Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fart Car '97 posted:

The stock Pensacola seems meh but the upgraded hull takes you up to 10x203s which seems pretty beefy to me?

It really is. It's a good chunk less DPM, but the ship's less reliant on getting right close up on enemies and it can really slap a cruiser around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

:(

Propagandist posted:

So I've seen people talk about how destroyers aren't great after tier 4-5, American cruisers aren't great after the Cleveland, and carriers just aren't that fun overall. Does the game just get less fun after tier 5, or are there good options past that?
If you like battleships, or like intentionally playing with a large handicap, it's fine. Don't take Japanese destroyers past tier 5 until torpedo mechanics change, but otherwise it's possible to have fun.
The main problem is that the only effective counter to a battleship is another battleship, which gets more and more apparent as you go up in tier. Torpedo detection issues aside, there aren't any bad ship lines, but unlike in the beta weekends you can't take on battleships without a large skill mismatch or extremely favorable circumstances.

OSad posted:

Do torpedoes have an arming time now? I thought DD's were running rampant in the weekend alphas since they didn't, and you could literally drive-by shotgun other ships to death, but it still doesn't feel like they have one now.

Arming range is really short, it starts where the range indicator starts.
Long range torpedoing is a losing proposition because torpedoes get spotted from four times as far away as in the weekend alphas. Only an afk ship is likely to take any actual hits.
Close range torpedoes aren't that great because you have to close in battleship secondary range to have a good chance of hitting, and if you don't sink it outright you'll die. Even if you do close in and sink a battleship outright, you take unsustainable amounts of damage.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Battleships just don't seem all that fun to me, but it may be because I'm playing it wrong/suck/using the wrong ammo. I'm currently in the Kongo.

Generally I lob salvos at people and by the time my shots get there they've changed course and my poo poo misses. Sometimes I even see my shells hit all around another battle ship, in front and behind it, but no hits. As the game progresses, cruisers generally close in on me and send 3-4 salvos to my one, pretty much out-damaging me. I'm not having any luck one shotting anything but a destroyer either.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Generally you want to fire 1 turret at a time until you've got your lead down, especially against Cruisers/DDs. Firing full salvos is too risky, firing one at a time forces them to maneuver and then allows you to correct and hit them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Propagandist posted:

Battleships just don't seem all that fun to me, but it may be because I'm playing it wrong/suck/using the wrong ammo. I'm currently in the Kongo.

Generally I lob salvos at people and by the time my shots get there they've changed course and my poo poo misses. Sometimes I even see my shells hit all around another battle ship, in front and behind it, but no hits. As the game progresses, cruisers generally close in on me and send 3-4 salvos to my one, pretty much out-damaging me. I'm not having any luck one shotting anything but a destroyer either.

You can well and truly gently caress up cruisers in a Kongo once you get good at aiming. Battleships do so much damage that waiting for a good shot is better than wasting it on angled battleship or a faraway destroyer. BB life is a bit to slow for me, so I don't play them often, but they have a really high skill ceiling.

James Garfield posted:

Arming range is really short, it starts where the range indicator starts.
Long range torpedoing is a losing proposition because torpedoes get spotted from four times as far away as in the weekend alphas. Only an afk ship is likely to take any actual hits.
Close range torpedoes aren't that great because you have to close in battleship secondary range to have a good chance of hitting, and if you don't sink it outright you'll die. Even if you do close in and sink a battleship outright, you take unsustainable amounts of damage.

Pubbies get really bad tunnel vision. The Japanese destroyers are saved by their torp range and fast speed, and I've been doing okay in the Hatsuharu. And if you time your torpedo runs right, the secondaries won't get a good volley off before you do 60000 torpedo damage.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Play Cleveland (or any American cruiser) divisions, never look back. We had some amazing games tonight with ours. If you can get close to a battleship (as in less than 5-6km) you do like 10k damage per salvo if you shoot him in the waterline, so he dies really loving quickly. Case in point, we killed that Yamato and I got a Nagato kill too earlier tonight.

Then again Fuso divisions can also be fun times. You learn pretty quickly how much to lead stuff and getting citadel hits from 15-20km really feels good. Panzerblitz also sniped a demo account in an Omaha from about 18km in a single salvo at the very start of the game, and he got really really salty about it and sat around complaining about battleships in chat for the rest of the game. There was also some pubbie complaining about "clickers" shooting torps at him.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 23, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I think I really like the Omaha. I hung out with some destroyers early one, shot up enemy destroyers for a bit. Beat up a Phoenix until he ran, and chased down both carriers and sunk them both while avoiding all but 2 torpedoes. Carriers are squishy, but they still take a long time to wear down their HP, I would swap between AP and HE to try and keep them set on fire, couldn't line up a good torpedo hit while dodging though.

On a side note, people need to understand that getting between a destroyer and a enemy ship means you will get torpedoes launched at you. Got some lip from someone who was moving into torpedo range as I fired. He later on drove directly at a Kongo and died before launching, so I'm not sure he is a good judge of torpedoing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD34JSYU9k

Cleveland, Cleveland, Pensacola and some torpedo bombers vs Yamato. We win. Action starts at around 04:20 and we get into deep poo poo at around 07:00.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

Cleveland, Cleveland, Pensacola and some torpedo bombers vs Yamato. We win. Action starts at around 04:20 and we get into deep poo poo at around 07:00.

Man, the shells that Cleveland puts downrange is scary.

For me, Cruisers have been the most enjoyable ships in the game. At least the US ones. They feel like they always have something to do, you aren't waiting 30s for a reload like on a BB, you aren't waiting on torps to hit or reload on a destroyer, you just go out and start clicking on things.
If at high tier things go south, then I'll be more then happy to stick at tier 4-6 with fun ships.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The tactic of 'fire one turret at a time until my lead is locked in' is great in the Cleveland because you just walk little bursts in and the pubby gets lulled into a false sense of security and over commits and then suddenly you're zoned in and :supaburn:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Lorem ipsum posted:

You don't have to kill them the first time with bombers because unlike destroyers, you can try again

Not a higher tier you can't. If you miss your first pass and have to abort your launch, turn the planes around and try again, more often than not the AA will shred you apart. Unless you abort well in advance and are not yet in the range of the AA batteries.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

The tactic of 'fire one turret at a time until my lead is locked in' is great in the Cleveland because you just walk little bursts in and the pubby gets lulled into a false sense of security and over commits and then suddenly you're zoned in and :supaburn:

In the Atlanta, you can fire a non stop stream of shells by doing this.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cleveland probably shouldn't be Tier VI tbqh, it either matches or straight out-classes everything it faces

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Friendly destroyers are truly the most dangerous enemy. I just had a game where somebody managed to one-shot me, with their guns. :psyduck:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

TheFluff posted:

What I take from this is that going off by yourself is a bad idea. He should have stuck with the Nagato.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Has anyone else had a problem where if you shoot at a distant target and lead it like normal the shots all land the range you aim at, but if you put the reticle right on the ship the shots all land ~2km short? I was shooting at a stationary cruiser with the reticle right on it, shops kept dropping into the ocean nowhere near the ship, not close enough to even be unlucky RNG. I moved the reticle to the left so it would be leading him if he was actually moving but at exactly the same distance, and every shot landed bang on range. It was bizarre.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

CitizenKain posted:

Man, the shells that Cleveland puts downrange is scary.

For me, Cruisers have been the most enjoyable ships in the game. At least the US ones. They feel like they always have something to do, you aren't waiting 30s for a reload like on a BB, you aren't waiting on torps to hit or reload on a destroyer, you just go out and start clicking on things.
If at high tier things go south, then I'll be more then happy to stick at tier 4-6 with fun ships.

Well, the Des Moines is like a heavy cruiser with a comparable to Cleveland fire rate, and autocannons that can hit planes at 5 km. The heavy cruisers are all pretty cool ships.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Cleveland probably shouldn't be Tier VI tbqh, it either matches or straight out-classes everything it faces

Tier seven in a light cruiser line possibly with slight buffs mostly to give a bit more range, maybe 8 with buffed HP, ROF and faster turrets.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
Whats the best Japanese Cruiser? Do they top out at Tier V like the destroyers?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Has anyone else had a problem where if you shoot at a distant target and lead it like normal the shots all land the range you aim at, but if you put the reticle right on the ship the shots all land ~2km short? I was shooting at a stationary cruiser with the reticle right on it, shops kept dropping into the ocean nowhere near the ship, not close enough to even be unlucky RNG. I moved the reticle to the left so it would be leading him if he was actually moving but at exactly the same distance, and every shot landed bang on range. It was bizarre.

I've had the same thing happen to me occasionally. I thought at first it was because my shots kept the momentum of my ship, but occasionally when this happens they miss in the opposite direction than what momentum should carry them. Anyone got any answers?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Zhanism posted:

I can't say beyond tier 6, but the aoba is pretty drat nice. I like it more than he cleveland honestly. There is no tier 5 ijn cruiser currently btw. It is a large jumpfrom the tier 4 kuma to the tier 6 aoba. The kuma is lightly armored and packs 7 140mm guns (6 available on a broadside). It works, but sometimes feels a bit underpowered. If the wargaming text is to be believed though, the underpowered makes sense (text says the ship was intended to be a lead destroyer, not a full on cruiser as in the game). All ijn cruisers after the katori have torpedoes giving you an option to use them as just like a destroyer. Except you still have good guns too.

FYI, both the US and the IJN top out at 203mm for their cruiser guns. So once you see it at t6 (7 for US), only the rof and accuracy are going to be improving by tier.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

santanotreal posted:

I've had the same thing happen to me occasionally. I thought at first it was because my shots kept the momentum of my ship, but occasionally when this happens they miss in the opposite direction than what momentum should carry them. Anyone got any answers?

Coriolis?

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Zhanism posted:

The aoba is kind of a dog (cant turn, huge hit box, slow turrets, not enough hp, ect.)
The mogami is awasome though, it rips destroyers and other cruisers up. I switched from the 8inchers back to the 6's and it plays like a cleveland with more guns and a bigger hp pool, in one of the first games i had with it i soloed 3 pensacolas.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've absolute crapped on every Aoba I've come across while driving a Cleveland. They have bigger guns sure but they always just evaporate in 1-2 volleys.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

NTRabbit posted:

Not sure if I'm understanding the problem you're describing correctly, but I've had similar-ish problems with shots ending up in bizarre places and it's always been due to the game deciding to focus on a ship that isn't the one I'm actually shooting at. If your target doesn't have the targeting circle around it, just press x a few times until it does.

The aiming model in this game is some deeply magic poo poo, by the way. Because clicking on the point in the ocean that you actually want to hit is too hard, the game does a lot of weird poo poo with how the recticle works so you only ever really aim in one dimension - range is automagic and depending on what ship the game has decided to focus on. When firing on a ship that is heading towards you or away from you, you never need to try to estimate how much to lead it in range, only in horizontal movement. The game seems to magically figure the extra range out for you and the correct thing to do is to not attempt to compensate for it. Normally this just serves to make the game easier, but if you and the game disagree on what you want to shoot at, weird things happen and shots fall short or long.

Someone mentioned earlier that the game is definitely less complex than World of Tanks because it only has two dimensions to the three featured in tanks, but in reality I'm pretty sure the game only really has one dimension as far as gunnery goes.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 23, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think maybe the reticle is invisibly making GBS threads itself, ala the reticle in tanks snapping up and down if it can't decide whether you're aiming at the hill or the tank sticking its turret over the top of the hill

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There is a good chance it was just lag or something, that sounds like what happens when I drop packets. I was shooing at a stationary Amagi today and my shots were just sailing all kinds of wide until I noticed I was dropping packets, it sorted itself out a few seconds later.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Not sure if I'm understanding the problem you're describing correctly, but I've had similar-ish problems with shots ending up in bizarre places and it's always been due to the game deciding to focus on a ship that isn't the one I'm actually shooting at. If your target doesn't have the targeting circle around it, just press x a few times until it does.

The aiming model in this game is some deeply magic poo poo, by the way. Because clicking on the point in the ocean that you actually want to hit is too hard, the game does a lot of weird poo poo with how the recticle works so you only ever really aim in one dimension - range is automagic and depending on what ship the game has decided to focus on. When firing on a ship that is heading towards you or away from you, you never need to try to estimate how much to lead it in range, only in horizontal movement. The game seems to magically figure the extra range out for you and the correct thing to do is to not attempt to compensate for it. Normally this just serves to make the game easier, but if you and the game disagree on what you want to shoot at, weird things happen and shots fall short or long.

Someone mentioned earlier that the game is definitely less complex than World of Tanks because it only has two dimensions to the three featured in tanks, but in reality I'm pretty sure the game only really has one dimension as far as gunnery goes.

It seems like at the furthest extent of your gun range, the slightest movement of the mouse makes a big difference if your shots are going to go too far/short/right on ("accelerated" mouse aiming?). This stops being an issue closer up.

e: If they are having trouble balancing 40k ton+ ships with 2k ton ships, they could pull a WT and have respawns for the lighter ships? Might need some reworking of certain game modes and a choice of spawn positions.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 23, 2015

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Are people still being added to the beta?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Krataar posted:

Are people still being added to the beta?

Officially, no. But streamers are giving out keys all the time so if you stalk one out long enough, or get lucky with one of their flash campaigns, you could get one.

I just had a friend who got his an hour ago so it's still possible to get in. Probably.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
2250 XP to a Cleveland, I have enough $$$ and free xp to insta-elite it & fill all the mod slots too. :getin: :fap:

I think its absolutely nuts right now how much silver I can pull in just by cycling through tiers 2/3/4. I'm starting to think they have the payouts artificially jacked up so everyone isn't having to grind for weeks in order to afford stuff.

And on another tangent, I was browsing through the folder that WoWs is installed in, and there is an XML file (convoyConfig.xml) that hints at something to do with convoys. I opened it up, and its got comments in Russian & parameters that hint at the presence of AI controlled ships & waypoints.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Payouts are definitely inflated, I can't imagine a tier 4 in the release game is going to pull in 100k credits in an average win and 200k in a good win like my Langley has been.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Hahahaha I just killed two Amagis with my carrier. Not my carrier's planes, with my carrier.

I ran out of planes and charged the two BBs from around an island. Secondary guns killed one while I rammed the other, both died.

Glorious Nippon tactics. :japan:

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 23, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

So that explains why I never hit while leading shots versus targets heading from or against me, while having no problems doing it horizontally.
Way to go WG.

Anyone knows what the future developments are going to be?
Cause at least from what I know there seems to be less variation among botes compared to tanks.
Of course, doing the History channel way and adding more famous ships is one way, but if these ships are not that difference in play style to what is in already, it is basically only going to cater to milhist sperglords.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Another gunnery mechanics observation: shots don't really seem to converge towards the center of the recticle. If you're in a Fuso and fire a broadside at something heading directly towards or away from you, you'll hit maybe one or two shots, the rest will fall to either side of the target because the shot grouping mirrors your turret placement (so don't do that). That's also one of the reasons why it's so hard to hit a destroyer with battleship guns; the ship is so small that it fits in between your turrets.

Also, I have five closed beta invite codes to hand out but they're US server only. I'll reserve one for apseudonym because he's a cool guy I used to play Wargame with, but for the rest of the four send me a PM or make a post or something and first come first serve?
edit: all gone

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 23, 2015

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."

TheFluff posted:

Also, I have five closed beta invite codes to hand out but they're US server only. I'll reserve one for apseudonym because he's a cool guy I used to play Wargame with, but for the rest of the four send me a PM or make a post or something and first come first serve?

I'd like one. Iamkidriot at gmail dot com por favor

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cardiac posted:

Anyone knows what the future developments are going to be?
Cause at least from what I know there seems to be less variation among botes compared to tanks.
Of course, doing the History channel way and adding more famous ships is one way, but if these ships are not that difference in play style to what is in already, it is basically only going to cater to milhist sperglords.

Tonks almost literally starts where the brand new concept of Tank warfare does, and we get to experience the full gamut of weird and wonderful vehicles as doctrine and technology developed on the fly during war and between wars, right up to where most of the tier 10s are just less computerised versions of the vehicles we have today.

Although there was some room for movement, the only new technology we get in Botes is aircraft carriers, and to some extent destroyers; battleships and cruisers are already at the pinnacle of the 400 year old line of battle, where battleships are rated ships of the line, and cruisers are frigates - the scouts, the flankers and the finishers. The only difference they get across our relevant time period is the change to single calibre primary armament due to the Dreadnought era, and changes in speed due to improved powerplants, otherwise they all fought exactly the same as their wooden predecessors - minus boarding actions.

I think the best they can do is new game modes, try to make selections that emphasise doctrinal differences in classes - American cruisers became tiny battleships, Japanese cruisers became enlarged destroyers - or as a last resort, add the only two classes they haven't added yet, frigates/corvettes/DEs and submarines, which is the only other new technology.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 23, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

TheFluff posted:

Another gunnery mechanics observation: shots don't really seem to converge towards the center of the recticle. If you're in a Fuso and fire a broadside at something heading directly towards or away from you, you'll hit maybe one or two shots, the rest will fall to either side of the target because the shot grouping mirrors your turret placement (so don't do that). That's also one of the reasons why it's so hard to hit a destroyer with battleship guns; the ship is so small that it fits in between your turrets.

I'd like one. [redacted]

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Largepotato posted:

I'd like one.

Sorry, all gone already. :(

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 23, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The link was active when I looked and I didn't think; next time it's on I'll try and collect as many keys as I can, for the greater goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

There is a good chance it was just lag or something, that sounds like what happens when I drop packets. I was shooing at a stationary Amagi today and my shots were just sailing all kinds of wide until I noticed I was dropping packets, it sorted itself out a few seconds later.

There is some sort of desync issue and there might be some hidden auto aim or something. I've had some very very weird things happen with gunnery in my US Cruisers this weekend.

Also nice to see that people who are higher up in the US cruisers still say they are fun to play, I kinda gave up on other ships and focus on that tree until they give us the build with US BBs. And US BBs are partially in game, at least according to that youtube dev diary (around the 4 min mark you can see the Iowa).