Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's more for focusing on the first things. Because the skills are skewed towards subclassing, a lot of skills drop off sharply after the halfway point, where you're putting in points for a couple percent at a time. Fortess' Iron Wall is 85% reduction at Level 4, to 75% reduction at Level 10. But that's an early skill. HP Boost goes up to 140% increase at Level 10, which is much better. It's not as bad for attacking classes, but there's a bit of hesitance for maxing out skills in EO4. So, beeline for all the good ones, then worry about everything else later, with a point here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Everyman posted:

Thanks, sinking too many points into a skill too soon is a bad habit of mine. I only have one L right now but I've only just unlocked the links. My party is level 14 but I wanted to sink some points into the breaks first for the sake of survivability. Is there a link element I should be focusing on? Same question for Runemaster, or can I build it like my Zodiac from 3 by spreading the points around in each element? I only put 2 points into each of the first tier damage runes so far.

if I recall correctly, most things in the game are weak to ice, whereas the element that the fewest things resist is lightning. So, Ice for big damage, lightning for reliability, fire if you hate yourself.

The breaks are both hugely useful, so adding points to them is certainly a good choice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

gannyGrabber posted:

if I recall correctly, most things in the game are weak to ice, whereas the element that the fewest things resist is lightning. So, Ice for big damage, lightning for reliability, fire if you hate yourself.

The breaks are both hugely useful, so adding points to them is certainly a good choice.

The problem with the break skills is that they're support skills on a damage class. In the early game, they're good because a Landsknecht doesn't really have much to do at that point, but once they get access to more skills, they have better things to do than debuffing the enemy. Especially if they're a Linksknecht, where all that time spent debuffing could be spent setting up Improved Link and Vanguard. Also the Arcanist has Charm Eye, which has both the effects of Power and Mind Break, but it only eats up one debuff slot and can't miss. Also if you have a Fortress in the party, they get better at tanking, which kind of makes the breaks a bit redundant on top of all that.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

The problem with the break skills is that they're support skills on a damage class. In the early game, they're good because a Landsknecht doesn't really have much to do at that point, but once they get access to more skills, they have better things to do than debuffing the enemy. Especially if they're a Linksknecht, where all that time spent debuffing could be spent setting up Improved Link and Vanguard. Also the Arcanist has Charm Eye, which has both the effects of Power and Mind Break, but it only eats up one debuff slot and can't miss. Also if you have a Fortress in the party, they get better at tanking, which kind of makes the breaks a bit redundant on top of all that.

Yeah, but when you're running 5 landies, and have two in the back row...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Yeah, but when you're running 5 landies, and have two in the back row...

Well in that case, yeah. Single class runs tend to throw a lot of things out the window. :v: Still haven't tried one of those myself. No idea which game to start with, maybe EO4.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well in that case, yeah. Single class runs tend to throw a lot of things out the window. :v: Still haven't tried one of those myself. No idea which game to start with, maybe EO4.
Oh god, do EO4 if you're going to do that. None of the other games in the series will be nearly as generous with letting you get away with this stupidity.

For baby's first SCC, Fortress is actually probably the easiest, amusingly enough! :v:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

theshim posted:

Oh god, do EO4 if you're going to do that. None of the other games in the series will be nearly as generous with letting you get away with this stupidity.

An all-Dark Hunter run in EO2 might be fun to try, though. Random encounters would probably wear you down pretty fast, but boy howdy would you ever be able to tear apart FOEs and bosses when you wanted to.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The sixth stratum is called the Cyclopean Haunt!?

... come on I gotta at least explore this a liiiiittle bit before resetting...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't power through it too fast or you'll be sad when your exploring ends and you have to wait for EOU2. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Don't power through it too fast or you'll be sad when your exploring ends and you have to wait for EOU2. :v:

Well I've still got two more endings to go as well so I think I can make this last at least another week.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Come for the stratum theme, leave for the same battle theme since the lava caves.

It's a similar aesthetic to the piss castle, but dark green is a much better colour than piss yellow.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I know the feeling. One look at the title card (and that music) was enough for me to go all the way to B25F. Don't do that though. I suggest exploring until a FOE blindsides you and wipes the party. Usually doesn't take long.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Come for the stratum theme, leave for the same battle theme since the lava caves.

This is especially disappointing after EO4's 6th stratum battle theme.

They really couldn't put one more song in?

Rangpur posted:

I know the feeling. One look at the title card (and that music) was enough for me to go all the way to B25F. Don't do that though. I suggest exploring until a FOE blindsides you and wipes the party. Usually doesn't take long.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm planning. Then I'll mess around with the other postgame quests I have unlocked just to see how hard they are, maybe work on cleaning up a few conditional drops from regular enemies I missed and then next time I play I'll do the first NG+.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 19, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

This is especially disappointing after EO4's 6th stratum battle theme.

They really couldn't put one more song in?

Yeah, it's weird that EO3 is the only game with no proper 6th stratum battle theme. There were a couple of outtake songs that could have fit with some fine tuning, so they might have run out of time or something.

theshim
May 1, 2012

But then, EO4 didn't have a special theme for the postgame superboss either.

Hopefully EO5 will fix both of these grievous oversights. :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wish I could tell my little people to walk over to the swordfish and cut off its fin instead of skinning them every time.

Use every part of the animal drat it

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I'm mildly amused that EO4 the one everybody says a newbie should start with and can be done with any party is the one I've been having the most issue with. EO3 I'm at the 4th stratum so far and really had no trouble getting there, also at the end of the 4th stratum in Untold and have had no issues getting there either but EO4 is a much different story still at the 3rd stratum or whatever they called it in EO4. Took me 3 tries to beat they guy to unlock sub classing and apparently he's very easy or so I'm told.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
After EO4's skill trees I'm having trouble getting into 3. To get my Buc Pincushion I have to max Rapier and Gun mastery, and every point in anything else means I get to the meat slower even if it does give him abilities beyond his basic attack command. Is it just that knowing that's my eventual goal is distracting me from the utility before it? Or is it that my guys are level 3 and I just got off of a smoothly-running I/B machine in EO4 and know about N/Z Dark Ether shenanigans as a strategy?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

After EO4's skill trees I'm having trouble getting into 3. To get my Buc Pincushion I have to max Rapier and Gun mastery, and every point in anything else means I get to the meat slower even if it does give him abilities beyond his basic attack command. Is it just that knowing that's my eventual goal is distracting me from the utility before it? Or is it that my guys are level 3 and I just got off of a smoothly-running I/B machine in EO4 and know about N/Z Dark Ether shenanigans as a strategy?

The buccaneer is really amazing. Pincushion is so good a skill that it's worth the enormous investment.

Try going for max Hanging first though. It'll get you a strong and useful attack skill before the long trudge to Pincushion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's actually the way a lot of the skill trees in the DS games worked. EO4's way of doing things was unique to that game.

Now assuming you went straight for maxing out Pincushion, you won't have access to that until level 28. Or 23 if you use the points you get from subclassing. I wouldn't recommend that, as Pincushion is very expensive skill and your Bucaneer can't use that much without a TP battery. And even then, the damage scales directly off of the AGI stat. Meaning that the skill is far more effective later in the game than early on. A few of the skills are backloaded like that. Hanging and Eagle Eye are really good skills for them to have in the early and midgame. Limit Boost is also adds to their utility, letting them use limits a lot fast than other classes.

Also do not take their Chasers, those are nowhere near as good as Links.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 19, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And believe me when you've got eagle eye, charge tactic, attack order, and charge all stacked and throw down a successful 3 hit pincushion

It's just so good.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

psudonym55 posted:

I'm mildly amused that EO4 the one everybody says a newbie should start with and can be done with any party is the one I've been having the most issue with. EO3 I'm at the 4th stratum so far and really had no trouble getting there, also at the end of the 4th stratum in Untold and have had no issues getting there either but EO4 is a much different story still at the 3rd stratum or whatever they called it in EO4. Took me 3 tries to beat they guy to unlock sub classing and apparently he's very easy or so I'm told.

The start of the third labyrinth is a major hump for a lot of parties. What you need to keep in mind is that the entire area is balanced against the assumption that you have sub classing (more options and +5 skill points), so the little bit before that is quite difficult. Now that you've beaten Kibagami, you'll have a much easier time of it. I would also venture to say that the third land as a whole is the hardest part of the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

theshim posted:

But then, EO4 didn't have a special theme for the postgame superboss either.

Hopefully EO5 will fix both of these grievous oversights. :argh:

To be fair, the superboss in EO4 is just a giant bug that ate the essence of the final boss.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is King Penguin just a joke boss or....??

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

He will wreck your whole life if you let him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Regy Rusty posted:

If you hit him on the wrong turn you better finish him off fast before he counters and blows you away.

And that's about it!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I even got his conditional drop on my second fight somehow.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

He's what I like to call one of those HP sponge enemies. Lots of HP, weak to everything. There's a couple of those in the game, and they have the ability to Curse your party.

Regy Rusty posted:

I even got his conditional drop on my second fight somehow.

It's kill within 5 turns.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Curse is hilarious. It's why I like Diabolix in the first game so much.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He finally decided to explode and kill everyone on my fourth run.

That's pretty funny.

E: Okay even funnier is the reveal that the Pale Horse guild is an all Farmer organization.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 19, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The penguin exploding on me was the first eo experience Id had in a few months. A good way to get back into the game.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Okay even funnier is the reveal that the Pale Horse guild is an all Farmer organization.
As an all Farmer guild, they're obviously very familiar with Death.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK guys, I'm in the Echoing Library for the first time. It is my understanding that I should check the statues.

I'm gonna check the poo poo out of this statue.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Those statues are interesting, but you really want to check the statues in the postgame area.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

OK guys, I'm in the Echoing Library for the first time. It is my understanding that I should check the statues.

I'm gonna check the poo poo out of this statue.

Wrong statues

Can anyone tell me how you get Weapon Tome IX in EO3? The only thing I can find online is that you get it from "a merchant in the south sea" but all the merchants just trade me stuff and don't give me the epic.

E: And as soon as I ask, the next one just gives it to me. Maybe it's just random.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 19, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wonder how a 5 Medic run of EO1 would go. Sounds a bit crazy, but it turns out that enemies do not have any Stun resistance in this game. At all. Not even Primevil. And Caduceus has a 75% chance to stun at level 10. :getin: (It only increases to 80% at level 15)

Regy Rusty posted:

Wrong statues

Can anyone tell me how you get Weapon Tome IX in EO3? The only thing I can find online is that you get it from "a merchant in the south sea" but all the merchants just trade me stuff and don't give me the epic.

E: And as soon as I ask, the next one just gives it to me. Maybe it's just random.

You need to talk to a Trade Ship near Batavia. Not trade with them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I wonder how a 5 Medic run of EO1 would go. Sounds a bit crazy, but it turns out that enemies do not have any Stun resistance in this game. At all. Not even Primevil. And Caduceus has a 75% chance to stun at level 10. :getin: (It only increases to 80% at level 15)
Oh god, and you would have Immunize...

It's probably doable, albeit murderously stupid :v:

Speaking of which, I finally got my 3ds back from friends - should I try the postgame with 5 Runemasters, or start another moronic run? :unsmigghh:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

theshim posted:

Oh god, and you would have Immunize...

It's probably doable, albeit murderously stupid :v:

Speaking of which, I finally got my 3ds back from friends - should I try the postgame with 5 Runemasters, or start another moronic run? :unsmigghh:

Both in that order.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

The penguin exploding on me was the first eo experience Id had in a few months. A good way to get back into the game.

It just occurred to me, I wonder if that is also a Monty Python reference like the Trade City of Aaeaa and the stuff from the one EO2 comic.
You know as in the "It is now 10:00, and time for the penguin on top of your television set to explolde." bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man I forgot how much of a smug dick Kujura is in the earlier parts of the game. I look forward to presumably getting to murder him this time around.

• Locked thread