Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Haha, TW with Shantiz can make their own shock combos. Sicknasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

NachtSieger posted:

It's above Dreadfell in the mountains there. If you hug all the walls you're supposed to be able to find it eventually. The Extra Dungeons addon kind of interferes with this, so if you have it, see if you can bother someone who is in a position to help teleport you inside.
No, I cleared the Halfling Ruins out, killed Subject Z, etc. No unlock, nothing new or special, and as a Shalore.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Other cool TW synergies: dimension step to switch places with your temporal clone. I think I neglected the defensive options early on, but they are quite good and work well together.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Comboing warp mines and wormhole is unlikely to ever get old

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

theshim posted:

No, I cleared the Halfling Ruins out, killed Subject Z, etc. No unlock, nothing new or special, and as a Shalore.

I cleared out the ruins, got a note about another complex and an invisible key to open it. Nothing new on my world map or on my list of landmarks after hugging all the mountains around the complex and dreadfell.

I do have the extra dungeons mod installed. Can I delete the worldmap file to force a spawn of the new dungeon?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

jetz0r posted:

I cleared out the ruins, got a note about another complex and an invisible key to open it. Nothing new on my world map or on my list of landmarks after hugging all the mountains around the complex and dreadfell.

I do have the extra dungeons mod installed. Can I delete the worldmap file to force a spawn of the new dungeon?

As someone who also has that mod and had the same problem, it's almost guaranteed to be causing it. I had to give my save game in to Stunt and be moved there specifically.

This actually happens with that mod almost every time a new dungeon space is added to the game; no idea if anyone is still updating it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Other cool TW synergies: dimension step to switch places with your temporal clone. I think I neglected the defensive options early on, but they are quite good and work well together.

Flinging your time dogs around corners into enemies you can see with Precognition works well for avoiding damage and named. At 25 with a total of 2/1/1 points into the tree, they do a solid job of clearing rooms and eating the long nasty opening volley from casters.

ProfessorCirno posted:

As someone who also has that mod and had the same problem, it's almost guaranteed to be causing it. I had to give my save game in to Stunt and be moved there specifically.
:(

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Died to Sassy Ca$$h. Man, I basically ate a 500 dmg nuke. Kinda lame, but oh well. I had no issues with her up till then, and she was on 4%.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

turevidar posted:

Could you replace some of the skills in existing trees instead of adding more trees to a class that already has a bunch of (bad) options?

I was totally overwhelmed starting out with wyrmics, until I saw that guides advise you to max bellowing roar and ignore the rest of the tree, max lightning speed and ignore the rest of the tree, maybe ignore the entire cold tree.

I made that guide a while ago. I'm pretty sure wyrmics have gotten 3 updates since then. It is outdated.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

theshim posted:

I cleared it as a Shalore and found a special boss one the third floor who dropped a scroll that made another dungeon appear on the map. The dungeon was cool, but it was kind of tough and the drops stunk so I don't think I'll be going back now that I have the unlock. Also, what's the deal with the Chonomancer starting dungeon having no drops at all?

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
http://te4.org/characters/155206/tome/180c606a-c615-4579-8e3e-31d02c9c13c3

Hey guys, I'm about to do Daikara for the first time and I heard it's going to be the most dangerous dungeon by far. I've been following the goon zone guide pretty religiously and I'd just like a checkup on my current gear. I have 1K to blow and I'm going to shop around before I go to Daikara. Anything I could or should do? And any advice on the gear?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Blackray Jack posted:

Hey guys, I'm about to do Daikara for the first time and I heard it's going to be the most dangerous dungeon by far. I've been following the goon zone guide pretty religiously and I'd just like a checkup on my current gear. I have 1K to blow and I'm going to shop around before I go to Daikara. Anything I could or should do? And any advice on the gear?

Get a better light somehow, some towns have light shops now. Try to shoot for a bright brass lantern of health, and failing that, just pack something better than what you have. Also try to replace that wizard regeneration infusion, if you can get a heroism that'd be super swell. Besides that, you look good to go, but you definitely need more blindside and reckless charge.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blackray Jack posted:

Daikara has a couple of things that make it dangerous.

First, the layout is really bad for a melee PC and good for ranged monsters, which many of them are. It's all long hallways and occasional open areas, and the open areas can be literally packed solid with monsters, including lightning mages and boulder throwers, who both deal very high burst damage and in the latter case have a powerful knockback effect as well. Try to fight at the corner of a tunnel so monsters have to come at you one at a time and only 2-3 of them can see you at once, at most.

It's one of the first areas where switching in resistance gear is a good idea; stun, confusion, lightning, and knockback resistance are good (in roughly that order of priority), plus maybe cold or fire depending on if you get normal or alternate Daikara. (If it's alternate you'll get a popup about the volcano erupting.) You don't need to cover all of these necessarily, just use gear that has those stats if you can.

Speaking of which, if you do get alternate Daikara, the final level (4) is one of the most dangerous areas in that tier. It's a big circular space with some cover but no real bottlenecks. Your best bet is to creep carefully around the edges picking off enemies a few at a time, and be ready to run for the stairs if you pull too large a group. If you get regular Daikara the final level is the same as the others and the ice boss generally isn't as dangerous as the fire one as long as you have some way to deal with being frozen. (A wild infusion should be fine.)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I reinstalled the game today but accidentally hit enter while entering my profile name, and now it's "JosephWongKSm" instead of "JosephWongKS". It's joined with the Steam account so all my unlocks are gone. Is there any way I can rename my account in ToME? I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but I still automatically get logged in as "JosephWongKSm".

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

I reinstalled the game today but accidentally hit enter while entering my profile name, and now it's "JosephWongKSm" instead of "JosephWongKS". It's joined with the Steam account so all my unlocks are gone. Is there any way I can rename my account in ToME? I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but I still automatically get logged in as "JosephWongKSm".

On the main menu can't you logout and then manually log in again with the right account name?

e: try going to your profile in the website and see if your steam account shows up (http://te4.org/users/josephwongks)

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 19, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I cleared it as a Shalore and found a special boss one the third floor who dropped a scroll that made another dungeon appear on the map. The dungeon was cool, but it was kind of tough and the drops stunk so I don't think I'll be going back now that I have the unlock. Also, what's the deal with the Chonomancer starting dungeon having no drops at all?
Yeah, on stuntofthelitter's advice I started up another character in Dev Mode and he popped up, so it looks like it was just the game being a jerk :( I guess I'll roll up another Shalore later to grab the unlock.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The combination of 1.3 and cheap Ashes expansion is making me want to get back into ToME. Debating between Storm Mage, Paradox Mage, or another tilt at the windmill that is Shadowblade.

Or maybe Demonologist.

theshim
May 1, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

The combination of 1.3 and cheap Ashes expansion is making me want to get back into ToME. Debating between Storm Mage, Paradox Mage, or another tilt at the windmill that is Shadowblade.

Or maybe Demonologist.
I've won with and greatly enjoyed all of the above except the new PM, and I'm enjoying that as well. You can't really go wrong here!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Apparently on wyrmics you can keep ice wall up forever and ever amen which creates some hilarity. It got bumped on the 1.3 Tier List to A

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

When I went through it yesterday, I had Alt Daikara with all the volcano poo poo and then got a thunderstorm on top of it. Blugh. I couldn't see poo poo.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Raitzeno posted:

When I went through it yesterday, I had Alt Daikara with all the volcano poo poo and then got a thunderstorm on top of it. Blugh. I couldn't see poo poo.

Disabling those atmospheric effects (as well as the day/night cycle) made this game soooo much better.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

So does this only consider the chest armor, or does it consider every piece of armor? like gloves, boots, head?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Skwee posted:

So does this only consider the chest armor, or does it consider every piece of armor? like gloves, boots, head?

chest only

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Awesome, thanks.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Skwee posted:

Awesome, thanks.

What difficulty are you on? Relying on defense doesn't work on Insane, and is marginal on nightmare, so that talent tree is pretty iffy. The scaling of accuracy far exceeds defense when enemies can put 8 or 9 talent levels into relevant skills and have attributes above 100, as in higher difficulties.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Virigoth posted:

Apparently on wyrmics you can keep ice wall up forever and ever amen which creates some hilarity. It got bumped on the 1.3 Tier List to A

It took people that long to notice that I did that? Now I'm sad. :negative:

(100% intended.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SageAcrin posted:

(100% intended.)

I remember when Crawl nerfed almost this exact spell/functionality to the ground.

I like your approach to game design.

e: well maybe not that similar, defensive entombing vs. transparent wall, but point stands

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 19, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Velius posted:

What difficulty are you on? Relying on defense doesn't work on Insane, and is marginal on nightmare, so that talent tree is pretty iffy. The scaling of accuracy far exceeds defense when enemies can put 8 or 9 talent levels into relevant skills and have attributes above 100, as in higher difficulties.

Only playing on normal right now, haven't even beaten the game at all.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SageAcrin posted:

(100% intended.)

so how does development on this game work? are there a bunch of contributors that balance/make changes and then darkgod compiles them all and decides what he likes and wants to keep?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I think people got on about that Tomb spell in Crawl in part because the original version was permanent and a learnable spell, IIRC.

I've noticed people tend to get really fixated on things that genuinely were overpowered at some point. (Still pretty sad. Just up the level, it's not like an L9 Earth/TMut support spell would be especially broken.)

Regardless ToME plays at a far higher level of power than Crawl does(OHKOs are not uncommon at higher difficulties), so the player needs tricks too.

Big worry for me was that Ice Wall would lead to degenerate strats(RE: I like enabling defensive strats, I don't like the player being stuck in place for a few hundred turns.), but I figure the fact that you can't entomb yourself in the damaging ice helps a lot there. It requires a space that isn't fully open to take control of, and a lot of ToME's most dangerous situations are when you lack that kind of control already.

Toss in the fact that, on Insane, you really need some way to get that guy over there throwing out 1200 damage arrows to bugger off and, well, it seemed like a good idea.

(Having said that, yeah, as a design habit I think in terms of large, flashy ideas for both sides of the field, and buffs rather than nerfs. ToME is definitely a good place for me to be doing things.)

quote:

so how does development on this game work? are there a bunch of contributors that balance/make changes and then darkgod compiles them all and decides what he likes and wants to keep?

Almost exactly that, yeah.

Everyone's had DarkGod shoot down ideas, too, he definitely keeps tabs on that.

(RIP my two extra difficulties ideas. Well, Nightmare's filling the role of a lower difficulty people actually play now. Also granted, the game really does have too many achievements for Steam, there's no arguing that adding 1000 more was in fact a poor idea in that regard...)

As a note though, DarkGod tends to do the lion share of the basic worldbuilding stuff. There're people that do some of it semi-seperately (The Temporals stuff is Edge's stuff, for instance, though I can't remember which of them had the idea for the Temporal town.), but they pretty much always end up bouncing ideas off DarkGod and talking it over with him a while.

For that matter, DarkGod tends to just code more than everyone else, too. Definitely his game, people just help. :v:

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 19, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I feel like at least half the reason people play Nightmare is because it has a much more reasonable XP curve. Playing on Normal means it takes so long to get to the point where classes and builds start to really define themselves, and god help you if you're playing an elf or undead or something.

e: Also man playing Paradox Mage has ruined me now that I'm playing other classes. I keep instinctively reaching for the "instant-speed perfectly accurate teleport available from level 1 on a ten turn cooldown" button that isn't there.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 19, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What was changed about Wrymic

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Professor Moriarty posted:

Disabling those atmospheric effects (as well as the day/night cycle) made this game soooo much better.

i looked at a bunch of options and i didnt find one to do this where is it

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What was changed about Wrymic

Full changelist, from the commit;

-Cold Drake

Ice Claw: Always applies Ice damage instead of Cold. Changed from 1 range to a (1, 3) scaling radius cone. Damage is raised from (1.525, 2.025 to 1.6, 2.3). Now grants +4 to all three saves on talent level.
Icy Skin: Armor and Cold damage retribution changed from (Wil, 10, 700)/10 and (Wil, 6, 600)/10 to talentMindDamage(5, 25) and talentMindDamage(10, 30) respectively-values are overall lower. Added a (combatTalentLimit 1, 0.02, 0.10)% boost to max life while active. Sustain cost lowered to 10 from 30.
Ice Wall: Cooldown changed from flat 30 to (combatTalentLimit 5, 30, 10). Walls deal (3, 15) TalentMindDamage in Ice to enemies within (TalentScale 1, 2), meaning at cap it is a fairly solid DoT as well as a wall. (Does not self or ally damage)
Ice Breath: Damage boosted from (30, 430) to (30, 500). Uses new damage type ICE_SLOW, which slows enemies by 20% in addition to the normal Ice effects.

-Fire Drake

Swapped positions of Wing Buffet and Bellowing Roar.

Wing Buffet: Cooldown reduced to 8(from 10), Equi cost reduced to 5(from 7). Deals (1.1, 1.6) WeaponTalentDamage(instead of 0.8*Physical Power damage). Range lowered from (5, 9) to (3, 6). Passively raises physical power and accuracy by 4.
Bellowing Roar: Equilibrium cost raised from 3 to 8. Confusion strength lowered from 40+(6*TL) to 20+(6*TL); Ends up the same at TL5 though, due to the cap. Damage slightly lowered(from 40, 400 to 30, 380).
Devouring Flame: No longer harms the caster. Cooldown reduced to 20(was 35), Equi reduced to 6(was 10). Deals (15, 60) Mindpower(was formerly TalentStatDamage Wil(15, 120)), overall marginally better I believe. Radius changed from (2) to (2, 5 combatTalentScale, 5 at cap 2 at min). Now uses the new FIRE_DRAIN damage type(same as Fire but heals the user 10% of the damage it deals). Duration raised from (3, 7) to (5, 9).
Fire Breath: Now deals (30, 650), was (30, 550). Now uses the new FIRE_STUN damage type, which has a 25% chance of attempting to apply a 5 damage per turn/three turn Fireshock, and otherwise functions as FIREBURN damage type.

-Higher Draconic

Prismatic Slash: Now adds a ((2, 10, 0.5 TalentScale) /100, 12%~ at 6.5 or so) passive attack/mind speed bonus, old save bonus removed. Weapon hit damage raised from (1.2, 2.0) to (1.6, 2.3), burst damage remains the same. Now uses new FIRE_STUN and ICE_SLOW for the fire/ice bursts. Equi cost lowered to 10(from 20), Cooldown lowered to 12(from 16).
Venomous Breath: Changed from Insidious Poison to Crippling Poison. Effect of the poison is (50, 10, 20 TalentScale) chance to make enemies fail complex actions. Damage raised from (60, 650) to (60. 750). Now passively raises nature damage by 4% and nature resistance by 3%.
Wyrmic Guile: Now lowers the cooldown of (Fire, Cold, Lightning, Corrosive, Venomous, and Sand Breath) by math.min(8, 1, 6 TalentScale), in addition to previous effects. (In practice, this halves the breath CDs when capped.)
Chromatic Fury: Unchanged.

Sand Drake:

Swallow: Cooldown changed from (10) to (TalentLimit 4, 10, 7), so 10->7 with leveling. Damage raised from (1, 1.5) to (1.6, 2.5)-heavy raise is due to its off element Nature damage. Now passively raises Physical and Mental Critical rates by (2, 10 TalentScale).
Quake: Damage changed from (0.8*Physical Power) to (1.3, 2.1) TalentWeaponDamage. Cooldown lowered from 30 to 20. Knockback changed to 3.
Burrow: Duration drastically lowered(from 8, 20 to 3, 7). Now grants MindTalentDamage(15, 30) APR and (15, 30)/2 physical resistance penetration while active. Equilibrium cost lowered to 15 from 50, Cooldown changed to (10, 40, 15) from 30. Can be used instantly at TL5.
Sand Breath: Duration of blindness lowered from (3, 7) to (3, 4). Damage raised from (30, 400) to (30, 480).

Storm Drake:

Lightning Speed: Cooldown changed from 26 to 25(Odd number was the only reason for the tweak). Duration changed from (1.1, 2.6) to (1.1, 3.1). Now grants a passive (0.7, 0.08, 0.40) Movement speed bonus(45%~ at 6.5).
Static Field: Radius changed from (1) to (TalentScale 1, 6). Now deals (20, 160) Mindpower lightning damage in addition to the current life drain. Damage penalty on Elite Bosses changed from (current life drain/3) to (current life drain/2.5), a small boost against the final bosses but still lower than every other enemy in the game.
Tornado: No longer can self-damage. Projectile speed raised from 2 to 4. Now hits radius (2, 4) instead of Radius 1, and the target is now stunned for (3, 6 TalentScale) turns instead of 4 flatrate.
Lightning Breath: Damage raised from (30, 500) to (30, 670). Daze rate changed from flat 25% to (Mindpower 10, 30)+20%, generally 25 to 50% based on levels and Mindpower.

Venom Drake:

Acidic Spray: Now grants 4 Mindpower per level, passively.
Corrosive Mist: Equilibrium cost lowered to 10, Cooldown to 15. Damage raised slightly from 10, 70 to 15, 70.
Dissolve: Unchanged.
Corrosive Breath: Damage raised from (30, 420) to (30, 520). Disarm chance changed from flat 25% to (Mindpower 10, 30)+20%, 25-50% range in general.

(Short version: Lots of little things that constantly add up. It's not a huge flashy overhaul, just basically everything is better.)

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

jsoh posted:

i looked at a bunch of options and i didnt find one to do this where is it

Under Video Options, disable "OpenGL Shaders: Volumetric"

Under the Gameplay tab in Game Options, disable "Day/Night Light Cycle" and maybe "Weather Effects".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got this off the steam sale and it seems very fun. I'm going to roll a Bulwark first only because the Stonewarden seems a bit complicated for a first character. I noticed there was no guide for the Bulwark but generally it's a tank right?

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Ok so I'm in level 3 of Daikara and just hit level twenty. Where do I find this Fungus that the guide mentions as well as this antimagic thing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok so I'm in level 3 of Daikara and just hit level twenty. Where do I find this Fungus that the guide mentions as well as this antimagic thing?

Visit the town of Zigur and visit a building towards the north side of town. You'll get thrown into an arena and any arcane-powered items will be stripped from your character, and you'll have to fight a series of spellcasting enemies. If you survive you'll get the Antimagic tree. After that, if you've cleared the air elementals in the town of Derth you can talk to the Ziguranth leader to get a quest to kill Urkis, the Tempest. That'll unlock a new dungeon not far from Daikara. If you kill him and come back and report it, they'll give you the Fungus tree as a reward.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Got this off the steam sale and it seems very fun. I'm going to roll a Bulwark first only because the Stonewarden seems a bit complicated for a first character. I noticed there was no guide for the Bulwark but generally it's a tank right?

Been a while since I played but yeah, although they have pretty great single target burst damage as well. Keep in mind that a lot of Bulwarks' abilities scale off of your shield's offensive stats, so always keep an eye out for more powerful shields. In the beginning shields with flat elemental damage are especially good since a lot of your shield skills hit several times at once and every individual hit also gets whatever extra damage your shield is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Can anyone give some tips on the new Temporal Warden? Everything seems good, not sure where I should be focusing points.

Also to anyone on the fence, this game is incredible and has kept my attention for far longer than it should have.

• Locked thread