Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Don Mega posted:

Can't decide if I want my main to be a druid or chanter. I guess I'll flip a coin on release day.

Maybe it helps, but they play very different. Druid is a standard caster with the ability to transform into a melee form once every fight. The chanter has a cycling list of buffs/debuffs and can cast every 12 or more seconds a big "spell". Druid is the more active class as the chanter. Chanters have the cooler summons as the druid (one with a charming passive ability, one with a sneak attack and drakes and ogres for the highest levels). Druids have better healing spells, the chanter has only one passive ability that heals. Chanter have better non healing support abilities.

I like the chanter more as a ranged non healing supporter and summoner and I play the druid more of a melee/reach damage dealer that is specialized in one element likely either shock or freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GuyUpNorth posted:

It's even based on 2077. I think Eclipse Phase is the only big cyberpunk game left without vidya, unless you consider EVE one.

The only thing EVE has in common with cyberpunk is that people use computers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The modern world is cyperpunk. We have rapidly advancing cybernetic limb technology and the world is basically controlled by giant multi-national corporations. A few months ago I even tested out a computerized prosthetic heel that moves on it's own according to your walking speed and can read the incline of a surface and adjust itself to it for one such corporation.

Also the internet.

Eej posted:

More fantasy games should be set in the early modern era because medieval fantasy is so ubiquitous and stale at this point. Also early modern is far more interesting of a period to base things off than medieval.

A lot of the stuff people think about in relation to the 'middle ages' is more of a early modern thing. Like witch turnings and elaborate torture devices.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

drgnvale posted:

The not watching was implied, sorry that you didn't pick up on that. I just hate the idea of pewdiepie getting to play before people who funded the production of the game. The spoiler thing was a poor rationalization on my part, it's really my hatred of idiots who get paid to play video games and ramble (which is what I'd totally have done if youtube was a thing when I was their age).

Those idiots will hopefully get other idiots to buy PoE and allow Obsidian to make more cool games in the future for smart people like you and me to enjoy. Seemed to work extremely well for another Paradox published title, Cities: Skylines, which rose to the top of the Steam chart within hours of the streaming embargo being dropped. Granted that while there isn't anywhere near as big demand for new hardcore CRPG, as there was for a modern city building game, I'm sure those streamers will help boost PoE sales.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What are the advantages of wizard over druid (or vice versa) for an offensive caster? I know druids can spiritshift but I heard it was pretty useless, and I'm not sure how their spells stack up in both the debuff and damage departments.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm a Youtube Creator, where's my early copy OBSIDIAN!? :argh:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm a Youtube Creator, where's my early copy OBSIDIAN!? :argh:

I'm a Youtube Watcher, so send me my almanac so I can lazily scan what this game is about.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I hate that video game reviewers also get early copies. This is unfair and illegal

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gigawhite posted:

I hate that video game reviewers also get early copies. This is unfair and illegal

agreed, comrade. overthrow the bourgeois establishment and free anime

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I could write an amazing amazon review that counts right

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Prism posted:

What are the advantages of wizard over druid (or vice versa) for an offensive caster? I know druids can spiritshift but I heard it was pretty useless, and I'm not sure how their spells stack up in both the debuff and damage departments.

I ran only once through the BB with a Druid, but it felt like Druid spells were centered more around debilitating the enemies with short casting time spells, while Wizard spells are more varied and powerful but also longer to cast. There are more differences but I'd say that's the biggest one.

Druids are pretty loving cool honestly. Not to say Wizards aren't cool, but they felt closer to DnD to me than the Druids.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just want to say that Landsnecht song posted early in the thread loving rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rope kid as a person who has played obsidian games before i deserve to play the game before the people whose job it is to play the game early. i am holding my expansion preorder hostage until these demands are met. if they are not, well....vive l'resistance

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

gigawhite posted:

the Better Business Bureau will hear about this

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Game reviewers are human trash so it is pretty annoying that they get access to games early

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I was thinking the Bleak Walkers today and was wondering how their company would work. I mean, a 100% Paladin army doesn't sound very efficient. Do they also include Priests and Fighters and whatnot, or are they really all Paladins?

Fungah! posted:

vive l'resistance

Vive la Résistance, thank you for trying though! :france:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Game reviewers are human trash so it is pretty annoying that they get access to games early

:ironicat:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

I was thinking the Bleak Walkers today and was wondering how their company would work. I mean, a 100% Paladin army doesn't sound very efficient. Do they also include Priests and Fighters and whatnot, or are they really all Paladins?

Vive la Résistance, thank you for trying though! :france:

Maybe the paladins are the officers? Otherwise the stacking rules would just gently caress you, but like 1 paladin and ten 0-level fighter infantry could be a powerful combination.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Adam Bowen posted:

gently caress you. I didn't get the game early because we wrote so many harsh reviews in the past we've been blacklisted by Ubisoft and EA so we don't even ask anyone anymore. Not all reviewers are the same but you knew that.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

gigawhite posted:

As a BACKER (and not a scrub casual tier backer either) I deserve to have my poo poo now. :agesilaus:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

prometheus12345 posted:

Maybe it helps, but they play very different. Druid is a standard caster with the ability to transform into a melee form once every fight. The chanter has a cycling list of buffs/debuffs and can cast every 12 or more seconds a big "spell". Druid is the more active class as the chanter. Chanters have the cooler summons as the druid (one with a charming passive ability, one with a sneak attack and drakes and ogres for the highest levels). Druids have better healing spells, the chanter has only one passive ability that heals. Chanter have better non healing support abilities.

I like the chanter more as a ranged non healing supporter and summoner and I play the druid more of a melee/reach damage dealer that is specialized in one element likely either shock or freeze.

Chanters are also quirky in that they have to cast all their active spells in an AoE cone shape.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the idea of fiwer calling literally anyone human trash is maximum lol

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Furism posted:

gently caress you. I didn't get the game early because we wrote so many harsh reviews in the past we've been blacklisted by Ubisoft and EA so we don't even ask anyone anymore. Not all reviewers are the same but you knew that.

So you have to buy a retail copy to review it? I don't see the problem. Seems like what every honest reviewer should be doing anyway.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I never actually beat baldur's gate one or two. :(

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Airfoil posted:

So you have to buy a retail copy to review it? I don't see the problem. Seems like what every honest reviewer should be doing anyway.

Yes that's what do we do now and it feels so much better not to get a call from a bitchy PR representative with threats not to be invited to future press events. I mean, it's nice to meet the developers and everything but not at the price of objectivity.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Furism what do you write for?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I never actually beat baldur's gate one or two. :(

What's stopping you now?

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Prism posted:

I thought spiritshift forms were pretty powerful. They have 8 dr without any speed reduction(breastplate with the same reduction give you a -40 % penalty). The damage is higher as two handed weapons and they use the two weapon style with unarmed weapons. One problem I could see if the armor/weapons doesn't level up that, they are only viable at low level. There is also one talent that add elemental damage to your spiritshift attack(+ 30 % damage, ropekid updated this after beta release) and a second that increases the elemental damage(+ 15 %).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

SurrealityCheck posted:

Furism what do you write for?

A medium-sized French language website that's been around for 15-ish years. It's not the main job for any of us so technically we're not professionals, but all of us have worked in the gaming industry at some point.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I still have no idea what party I want to run with, or what class I actually want to play :psyduck:

Stupid relatively balanced and interesting choices :argh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

VDay posted:

I still have no idea what party I want to run with, or what class I actually want to play :psyduck:

Stupid relatively balanced and interesting choices :argh:

quote:

Buridan's rear end is an illustration of a paradox in philosophy in the conception of free will.

It refers to a hypothetical situation wherein an rear end that is equally hungry and thirsty is placed precisely midway between a stack of hay and a pail of water. Since the paradox assumes the rear end will always go to whichever is closer, it will die of both hunger and thirst since it cannot make any rational decision to choose one over the other.[1] The paradox is named after the 14th century French philosopher Jean Buridan, whose philosophy of moral determinism it satirizes. A common variant of the paradox substitutes two identical piles of hay for the hay and water; the rear end, unable to choose between the two, dies of hunger.

This is actually where I am in Baldur's Gate 2 right now. I kinda want to start my playthrough over as a different class / setup but I can't decide *which*.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Are damaging 2 and accurate 2 the highest of those enchantment types, or will there be more in the actual game?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Please change my name to buried in rear end paradox

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He was actually right the first time. Nobody makes "cyberpunk" games any more. The developers for Deus Ex: Human Revolution actually commented on that in an interview; when they did market research on the "cyberpunk" term, essentially no one had heard of it, and when they described the tropes, all the kids in their target demographics just interpreted those as elements of "modern" settings. Evil corporations, corporate hackers, cybernetic implants, etc., that's all just considered modern now.
It was a successful genre, and sadly accurate. Its also not dead:

(CDPR) Cyberpunk 2077 http://cyberpunk.net/
Interview with Pondsmith (creator of Cyberpunk 2013/20): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZxkhLoukI

The fantasy of the technology will change, but there will probably be a resurgence in technopunk in general, because it is more and more a thing that people are faced with in real life.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
A game with big-head mode is getting released in a week.

:krad::hf::hellyeah:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

This is actually where I am in Baldur's Gate 2 right now. I kinda want to start my playthrough over as a different class / setup but I can't decide *which*.

Yeah I'm the kind of player that started over a dozen times in Skyrim, Divinity:OS, and most recently DA:I because I just keep thinking "I bet this other class/party/whatever will be more fun". Having all these options in a game-type that I'm not super familiar with (player NWN, BG2 and Planescape: Torment but only years and years ago) is just pushing that into overdrive. It's not even an optimal/min-max thing, I'm just genuinely not sure which playstyle I'd enjoy more.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That's why we invented coin toss.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Sharmat posted:

I just want to say that Landsnecht song posted early in the thread loving rules
Where was this?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think maybe it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGjITOezVk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can I be a paladin with a gun and full plate and going around murdering people for god?

• Locked thread