stack siege battle and then spend 15 minutes watching the replay to see where I went wrong. (Secret spells man, fricken Great Revitalization ruined me and I had no way of knowing he had it.)

As a result, the main skill in bending autocombat is finding ways to make the suicidal AI work in your favor. Or just bring more dudes.

Ouch. I'm not familiar with that one, but I know Revitalize. If that one is basically an AE version, that would really, really suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Carnalfex posted:

The secret to autocombat is never ever ever bring cavalry.

It's okay, the autocombat AI is pretty good about self-correcting that issue.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Taliesyn posted:

Ouch. I'm not familiar with that one, but I know Revitalize. If that one is basically an AE version, that would really, really suck.

Resurrects a random friendly unit every round, forever. By sheer happenstance, it kept reviving his ranged units that could self heal, round after round after round. In a siege battle. I'm still raging about it.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

madmac posted:

Resurrects a random friendly unit every round, forever. By sheer happenstance, it kept reviving his ranged units that could self heal, round after round after round. In a siege battle. I'm still raging about it.

Oh dear God....

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taliesyn posted:

I would expect that Gerblyn would have taken flanking into account in resolving autocombat. If not, then, get on it, G-man! :)
The horrific power of flanking needs to be experienced to be appreciated. Autoresolve doesn't have the same emotional impact as spinning an ogre around and around with a pile of t1s. Or seeing a bandit make a beeline for the backside of your half-health hero.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Splicer posted:

The horrific power of flanking needs to be experienced to be appreciated. Autoresolve doesn't have the same emotional impact as spinning an ogre around and around with a pile of t1s. Or seeing a bandit make a beeline for the backside of your half-health hero.

:argh: Sprinting scoundrels :argh:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Took out a Titan once with boars and a couple goblin ranged units once. It was thrilling to say the least.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Man, the stupidity of autobattle really makes PBEM frustrating.

I don't mind autobattle for PVP, but when I get jumped by wandering monsters, it's annoying as hell. Yeah move that 8 HP guy next to the fire elemental before you kill it with a crossbow. Things'll be fine.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

a!n posted:

I don't know, those all seem like great ideas to me.

Can't you already make 'vampire Nazis lead by a big boobed catgirl' in the expansion? Evil female Tigran necromancer, bam! Complete with ethnic cleansing too.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Can't you already make 'vampire Nazis lead by a big boobed catgirl' in the expansion? Evil female Tigran necromancer, bam! Complete with ethnic cleansing too.

brb, gotta make a new custom leader.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I need to know if tigran females can have Hitler staches.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
The real question is are they going to keep having to one-up themselves with the expansions - will the third one have TWO classes and THREE races???

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Ok the hairy women thread has become truly magical. Gerblyn you should have it stickied, may it never die.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That forum is populated by people who should feel at least a little ashamed of themselves, all the time.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Malachamavet posted:

The real question is are they going to keep having to one-up themselves with the expansions - will the third one have TWO classes and THREE races???

Coming in 2017

e: I feel like the game is really coming into its own right now- they've added a peaceful victory condition, another class and two races into the roster, and god knows how many other changes to the gameplay to make this game so many times better than it was at launch. What features/additions do you guys think the game could use if they do get around to making another expansion pack?

Personally, i'm all about three things.

1) A more expansive underground (with probably a couple more underground-based races) with a little bit more depth to it to make it more interesting than it already is.

2) Branching tech-trees. It would be cool if around t3 you could give the player a choice of buildings (both racial and class-wise, ideally) to determine which units they get to produce in that specific city.

3) Naming your units. Holy poo poo it would be cool to run around with a flamer named LaBomba. (Also a possibly fundamental change, but the ability to promote units to heroes after like a champion promotion & you have an empty slot available.)

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 19, 2015

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Arrrthritis posted:

Coming in 2017

e: I feel like the game is really coming into its own right now- they've added a peaceful victory condition, another class and two races into the roster, and god knows how many other changes to the gameplay to make this game so many times better than it was at launch. What features/additions do you guys think the game could use if they do get around to making another expansion pack?

1) A more expansive underground (with probably a couple more underground-based races) with a little bit more depth to it to make it more interesting than it already is.

2) Branching tech-trees. It would be cool if around t3 you could give the player a choice of buildings (both racial and class-wise, ideally) to determine which units they get to produce in that specific city.

3) Naming your units. Holy poo poo it would be cool to run around with a flamer named LaBomba. (Also a possibly fundamental change, but the ability to promote units to heroes after like a champion promotion & you have an empty slot available.)

More diplomacy options would be awesome like being able to coordinate with my AI allies in concert against a coalition of the other AIs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arrrthritis posted:

I really loved the two underground levels in the first Age of Wonders. Having a sprawling dwarven underground empire, with the capital as deep down as possible, was awesome. That's why the dwarf missions in the Keepers campaign were always my favorite. So I'm all for more underground features in AoW3.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
If anyone's having difficulty with PBEM games, I've just been told that there's a bug which means you can't start a PBEM game if the host isn't in the first player slot. It won't be fixed in the coming update, since we only just found it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Beta has been updated!

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/update-v1-5-patch-notes/page/7/#post-168900

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Holy poo poo, the underground is now a billion times better. And Phase Spiders have a decent amount of HP?

Thank you guys!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
War Cry now has a cooldown of 3 turns (was once per battle)
Orc Hunter now has War Cry

:magical:

Arrrthritis posted:

Coming in 2017

Love it. Heres mine:

1) I'd like a builder building that acts as a harbour and removes the slowdown to getting on or off the sea.

2) Tileset: Shadowrealm overgrowth. I dont want the shadowrealm back, but the eerie landscape and its strange foliage was neat. It could be a compliment to the Blighted lands.

3) Map Editor improvement: Use the random map generation code to create a world, or load a saved game (single player or multiplayer!) and use that as a starting point.

4) The ability to "Ping" a spot to allies, to help draw attention to certain cities or sites. Could also be used to request AI support.

5) Skirmish Mode: Only got time for a tactical bloodbath? Pick a class, randomize your unit budget and go to town with a friend in 1v1 or 2v2 modes!

6) Return of the Syrons. Archons already in the game? Not a problem! Have it so in the three thousand years that passed, the otherworldly technology of the Syrons and the Legionary might of the Archons' became one race, and they have returned to put Athla to the sword! You thought Merlin sealed the gates to keep the demons out? You were wrong!*

*Man i'd love to flesh this out more. Not like the Frostlings, literally the two races are firm, inseparable allies. On character creation for example you would choose between Legionary or Surgebinder (Archon / Syron), then gender, then class. :haw: Their armies would have mixed rank units suppored by specialized divisions. The Legions (Swordsmen, Irregulars) would be cross race, but the Lightning Throwers (Archers) would be Syron, where as the Paladins (Pikemen) would be Archons. And so on, and so forth.

I type this knowing Triumph cant use it as an idea because reasons. :mad: Best i can hope for is it being a starting point.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 19, 2015

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Haven't touched this in a while, although it was fun while I played. Eventually, I got sick of my global abilities being counterspelled constantly. Is that still a thing?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

MoreLikeTen posted:

Haven't touched this in a while, although it was fun while I played. Eventually, I got sick of my global abilities being counterspelled constantly. Is that still a thing?

This was fixed with the first expansion, the AI can no longer target your cities without being able to see them with a scout and dispelling is not a 100% chance. Dispels can crit suceed and crit fail, and have I think a base 50% chance? You can also reinforce global spells both on the strategic map and in tactical combat to make them harder to dispel, and power needed to hit 100% dispel chance is not always the same as casting it (big spells tend to be hard to dispel). If a dispel fails it still drains spell power (basically hp for the enchantment) which makes it easier to be dispelled next time. Reinforcing enchantments raises this power, making dispels against them more likely to fail.

Grab the beta on steam, tons of great fixes and changes. Next expansion is less than a month away as well!

Thyrork posted:

1) I'd like a builder building that acts as a harbour and removes the slowdown to getting on or off the sea.

4) The ability to "Ping" a spot to allies, to help draw attention to certain cities or sites. Could also be used to request AI support.

5) Skirmish Mode: Only got time for a tactical bloodbath? Pick a class, randomize your unit budget and go to town with a friend in 1v1 or 2v2 modes!

Love these. Do harbors already do that now that so many good naval adjustments have been made? I'm still adjusting to "water is part of the game now". Was wondering if you wanted a deployable you could drop away from a city or just wanted the functionality in general, because putting it on the harbor itself makes sense.

A few basic ping commands like "defend here" or "go gently caress this up" would be great for MP and a godsend for AI games. If the AI learns to use pings as well as respond to them and can coordinate efforts it could become truly frightening on top of the brain upgrades it already got in this patch. Speaking of which, I really love that the AI can actually be a player in games now and the default difficulty doesn't have to be "crank it to max and still faceroll it to death". Once it gets a little tweak so the "good" AI personality is tweaked a bit it'll be in a place where it can provide a challenge to most players even at a difficulty level that doesn't shower it resources. The fact that it sends messages and uses diplomacy and whatnot now makes it feel much more alive. I just played a game with a friend where one AI got rolled and barely survived, saw we were at war with the other AI that smacked him around, and immediately begged to join our team. We got to handfeed our pet AI back to life while he sent us endless letters of gratitude. It was adorable.

Skirmish mode would be tremendous fun for multiplayer and still a blast to punch the AI as a bite sized straight to blood option.

Also as much as I couldn't care less about either of those two races it is refreshing to not hear someone demanding their KAWAII KITSUNE SHRINE MAIDEN RACE for one minute.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 19, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Carnalfex posted:

Also as much as I couldn't care less about either of those two races it is refreshing to not hear someone demanding their KAWAII KITSUNE SHRINE MAIDEN RACE for one minute.

Im the other kind of bastard, who wants what was old twisting into something new.

Civilized Shadow Demons with a surprisingly complex spirituality!
Lizardmen return with CITY SIZED TURTLES* :stare: and other magically twisted critters from the deep! Of course their trebuchet unit is the Turtle Catapult! :allears:
Nomads are back, they took to the deserts and high places of the world where they had a Diesel-punk revolution! :science: Tesla Coils and Weird War 2 super-science for everyone!

But seriously, just up and bringing back the old races without anything new? gently caress off. The new Frostling stuff is awesome and the Tigrans, who seem to be playing it pretty close to home, have the twist that they went back to Yaka even after he treat them like poo poo. I live for this kind of stuff. :haw:

*Dont pretend you dont want it. :getin:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thyrork posted:

Civilized Shadow Demons with a surprisingly complex spirituality!
Lizardmen return with CITY SIZED TURTLES* :stare: and other magically twisted critters from the deep! Of course their trebuchet unit is the Turtle Catapult! :allears:

Mobile cities seems like such a fun drat option. No settlers, no builders, but turtle cities have baby turtle cities that split off and set up new cities. And they're all amphibious too :getin:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The sorcerer is hilariously fun with all the options it has. Someone trying to take one of your cities? Activate the electric fence, activate the glyphs, summon a horror on the vacant city, and for good measure open up a chaos rift. No need to make any units either just summon more horrible things as you wander around. The enemy thought they could fly over those annoying defenses? Nope I'm just going to increase gravity :smug:.

One thing I noticed though is that it seems to be much easier to be good than evil. I don't really see a reason to pillage or raise cities when I can absorb the for the extra casting points and defend them with summons/spells from anywhere.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
7) in character creation, add a "Zoom to face."/Zoom In button. :haw:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Azuth0667 posted:

The sorcerer is hilariously fun with all the options it has. Someone trying to take one of your cities? Activate the electric fence, activate the glyphs, summon a horror on the vacant city, and for good measure open up a chaos rift. No need to make any units either just summon more horrible things as you wander around. The enemy thought they could fly over those annoying defenses? Nope I'm just going to increase gravity :smug:.

One thing I noticed though is that it seems to be much easier to be good than evil. I don't really see a reason to pillage or raise cities when I can absorb the for the extra casting points and defend them with summons/spells from anywhere.

Hopefully Racial Governance will make this more of a choice. There's basically no downside to absorbing a city, even if you don't wanna deal with production and set it to do merchandise forever.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

Hopefully Racial Governance will make this more of a choice. There's basically no downside to absorbing a city, even if you don't wanna deal with production and set it to do merchandise forever.

I like the fact that they maintain an army and I dont have to pay for it. it can be nice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm strictly speaking as opposed to razing/plundering. You can vassalize conquered cities??

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

I'm strictly speaking as opposed to razing/plundering. You can vassalize conquered cities??

Yes. City management options "Release as Vassal." takes two turns, even gives you a one time boost in racial happiness.

Migration in particular is an option that becomes especially tempting with Racial Governance, and you can combo it with specializations to make it faster and easier.

Evil seems like a suckers bet with all the new dilomacy mechanics until you've been stomped into the ground a couple of times by someone who went full evil and built up a huge early lead while you've been farting around doing quests and waiting for diplomacy cooldowns.

Good is good enough to be an actual choice now, but evil is still really strong and has its own perks.

madmac fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 19, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

7) in character creation, add a "Zoom to face."/Zoom In button. :haw:

There already is one. When you're customizing the appearance, click on the magnifying glass buttons in the bottom left.

Kajeesus posted:

It does. Migrating cities lets you focus all your race happiness onto one race, so it will get race governance XP much faster. Generally, having 1 race at level 4 governance is much better than having 3 or 4 races at level 2. The bonuses you get at level 5 or typically so powerful they almost break the game in half, level 5 elf lets all elven support and archery units fire without line of sight or ranged penalties, for example.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 19, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

There already is one. When you're customizing the appearance, click on the magnifying glass buttons in the bottom left.

:swoon: Awesome.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Gerblyn posted:

The bonuses you get at level 5 or typically so powerful they almost break the game in half, level 5 elf lets all elven support and archery units fire without line of sight or ranged penalties, for example.

:wotwot:

Can't wait to play as Elven Hitler.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
I've been playing as Hitler already, I'm just glad there's benefits to it other than uniformity in aesthetic

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gerblyn posted:

It does. Migrating cities lets you focus all your race happiness onto one race, so it will get race governance XP much faster. Generally, having 1 race at level 4 governance is much better than having 3 or 4 races at level 2. The bonuses you get at level 5 or typically so powerful they almost break the game in half, level 5 elf lets all elven support and archery units fire without line of sight or ranged penalties, for example.

:stonk:

Does...does that apply to all ranged units or just units using longbows and support? Can you have magic no-LOS cannons?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gerblyn posted:

How do you even win a siege as the attacker at that point :psyboom:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

While we're talking about character editors, what's with the orc spikey hair options? They don't so much look like spikey hair as just... spikes.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Malachamavet posted:

I've been playing as Hitler already, I'm just glad there's benefits to it other than uniformity in aesthetic

The only reason good is so strong right now is that it needed to be able to compete with evil, and evil is crazy combined with Racial Governance and stuff like the Shadowborn Spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

How do you even win a siege as the attacker at that point :psyboom:

Also have the same bonuses for yourself!

• Locked thread