Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

noirstronaut posted:

It's weird how after 7 years you never set up a keyboard shortcut to avoid this

I shouldn't have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

FishBulb posted:

I shouldn't have to

If it was an issue, you'd look for a solution.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

It's weird how after 7 years you never set up a keyboard shortcut to avoid this

I was completely unaware that this existed. So it overrides the default autocorrect if you set up shortcuts?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Kind of. Like I am cool and I set "jesus" to just be lowercase because I refuse to respect our lord and savior. However it only works for words without spaces so it will still change things it detects across spans of multiple words, like Jesus Christ. jesus and christ by themselves are fine but it will still "correct" them when put together.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Kind of. Like I am cool and I set "jesus" to just be lowercase because I refuse to respect our lord and savior. However it only works for words without spaces so it will still change things it detects across spans of multiple words, like Jesus Christ. jesus and christ by themselves are fine but it will still "correct" them when put together.

Hmm, this is going to be pretty useful. I'm going to have to play around with it some now that I know about it. Really appreciate the help, thank you.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
The shortcuts have plenty of non-obvious uses, I keep my phone number, email, and spam addresses in "##", "@@", and "@@@".

Works for logins too, I wouldn't try passwords, 1Password is too easy.

Also the intended usage, like: tf 10-4, ct Copy that, rt Roger that.

Go wild people.

Correctly training the auto-correct is a must, also you can override temporarily by WRITING IN ALL KAPS LOKE THUS

Which is kinda fun sometimes, and you can also disable auto-corrections entirely via Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-correction.

With keyboard suggestions on (the little grey bar above the keyboard) you won't see the x, your "incorrect" spelling is always on the left, when its in quotes it doesn't know that word but wants to learn, tap to tell it to remember that.

With keyboard suggestions hidden or disabled, you see the good old x when getting suggestions. Hit the x when it suggests the wrong word, or if you don't quite catch it in time backspace TO the word and it will pop a bubble with your wrong spelling, tap that if you miss the first edit don't just back it all out.

When you do this iOS will pretty quickly learn to suggest your spellings, or to force the issue just use the shortcut/contact workaround.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have to side with the guy who is annoyed at some words always correcting to something (e.g. All caps) that you typed in maybe twice a year ago.

I should actually reset my whole dictionary since I can't type JAPAN without the word JAPAN always coming out in all caps for some reason, even if I pretty much always hit the x on it. Which is a pain, because usually I don't bother capitalising the first letter since every other country corrects fine, like Germany.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but is there any way to "force" iOS to update things in the background? I ask because I never manage my calendar on my phone - it is all imported from multiple Google calendars, and often times the notification center widget has very old or nonupdated events on the calendar until I open the Calendar app. Along the same lines, when I open the Google Calendar app (which doesn't have a widget), it refreshes and has not updated in the background at all.

This is just really frustrating because I can't trust the widget to be accurate when its pretty much all I want to use to check my schedule.

Along the same lines, waiting for the weather widget to refresh every time I pull the shade down is also annoying, but livable. The calendar app doesn't even do that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do you have background app refresh off? Have you considered using a different calendar app?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eltoozero posted:

The shortcuts have plenty of non-obvious uses, I keep my phone number, email, and spam addresses in "##", "@@", and "@@@".

You sweet motherfucking genius!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Cozmosis posted:

I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but is there any way to "force" iOS to update things in the background? I ask because I never manage my calendar on my phone - it is all imported from multiple Google calendars, and often times the notification center widget has very old or nonupdated events on the calendar until I open the Calendar app. Along the same lines, when I open the Google Calendar app (which doesn't have a widget), it refreshes and has not updated in the background at all.

This is just really frustrating because I can't trust the widget to be accurate when its pretty much all I want to use to check my schedule.

Along the same lines, waiting for the weather widget to refresh every time I pull the shade down is also annoying, but livable. The calendar app doesn't even do that.
All I can suggest is to remove and re-add the Google calendars, unfortunately. My Google calendar syncs within a minute or two of adding stuff via the webapp on my PC and displays the right stuff in the widget.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Do you have background app refresh off? Have you considered using a different calendar app?

Nope, I have it on - but calendars isn't an option, there.

The same thing has happened with Calendars 5, Sunrise, and the default.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

If I have the app active, the widget syncs immediately and without issue - with both Sunrise and default. If, then I swipe away Sunrise and delete an event on my web calendar, the widget does NOT sync at all. It appears the app needs to be at least somewhat active in the background just to use the widget. But the problem is I almost never actively manage the calendar on the phone - just web so the app is very rarely active.

It would be nice if it did some sort of web call for the data like my other widgets (countdown, weather, etc) when I swipe down the shade so it can update directly at that time.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
Sounds like push/fetch issue.

Settings > Mail Contacts Calendars > Fetch New Data.

Push/fetch settings apply to all synced account data, not just mail.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

eltoozero posted:

Sounds like push/fetch issue.

Settings > Mail Contacts Calendars > Fetch New Data.

Push/fetch settings apply to all synced account data, not just mail.

It isn't. It happens similarly with third party apps with widgets.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

It happens similarly with third party apps with widgets.

Background app refresh then.

YMMV because BAR poo poo does not work well in my experience, I stick with 1st party cal/contacts/mail, linked with Google Apps (natch) except for "my contact" which lives on iCloud otherwise certain Siri features like "call bob's mom for a quickie" won't work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can someone give me a quick rundown on iTunes Match and how it all works? I just tried to sync 1 album to my iPhone and it erased all my music again, and I'm really loving tired of that happening every now and then against my wishes. So it'd be pretty cool to not have to deal with syncing anymore. But I heard that Match downloads songs to your device, so if that's accurate, then what's the point of this being a streaming service if it's gonna take up space on my phone just like my current music library does? Would I be able to shuffle my music library if all of the songs aren't downloaded or would they download one by one if I shuffle?

I'm confused about it. It sounded like something that might work seamlessly, but then I read some articles about how it works and now I'm not so sure. I'm perfectly fine with paying the $25/year if it means I don't have to bother with syncing anymore and it does work seamlessly, but I don't want to pay for it if it doesn't.

I have like 13,000 songs on my phone now, so a good deal of music but definitely under that 25k cap that Match has.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

My iphone won't accept facetime calls (says connecting... indefinitely) when I'm at my computer. I think this is because when my computer (MBP) is on, it will try to intercept the call. How can I stop this?

Edit: I just realized I could sign out of facetime. Duh

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on iTunes Match and how it all works? But I heard that Match downloads songs to your device, so if that's accurate, then what's the point of this being a streaming service if it's gonna take up space on my phone just like my current music library does? Would I be able to shuffle my music library if all of the songs aren't downloaded or would they download one by one if I shuffle?

Match gives you access to your library that has been matched whenever you choose. So say out of your 10k songs you want to hear an album you haven't heard in years (so it's normally not synced). You can save it to your phone by clicking a download wheel and its magically on your phone.
Or, as you described before you can play a song and it will cache it to your phone to play. Honestly I don't pay attention to how the phone manages this. What I do know is I have a 16gb 5 and I never have to manage my storage.
If it's your kind of thing, match also gives you ad free iTunes Radio which I've replaced pandora with.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Can someone give me a quick rundown on iTunes Match and how it all works? I just tried to sync 1 album to my iPhone and it erased all my music again, and I'm really loving tired of that happening every now and then against my wishes. So it'd be pretty cool to not have to deal with syncing anymore. But I heard that Match downloads songs to your device, so if that's accurate, then what's the point of this being a streaming service if it's gonna take up space on my phone just like my current music library does? Would I be able to shuffle my music library if all of the songs aren't downloaded or would they download one by one if I shuffle?

I'm confused about it. It sounded like something that might work seamlessly, but then I read some articles about how it works and now I'm not so sure. I'm perfectly fine with paying the $25/year if it means I don't have to bother with syncing anymore and it does work seamlessly, but I don't want to pay for it if it doesn't.

I have like 13,000 songs on my phone now, so a good deal of music but definitely under that 25k cap that Match has.

It's not really a streaming service so much as a cloud storage option for your music (that can sort of stream). It does work pretty much perfectly though.

For instance, I changed a smart playlist on my computer in Northern Alberta so that it included a lot of new music. It changed the playlist and songs on my phone, but also my wife's phone 400km away. It also syncs plays and skips and ratings. The only hitch is that you have to manage your smart playlists on a computer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay, so when you enable Match, your entire library will show up on your phone with a cloud icon next to each song. You can either tap the title and it will start playing immediately and download to a cache OR you can tap the cloud icon and it will download the song to your device. Doing the former will keep the song on your phone until it needs space for something else, while the latter is intended to keep it there until you delete it, I believe. So, yes, you can easily shuffle your entire library if you so choose, and it'll only download the songs as they're being played. You can then listen to those ones again without it needed to redownload it.

The only thing that it sometimes has problems with is that if it detects an album with explicit and clean versions it will occasionally match the clean version. Also note the 25k cap doesn't apply to songs purchased on iTunes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, cool. I also watched this long YouTube video overviewing the entire process from signing up to listening on an iOS device, and it looks like it'd work well for me. I'm gonna try it out after I get home and see how it works. Thanks, y'all :)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Has Match gotten better about censoring rap?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I've had Match for 2+ years now and I've never had an issue with it matching to censored music. Not once.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
All my non-censored hip hop is working fine.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I somewhat missed cloud storage chat but anyone used MEGA for camera backup? How's the app? I just picked up a 6 Plus after being on android for a year (never again) but the app on android crashed a lot. Part of that was probably due to Lollipop being an unmitigated disaster but is the iOS app any more reliable?

Considering just putting the money down for a 20gb iCloud plan but MEGA gives you 50 for free. I love Dropbox but I don't need 1TB of storage.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

robodex posted:

I somewhat missed cloud storage chat but anyone used MEGA for camera backup? How's the app? I just picked up a 6 Plus after being on android for a year (never again) but the app on android crashed a lot. Part of that was probably due to Lollipop being an unmitigated disaster but is the iOS app any more reliable?

Considering just putting the money down for a 20gb iCloud plan but MEGA gives you 50 for free. I love Dropbox but I don't need 1TB of storage.

If it's just for photos, why not go with Flickr? 1TB free and "automatic" uploading.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

tuyop posted:

If it's just for photos, why not go with Flickr? 1TB free and "automatic" uploading.

Does it have a Windows/Mac app like Dropbox/MEGA that will sync your stuff? That's one of the big reasons I use them since its infinitely easier than having to sync my phone to get pictures off of it.

\/\/ that's perfect, actually. My main computer is a Windows PC so OS X support isn't really a concern.

robodex fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 24, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

robodex posted:

Does it have a Windows/Mac app like Dropbox/MEGA that will sync your stuff? That's one of the big reasons I use them since its infinitely easier than having to sync my phone to get pictures off of it.

I'm not sure if there's a Mac app, but photoSync sounds like your solution for Windows. I think there are some plugins for iPhoto to do the same for OS X, but a quick google didn't turn anything up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bittorrent Sync is pretty good for transferring pictures off the phone to any computer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a Program to convert my .mkv, .avi and .wmv files into something playable onto my iPhone 6+. Any ideas?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

obi_ant posted:

I'm looking for a Program to convert my .mkv, .avi and .wmv files into something playable onto my iPhone 6+. Any ideas?

Handbrake.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Put down that margarita!

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
Waltr

quote:

The only Mac app that uploads MKV & FLAC files directly to iPhone/iPad for Native Playback.
No additional iOS apps required.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Anyone run with a Garmin Forerunner 620/220 and an iPhone 5s? I'm tired of my android device dropping connection and ruining livetracking (among other issues) and am hoping bluetooth actually works properly on apple devices.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Anyone else dealt with what looks like a speck of dust under the screen? If it doesn't bother me too much, is it some sort of problem I should even bother calling Apple about? Brand new iPhone 6.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's probably a speck of dust under the screen. If you've got an Apple Store nearby and you don't mind people secretly judging you for being a sperg you could take it in and try and get it replaced. If it doesn't bother you that much you can just live with it and it might even go away eventually. It's not something that will tend to get worse at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

Anyone else dealt with what looks like a speck of dust under the screen? If it doesn't bother me too much, is it some sort of problem I should even bother calling Apple about? Brand new iPhone 6.

I've only had that happen after years of use on a phone, so it may be something that you can talk to them about at the Apple store, but I'm not sure how much they'll do for you. Also, are you sure it's dust and not a dead pixel?