Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

Huh, looks like i just got a game with an AI who wont end their turn either. Reloading didn't help. :negative:

Ill fire it off to you, Gerblyn.

Thanks man! Weird that this glitch never turned up before, hopefully we'll be able to get a fix out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Clearly the AI has decided that the only winning move is to not play at all.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Actually, the AI has decided the best move is to repeatedly declare war on a player that has already been defeated! This is obviously impossible, and another piece of code prevents the AI's command from going through, but that doesn't stop the AI from trying!

Anyways, I can't fix the save games I'm afraid :( Hopefully we'll get an update out very soon so you guys can keep playing.

Edit: To be clear, once a fix is out the save games will be fixed. I mean I can't fix the save games and mail them back so you can guys can keep playing before the fix is published.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 23, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Whats the most changed/improved race/class combo now?

Orc druid?
Human and dwarf theocrat?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Warlord gets a scout and a bunch of new racial bonuses, so off the top of my head I'd be willing to bet Elf Warlord

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
To be honest, Elf Warlord has always been the pro choice for good units, at least as far as I know. That said, a Human Warlord or Dreadnaught with access to a Crystal Garden can quickly be a terrifying powerhouse as practically all their units are armoured and that +10 production bonus can really help, especially if that Dreadnaught has Mana Fuel Cells cast on his city.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Crusaders become even more cost effective with the enchanted armoury due to defender. Having a warlord hero will let them trade favourably but a hero with another damage channel is probably better in the early game. In any case, a crystal tree is enough incentive to build a city around it and keep it on crusader production for the rest of the game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

To be honest, Elf Warlord has always been the pro choice for good units, at least as far as I know.

Since when? Previously they got good mounted archers and subpar everything else

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Since when? Previously they got good mounted archers and subpar everything else

Nah. +1 Res and Forestry on Warlord units is actually really good, more useful then +def or + HP or whatever. It's not like elves have any stat penalties aside from blight weakness. High Elf has always been arguably the best Warlord race.

Orc Warbreed with Tireless are definitely a thing, though. And Dwarf Berserkers are really cost effective while Goblins had the best Monster Hunter. But overall I would say Elf Warlord is the best and most flexible.

It's a bit more even now at least with the new abilities. Orcs get Warcry on pretty much everything, Dwarves get Phalanxes and Manticores with defensive strike, Humans get buffed Mounted Archers, ect.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I always over valued Longbowmen something crazy, to the point that I struggled to use any other starting race. Elf addiction :gay:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Daktari posted:

I always over valued Longbowmen something crazy, to the point that I struggled to use any other starting race. Elf addiction :gay:

The first step to overcoming chronic elf addiction is admitting you have a problem.

Me, I went most of the beta without touching elves because hell man there were enough elf exclusive players swarming around that it didn't feel remotely necessary. Take it from me, there is life worth living outside of longbows!

Granted it helped that both of the new races are super-cool. And I'm especially happy about all the Druid buffs because it means I can play the class without always going elf for the Longbow Hunters.

Kinda want to try Elf Theocrat now, though. I never liked that combo in the past. Even as a tester there's so many combos that there's still lots of stuff I haven't tried.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Daktari posted:

Play goblins! Swarm Darters are better than longbowmen in most cases (exceptions being high resistance and blight immune targets), you also get these cute little naked guys who smell so bad that everyone near them will fumble their attacks :3:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Play goblins! Swarm Darters are better than longbowmen in most cases (exceptions being high resistance and blight immune targets), you also get these cute little naked guys who smell so bad that everyone near them will fumble their attacks :3:

You know, this is what everyone says in theory, but in practice I've always found that swarm darters have a tendency to do Totally Crap Damage way more often than longbows do. I also think they're significantly more fragile?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Whats the most changed/improved race/class combo now?

Orc druid?
Human and dwarf theocrat?

Draconian everything is in a pretty great place right now. Raptors having split physical/fire damage makes them excellent cavalry, especially if you have an Elder to buff them. Or buff your Leader. Elders are really great poo poo. Fire Strike is like Guardian Flames on mega 'roids.

I'm hopelessly addicted to Draconians because Fast Healing just gives you so much more momentum for early game exploration. You can get away with a lot, thanks to it, and I frequently skip over Natural Healer type Leader level up buffs in favor of other stuff due to the glorious crutch of Draconian Fast Healing. Lets you pick up stuff like Sacred Arms and Chaplain that much faster.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've never really got into Draconians - made use of them as a secondary race in my empire, but never as the main one. Any particularly good combinations you'd recommend?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

You know, this is what everyone says in theory, but in practice I've always found that swarm darters have a tendency to do Totally Crap Damage way more often than longbows do. I also think they're significantly more fragile?

5hp less, yeah.

Technically, Longbowmen are better against targets with resistance higher than 10, while darters are better against targets with resistance less than 10. Since most units will have a resistance of 11 or more when guarding, darters do less damage. The wide prevalance of blight resistance doesn't help darters very much either. Use of weaken and disgusting stench helps alot, and darters definitely outshine longbowmen in siege attack.

So, I guess "most cases" should be "some cases".

Fluffy Tail
Jan 3, 2012

"I am the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega. The first and the last."

Chaos Dunk

ninjewtsu posted:

Lots of units have blight resistance, and their damage without that is quite low. Golems in particular really make their day miserable.

I think Razorbows are the worst archer, I just cannot get them to work, and the First Strike promotion at gold is plain weird on an archer, even an orc one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

I've never really got into Draconians - made use of them as a secondary race in my empire, but never as the main one. Any particularly good combinations you'd recommend?

Draconian Rogue is awesome. Evolve some Scoundrels pronto and be flinging around fire, ice, and Blight damage galore. Draconian Rogues are really good at having a ton of damage channels.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Fluffy Tail posted:

I think Razorbows are the worst archer, I just cannot get them to work, and the First Strike promotion at gold is plain weird on an archer, even an orc one.

That's by design; orcs are for face smashing, not puny bow use!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Razorbows are basically a joke unit. Fortunately you have the best racial irregular in the game so you aren't exactly hurting for early-game options.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fluffy Tail posted:

Lots of units have blight resistance, and their damage without that is quite low. Golems in particular really make their day miserable.

God help you if you come up against undead with your swarm-darter-reliant army, too.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Draconians are really good. For basically any class they give you tons of fire damage, (which is hard to get from classes, actually) good healing, and strong flyers. They're kind of meh for Dreads because they already have fire damage and Draconians aren't armored, but for most classes they're deceptively good.

Draconian Rogue is ace because Rogue doesn't get any healing normally, your Assassins have improved climb, your Flyers get backstab, Your Succubi get better melee damage, and Draconic Ancestory is still an amazing buff. Plus fire damage all over the place combined with blight and cold you get naturally means lot of options.

Draconian Warlord is also good because again, you've got lots of healing on a class that has nada, and lots of fire damage to get around physical protection that's normally the bane of your existance. Main downside is just not having any really strong racial Cav units to buff though you do get Fire Manticores now.

Draconian Druid also works really well. Druid is stuck with physical and blight damage, so the splash of fire damage is really helpful. Plus you can run around with mega-buffed flamers and the only Shaman who gets two types of ranged damage.

Draconian Sorc is good for lots of reasons. It's hard to go wrong with Mass Elders or firebomb Apprentices and you've got flyers to keep up with your summons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm hopelessly addicted to Draconians because Fast Healing just gives you so much more momentum for early game exploration. You can get away with a lot, thanks to it, and I frequently skip over Natural Healer type Leader level up buffs in favor of other stuff due to the glorious crutch of Draconian Fast Healing. Lets you pick up stuff like Sacred Arms and Chaplain that much faster.
This but orcs. So easy to roll multiple fights a turn.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Open beta is updated again:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/update-v1-5-patch-notes/page/9/#post-171168

The AI hang issue should be fixed now, you should just be able to load the save and keep playing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

madmac posted:

Draconians are really good. For basically any class they give you tons of fire damage, (which is hard to get from classes, actually) good healing, and strong flyers. They're kind of meh for Dreads because they already have fire damage and Draconians aren't armored, but for most classes they're deceptively good.

Draconian Rogue is ace because Rogue doesn't get any healing normally, your Assassins have improved climb, your Flyers get backstab, Your Succubi get better melee damage, and Draconic Ancestory is still an amazing buff. Plus fire damage all over the place combined with blight and cold you get naturally means lot of options.

Draconian Warlord is also good because again, you've got lots of healing on a class that has nada, and lots of fire damage to get around physical protection that's normally the bane of your existance. Main downside is just not having any really strong racial Cav units to buff though you do get Fire Manticores now.

Draconian Druid also works really well. Druid is stuck with physical and blight damage, so the splash of fire damage is really helpful. Plus you can run around with mega-buffed flamers and the only Shaman who gets two types of ranged damage.

Draconian Sorc is good for lots of reasons. It's hard to go wrong with Mass Elders or firebomb Apprentices and you've got flyers to keep up with your summons.

I dunno man, I'd take Raptors over Orcish Black Knights any day.

Human Knights and Goblin Big Beetles are obviously better but Raptors are really cost efficient with Thoroughbreds.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Hmm, Apprentices now having floating instead of invisibility at gold veterancy. That's a fairly significant change - I guess it's a much better upgrade for singleplayer, since the AI doesn't really care about invis anyway, but potentially less good for multiplayer? Although more mobility never hurts anyway.

madmac posted:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Draconian Rogue is awesome. Evolve some Scoundrels pronto and be flinging around fire, ice, and Blight damage galore. Draconian Rogues are really good at having a ton of damage channels.

This sounds really good. Draconian Rogue especially, that lack of healing really screws with my usual early-game play.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Hmm, Apprentices now having floating instead of invisibility at gold veterancy. That's a fairly significant change - I guess it's a much better upgrade for singleplayer, since the AI doesn't really care about invis anyway, but potentially less good for multiplayer? Although more mobility never hurts anyway.

It's not even that useful in MP, no other sorcerer unit has concealment, so you can't really combine the unit with anything else to set up ambushing armies, and unsupported apprentices are pretty weak. Gold level apprentices are valuable units too, not really something you want to send off on their own to go scouting or anything.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
And I guess if you want to do concealment shenanigans one of the sorcerer hero upgrades is to make the entire stack invisible, right? Or have invisible-in-domain spells. Makes sense, then.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah the apprentice thing sounds way better then it actually is. At best it means you can stick an elite apprentice or two (and you got to get them to gold first) in a floating summon stack to provide a small amount of healing and ranged support. Which is honestly pretty eh because almost all your summons are better fighters than your apprentices and if you really need mobile healing you're the class that can whip up flying mounts for your heroes so whatever man.

I mean it's a nice perk and all don't get me wrong I'm just jaded from all the whining about it I've already been subjected to.

quote:

I dunno man, I'd take Raptors over Orcish Black Knights any day.

Human Knights and Goblin Big Beetles are obviously better but Raptors are really cost efficient with Thoroughbreds.

I really meant more compared to Knights, Big Beetles and Griffons but Black Knights are no joke. It's true though that Raptors are a solid option, it's just not as strong as some.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 23, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Going back to Total Awareness and Elven Druids, Elven Shamans are probably going to be supremely annoying. Flank immunity is really good, but mostly on units that never want to be in a position to use it and probably don't need to be flanked to die if they get caught in melee (does it also protect you from taking flank damage on opportunity attacks from running out of melee?). However, Shamans are big beefcake supports with a fight-swinging touch spell and having one be able to just walk up to your battle line and root whatever it feels like while giving no fucks about getting flanked afterwards sounds like it could potentially be infuriating, especially on the race that already gets Longbow Hunters.

That +1 Resist bonus is probably going to be worth twice as much post-patch with elemental damage becoming much more accessible all around (RIP Orcs).

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Elf Shamans are very good, but wait until you see Frostling and Tigran Shamans..

Shaman changes in general are some of my favorites. You've got Zen Elves, Tanky Dwarves (Hehehe Dwarf Racial Upgrades) Fire Shooting Draconians, Super Mega Blight Damage Goblins, Dodgy Morale Boosting Halflings from hell, ect.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just from kicking around a little bit, it feels like the early game is a bit more lethal. Part of this may just be the AI knowing how to make full use of phase and other "murder this unit" abilities, but it also seems like a lot of previously underwhelming units got solid perks that make them truly dangerous to play against (ie, flying Chargers, lots of elemental damage and dual-channels on basic racial units, Warcry, etc). This isn't a bad thing, but I've been losing more units clearing than on previous playthroughs.

Again, this might be because I'm playing Orcs and suddenly elemental damage is loving everywhere.

EDIT: Added you on steam as gently caress Romans Get Money

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 23, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The world is definitely a more dangerous place now, between the AI tweaks and all the racial/unit buffs.

Of course you have the same tools but there's a lot of stuff that can blindside you now, and I find having some source of elemental damage to be pretty much essential with all the physical protection floating around.

Though if you think things are harsh now, wait until all the new races and units and spawning structures and treasure sites and random events get added.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Trying to clear out some Archon Infantry with a Theocrat hero is probably the worst blindside I've had so far. :stare:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Trying to clear out some Archon Infantry with a Theocrat hero is probably the worst blindside I've had so far. :stare:

Heheh. Did I mention Archons were buffed? Cause that was a thing that happened.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

madmac posted:

Heheh. Did I mention Archons were buffed? Cause that was a thing that happened.

What exactly did they all get? I noticed the infantry had evil champion or whatever that adds 5 fire damage against devout, a great middle finger to the common tactic of "grab a theo hero, free ride through tombs".

Tombs are legit scary now with chant of unlife, too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Open beta is updated again:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/update-v1-5-patch-notes/page/9/#post-171168

The AI hang issue should be fixed now, you should just be able to load the save and keep playing.

Hooray the benevolent mafia rides again :toot:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Carnalfex posted:

What exactly did they all get? I noticed the infantry had evil champion or whatever that adds 5 fire damage against devout, a great middle finger to the common tactic of "grab a theo hero, free ride through tombs".

Tombs are legit scary now with chant of unlife, too.

It gets a lot easier once you realize you can stand your units on top of corpses to stop them from reviving, so you actually have a degree of control over what comes back, if anything.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Ojetor posted:

It gets a lot easier once you realize you can stand your units on top of corpses to stop them from reviving, so you actually have a degree of control over what comes back, if anything.

Question: If you've got hero resurge on, your hero bites it in a tomb fight, you stand on their head, do they resurge after you win? Or are they still considered ghouled and don't resurge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Carnalfex posted:

Question: If you've got hero resurge on, your hero bites it in a tomb fight, you stand on their head, do they resurge after you win? Or are they still considered ghouled and don't resurge?

They should, the hero won't actually be ghouled until they get back up.

• Locked thread