Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Crosspost from regular Android thread.

Amazon is giving away a ton of high quality apps for free from it's appstore again.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7738789-five-nights-at-freddy-s-2-amazon-free-app-of-the-day-more-apps

Of note is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Stream-EasyTether/dp/B004JJR2K4/ref=lp_10076151011_1_13?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1426775487&sr=1-13

I've used Easy Tether (Google Play version not this version) on several phones/carriers/computers for years on and off with 100% success.

Easy Tether lets you tether to any Windows PC no matter what the carrier tries to do if you use a USB cable. I'd suggest getting this at least and then if you carry a Micro USB->USB cable along with whatever computer you want you can always easily tether (even getting around all tether Paywalls/Carrier lockouts/anything anyone else can try to block you with).

It usually a good to charge (slowly so you don't overheat) your phone while tethering anyway as tethering tends to kill a full battery in just a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Stick100 posted:

I've used Easy Tether (Google Play version not this version) on several phones/carriers/computers for years on and off with 100% success.

Easy Tether lets you tether to any Windows PC no matter what the carrier tries to do if you use a USB cable. I'd suggest getting this at least and then if you carry a Micro USB->USB cable along with whatever computer you want you can always easily tether (even getting around all tether Paywalls/Carrier lockouts/anything anyone else can try to block you with).

It usually a good to charge (slowly so you don't overheat) your phone while tethering anyway as tethering tends to kill a full battery in just a few hours.

Thank you, I'd never even heard of this, getting it for free is icing on the cake.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Is there a widget that will display photos from google photos rather than what's already on your phone?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Any suggestions for a good irc app?

Andchat doesn't seem to be notifying me at all of room updates

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doctor Butts posted:

You would need to set a highlight that matches just a wildcard. Normally IRC apps won't notify on every single line because then you end up getting dozens of notifications an hour.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

There are some suggestions on page 677.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I like quassel because it syncs multiple user points (home, phone, work, tablet, etc) into a single account and doesn't drop you off you lose signal for a minute or go onto WiFi.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I use the weechat proxy client because it is the best thing ever created and also why I switched away from irssi

which reminds me

grilldos posted:

JuiceSSH connecting to a VPS running weechat through tmux.
SON, you need to get https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubergeek42.WeechatAndroid in your life

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Google Maps was updated recently so you can change the Navigation Lady's voice level between 'louder, normal, and softer.'

On 'softer,' it no longer deafens me and is closer in volume to my music and podcasts.

So loving happy. FINALLY!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

I use the weechat proxy client because it is the best thing ever created and also why I switched away from irssi

which reminds me
SON, you need to get https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubergeek42.WeechatAndroid in your life

But my way I can also run sexy bash commands and have my tmux statusbar with scrolling Jerkcity episode titles.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Skywalker OG posted:

Google Maps was updated recently so you can change the Navigation Lady's voice level between 'louder, normal, and softer.'

On 'softer,' it no longer deafens me and is closer in volume to my music and podcasts.

So loving happy. FINALLY!

Finally. I can now simply crank the car bluetooth audio volume instead of loving with the YOUR HEADSET VOLUME WILL BE TOO LOUD dialog box on my phone to get decent music volume.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ruby idiot railed posted:

Finally. I can now simply crank the car bluetooth audio volume instead of loving with the YOUR HEADSET VOLUME WILL BE TOO LOUD dialog box on my phone to get decent music volume.

Never have I felt deafer than when I get this dialogue...constantly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ruby idiot railed posted:

I haven't seen this warning in a long time. I thought they removed it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I haven't seen this warning in a long time. I thought they removed it.

Nope. Still annoying

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Nope. Still annoying
I'm constantly turning my volume up to maximum, how do I trigger it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I get it in the middle of watching a video on MX player sometimes. Just out of nowhere the volume will suddenly drop, and when I go to turn it up there's that message. It used to just happen after a reset or whatever but now it can strike at any moment!!!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'm constantly turning my volume up to maximum, how do I trigger it?

Reboot your phone and try. Maybe it's a Samsung thing

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
It's not a Samsung thing; happens on my second gen Moto G also.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Might be a country thing. Aren't there laws in the UK about maximum allowed volumes?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Stick100 posted:

Easy Tether

Is there anything like this, but for using your phone as a MSC device?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Reboot your phone and try. Maybe it's a Samsung thing
I'm saying I haven't seen it in years. Maybe Ice Cream Sandwich or early Jelly Bean? It's been so long I can't remember, just that it was annoying a long time ago.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have an LG on KitKat 4.4.2, and I'll get the volume warning in any music player.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Since Lollipop its been a one time ask that persists through reboots. It would reset on on a reboot in KK

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Did lollipop come with some way to distinguish between different headphones? I don't have to turn the volume down when I go from the aux input in my car to my headphones anymore, or vice versa. It's handy, I'm just surprised they have a way to do that automatically.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
BBC iPlayer keeps crashing on launch for me. I'm on rooted stock 5.1 on an N5.

Does it work for anyone else on 5.1?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Same here

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Looking for app recommendations, followed by digression into UK banking:

I'm looking for a budget app. Be nice if it had an online version as well, and some accommodation of multiple accounts (bank balance, credit card balance, etc.), and regular payments in and out. Mint seems to be popular. Opinions?

I've heard about apps linking to and managing peoples bank accounts, getting live information out of them, etc. Which seemed cool, but there were few (if any) that worked with UK banks. I found one last year, but balked when it asked for the the username and account details of my online account - with which it could do anything with my money. Do they all work this way? It seems very vulnerable, not just in terms of the app company but also if they have a breach in security.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

outlier posted:

Looking for app recommendations, followed by digression into UK banking:

I'm looking for a budget app. Be nice if it had an online version as well, and some accommodation of multiple accounts (bank balance, credit card balance, etc.), and regular payments in and out. Mint seems to be popular. Opinions?

I've heard about apps linking to and managing peoples bank accounts, getting live information out of them, etc. Which seemed cool, but there were few (if any) that worked with UK banks. I found one last year, but balked when it asked for the the username and account details of my online account - with which it could do anything with my money. Do they all work this way? It seems very vulnerable, not just in terms of the app company but also if they have a breach in security.

I don't know how it would get your bank transactions and balances without your account info. I use mint and it's usually great (sometimes it has trouble connecting to certain accounts), but I have no idea how it works in the UK.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know how it would get your bank transactions and balances without your account info. I use mint and it's usually great (sometimes it has trouble connecting to certain accounts), but I have no idea how it works in the UK.

API tokens, a read-only interface, a restricted account, a third-party application API? My bank makes me jump through hoops to connect to my online account. Seems foolish to just hand the credentials over to another party.

As to how Mint works in other countries - seems it doesn't. They ask for your country when creating an account and bounce any non-US/Canada ones. I might lie just to get the budgeting tools.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

outlier posted:

API tokens, a read-only interface, a restricted account, a third-party application API? My bank makes me jump through hoops to connect to my online account. Seems foolish to just hand the credentials over to another party.

lol

Banks are institutionally incapable of implementing industry standards for such things in anything less than geological time frames. Half of the banks out there still have password formatting rules that make your account less secure. "6 to 8 characters, no symbols" all because their website is built in software running on a mainframe from 1988.

I think think there's a couple of providers all these banking apps contract with that maintain scrapers for all the different bank websites. It's a hilarious house of cards.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 23, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've posted this before but when I was subcontracted to a bank they paid a company to reimplement SSL instead of using an industry standard implementation, and they refused to give us (the app developers) any of the source code for that component.

Decisions in banks are made by a perfectly toxic combination of 1) dinosaurs, 2) lawyers and 3) middle managers with no actual expertise in anything that they are in charge of but they still get hired because that decision is made by the dinosaurs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

I've posted this before but when I was subcontracted to a bank they paid a company to reimplement SSL instead of using an industry standard implementation, and they refused to give us (the app developers) any of the source code for that component.

Decisions in banks are made by a perfectly toxic combination of 1) dinosaurs, 2) lawyers and 3) middle managers with no actual expertise in anything that they are in charge of but they still get hired because that decision is made by the dinosaurs.

What's worse, their risk management departments are typically insulated from that decision making process because doing things like "asking people to prove their identity" in the course of business gets in the way of profit. Those risk people then have to explain to investigators/auditors how they "allowed" (were lied to/kept blind about, usually) the jackwagons on the product side to make the terrible/illegal decisions they did.

There should be some form of "retire on this money and be immune from civil suits brought by the bank" bounty for folks who report activity like that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kinda glad I use Simple as my only bank since the app is kinda great and doesn't look like rear end.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skeezy posted:

Kinda glad I use Simple as my only bank since the app is kinda great and doesn't look like rear end.

The app/service is absolutely lovely, but I have a weird attachment to having a checkbook since I always worry about stuff like the landlord being leery of billpay-style checks.

I do use Simple for fun-money type stuff though, like morning coffee and bar tabs and other minor stuff. I'd love to hear from people who switched from mailing checks for rent to using Simple to mail checks automatically.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

What's worse, their risk management departments are typically insulated from that decision making process because doing things like "asking people to prove their identity" in the course of business gets in the way of profit. Those risk people then have to explain to investigators/auditors how they "allowed" (were lied to/kept blind about, usually) the jackwagons on the product side to make the terrible/illegal decisions they did.

There should be some form of "retire on this money and be immune from civil suits brought by the bank" bounty for folks who report activity like that.
There was certainly a bit of this but in most cases it was sort of the opposite problem. Nobody in project management understood security so they would let the security/legal department dictate how everything should work even when those people didn't really understand the project or what the real threats/risks were. So we'd spend a lot of time adding "security" but it wasn't actually any better than just doing it the simple way (e.g. using OpenSSL instead of writing your own) and it would cost a lot more time and money to do it. Everyone was scared of being responsible for bad security so they just passed the buck so far away that the decisions were ludicrous and illogical.

On the iOS version of the app we had to implement a custom keyboard which was built into the app because someone decided that the native iOS keyboard was potential insecure for entering passwords. This was back before iOS allowed third-party keyboards so while there was an argument for doing it on Android it made absolutely no sense for iOS. We were never able to get an explanation of what security risk the native keyboard represented because the person who made that decision was several vertical and horizontal steps away from the bank people that we worked with so you just couldn't ever get an answer for that kind of thing. It had been decided and that was that.

Spotted a spelling mistake in a copy document? If you report it you'll wait two weeks for it to get fixed, reviewed, and then reapproved by Legal. Entering it without the typo is against policy. End result: gently caress it, just put the typo in the app.

Basically just layers of people trying to cover their arse.

From my experience, the idea of a bank exposing a nice token-authenticated API for account data is, sadly, nothing but a pipe dream.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

The app/service is absolutely lovely, but I have a weird attachment to having a checkbook since I always worry about stuff like the landlord being leery of billpay-style checks.

My landlord happily takes billpay-style checks. They get it on time which puts you ahead of 90% of other renters.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

lol

Banks are institutionally incapable of implementing industry standards for such things in anything less than geological time frames. Half of the banks out there still have password formatting rules that make your account less secure. "6 to 8 characters, no symbols" all because their website is built in software running on a mainframe from 1988.

I think think there's a couple of providers all these banking apps contract with that maintain scrapers for all the different bank websites. It's a hilarious house of cards.

This. Mine, a local credit union who otherwise has been very awesome to me, also flags Google Play as an "overseas purchase" so I have to put my debit card on a temporary fraud protection exemption to buy apps by hitting up their chat support (which I'm surprised they have).

Edit: And yes, their password requirements are poo poo and their app is hilariously poo poo.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Well, thanks for all the info. You've convinced me to never give my banking details to any third party. Actually, I'm not sure even I should have them ...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

There was certainly a bit of this but in most cases it was sort of the opposite problem. Nobody in project management understood security so they would let the security/legal department dictate how everything should work even when those people didn't really understand the project or what the real threats/risks were. So we'd spend a lot of time adding "security" but it wasn't actually any better than just doing it the simple way (e.g. using OpenSSL instead of writing your own) and it would cost a lot more time and money to do it. Everyone was scared of being responsible for bad security so they just passed the buck so far away that the decisions were ludicrous and illogical.

On the iOS version of the app we had to implement a custom keyboard which was built into the app because someone decided that the native iOS keyboard was potential insecure for entering passwords. This was back before iOS allowed third-party keyboards so while there was an argument for doing it on Android it made absolutely no sense for iOS. We were never able to get an explanation of what security risk the native keyboard represented because the person who made that decision was several vertical and horizontal steps away from the bank people that we worked with so you just couldn't ever get an answer for that kind of thing. It had been decided and that was that.

Spotted a spelling mistake in a copy document? If you report it you'll wait two weeks for it to get fixed, reviewed, and then reapproved by Legal. Entering it without the typo is against policy. End result: gently caress it, just put the typo in the app.

Basically just layers of people trying to cover their arse.

From my experience, the idea of a bank exposing a nice token-authenticated API for account data is, sadly, nothing but a pipe dream.

:v: I can see that type of stuff happening, and frequently, with some of the risk folks involved with online payments. You have these old-guard people who are incredibly rigid doctrinaire types that can't cope with technology advances in risk mitigation and just glare at anything that wasn't namedropped in the last seminar they attended, 15 years ago. In those cases you can kind of understand why they aren't up to their elbows in the process since they'd throw a fit over, say, Yodlee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

outlier posted:

Well, thanks for all the info. You've convinced me to never give my banking details to any third party. Actually, I'm not sure even I should have them ...

Better not ever write a check either. Routing number and account number are printed right on there that anyone could use to draw funds from your account.

Watch your account balances like a hawk and keep the balance in your checking account as low as is manageable to limit damage if someone does gain access. That's about all you can do.

Oddly enough, no one can really do any damage to me if they did gain access to my online banking account. There's very limited ability in there to do anything. None of my full account numbers are visible and you can only transfer money between my accounts, not externally. The simple everyday check is more of a threat to my money than my bank's online portal.

• Locked thread