Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
That's a pretty rough avatar, imgay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Back to Quandry: I may not have been specific enough. He said: "Is this a joke?" while pushing a vote 3P agenda. Later he's on about "I doubt it was serious".

Re-reading it, I'm not sure if he was intentionally pretending to not get it, or if he genuinely just didn't get it then eventually realised "oh wait, yeah it was a joke claim". I feel like it's more the former than the latter, since I don't read Quandry as so naive.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Quandary posted:

You hedge your bets by claiming ignorance on CPig before voting, and then jump on a joke comment and include some meta for some reason. It's a very very weak vote that you still felt the need to give yourself a way to backtrack out of. There's nothing inherently wrong with making a vote on a weaker case day 1 given we have less to go on, but giving an unrelated out on your vote is trying to take a stand while not making one simultaneously

Aside from his Ernie stuff, his posts with regards to 100yrs are solid. In particular the above.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Amoeba102 posted:

Back to Quandry: I may not have been specific enough. He said: "Is this a joke?" while pushing a vote 3P agenda. Later he's on about "I doubt it was serious".

Re-reading it, I'm not sure if he was intentionally pretending to not get it, or if he genuinely just didn't get it then eventually realised "oh wait, yeah it was a joke claim". I feel like it's more the former than the latter, since I don't read Quandry as so naive.

He's rather non-committal about the whole thing, which is, again, what sparked my attention. He starts by asking if it is a joke, and then adds a post saying that "as a general rule Lynch all third parties is a good plan" (1). This post is not a commitment to the case, but advances the pressure against Ernie. After the town mood starts shifting against the initial bandwagon, he says that he will hold off on role speculation (2). Again, it's not rejecting the votes against Ernie, but it is not supporting it either.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

You're good to play with Amoeba, even if you kill my jokes.

I'm confirming that I am confirmed masons with Ninth.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Why would you outright claim rather than breadcrumb?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Oh, TNL never said he was confirmed masons with you. I just got joked.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

QuoProQuid posted:

After 100 Years asked for additional examples of CapitalistPig voting for Ernie for a fake claim, I decided that it might be interesting to see whether there were any examples of this happening in their post histories.

Did this post go anywhere? I see a lot of examples without a lot of alignment reads.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I started writing a post about how I didn't agree with your read of Quandry and 100 Years's interactions, but after going back and rereading I'm a little more conflicted. While the claim that you can't trust someone a third of the way through D1 reads like a fairly transparent attempt to sow doubt about 100 Years's scumhunting, 100 Years response to him (1) is actually awkward and seems out of place. Quandry is doing much the same thing he accuses 100 Years of, giving himself an out by saying that "there's nothing inherently wrong with making a vote on a weaker case day 1," (2) but his critique actually isn't misplaced.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Let's have some bourbon chat.

Best bourbons:
Jefferson's Ocean 2
Blanton's
Angel's Envy
Eagle Rare

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Why would you claim this now?

Also Quid that post was awesome. You and Opop are two people I am definitely not inclined to vote today. Pig looks bad to me because he was the second on Ernie, not the first as I originally thought. I'm mostly ignoring the other numerous "joke" votes. I also have some gut paranoia of Pinterest Mom that I can't explain. I'll be back later tonight to review other folks and put down an actual vote.

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

Darn it, I meant Quo, not Quid. Sorry.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Glockenapfel posted:

Also Quid that post was awesome. You and Opop are two people I am definitely not inclined to vote today. Pig looks bad to me because he was the second on Ernie, not the first as I originally thought. I'm mostly ignoring the other numerous "joke" votes. I also have some gut paranoia of Pinterest Mom that I can't explain. I'll be back later tonight to review other folks and put down an actual vote.

What do you like about the post? What do you think it says about alignment?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Glockenapfel posted:

Because I am bulletproof and so if scum try to kill me they will just waste a night kill.

We've been over this.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

I started writing a post about how I didn't agree with your read of Quandry and 100 Years's interactions, but after going back and rereading I'm a little more conflicted. While the claim that you can't trust someone a third of the way through D1 reads like a fairly transparent attempt to sow doubt about 100 Years's scumhunting, 100 Years response to him (1) is actually awkward and seems out of place. Quandry is doing much the same thing he accuses 100 Years of, giving himself an out by saying that "there's nothing inherently wrong with making a vote on a weaker case day 1," (2) but his critique actually isn't misplaced.

I don't see his "voting a weaker case is fine" point as him getting an out. It's him illustrating why someone finding an out is a bit too prescient.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Amoeba102 posted:

What I don't like about Cpig's posting the most is his Jedit vote. Yes, I know he says it's a thing he always does, but that's exactly why I don't like it. I guess because by default it's a forced joke that always triggers me. In my mind, I see someone force themselves to act like they always act so as to appear town. And if your main goal is to appear town then it's likely you're not.
It's something unavoidable for him, but he can always give up the forced Jedit joke vote in the future.

Pig always makes a weak push on me on Day 1 because I'm a fairly easy early game lynch. I lack intuition, which makes it tough for me to generate content until day 2 or sometimes day 3.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

merk posted:

Did this post go anywhere? I see a lot of examples without a lot of alignment reads.

I don't like CPig, but not for the reasons outlined by Ernie. CPig should be familiar with Ernie's schtick, but the examples show CPig doing the same thing repeatedly in the face of Ernie's fake claims. I'm more concerned with Capitalist Pig's dismissing content and pretending that we are still joking around. He's just latching himself to other people's content; I see him as a probable scum target for that reason.

CPig is why I started looking at Quandry. I remembered Quandry jumping in to attack 100 Years's vote. After going through his content, I saw a lot of unproductive posts about general mafia theory and some jokes instead of scumhunting. I asked Amoeba for his opinion on the matter and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a CPig-Quandry scum team. It's probably the only strong read I have thus far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mafia edit: I'm still not home from the gig and won't be until tomorrow evening. I'll read all those links when I get back.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Jedit are you being defensive because you're scum?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Jedit posted:

Pig always makes a weak push on me on Day 1 because I'm a fairly easy early game lynch. I lack intuition, which makes it tough for me to generate content until day 2 or sometimes day 3.

1) It's poor meta enforcing behaviour, which as a joke gets old.
2) It reads to me more like you are defending yourself here more than CPig.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Amoeba I'M NEEDLING JEDIT HERE BACK OFF JEEZ

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

All right, he's yours.

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

merk posted:

What do you like about the post? What do you think it says about alignment?

I like the fact that he was willing to do homework that helps out newer and lazier players like me. The results are fairly inconclusive, but the willingness to do it is towny I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Jedit are you being defensive because you're scum?

No, I'm being defensive because being lynched before I can get started is getting pretty loving tiresome. That's part of why I haven't played a game in a while.

(Cue several "humour" votes including at least one scum, so I'm going to bed.)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

No, I'm being defensive because being lynched before I can get started is getting pretty loving tiresome. That's part of why I haven't played a game in a while.

(Cue several "humour" votes including at least one scum, so I'm going to bed.)

So who voting you is scum, then?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Quandry definitely reads like he believed Ernie's claim. But then he's all about it being faked. He seemed more into exploiting an easy vote than CPig. I'm also inclined to say Ernie is more guilty of exploiting an easy vote than CPig, but less than Quandry is.

Please find my post where I believed Ernies claim for me

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Believed may be too strong. You were definitely seriously considering that it could be real.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Believed may be too strong. You were definitely seriously considering that it could be real.

I'm seconding this.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I have mixed feelings about Ernie's claim but i do know that we should policy lynch day one!

##unvote
##vote Cpig

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Since apparently it's a big point of debate, I was unclear if the ernie claim was real and wanted to wait until he came back before making any real judgements. A few comments about the merits of lynching third parties were more academic than anything

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

winvirus posted:

I have mixed feelings about Ernie's claim

Those being...?

And do you see the case against CPig as a policy lynch only?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Quandary, I think your posts on 100yrs outweigh your potentially scummy actions with regards to Ernie.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

QuoProQuid posted:

Those being...?

And do you see the case against CPig as a policy lynch only?

On the one hand I see it as a thing ernie would do for jokes but on the other it may be a scum gambit so he could go "no look I did it here too and I was town"

I see it as a policy and I'm ok with that

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Policy votes are bad votes. No one is going to build a case on Ernie then throw it away because "Oh that fakeclaim during jokephase means he's town". Ernie isn't arguing he is town because of his fakeclaim, so don't vote him for using spurious defenses.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

winvirus posted:

On the one hand I see it as a thing ernie would do for jokes but on the other it may be a scum gambit so he could go "no look I did it here too and I was town"

I see it as a policy and I'm ok with that

thats dumb

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
AWU's vote on ernie that he made during the fakeclaim and has kept haphazardly defending is really bad.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Winvirus are you scum? y/n/I'm the cop

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can confirm that I am not scum.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Quandary posted:

AWU's vote on ernie that he made during the fakeclaim and has kept haphazardly defending is really bad.

How does a scum player benefit from clinging to a case that now seems more suspicious than credible? How do you explain his confused posts after Ernie returned to the thread (1), (2)? They read to me as genuine.

I'm genuinely asking. If you want to make a case, I'd be happy to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yah, reading AWU is weird. He starts off with a reasonable response - a joke vote. Then he walks himself into it being more of a serious vote, then it's a new reason to vote keep his vote on Ernie (Thinking that Ernie is making a BS case on CPig). It's sounds like weak justification to maintain a joke vote by turning it serious, so as to avoid having to do something else.

• Locked thread