Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Atoramos posted:

This is actually the second thing you've posted I don't like, but I never like 'Let's lynch this person because they've been the center of discussion, maybe he'll be scum!' votes.

I made the case on Crazyeyes, who continued to give me reason to think he's a good lynch. I'm not going to pretend to be certain when I'm not. It's also true to say that I'll get more from lynching someone people have discussed more than someone they haven't.

Bluntness is just part of my game, I think it's pretty disingenuous to call my vote a "let's lynch this person because :words:", don't you? I really have no idea how to read you so I don't care to OMGUS, I want to weed out the more egregious players first.

I am a bit more blunt and un-fun than usual but I joined this game as a brief distraction to the final days of writing my dissertation, it's not really affecting my posting or critical thinking here but man I'm just no fun to be around atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
what is youre dissertation on

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

you would vote? then why haven't you?

I am voting.

It's a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation. If I don't vote, you complain and call that scummy. If I do, obvious OMGUS case. Obvious trap.

I was saying I would be comfortable voting him if it came to it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Crazyeyes posted:

I am voting.

It's a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation. If I don't vote, you complain and call that scummy. If I do, obvious OMGUS case. Obvious trap.

I asked you a question

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.

Crazyeyes posted:

I am voting.

no I am asking why you aren't voting for the person you said you would vote for.

nobody has accused you of OMGUS at all because you haven't done that, voting for someone voting for you isn't automatically OMGUS

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

King of Bleh posted:

Do you dispute that you placed an obvious joke vote on someone after voicing a legitimate, non-joke suspicion of them?

The two are unrelated but no I do not dispute it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

TheRam posted:

Bluntness is just part of my game, I think it's pretty disingenuous to call my vote a "let's lynch this person because :words:", don't you? I really have no idea how to read you so I don't care to OMGUS, I want to weed out the more egregious players first.

This is fair. And yes, you stated the case. I don't like seeing the extra justification 'so many people have spoken about this player its a valuable lynch.' because it's possible (and worthwhile) to discuss these connections before the flip, and the 'He might flip scum...' also rubs me wrong. It reads like a weird justification for the case you already made.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

no I am asking why you aren't voting for the person you said you would vote for.

nobody has accused you of OMGUS at all because you haven't done that, voting for someone voting for you isn't automatically OMGUS

If someone votes for you, and you immediately follow up by voting them, it is universally seen as OMGUS.

And I am voting for one of the people I said I would vote for.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Crazyeyes posted:

The two are unrelated but no I do not dispute it.

You don't see any problem at all with doing something like that? Because intentionally muddying the waters of how serious your suspicion on someone is seems pretty beneficial play for a scum, not so much for a town.

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

If someone votes for you, and you immediately follow up by voting them, it is universally seen as OMGUS.

no it isn't. have you not played mafia before

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I don't quite get how Crazyeyes bases his vote for AC's comments in the early game (which AC then goes into more detail), but then wants us all to ignore his "joke" vote. He immediately backpedals away from that vote, only to double down and remote the same person.

I am happy with where my vote is.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Crazyeyes posted:

Literally scummiest post of the game right here.

I want to know the logic behind this.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Orvin posted:

I don't quite get how Crazyeyes bases his vote for AC's comments in the early game (which AC then goes into more detail), but then wants us all to ignore his "joke" vote. He immediately backpedals away from that vote, only to double down and remote the same person.

I am happy with where my vote is.

Let's assume Crazy flips scum. What does that lead you for D2 opinions?

Now what if Crazy flips town?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

what is youre dissertation on

I'm trying to figure out if a process that lets certain bacteria break down the bad stuff from oil is also regulated by a system that bacteria use to figure out how many of their bros are around. So basically have they evolved to do more oil degrading stuff in response to signals from their bros that let them know there are lots of them. Bacteria have different behaviours depending on if they're surrounded by friends, basically. A cool example is when they know their bros are about they pump out sticky stuff that lets them all gel together and make a blob that degrades things really well and is really safe from things that might harm them.

It's like principally how it's only really possible to build a fort if you anticipate an attack if you have friends to help you, if you don't you might be better off just hiding underground. If you tried to build the fort alone you would surely die when bad guys rocked up.

That's not supposed to sound patronising, it's really hard to explain it without using lots of biology terminology.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

I am voting.

I don't think anyone is trapping you...

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

TheRam posted:

I'm trying to figure out if a process that lets certain bacteria break down the bad stuff from oil is also regulated by a system that bacteria use to figure out how many of their bros are around. So basically have they evolved to do more oil degrading stuff in response to signals from their bros that let them know there are lots of them. Bacteria have different behaviours depending on if they're surrounded by friends, basically. A cool example is when they know their bros are about they pump out sticky stuff that lets them all gel together and make a blob that degrades things really well and is really safe from things that might harm them.

It's like principally how it's only really possible to build a fort if you anticipate an attack if you have friends to help you, if you don't you might be better off just hiding underground. If you tried to build the fort alone you would surely die when bad guys rocked up.

That's not supposed to sound patronising, it's really hard to explain it without using lots of biology terminology.

lol nothing from a biologist is going to sound patronizing to me

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Atoramos posted:

This is fair. And yes, you stated the case. I don't like seeing the extra justification 'so many people have spoken about this player its a valuable lynch.' because it's possible (and worthwhile) to discuss these connections before the flip, and the 'He might flip scum...' also rubs me wrong. It reads like a weird justification for the case you already made.

Eh, I want to be part of the game but also this D1 kind of sucks to be honest. I'm not worried about justifying my case to defend myself, but I do want people to vote who I want to vote so I'm just explaining where I'm at. I definitely can't be assed to figure out who looks good and bad based off of Crazy's flip today when I could just do it tomorrow if he gets lynched when I know I've not been NK'd...

If I make the effort and die then chances are it'll get ignored and my flipping town doesn't make my opinions magically more insightful than anyone elses so who cares?

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

im enjoying this d1. it is a more obvious lynch candidate than you'd usually get d1. I hope that's because crazyeyes is actually a mafia instead of stupid

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

if crazy flips scum im going to look at the people who awkwardly hopped off my bandwagon (such as canuckistan)

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Actually Atoramos is asking pre-flip implications from Orvin, so I guess I really can't argue against anything that makes anyone less confident post more. I just feel the need to point out I am pretty much done this game day unless I'm forced to pick between two non-Crazyeyes people.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Yeah I don't think any of the active players are going to change their mind today but I'd like to hear literally anything from the lurkers before we end the day.

ninja e: canuck and worthy uhh, for clarity

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

TheRam posted:

If I make the effort and die then chances are it'll get ignored and my flipping town doesn't make my opinions magically more insightful than anyone elses so who cares?

I usually do care about pre-flip analysis from NK'ed town. Its usually pretty telling why that person was NK'ed.

That said I pitched a slow ball that I'll patiently wait to get hit.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Atoramos posted:

MiR - 2 posts of content, thinks wasting day 1 is scummy and thinks there are too many scumtells to scumhunt based on behavior.

Wow, this is an amazing mischaracterization of what I've said

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My "too many scumtells" post was a sarcastic response to Alasdair's lousy logic

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ram is trying to play Town Captain to the point where he knows he'd draw an NK if he were town, which is suspicious to me
Alasdair is being overly reductive of our ability to gain information today, almost to the point of obstructionism

Those are my main two thoughts. I am going to reread the game now.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

if crazy flips scum im going to look at the people who awkwardly hopped off my bandwagon (such as canuckistan)

I hopped off since others said there were other people worthy of looking at. Maybe it's blinders but I can't see them and I still got a scum vibe on you.

##vote: Alasdair Crawfish

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

a worthy uhh posted:

Ram is trying to play Town Captain to the point where he knows he'd draw an NK if he were town, which is suspicious to me
Alasdair is being overly reductive of our ability to gain information today, almost to the point of obstructionism

Those are my main two thoughts. I am going to reread the game now.

What do you think about the guy we're actually going to lynch, though

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

King of Bleh posted:

What do you think about the guy we're actually going to lynch, though

Readthrough of his posts:

posts a medium-strength attack on alasdair for the 'list' and being wishy-washy and forcing towniness
OMGUSes alasdair
says it's 'obviously a joke'
unvotes
comes up with a long post about a handful of people, revotes alasdair
tells the cop what to do, this is a thing that IMO is usually a scumtell
responds to alasdair like 75% of his content
doesn't recognize my name (i'm Me In Reverse of 2008 mafia fame)
reiterates his first vote for alasdair was a joke
reiterates again

He's spent almost all of his time playing back and forth with Alasdair and doing not much else. I am probably on board with his lynch but I feel like he and Alasdair aren't scum bussing eachother, not on D1 like this, because they've made themselves center stage, so my thoughts on Alasdair oppose my thoughts on Crazy.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

My "too many scumtells" post was a sarcastic response to Alasdair's lousy logic

The 'lousy logic' that his being bombastic wasn't a legitimate scumtell? Because that logic's not lousy and your response literally reads like it's too hard to read players in mafia because scum are sneaky.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

His point was WIFOM, nothing more

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

His point was WIFOM, nothing more

imo the entire break from jokephase and into d1 was due to Alasdair getting trained to 4 votes thanks to his 'bombastic' play so I don't see him posting about it as WIFOM

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ironic, then, that Alasdair suggested a turbo on someone for their first scummy post since Day 1 is a waste

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

Ironic, then, that Alasdair suggested a turbo on someone for their first scummy post since Day 1 is a waste

Isn't half the point of suggesting a turbo the reaction to that suggestion? I know I've done the like before to shut up jokephase, and it wasn't that uncommon

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Atoramos posted:

Isn't half the point of suggesting a turbo the reaction to that suggestion? I know I've done the like before to shut up jokephase, and it wasn't that uncommon

Are you a mindreader, white knight, or scumbuddy?

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

counterpoint: turboes are hilarious. especially a turbo based on a single clumsy post by a newbie

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

Are you a mindreader, white knight, or scumbuddy?

I literally posted years ago on my wiki that town do dumb poo poo to get reactions and hasn't been edited since 2011 so unless you think I really am a mindreader, no I'm not going to call someone scummy for suggesting a turbo

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Lynch All Turbo'ers

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

I hopped off since others said there were other people worthy of looking at. Maybe it's blinders but I can't see them and I still got a scum vibe on you.

##vote: Alasdair Crawfish

oh boy another textbook OMGUS

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Atoramos posted:

I literally posted years ago on my wiki that town do dumb poo poo to get reactions and hasn't been edited since 2011 so unless you think I really am a mindreader, no I'm not going to call someone scummy for suggesting a turbo

It's more that you're answering on behalf of Alasdair as to motivations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

P.S. lmao at quoting your own wiki page from 2011

• Locked thread