Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

PhilippAchtel posted:

That's his response to that line of reasoning? Truly the intellect needed to rise to supreme court justice is dizzying.

Scalia's actually really smart when it comes to twisting somewhat existing legal framework to further his right wing agenda... which just makes him more of a piece of poo poo and using his own words against him that much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

karlor posted:

Where did Scalia get pyramids from? I read the full text and still don't understand what he's talking about.

Texas > Illegal Aliens > Aliens > Pyramids > Tradition > 5-4 decision

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, guess which violent, unhinged, murderous psychopath has decided Obama is to blame for everything and decided it would be a good idea to rant about this to a newspaper. Go on, guess

You know George if I had to make a list of people whose lives didn't matter, yours would probably be on it.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Tobermory posted:

In context, it's also that everyone's arguing about Pleasant Grove City v. Summum. Summum is a weird UFO religion that wanted to put a privately-funded pyramid in a city park in Pleasant Grove. The city said no. Summum sued, on the grounds that the park already contained the Ten Commandments, so that favoring some religious monuments and blocking others counted as the government discriminating between religions. SCOTUS unanimously ruled against Summum basically on the grounds that permanent monuments are different from transient public speech.

The pyramid discussion is still stupid, but it's at least sort of topical.

Thanks. I saw that case mentioned in the text but misread the summary so I thought it was only about the ten commandments.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Nintendo Kid posted:

One of the people arguing said Confederate stuff was tradition, scalia says "well pyramids were a tradition too".

Scalia plays a lot of Civ V and we all know the Egyptians always go Tradition for the bonus toward pyramid construction.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I hope the SCOTUS gives 'em the plates. I'm always for assholes being given the ability to properly convey they are assholes in a more open manner.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, guess which violent, unhinged, murderous psychopath has decided Obama is to blame for everything and decided it would be a good idea to rant about this to a newspaper. Go on, guess
Uh, Dick Cheney?

Did I win?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Prester John posted:

Having read Twain extensively i can say that he was certainly not a WASP in attitude. To the Person sitting in Darkness is basically an incredibly damning indictment of the imperial politics of the day, and The War Prayer reads like it was written about Iraq. To say nothing of the fact that Twain was about as open about his Atheism as he could get away with.

Also, he really really loving loathed Christians of all flavors.

Twain is the best American author for all of these reasons and more. Letters From Earth is one of the most entertaining take downs of Christianity I've ever read.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

Uh, Dick Cheney?

Did I win?

Dick Cheney is more "Deliberately Evil" than "Unhinged", I would say.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Well, that's interesting. The 2016 patsy For-Real-Super-Serious Democratic contender against Rubio for Senate is the guy who kicked out Allen West in the House by an eyelash's fingernail: Rep. Patrick Murphy.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

saintonan posted:

Because regardless of politics, disaster preparedness is a thing, and in many cases significantly mitigates non-Katrina-scale disasters. Disaster preparedness funding is far, far more efficient than disaster relief funding.

The point is these states are refusing to prepare for disasters; so giving them money to do something they are not doing seems somewhat pointless doesn't it?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Geoff Peterson posted:

That's actually not entirely fair-

Of the 9 states (guess them without Google everybody!) that recognize Confederate Heroes Day/Memorial Day/Decoration Day it's only Texas that ever overlaps with MLK Day. And Texas is on January 19th every year, so it's not an annual overlap.

It was also in place prior to Reagan signing MLK Day into existence. So if you need another case of unforgivable heresy for the Gipper, there you go.

eta: Obviously the two dates shouldn't coincide and Texas should move theirs (and should have the moment MLK Day was signed in). Just adding knowledge, because TMYK.

Are you counting the half dozen odd states that celebrate r.e.lee's birthday the same day?

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Ron Jeremy posted:

Are you counting the half dozen odd states that celebrate r.e.lee's birthday the same day?

I am not.

TX, TN, SC, NC, MS, LA, KY, GA, FL

I would note that most of the states I was surprised were not on that list are among the states who celebrate Lee's birthday though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Geoff Peterson posted:

I am not.

TX, TN, SC, NC, MS, LA, KY, GA, FL

I would note that most of the states I was surprised were not on that list are among the states who celebrate Lee's birthday though.

I spy with my little eye one state which didn't secede

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Uh, Dick Cheney?

Did I win?

I don't think Dick Cheney is the kind of man to compare himself to Anne Frank

Kennedy's comments to a congressional panel have people trying to read the tea leaves on the ACA ruling. Make of it what you will

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't think Dick Cheney is the kind of man to compare himself to Anne Frank

Kennedy's comments to a congressional panel have people trying to read the tea leaves on the ACA ruling. Make of it what you will

I didn't want that health insurance anyway.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Fried Chicken posted:

I was gonna guess Ted Nugent. Keep trying to gently caress that right-wing popularity chicken Zimmerman.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 24, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I guess his money for his patriot photoshops paintings ran out.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

New plates in Texas:

Bng4God

THC4God

SkDck4J

PndAz4J

W33DLRD

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilweasel posted:

The funds at issue are disaster preparedness funds, not the disaster relief funds (which, to be fair, I also garbled).

What's the likelihood of this becoming the next "coercion via federal funds" test case so Roberts can greenlight states outlawing the term "projected rise in sea level" while being funded by the feds in order to account for the effects of a projected rise in sea level?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 24, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I spy with my little eye one state which didn't secede

It wasn't for a lack of trying on the confederacy's part though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Firing squads are now a legal method of execution in Utah if the state is unable to obtain the drugs used for lethal injections.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6c1b55094e2744dc912abbdebd762f90/governor-signs-law-making-utah-only-state-firing-squad

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Firing squads are now a legal method of execution in Utah if the state is unable to obtain the drugs used for lethal injections.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6c1b55094e2744dc912abbdebd762f90/governor-signs-law-making-utah-only-state-firing-squad

Not much of a surprise, considering the last time they executed a guy by firing squad was 2010.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

FlamingLiberal posted:

how could you not post the picture.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ralepozozaxe posted:

how could you not post the picture.

In no way does that look like a cruel and/or unusual apparatus for administering a cruel and/or unusual punishment.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
If the process for the execution doesn't involve blind fold, a cigarette and a brick wall, what's the point?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

What are you buzzfeed now? Keep SA clean of clickbait posts!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

In no way does that look like a cruel and/or unusual apparatus for administering a cruel and/or unusual punishment.

People in Utah have actively requested to die by it rather than by lethal injection.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

What are you buzzfeed now? Keep SA clean of clickbait posts!

You'll never guess who got in trouble with the law after straight up murdering a teenager and getting away with it legally!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Phone posted:

You'll never guess who got in trouble with the law after straight up murdering a teenager and getting away with it legally!

Well that could be anyone.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I see goatse. So, yeah.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

Kennedy? Is it a Kennedy? Maybe a Joe? How about a Bill, or a Ted?

Like really, everyone gets one dead girl in politics.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Have a Randly Balko article that will leave you pissed off: How elections affect police shootings

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Have a Randly Balko article that will leave you pissed off: How elections affect police shootings

I am reading an article which seems to not understand Albuquerque politics very well, given how incredibly segregated the rich are from the poor there. There's a saying I read in a New Mexico Op/Ed page once: "Thank God for Louisiana; if it weren't for them, WE'D have the most corrupt state in the Union."

So yeah, Albuquerque is a pretty bad town.

EDIT: Left unstated in the article is the main reason Chávez is no longer mayor: In 2009 he overturned the mayoral term limits HE signed into law, and was summarily voted out for his efforts. He then ran to replace now-Senator Martin Heinrich in the House and lost in the primary to Heinrich's replacement, Michelle Lujan Grisham. It wasn't all bad though, Chávez is now a senior advisor for Ready for Hillary.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 24, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So does Obama's Chief of Staff saying "Israel cannot maintain military control of another people indefinitely" a big deal? Because that just happened.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So does Obama's Chief of Staff saying "Israel cannot maintain military control of another people indefinitely" a big deal? Because that just happened.

Perhaps it's a sign that the Democrats are convinced that they are going to lose the presidency in 2016 and have just decided to treat the remaining months like a long Festivus celebration...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Tobermory posted:

There's a lot of weird stuff in there:

BNG HT4J

7 characters it counts!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

People in Utah have actively requested to die by it rather than by lethal injection.

I'd rather be shot than deal with the potential of a botched lethal injection. Plus, guns are cool.

There's tons of ways to humanely and quickly kill someone that are superior to lethal injection. The problem is that virtually all of them are messy and we tend to want to sanitize the murder of our fellow human beings as much as possible to make it easier to stomach. Which is why we choose to use a relatively complex chemical cocktail that could leave the victim in agony if administered improperly but looks like the person just going to sleep rather than going for something instantaneous like mechanical decapitation that forces people to deal with the reality of murder by creating disgusting remains that need to be disposed of.

Maybe if we were forced to actually acknowledge what we were doing, we'd do it a little less.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A gas chamber that uses argon or a similar noble gas with active removal of carbon dioxide kills people within minutes and knocks them out within seconds, without causing the feeling and panic of suffocation by more normal means. Doubly so if you simply sedate the person first before placing them in. It also avoids all sorts of messy stuff, and does not require a medical doctor to safely administer it (outside of the optional sedation before placement in the chamber).

You might ask: why don't we do that then? Well all the states that cared enough about killing painlessly to do so got a step ahead and just banned execution. And all the states that didn't care didn't see a reason not to keep up lethal injection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

BNRHTLR

• Locked thread