Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Probably.

In-story, he took some evil energy with him. Which he tried to counterbalance with Good from Batman of all people, as well as Chaos from Etrigan to remake the world. We end up with a massive dream sequence where everything starts good but ends up going horribly wrong.

Might have wanted a better source of Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Bloodly posted:

Maybe it's some inner fanboyism, but...

This sort of thing is something you don't see often. The man is utterly self-assured in all situations. He's not active often, because why should he be? And yet you'll also see him walking around and being philosophical. He is always screwing with someone, somewhere, at some time. You could not easily see Luthor doing this to Superman even if his ID were known. Nor Joker with Batman. Kingpin MIGHT with Daredevil.

I'm always reminded of the time Anarky of all people went to Apokalips, and Darkseid...gives him the time of day. Given the reason(Anarky wants to hear 'the nature of evil' and decides to go right to the top-there's also another reason that doesn't get revealed till later.) I both can and can't fault him.

That's totally Original Kirby Darkseid. He'll freak out some random grandpa and laugh his rear end off about it.

(both from "Forever People" #4, I think)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I gotta say, Darkseid is great when he's written as just a regular rear end in a top hat who just so happens to wield the powers of uncreation and can unravel someone at an atomic level out of boredom.

But instead he torments a guy in a wheelchair by moving the item he wants in a grocery store to a higher shelf, and scares the poo poo out of children at Disneyland because the juxtaposition of a literal avatar of destruction standing in line for the teacups ride amuses him.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

John Dyne posted:

I gotta say, Darkseid is great when he's written as just a regular rear end in a top hat who just so happens to wield the powers of uncreation and can unravel someone at an atomic level out of boredom.

But instead he torments a guy in a wheelchair by moving the item he wants in a grocery store to a higher shelf, and scares the poo poo out of children at Disneyland because the juxtaposition of a literal avatar of destruction standing in line for the teacups ride amuses him.

Isn't that taking place in what is essentially an open air torture chamber disguised as a theme park owned and operated by Darkseid, and only the children can see it for what it is?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Unlucky7 posted:

Isn't that taking place in what is essentially an open air torture chamber disguised as a theme park owned and operated by Darkseid, and only the children can see it for what it is?

The Master "Scrambler" will distort this image into a "Funny Panel!"*

* for certain values of "funny"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mister Mind posted:

Fine.

(JLI something-or-other)
Its kind of weird hearing Darkside being snarky and doubly weird when you hear it with the Michael Ironside voice

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

achillesforever6 posted:

Its kind of weird hearing Darkside being snarky and doubly weird when you hear it with the Michael Ironside voice

Could be Frank Welker's Dr. Claw voice (which he also used for Darkseid on the Superfriends).

John Dyne posted:

It'd be amusing, I think, to have an issue or two where Darkseid just walks across America. Just walks. Not a single thing the superheroes can bust him for (and some argument to keep them from simply kicking him out of the country, possibly 'if he's here, we can watch him'). Light conversation with the citizenry. Purchasing coffee at a roadside stand. Spend the night at a motel. And all the while the collective law enforcement and vigilante community is going 'what is he up to what is he up to'

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darkseid is the kind of dude that the mere existence of makes it hard for me to believe the DC universe can exist in a recognizable shape compared to our own. There's a guy out there who's basically the Space Devil, is theoretically powerful enough to mop the floor with every hero on earth, and he's pretty publicly known. You'd think that'd impact society a little.

I mean you can make the same argument for a character like Galactus, but his stories actually do have people flipping their poo poo and re-evaluating their worldview when confronted with his existence.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Darkseid is the kind of dude that the mere existence of makes it hard for me to believe the DC universe can exist in a recognizable shape compared to our own. There's a guy out there who's basically the Space Devil, is theoretically powerful enough to mop the floor with every hero on earth, and he's pretty publicly known. You'd think that'd impact society a little.

I mean you can make the same argument for a character like Galactus, but his stories actually do have people flipping their poo poo and re-evaluating their worldview when confronted with his existence.

There are thousands of atomic bombs (that we know of) currently trained on major cities around the world. Their launch and safeguards are out-dated at best. Laboratories around the world are creating the next plague with the sole purpose of using it against other nations. People know this.

And yet, you don't see people losing their poo poo about it. We humans have an incredible capability to not care about stuff that doesn't immediately affect us and/or isn't easily visible.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lurdiak posted:

Darkseid isn't thought of as the ever-present Space Devil because 1) his attacks on Earth are few and far between in a society that's pretty much in danger of extinction every week, and 2) he's got an entire planet full of 'willing' servants whom I honestly think are willing because they're the most selfless characters in the DC Universe. Darkseid would be blowing up planets by the dozens *daily* if he didn't have billions of slaves willing to suffer his evil whimsy. He's spoiled.

I also think it's a vastly under-explored phenomena that's only been touched upon by that "Luthor" GN a while back...in a world with metahumans, why even *bother* being human? It makes you wonder if there's honestly just a cabal of telepaths in both DC and Marvel's respective universes that pull a Maxwell Lord on the entire population pretty much every day to keep them from just swan diving off the nearest skyscraper rather than wait for the world-ending catastrophe of that particular week.

And yeah, also the human capacity for pulling a Lego Movie and having "everything is awesome" playing in their heads. =/

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lurdiak posted:

It also helps that the New Gods exist and are trying to hold him in check.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

However, they also have Superman, who can sometimes be Space Jesus.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Speaking of Apokolips and all things related, evidently when Parademons talk, they sound like this:

Source: Azrael #34, supposedly.

I wonder if that's Apokoliptian for "I'm gonna become someone's new avatar."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This one time Anarky and Batzrael met up. If they'd happened to both be on Apokolips, it would have been the most 90s thing ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FredMSloniker posted:

It'd be amusing, I think, to have an issue or two where Darkseid just walks across America. Just walks. Not a single thing the superheroes can bust him for (and some argument to keep them from simply kicking him out of the country, possibly 'if he's here, we can watch him'). Light conversation with the citizenry. Purchasing coffee at a roadside stand. Spend the night at a motel. And all the while the collective law enforcement and vigilante community is going 'what is he up to what is he up to'

I can imagine something like that one scene in the gas station with the old attendant from No Country For Old Men, except Darkseid is just being uncomfortably pleasant instead of terrifyingly unsettling.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jerusalem posted:

I can imagine something like that one scene in the gas station with the old attendant from No Country For Old Men, except Darkseid is just being uncomfortably pleasant instead of terrifyingly unsettling.

For Darkseid uncomfortably pleasant is terrifyingly unsettling. That said I would totally read a 'Darkseid American Road Trip' mini series or single issue.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

That was the first piece of furniture that we ever saw him sit on

New Gods 2

Nice helmet on your elite guard, Darkseid. Was your usual armor designer in another castle?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Darkseid isn't thought of as the ever-present Space Devil because 1) his attacks on Earth are few and far between in a society that's pretty much in danger of extinction every week

I think this is a major point; Darkseid doing large-scale attacks on Earth didn't happen until long after Kirby stopped working on the Fourth World stuff. At most there were the Justifiers and that carnival.

I think when Darkseid was brought back for the "Super Powers" line was the first time there was an actual attack.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Someone post the rest of Loki's subtitled adventures.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I know there are plenty of books about how regular people deal with living in superhero universes like Marvels and Frontline, but has anyone ever done a book where the entire populace is living in a constant nightmare state? If the poo poo that happens in the Marvel/DC universe happened here people would lose their minds 24/7 and live in a constant state of terror.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

zoux posted:

I know there are plenty of books about how regular people deal with living in superhero universes like Marvels and Frontline, but has anyone ever done a book where the entire populace is living in a constant nightmare state? If the poo poo that happens in the Marvel/DC universe happened here people would lose their minds 24/7 and live in a constant state of terror.

Civil War was probably the closest, or the whole Mutant Registration Act/Sentinals 'for your own protection'/Concentration Camps progression, for America at least.

If superhumans showed up in America, they'd be nationalized (de facto or de jure) or they'd be Gitmo'd. America has a long history of both.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

TheCenturion posted:

Civil War was probably the closest, or the whole Mutant Registration Act/Sentinals 'for your own protection'/Concentration Camps progression, for America at least.

If superhumans showed up in America, they'd be nationalized (de facto or de jure) or they'd be Gitmo'd. America has a long history of both.

Believe that was the premise of the tabletop RPG Brave New World.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

zoux posted:

We ARE living in a constant nightmare state of purposely induced fear, thanks to 9/11 and the power it afforded the government and MIC. If the poo poo that happened in the Marvel or DC universes happened in real life, we'd be just completely blase about it. "Oh, the Statue of Liberty was melted into slag...again? Yawn."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Believe that was the premise of the tabletop RPG Brave New World.

Ray Winninger's Underground is another classic of the genre.

Edit: And :tviv: the whole series is available on DTRPG.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 20, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Midniter posted:

We ARE living in a constant nightmare state of purposely induced fear, thanks to 9/11 and the power it afforded the government and MIC. If the poo poo that happened in the Marvel or DC universes happened in real life, we'd be just completely blase about it. "Oh, the Statue of Liberty was melted into slag...again? Yawn."

Bro if Dormammu was stalking the earth eating souls and Galactus was an annual problem death by bleeding ulcer would be the number one cause of mortality.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ghostlight posted:

Pop culture references are bullshit

[Deadpool #26]

Oh goddamnit how in the gently caress did I miss that?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheCenturion posted:

Honestly the thing that makes me the most mad about sentinels is because robots are cool but noooo now Mutants are gonna hate every Robot just because a few of them are single minded killing machines, made so because a few mutants are single minded killing machines.

It's a vicious cycle of mutant on robot racism.

zoux posted:

Bro if Dormammu was stalking the earth eating souls and Galactus was an annual problem death by bleeding ulcer would be the number one cause of mortality.

That's not stress, that's the alien parasites.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kwyndig posted:

For Darkseid uncomfortably pleasant is terrifyingly unsettling. That said I would totally read a 'Darkseid American Road Trip' mini series or single issue.

I feel like someone should edit that Superman run where he did just that, but replace all instances of Superman with Darkseid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

zoux posted:

:flashfact: Ulcers aren't caused by stress, but by a specific set of bacterial infections. The guy who discovered this won the Nobel prize for it several decades ago.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I feel like someone should edit that Superman run where he did just that, but replace all instances of Superman with Darkseid.

Instead of 'good common American folk' I'd imagine Darkseid seeking out people to speak with like David Duke, Lyndon LaRouche, and Cliven Bundy.

"You've been a nuisance to men of power for decades, Mr. LaRouche. You're living proof to the testament of anti-life, as you basically are against everything everyone logical is *for*, and thus you have lived well into your nineties. Bravo, sir."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 20, 2015

VinzKlortho
Dec 27, 2004
Are you the Gatekeeper?

Discendo Vox posted:

:flashfact: Ulcers aren't caused by stress, but by a specific set of bacterial infections. The guy who discovered this won the Nobel prize for it several decades ago.

And he proved it by swallowing a culture of the bacteria and getting an ulcer from it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've posted this before, but Darkseid and Thanos carpooling:
http://plasticfarm.com/?p=2059

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Random unsourced without context.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cool, the Pre-Crisis version of the Injustice: Gods Among Us Hype Pig.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Random unsourced without context.

Does anyone here actually have the Christian tracts that were done with the Archie characters? Those seem like they'd be fertile material.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

Could be Frank Welker's Dr. Claw voice (which he also used for Darkseid on the Superfriends).

Doubly so because when Superman did it, he spent the entire time being an rear end in a top hat to everyone he encountered.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Gladiator gives himself a hernia lifting up a cart. Truly he is the greatest warrior of the Sh'iar.

]

Source: Gladiator/Supreme #1, art by Ed Benes

from my review: http://thepouchfiles.blogspot.com/2015/03/review-gladiatorsupreme-1.html

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Woulda never guessed Benes. No butts in frame.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Does anyone here actually have the Christian tracts that were done with the Archie characters? Those seem like they'd be fertile material.

That panel looked more like a gang-bang than an exorcism.

Yes, there are a few of those tracts on google, and they are all weird.

Featuring Rapey Jesus!

In conclusion...

Shut your mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Woulda never guessed Benes. No butts in frame.

Yeah, he really half-assed it there.