Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm about 15 minutes into v/h/s/3 and i can kinda hardly believe how bad it is, this thing i'm watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm about 15 minutes into v/h/s/3 and i can kinda hardly believe how bad it is, this thing i'm watching

It's definitely not the best of the movies but I liked the 2nd and 3rd segments

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you're only that far then you've only seen bad. The wrap around is amongst the worst found footage movies I've ever seen (and you know I've seen some lovely found footage movies). It will actually manage to get much worse before the movie is over. The first proper segment gets better. It's really badly made but it gets so silly that it's hard to hate.

I also feel obligated to say "stop posting and watch the drat movie" even though I know you won't listen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

finally watched Foxcatcher. pretty much the textbook definition of a movie i respect more than i enjoy watching. that final scene is great, though. Whiplash, Coherence, and Foxcatcher got the three best closing scenes of 2014.

i'd also like to take this opportunity to poo poo on people who complain about spoilers in movies based on true stories, so, Foxcatcher is about a schizophrenic guy who shot an olympic wrestler

It's the movie version of The Jinx that everybody loves so drat much.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm talking about (and i know i just said spoilers for this movie are bullshit but i'ma spoil this part anyway) the final final scene, when we see Mark with the shaved head going into an MMA fight. it's such a perfect way of showing how he winds up; we don't get any weepy scenes of him crying over his brother, just him as this empty shell going into a cage match, perfectly following up on the scene earlier where him and some of the other Foxcatcher Ranch guys are watching a former wrestler doing MMA and lamenting at how he lowered himself to that. such a great, concise way of ending the film by showing and not telling. probably my favorite scene in the whole movie.

That was my least favorite part of the whole movie because it's just so bald. It's one of those movies I can point to a million individual scenes that I just love, but that's the only one I actively dislike. You could not be more wrong about everything, I can't even believe it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Certainly not in your posting!

Gahaha.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 20, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

If you're only that far then you've only seen bad. The wrap around is amongst the worst found footage movies I've ever seen (and you know I've seen some lovely found footage movies). It will actually manage to get much worse before the movie is over. The first proper segment gets better. It's really badly made but it gets so silly that it's hard to hate.

just finished the magician one. it was kind of endearingly terrible. like if the crew of a SyFy original tried to make an episode of Tales from the Crypt. i like how in the big climax they're just waving the camera around and sticking it at weird angles so it looks like a found footage movie even though the found footage conceit has clearly fallen apart by that point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You could not be more wrong about everything, I can't even believe it.

hey, come on now, i probably could, give me another chance

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Peccadillo posted:

I just found out a couple dudes I know from high school are extremely famous and have a double platinum album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZpgKgWwLo

It's a weird discovery, I should keep in better touch with people

That's cool and all, but it's worth noting that by a "double platinum album" you mean double platinum in Australia, and ARIA Platinum is only like 70k copies.

Still better than anything I'll ever put out though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For me, the emblematic scene of Foxcatcher is Channing Tatum crumbling up dry ramen noodles into Tupperware, and then dousing it with hot sauce.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like the part of Foxcatcher where it suddenly from almost out of nowhere seems to become Behind the Candelabra.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

I like the part of Foxcatcher where it suddenly from almost out of nowhere seems to become Behind the Candelabra.

It is the sequel to Behind the Candelabra.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Only 2 of the segments are worth watching at all: Bonestorm and the one about the parallel dimension.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's cool and all, but it's worth noting that by a "double platinum album" you mean double platinum in Australia, and ARIA Platinum is only like 70k copies.

Still better than anything I'll ever put out though.

No. A "platinum" album means either a million sales of a song/album or a certain million amount of views on Vevo. "Platinum" is not anything but a sales term, but it's one which's wicked important to the global pop-music market.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

so is the parallel dimension one supposed to have subtitles or not, because at first i just figured it was supposed to be unsubtitled but when you turn on the closed captioning on netflix it has the english language subs

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

so is the parallel dimension one supposed to have subtitles or not, because at first i just figured it was supposed to be unsubtitled but when you turn on the closed captioning on netflix it has the english language subs

Yes it's supposed to have subtitles.

Edit: actually thinking about it I don't remember.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Peccadillo posted:

No. A "platinum" album means either a million sales of a song/album or a certain million amount of views on Vevo. "Platinum" is not anything but a sales term, but it's one which's wicked important to the global pop-music market.

That's RIAA Platinum. Peking Duk has a single that went ARIA double platinum and another that went ARIA triple platinum. ARIA is the Australian verison of the RIAA and measures sales of records in Australia. ARIA gives platinum cert at 70k copies.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 20, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

Yes it's supposed to have subtitles.

Edit: actually thinking about it I don't remember.

They're speaking Spanish entirely throughout the whole segment, of course it's supposed to have subtitles.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

They're speaking Spanish entirely throughout the whole segment, of course it's supposed to have subtitles.

yeah it became clear after like 5 minutes that this was netflix fuckin up and not an artistic choice.

parallel dimension segment had its moments but got a bit too rapey for me near the end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What kind of people are these?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I don't care if the movie is based on a true story or not, don't spoil movies here. Foxcatcher's story is not something that 80% of people going into will know. It's not something like United 93.

Also do not freak out to the max if someone does spoil something, and don't quote the spoiler.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 20, 2015

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's RIAA Platinum. Peking Duk has a single that went ARIA double platinum and another that went ARIA triple platinum. ARIA is the Australian verison of the RIAA and measures sales of records in Australia. ARIA gives platinum cert at 70k copies.

I'll concede, I got no knowledge of a seperate platinum cert.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I really didn't like Foxcatcher at all. It felt like it was going for this dour, oppressive atmosphere but it fell flat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

I don't care if the movie is based on a true story or not, don't spoil movies here. Foxcatcher's story is not something that 80% of people going into will know. It's not something like United 93.

Also do not freak out to the max if someone does spoil something, and don't quote the spoiler.

I thought he did spoil it, unless you're mad at me for spoiling the hot sauce on dry ramen lifehack.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

It is the sequel to Behind the Candelabra.

I've sort of resisted watching Foxcatcher for no reason, but this sold me

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I thought he did spoil it, unless you're mad at me for spoiling the hot sauce on dry ramen lifehack.

Huh? I was just making a post in general, I dealt with the two people of whom I am referring to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

Huh? I was just making a post in general, I dealt with the two people of who am I referring.

My bad.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

From above the world of Cars ... United 93

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

I've sort of resisted watching Foxcatcher for no reason, but this sold me

Just know that he is using "sequel" like SMG uses "sequel " as in it's a very different, unrelated movie that hits on similar themes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

Just know that he is using "sequel" like SMG uses "sequel " as in it's a very different, unrelated movie that hits on similar themes.

We're all adults here.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

We're all adults here.

That is an assumption I don't think anyone should make about genchat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
YTOTD is my upload of Year Of The Sex Olympics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPHqPP-SP08

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TrixRabbi posted:

I really didn't like Foxcatcher at all. It felt like it was going for this dour, oppressive atmosphere but it fell flat.

It's a really dull movie. It definitely goes for a dour atmosphere in terms of its lightning and the silence. It's a good story, it's really well acted, but I don't think I'd ever watch this again and I really wouldn't recommend it to many people.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

I feel like people use it this way more than the standard definition here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I feel like people use it this way more than the standard definition here.

Seems logical, the only time you'd need to stipulate that Aliens is the sequel to Alien is if you were writing the Simple Wikipedia page on it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It 's an odd definition though because actual sequels tend to not actually fit within that definition. Like a good sequel or remake isn't just the themes and ideas of the original again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
But what I'm referring to are good sequels, which diverge interestingly from the themes and ideas of the original films.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Short of the Day
AWOL
A lesbian short about someone about to be deployed to war. Pretty much the most Sundancey short ever but it's still good.
https://vimeo.com/25800076
Warning: mildly :nws:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Fat Lou posted:

Now for a question: Do I watch A Most Violent Year, The Gunman, or Run All Night this Saturday afternoon. I have not watched a trailer of any of them.

A Most Violent Year

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maarak posted:

A Most Violent Year

Seconded.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

VHS 3 is awful, Year of the Sex Olympics owns. Penismightier out.

e- also AWOL looks good, I'ma watch that.

e- AWOL ain't no good

penismightier fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 20, 2015

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

axleblaze posted:

Short of the Day
AWOL
A lesbian short about someone about to be deployed to war. Pretty much the most Sundancey short ever but it's still good.
https://vimeo.com/25800076
Warning: mildly :nws:

This is just the most charmingly tiny little movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Me today: Your favorite song of 2014 will have Zak de la Rocha on it
Me 10 years ago: Haha really? Rage is cool, but i figure I'll grow out of that poo poo in 10 years right?
Me today: No, the opposite

• Locked thread