Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I got blamed for a food shortage by buying Asharu's ~200 food at $1 a piece.

Maybe don't offer your planet's entire food supply for sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
"Sorry Timmy, we sold all your Space Lunchables to the scary armada."

"Can I have some lobster?"

"Silly Timmy, you can't eat that! Now we get to starve until someone exploits our crippling lack of infrastructure/foresight."

:smith:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty funny, and accurate.

In other news, gently caress Clarents forever.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any ballistic-oriented ships that are useful against Templars? I've really only had success with things that can carry autopulse lasers.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What does it mean when you get secure comm link access with a group?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

What does it mean when you get secure comm link access with a group?

Essentially I think they'll send you updates from their relays, similar to if you put a comm sniffer on them.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I think it means that you basically get a free "bug" on their comm satellite; you get all of the information you would from a comm sniffer, but none of the associated risks.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

I think it means that you basically get a free "bug" on their comm satellite; you get all of the information you would from a comm sniffer, but none of the associated risks.

Huh, I've never done that. So just better access to bounties and such?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

SquadronROE posted:

Huh, I've never done that. So just better access to bounties and such?

Imminent food shortages will pop up on your feed if you're in the same system as a relay, so you can do more "speculating" ahead of time and make some serious bank. You will get found out eventually so don't be bugging people and screwing them on food if you plan on making nice or getting fancy ships from them.

e: http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Comm_relay

Confirmed no bounties, it's just for food shortages.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 21, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So what's the recommended mod list looking like now that the version seems stable for the next half a year?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I added everything from the Starsector + compat list (save for Nexerelin), and it all worked well for awhile, but it now seems my save has corrupted...

Ah well, time to restart and hope it doesn't happen again.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

McGiggins posted:

I added everything from the Starsector + compat list (save for Nexerelin), and it all worked well for awhile, but it now seems my save has corrupted...

Ah well, time to restart and hope it doesn't happen again.

Did you change it over to 64 bit and increase the memory limit? If you don't, the save will always corrupt pretty quickly.

edit: but only if you have a ton of mods like that.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 22, 2015

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Is there a dummy's guide to that poo poo because I looked it up once and I think my brain turned off.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

feedtheid posted:

Is there a dummy's guide to that poo poo because I looked it up once and I think my brain turned off.

Go here grab jre-7u75-windows-x64.tar.gz, extract it with 7zip, winrar or whatever, dump the contents in /starsector/jre/. Then open up the vmparams file in /starsector/ and change -Xms512m -Xmx1024m to something like -Xms3g -Xmx6g (assuming you have at least 8 GB of ram, adjust to suit your machine).

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Is there any reason not to get JRE 8?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tanith posted:

Is there any reason not to get JRE 8?

Posts on the Starsector forums indicate that you need JRE 7 but I couldn't tell you why.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I loaded up JRE 8 and haven't ran into any trouble. I assume the posts on the forums are just a bit outdated.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

dis astranagant posted:

Go here grab jre-7u75-windows-x64.tar.gz, extract it with 7zip, winrar or whatever, dump the contents in /starsector/jre/. Then open up the vmparams file in /starsector/ and change -Xms512m -Xmx1024m to something like -Xms3g -Xmx6g (assuming you have at least 8 GB of ram, adjust to suit your machine).

Even this isn't idiot proof enough for me. I keep getting the error Fatal: Index: 0, Size: 0

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

dis astranagant posted:

Im not sure merging jre folders is a good idea.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Salean posted:

Even this isn't idiot proof enough for me. I keep getting the error Fatal: Index: 0, Size: 0

Get the installer and install it on your machine first. Then copy the contents of the install directory to the jre folder like the other guy said.

Also, you are running a 64-bit OS right?

Mindblast posted:

Delete the original contents first then paste the new files into it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mindblast posted:

You can delete the contents of the old one if you feel like it but the filenames are all the same so you can just overwrite everything.

There's zero reason to run the installer and gently caress up whatever Java you were already running when you can just dump the jre tarball in place of the years out of date Java provided.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 22, 2015

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Which mod do I use to pick factions at the start of the game?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Does anyone have any good uses for Templar weapons on non-Templar ships? They all seem impractical to use with their enormous ordanance and flux costs, and Templar ships aren't really fun to fly yourself.

edit: aside from the clarents which you can stick on anything and have a good time with.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Shyrka posted:

Templar ships aren't really fun to fly yourself.

:stare:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Shyrka posted:

Does anyone have any good uses for Templar weapons on non-Templar ships? They all seem impractical to use with their enormous ordanance and flux costs, and Templar ships aren't really fun to fly yourself.

edit: aside from the clarents which you can stick on anything and have a good time with.

I've gotten good use out of the Galatian cannon or whatever it's called. It's fairly flux efficient for a Templar weapon and is pretty good vs shields.

Other than that, I suggest using Merced/Pax Cannons and Rhon lasers on otherwise low flux ships like carriers and missile spam cruisers for close in defense. The Longinus looks nice on paper but the flux cost is so ridiculous you'd probably have to make it the primary armament.

On that note, Ballista LRM spam seems to be really powerful and is very pretty to watch, especially when combined with other missile spam like Achilles MRMs. Also provides great cover for my fighters and bombers to do their work.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ballista LRMs are amazing. I've got them on almost all of my ships in some way or another. Even if they don't do enough damage en masse to destroy a ship, it keeps their PD weapons busy while other things go in and kill them. Plus the AI has to try to turn to take the missiles on the shields, letting the rest of my ships flank and do damage. Even my Caesar can flank and pound away with it's proton beam cannons.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Salean posted:

If you're using mods, be sure that you've got all the things those mods requires like Shaderlib and Lazylib.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Salean posted:

be absolutely sure you're running the latest version of the game. That's what was prompting that error for me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It also happens if you're running mods and don't have lazylib/shaderlib enabled.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

redid some BRDY hullmods today. Aint they cute.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Thanks for the help, it was an outdated lazylib file that was screwing things up.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
The Longinus is hilarious on the Asura though. It will one shot most ships.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

A new weapon in the nearly done update of Exigency.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

dis astranagant posted:

You can delete the contents of the old one if you feel like it but the filenames are all the same so you can just overwrite everything.

There's zero reason to run the installer and gently caress up whatever Java you were already running when you can just dump the jre tarball in place of the years out of date Java provided.

Ah every single file matches? Good to know. I just renamed the game's internal old jre folder and made a new one in its place to be sure. Guess that was unneeded. :v:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MesoTroniK posted:

This loving owns.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Holy poo poo, that is cool as hell.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

MesoTroniK posted:

I wanna see that scoop up a whole torpedo salvo from a Dagger wing.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MesoTroniK posted:

Does it turn enemy missiles friendly and reflect bullets or is there some other magic behind it?

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Michaellaneous posted:

Does it turn enemy missiles friendly and reflect bullets or is there some other magic behind it?

It acts exactly like the Repulsor / Burst Repulsor ship systems, but projected at the enemy as an attack rather than a short range active defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
These Templars are retardedly overpowered, and it greatly saddens me that I cannot start on their side, carrying holy war to the infidels.

Currently, they have a two-way overfuck on Jangala, with a few holy crusade fleets orbiting the planet, crushing Onslaught fleets left and right with nary a loss.

This is a two-way overfuck because the there is another faction I cannot currently remember also carrying out a siege on Jangala at the same time.

I have never seen things so cheap on the market there, and yet I have never been so content to just watch the Hegemony get so massively shut down beyond all recovery.