Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

No I mean I know how she plays and don't know how most of you play. I know she constantly plays like five concurrent mafia games here so I'm sure you're all familiar with her style also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Max posted:

This is a terrible argument.

Shrug. It's the truth.

As for the other bit I'm sticking to my guns about that, I know you disagree

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Shark Mafia posted:

Shrug. It's the truth.

As for the other bit I'm sticking to my guns about that, I know you disagree

Fine. I do think Vorbis is an atrocious choice over Ecco, I'm hoping you at least see that.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Clearly I do not see that, no. whether he is actually a good lynch besides being better than ecco remains to be seen

I don't think lynching her (ecco) will be an issue because she'll pretty much be the default lazy lynch if we don't have anything else good. That's what being a non-town known quantity gets you. There is no pressing urge to dispatch her, and the people who are voting her don't have to justify themselves well, so why do it?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Mod Note: I literally woke up to make that post and did it while still in bed; I intended there to be flavor specifically about the challenge resulting in that anonymous vote, yes.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was actually OK letting ecco go until this post:

EccoRaven posted:

Hey Hiipfire instead of being a lovely poster you should vote Lord Vorbis with me. I know I just promised Poque I'd look into you tomorrow if he joined, but if you vote LV with me I promise my review will be very charitable and make the benefit of the doubt.

Also, obviously the oath thing, which is unsettling.

I also have a problem with this:

EccoRaven posted:

also for the record I am totally and completely and absolutely comfortable with any and every investigative role in the game targeting me whenever and however often they like; nothing they discover would contradict anything I've said so far or would ever say this game.

*flies back into the hole*

I just don't see Ecco really working for the town and we'll have to get rid of her eventually, which gives her no real incentive to actually help.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it's taking a lot of willpower to not shout "I CAN CONFIRM ECCO'S ROLE" and hammer but I know she's gonna flip what she claimed so bump that.

that said I don't understand the case on Vorbis at all besides "wanting to vote out a 3p" which like 6 or 7 or all of us have wanted to do at some point during this day anyway

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Okay so actually my big issue with voting lordvorbis is that ghostgangster is voting for him, and I don't like that guy's posts.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Poque posted:

it's taking a lot of willpower to not shout "I CAN CONFIRM ECCO'S ROLE" and hammer but I know she's gonna flip what she claimed so bump that.

that said I don't understand the case on Vorbis at all besides "wanting to vote out a 3p" which like 6 or 7 or all of us have wanted to do at some point during this day anyway

Just do it

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Max posted:

I was actually OK letting ecco go until this post:

That post was a joke based on the one right before it!

Max posted:

Also, obviously the oath thing, which is unsettling.

Why? Even she has admitted it's a crappy thing to do but she's okay doing it here because it's rare for her.

Max posted:

I also have a problem with this:

I just don't see Ecco really working for the town and we'll have to get rid of her eventually, which gives her no real incentive to actually help.

What's she's doing is intentionally saying whatever she can to fulfill her win condition with the least amount of effort. How are we playing to the town win condition right now by playing the easiest and safest possible vote?

D1 is immensely valuable because it's painfully obvious later in the game who really was okay with interacting with any and all players organically and naturally with no pre-information, and who wasn't. We're wasting it now.

Additionally, Ecco has actually cased LordVorbis! That's one more case than most people voting for her have provided the thread.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Poque posted:

Please do just confirm it.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

hey shut up we're having *a discussion* here why you trying to end the day early

##vote rurea

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Poque posted:

read vorbis's posts in context and ask yourself if the tone he maintains is because he's townie or because he's scum going 'BEEP BOOP THIS IS HOW TOWN WOULD INTERPRET THESE POSTS, MUST BEAT THEM TO THE PUNCH'

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I misread that statement. Do not confirm by hammering.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ernie. posted:

read vorbis's posts in context and ask yourself if the tone he maintains is because he's townie or because he's scum going 'BEEP BOOP THIS IS HOW TOWN WOULD INTERPRET THESE POSTS, MUST BEAT THEM TO THE PUNCH'

that's exactly what I said about ecco earlier though after her pre-emptive "here's why arguments that haven't been made will be bad" earlier. i will re-read him though.

Max posted:

I misread that statement. Do not confirm by hammering.

:v:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I thought you were softclaiming and were going to claim something. I didn't realize you were just saying you would hammer.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if only. but i don't think it merits confirmation by fire at this point.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Reading Vorbis in context I don't really see anything out of whack. I like that he recognized PMush's weirdness as not being scummy instead of trying the easy copout of "this is strange ergo it is scum" that we see too often. And imo his questioning on Ecco felt a lot like mine, we just arrived at different conclusions and I can't fault him for that.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

what if pmush is a lyncher and she has to kill me? :ohdear:

it would be amazing if she's transposed her role onto me as her only contribution of worth in this game

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

flatluigi posted:

[[ (sorry, I slept in) ]]

Slacker.

Ernie. posted:

does anyone really think Ecco of all people would put her honor on the line as a lie?

Her honor as a Tully? Yeah, I'd say telling a lie would fit that, and I think Ecco would absolutely be the type to hide behind that distinction.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i haven't actually listened to the flatluigi posts from earlier. are they relevant to the game? i never click youtube or vocaroo thingies in mafia games because I figure it's just people bullshitting around with music

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Poque posted:

i haven't actually listened to the flatluigi posts from earlier. are they relevant to the game? i never click youtube or vocaroo thingies in mafia games because I figure it's just people bullshitting around with music

the brass youtube video was particularly cool

the vocaroo things are honestly too robotic sounding to make sense

Byers2142 posted:

Her honor as a Tully? Yeah, I'd say telling a lie would fit that, and I think Ecco would absolutely be the type to hide behind that distinction.

byers, i don't know where in this game we're going off in different directions, but your 'if you claim it later ecco i won't believe you' was a coercion mechanic that ecco flippantly decided not to follow until too late

that doesn't mean that all the underlying logic of why policy cuddling 3ps is a bad idea has gone away!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shark Mafia posted:

Okay so actually my big issue with voting lordvorbis is that ghostgangster is voting for him, and I don't like that guy's posts.

Let tell me tell you about a little thing called bussing

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Okay so yeah ghostlygangsta, the guy who makes me uneasy about vorbis. I don't like his posts. Look I even quoted some, how helpful

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

Precariously fixed to and part of the flesh of a great man, I observe. Always watching. Always listening. Like the mammalucco of the year.

##vote Shark Mafia

Catching up on this was crazy.

First he votes me and that's fine but he doesn't actually justify himself in the post. Later he attempts to justify himself and seems to be concurring with max's view of it? I find that suspicious because as has just been established max was misinterpreting the sequence of events. Anyone that latched on to his train of thought and agreed with it clearly wasn't looking/trying very hard!

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

##unvote
##vote Byers2142

I agree with this, this was how he played in the last game I was in and flipped scum and so far he is kind of reading the same. Posting in regards to the hot topics but not committing to any of them. I suppose I'm kind of doing this too at the moment having gone from Shark Mafia to Rurea back to Shark Mafia and now Byers, but it's what I feel. Out of my votes, I feel Rurea to be the weakest. Although, I think Shark's is spiteful more than funny.

Wasn't King Burgundy Microsoft Sam?

Then he quotes another person and switches to byers. His main justification for doing this is that he 'agrees' but then he takes a sentence to preemptively defend himself and acknowledge that 'oh I've been switching my votes a lot.' Feels self conscious to me I don't know about you guys

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

I don't know your "meta" so I can't attest to whether or not it's not how you normally act, but you read scummy to me. Kind of all over the place, aggressively, but not sloppily and then honing in on a vote once the bandwagon started rolling.

Unfortunately, you won't get axed today and I feel the same way about Vorbis so...

##unvote
##vote LordVorbis

Then whoa ho lordvorbis vote because 'I feel the same.' See this guy seems kind of like a low-effort low-profile hanger-on and I don't like that.

so yeah he's a decent vote I'll vote him here goes (ALTHOUGH I DON'T LIKE WHAT RUREA JUST DID MUCH STILL) ##vote ghostly gangsta

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Let tell me tell you about a little thing called bussing

too late im committed to this train of thought. its a radical train

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel you on GG and he pretty much posted the quinesential newscum.txt here:

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

Fair assessment, probably true too. I figured it was D1 and I had some time to be silly/absent. I mean I don't have any good reads on anyone at the moment and out of the actions made by ecco, rurea and shark, I feel shark to be scummiest in motive.

##vote Shark Mafia

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ernie. posted:

byers, i don't know where in this game we're going off in different directions, but your 'if you claim it later ecco i won't believe you' was a coercion mechanic that ecco flippantly decided not to follow until too late

that doesn't mean that all the underlying logic of why policy cuddling 3ps is a bad idea has gone away!

Yes, it has, because the logic was based in the discussion that town and 3P can work together. Ecco shows no signs of working with town, and has an action. She's anti-town at that point, and you don't purposefully leave an anti-town player in the game.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

Yes, it has, because the logic was based in the discussion that town and 3P can work together. Ecco shows no signs of working with town, and has an action. She's anti-town at that point, and you don't purposefully leave an anti-town player in the game.

she has cased lordvorbis simultaneously with me when i did it

she's done this while being at the brunt of all the momentum in the thread

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Essential. Me can't type gud.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i feel if GG was scum that post would be

'Yeah, I feel shark is bad!! ##vote shark. lol lol olo i'm sneaky'

Specifying that they find Shark worse than someone else is information that newbie scum would tend to be wary of giving away (lest one of the other two flip scum ... or all flip town).

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ernie. posted:

she has cased lordvorbis simultaneously with me when i did it

she's done this while being at the brunt of all the momentum in the thread

Vorbis is attacking her. It's self-preservation.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Shark Mafia posted:

Okay so yeah ghostlygangsta, the guy who makes me uneasy about vorbis. I don't like his posts. Look I even quoted some, how helpful

First he votes me and that's fine but he doesn't actually justify himself in the post. Later he attempts to justify himself and seems to be concurring with max's view of it? I find that suspicious because as has just been established max was misinterpreting the sequence of events. Anyone that latched on to his train of thought and agreed with it clearly wasn't looking/trying very hard!

Then he quotes another person and switches to byers. His main justification for doing this is that he 'agrees' but then he takes a sentence to preemptively defend himself and acknowledge that 'oh I've been switching my votes a lot.' Feels self conscious to me I don't know about you guys

Then whoa ho lordvorbis vote because 'I feel the same.' See this guy seems kind of like a low-effort low-profile hanger-on and I don't like that.

so yeah he's a decent vote I'll vote him here goes (ALTHOUGH I DON'T LIKE WHAT RUREA JUST DID MUCH STILL) ##vote ghostly gangsta

You lead a town to their death and I'm the scum? Get real.

Also I have a bad feeling about Max. I don't know his "meta" and I think "meta" reads are somewhat ridiculous, but he seems overly aggressive with his witch hunt.

In regards to my absence, the game exploded on the weekend. I got stuffs to do, I mean I'm at work now and definitely have stuffs to do, but that time mostly belongs to my boo or weird obligations. :shrug:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

"I don't have any good reads on anyone at the moment" has always been the clarion call of new scum in my mind.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

Vorbis is attacking her. It's self-preservation.

so is everyone else and the case '___ is lazy and hiding behind a 3p vote' is an easy one to make

she didn't take the easy route out

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Max posted:

"I don't have any good reads on anyone at the moment" has always been the clarion call of new scum in my mind.

maybe but then they gave their reads
and newer players are always incapable of keeping up because our forum culture isn't ingrained in their head yet

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

this is bad on the other hand, it's grandstanding

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

Also I have a bad feeling about Max. I don't know his "meta" and I think "meta" reads are somewhat ridiculous, but he seems overly aggressive with his witch hunt.

It's true you wouldn't know much about Meta since you're new. Please don't conflate with aggressive with scum though, that's going to throw you off.

But seriously, it was a scummy post.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

In regards to my absence, the game exploded on the weekend. I got stuffs to do, I mean I'm at work now and definitely have stuffs to do, but that time mostly belongs to my boo or weird obligations. :shrug:

Shouldn't a bolded 'get real' justify saying something else instead of immediately switching focus to a different person? Do you think I'm scum?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ernie. posted:

so is everyone else and the case '___ is lazy and hiding behind a 3p vote' is an easy one to make

she didn't take the easy route out

I disagree; she's cased Vorbis who is voting her primarily for voting her, and keeps trying to excuse herself from the thread.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Like seriously look at that post, kill that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Ernie. posted:

maybe but then they gave their reads
and newer players are always incapable of keeping up because our forum culture isn't ingrained in their head yet

this is bad on the other hand, it's grandstanding

Being new, I'm not sure what indicates scumminess, and talking about newness gets old quick.

But seriously, Shark Mafia, deliberately lured someone to their deaths, everyone was up in arms about it earlier, but then it was decided it was random even when he stated that it was more intentional. Max was the only one holding onto that vote, and then we all jumped on either EccoRaven or LordVorbis. I don't think bandwagoning is scummy because if it is, we pretty much all joined one side or the other.

Shark Mafia posted:

Like seriously look at that post, kill that guy

:getin:

• Locked thread