Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Jaroslav posted:

The Kawachi is literally the worst pile of poo poo i have ever seen, christ it's bad

The Myogi moves better but I'd like to have a word with the designer that put 2/3 of the main guns on the loving fantail.

Tough it out until the Kongo because it is a very solid ship. Also it has not inconsiderable AA armament which is handy because pubbie cruiser drivers don't understand that part of their job is to use their AA guns to protect the big guns, e.g. you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cardiac posted:

This thread is kinda interesting since I see people both from WoT and WG.
So far the game is enjoyable, probably since it is beta and no one really gives a poo poo. The game is undoubtedly less complex than WoT (3 dimensions trumphs 2), but it is nice to have a game with a somewhat slower pace.

Once it goes live things are going to get bad I fear and once the novelty wears off.
Aiming is a pretty simple mechanic if one have played arty in WoT.
Torpedoes feels too destructive, there are too many of them and the smoke screen mechanic is just waiting to be abused if it isn't already.
People are already camping, and it sometimes feel more like playing hide and seek behind large boulders. Which is what also makes the torpedoes so bad, since there is just not time to dodge in tight quarters. I don't feel like this is the game if you want a reenactment of Warspite in Narvik vs 7 German destroyers, cause that would be one dead BB.
Carriers are utterly boring, dive bombers are pretty underwhelming, torpedo bombers are kinda slow and AA in tier5 just rips the airplanes apart.
Finally, submarines in this game would have broken it.

Torpedoes are a lot weaker in the higher tiers. They, like destroyers, peak at T4-5 then they decline quickly. The Clemson is easily the best DD in the game simply because of its tier placement.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I just played one of the best game in my Minekaze. I spent approximately 8 minutes, running after the 2 enemy carriers which were grouped together. Both of them were sending their torpedo planes and bombers to try and sink me. I got hit by a few bombs, but managed to avoid all of their torpedo's against me. They must have launched at least 10 waves.

I didn't end up doing much other than killing a few planes and sinking one of the 2 carriers, but drat it was fun trying t make sure I don't get hit while closing all that distance.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Arishtat posted:

The Myogi moves better but I'd like to have a word with the designer that put 2/3 of the main guns on the loving fantail.

Tough it out until the Kongo because it is a very solid ship. Also it has not inconsiderable AA armament which is handy because pubbie cruiser drivers don't understand that part of their job is to use their AA guns to protect the big guns, e.g. you.

This was actually an IJN design thing, especially on destroyers. They figured that in fleet actions, their DDs would cruise silently into torpedo range, turn away, launch all their torps, and then zoom away as fast as possible while firing their guns. Since the bow guns would never be fired in this scenario, they decided to put most of their guns in the rear.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Vengarr posted:

This was actually an IJN design thing, especially on destroyers. They figured that in fleet actions, their DDs would cruise silently into torpedo range, turn away, launch all their torps, and then zoom away as fast as possible while firing their guns. Since the bow guns would never be fired in this scenario, they decided to put most of their guns in the rear.

Did it actually work?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

This is great except for the fact that the Myogi class is a battleship. :v: In theory it's supposed to fight with its broadside but in the game having those two turrets on the rear of one's ship is a major disadvantage.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It lets you do one hell of a kiting maneuver if you have to drag things out on your flank.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Arishtat posted:

I'd say that's more a metacentric height thing than a doctrine from decades later thing. Look at how the top rear turret is only as high as the front turret, and there's basically no superstructure. It's pretty clear they were trying to save any possible topweight. By having the superfiring turret aft, it's possible to have the turrets lower on the ship.

Also it's good for kiting while outnumbered, since if you have to turn and switch broadsides it doesn't cost too much firepower.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was flying some torp bombers around and into the enemy spawn at the start of a game when I spotted an Amagi just sitting there afk. 12 manual torps and 12 hits and the bastard was still alive with a third health left. Bittersweet.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Poil posted:

I was flying some torp bombers around and into the enemy spawn at the start of a game when I spotted an Amagi just sitting there afk. 12 manual torps and 12 hits and the bastard was still alive with a third health left. Bittersweet.
Gotta aim for the magazines on later tier BB's because a full flight of Torp's will only do half-health damage to them if you don't cause flooding/explode their inner gubbins.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
What if, as a post-death mechanic in a platoon, you could take control of one of your buddy's main/secondary guns or torpedo tubes? In tanks this isn't possible since you only have your one main gun (though it would be funny if you could fire the machineguns just for fun), but you have tons of guns in warships, enough in most cases to lend at least two primaries or secondaries for friends.

I don't know how hard it would be to balance (if it would need balancing at all really), but then you could have super cool roger-dodger moments where you're focusing on a battleships while your friends try to take out a cruiser tailing you from the side. Plus it gives people something else to do while they're waiting for their buddies, since matches last longer on average in botes.

Edit: I have been getting nothing *but* Fault Line lately. I must've gotten this map seven times in a row, on the same side, in my kuma. Have they taken all the other maps out of the game or something? :v:

OSad fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 22, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

OSad posted:

Edit: I have been getting nothing *but* Fault Line lately. I must've gotten this map seven times in a row, on the same side, in my kuma. Have they taken all the other maps out of the game or something? :v:

There are basically only two maps in rotation for tier IV, Fault Line and Big Race. So yeah, you'll see them a lot. At tier 5 you start seeing North, and at tier 6 Islands of Ice shows up sometimes.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
http://worldofwarships.com/en/content/Weekend_N/

More Beta Keys are up!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

TheFluff posted:

There are basically only two maps in rotation for tier IV, Fault Line and Big Race. So yeah, you'll see them a lot. At tier 5 you start seeing North, and at tier 6 Islands of Ice shows up sometimes.

Part of the problem with destroyers getting worse is the high tier maps. North has a lot of open space and no domination mode, so the big ships are never obligated to get in close-range fights. Ice has the opposite problem, it's so constricting that there's no room to maneuver.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Sweet, thanks! Now to own losers in my Nipponese cruiser

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Lets see if the latency to the US servers is an issue for a euro.
Too bad I only like 30 games on my US account, maybe they won't let me in.
e:welp, too late

Daktari fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 22, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Gone already :(

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Largepotato posted:

Did it actually work?

They never really got the chance to try it. Radar and air patrols meant that a force of DDs was never going to sneak up on an enemy fleet. And they were very vulnerable to air strikes because they had few AA guns and were carrying lots of volatile torpedoes that exploded if you looked at them funny.

When they did get a chance to fight surface engagements though, they were really good. They were generally pound-for-pound superior to US DDs, but of course, they were also much more expensive and difficult to build. Ultimately, their greater ability didn't offset the greater cost.

Arishtat posted:

This is great except for the fact that the Myogi class is a battleship. :v: In theory it's supposed to fight with its broadside but in the game having those two turrets on the rear of one's ship is a major disadvantage.

I can't remember where I read it, but IIRC the other reason for that arrangement was that bow guns on all classes of ships in the dreadnought era were more likely to be put out of action by saltwater. Can't remember if it was saltwater spray from near-misses or just saltwater corrosion in general. Some navies invested into ways to keep saltwater out of the turrets, Japan just shrugged and put their turrets aft until a solution could be found.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but IIRC the other reason for that arrangement was that bow guns on all classes of ships in the dreadnought era were more likely to be put out of action by saltwater. Can't remember if it was saltwater spray from near-misses or just saltwater corrosion in general. Some navies invested into ways to keep saltwater out of the turrets, Japan just shrugged and put their turrets aft until a solution could be found.

Whatever the reason for it the arrangement is sub-optimal for the purposes of the game.

On the other hand the Kongo is fun as hell now that I understand how to aim the guns properly. There's nothing like banging out an 8 gun broadside and 10 seconds later those shells land on a hapless Phoenix-class cruiser and send him back to the garage.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
This dude streaming w/ codes right now didn't realize he was playing co-op battles for like a solid 40 minutes now.

Just issue codes WG, jesus christ. :negative:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Mazz posted:

This dude streaming w/ codes right now didn't realize he was playing co-op battles for like a solid 40 minutes now.

Just issue codes WG, jesus christ. :negative:

So does that say something about the quality of the bot scripting or the quality of the beta test players?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I really appreciate that the co-op mode will keep players like that happily and obliviously isolated from the rest of us.

Not that your average BB is very bright.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'll reverse my earlier statements on the phoenix, it's pretty good now that everything is fully upgraded.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

I'll reverse my earlier statements on the phoenix, it's pretty good now that everything is fully upgraded.

Just wait till you get the Cleveland. I feel like that line peaks there. The Pensacola is ...not that great.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

:negative: gently caress!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Arishtat posted:

So does that say something about the quality of the bot scripting or the quality of the beta test players?

Both.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Gotta aim for the magazines on later tier BB's because a full flight of Torp's will only do half-health damage to them if you don't cause flooding/explode their inner gubbins.
Thanks. But how in the world am I supposed to aim that precise with torpedo bombers? It's hard enough to hit as it is with battleships leisurely evading closing V-shaped torpedo formations. :(

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Poil posted:

Thanks. But how in the world am I supposed to aim that precise with torpedo bombers? It's hard enough to hit as it is with battleships leisurely evading closing V-shaped torpedo formations. :(

You don't have to kill them the first time with bombers because unlike destroyers, you can try again

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lorem ipsum posted:

You don't have to kill them the first time with bombers because unlike destroyers, you can try again
Pretty much this. The sweet spot is below any main turrets on the bow/aft section and it's really hard to do intentionally unless the BB in particular is both AFK and moving so you can have your torp skirt around the anti-torp armor belts.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

So I've seen people talk about how destroyers aren't great after tier 4-5, American cruisers aren't great after the Cleveland, and carriers just aren't that fun overall. Does the game just get less fun after tier 5, or are there good options past that?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Propagandist posted:

So I've seen people talk about how destroyers aren't great after tier 4-5, American cruisers aren't great after the Cleveland, and carriers just aren't that fun overall. Does the game just get less fun after tier 5, or are there good options past that?

How do you feel about battleships?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Right now battleships are just way too strong. It's not that the DDs or cruisers are bad, its just that both of them pale to battleships. They have no real weaknesses. They're agile enough to dodge torpedoes at long and medium range, can one-shot DDs and Cruisers at medium-short range, can open fire well before anyone else, and have enough AA guns to make carrier runs treacherous. That's if you're all by yourself. If you have a cruiser with you? Haha, you're invincible to air strikes because cruisers tier 6 and up have a special ability that utterly fucks up bombers. They shotgun their bombs and torpedoes all over the place while it's active, they can't hit anything. All this while simultaneously picking off any DDs making a suicide run at you.

I'm expecting some stealth-nerfs to change this. Reduced AA effectiveness, faster torpedoes, greater DD concealment, stuff like that.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

WG are going to have a lot of trouble balancing torpedoes because at least half the playerbase have quite literally zero situational awareness.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vengarr posted:

Right now battleships are just way too strong. It's not that the DDs or cruisers are bad, its just that both of them pale to battleships. They have no real weaknesses. They're agile enough to dodge torpedoes at long and medium range, can one-shot DDs and Cruisers at medium-short range, can open fire well before anyone else, and have enough AA guns to make carrier runs treacherous. That's if you're all by yourself. If you have a cruiser with you? Haha, you're invincible to air strikes because cruisers tier 6 and up have a special ability that utterly fucks up bombers. They shotgun their bombs and torpedoes all over the place while it's active, they can't hit anything. All this while simultaneously picking off any DDs making a suicide run at you.

I'm expecting some stealth-nerfs to change this. Reduced AA effectiveness, faster torpedoes, greater DD concealment, stuff like that.

Yeah, the problem with Tier 6+ is that while some of the cruisers are pretty good, the optimal team layout is probably 12 battleships.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Me, Sengo and Panzerblitz just killed a Yamato from full health with two Clevelands and a Pensacola. Get on our level.

(you have to get really close for this to work)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

TheFluff posted:

Me, Sengo and Panzerblitz just killed a Yamato from full health with two Clevelands and a Pensacola. Get on our level.

(you have to get really close for this to work)

Teamwork is OP

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Do torpedoes have an arming time now? I thought DD's were running rampant in the weekend alphas since they didn't, and you could literally drive-by shotgun other ships to death, but it still doesn't feel like they have one now.

Unless the arming time is less than 1km or something (I know almost nothing about actual torpedoes).

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

OSad posted:

Do torpedoes have an arming time now? I thought DD's were running rampant in the weekend alphas since they didn't, and you could literally drive-by shotgun other ships to death, but it still doesn't feel like they have one now.

Unless the arming time is less than 1km or something (I know almost nothing about actual torpedoes).

They arm after 100m or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Vengarr posted:

Usually it's a matter of not having sufficient freeboard to prevent the ship from becoming wet forward. Especially the older ships where they wanted to maintain the ability to fire at 0 degrees elevation dead forward were prone to this, the British kept that requirement into WWII, and their battleships occasionally missed salvoes because the turrets were shipping a bunch of water in heavy seas. It's usually more a problem for the hull guns in casemates, but it definitely did happen to the main caliber guns too. So if they're limited in how high up they can get the turret by topweight concerns and every bit they drop the guns makes it a lot less likely they'll get the full capabilities of the guns, only one forward turret and superfiring rear turrets makes a lot of sense. And yeah, it's annoying to deal with in this game, it's usually best to switch between broadsides on that ship by turning away from the enemy. On the other hand, it's freaking hilarious being able to run away from destroyers at 30 knots and blap them with most of your guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Saint Celestine posted:

Just wait till you get the Cleveland. I feel like that line peaks there. The Pensacola is ...not that great.

The stock Pensacola seems meh but the upgraded hull takes you up to 10x203s which seems pretty beefy to me?