Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
aaaagh so many posts

TheManSeries posted:

Man I know it's be a pain but I'd love to see an animated Ex-S

Check out Extreme VS videos.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Speaking of plastic robots though, how good are the Robot Damashis? I remember seeing a Penelope and if they're good and the price is reasonable, I can't really avoid the urge for another one.

The Penelope was a web-exclusive, and a Katoki Signature one at that. It is never going to have a reasonable price.

chumbler posted:

It is a shame that they refuse to put out the only good mobile suits Katoki ever designed.

You best not be dissing Tallgeese. :colbert:

dogsicle posted:

Some shopping questions. For something like that Stark Jegan exclusive, how do I use Yokatta (assuming that's the easiest way)?

There is a guide on the site.

quote:

And in regards to hlj, is it really worth it to try buying backordered kits or should I generally look elsewhere? If so, where?

If it was a recent thing, sure. If it was old, unless they give you a month don't even bother.

closeted republican posted:

I want a SD or HGUC Nightingale so I can have a full collection of Char/Full Frontal's suits in the same scale without spending a ridiculous amount of money I don't feel like spending on MG and RE/100 kits. Yeah it's just an obese Sazabi but I don't care. :colbert:

Model Comprehend did a SD Nightingale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

They're gonna announce the HGUC Capuile or HGCC Kapool any day now. And then I'll buy three.
Any day now. :(

MASTER GRADE OR BUST

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

You best not be dissing Tallgeese. :colbert:

I am insulted that anyone would doubt my love and respect for Tallgeese. Katoki's Wing designs are the only good designs he ever made. Now if only Bandai would make all the drat grunts that they're saving for when Frozen Teardrop is animated!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

MASTER GRADE OR BUST

I've never built an MG. Are they really that much nicer?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also I want an HG so I can kitbash it with the hygogg adn the zgok-e and make an amphibious abomination.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yes.

Well unless you're comparing a really old MG to a new HG, but that's just silly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Definitely. But you could just grab one of the dirt cheap wing kits and try one for yourself.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They're really not that much harder to build than HG's, it just takes a bit more time because parts that would be two clamshells suddenly become like 6 or 7 different pieces, but in exchange you get way more flexibility and interesting engineering. Way better.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Back in 2003 we build MGs with partial inner-frames and we liked it. :argh:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

They're really not that much harder to build than HG's, it just takes a bit more time because parts that would be two clamshells suddenly become like 6 or 7 different pieces, but in exchange you get way more flexibility and interesting engineering. Way better.

If they ever release a hygogg or a zgok-e or a kapool/capule I'll pick one up I guess.
Or the G-Arcane or something.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There is the ridiculously cool looking MG Acguy, if that scratches your amphibious itch. It's the first one I'm going to buy.

Also HGs with partial frame are very cool.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dogsicle posted:

There is the ridiculously cool looking MG Acguy, if that scratches your amphibious itch. It's the first one I'm going to buy.

Also HGs with partial frame are very cool.

I've never been a big Acguy fan for whatever reason. It looks like a real cool kit though so maybe I'll pick one up at some point.
How's the Ball, as far as MGs go?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Ball is absolutely amazing. If you can find it, at least; it doesn't get reissued often.

If you're looking for a MG to start with, you should pick MG Gundam X. Because I said so.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Ball is absolutely amazing. If you can find it, at least; it doesn't get reissued often.

If you're looking for a MG to start with, you should pick MG Gundam X. Because I said so.

I've not yet seen Gundam X, but if I was gonna get one from that I'd probably get the Double X.
So the Ball is good, what about the EZ-8 or Mark II? Is the Turn X as fantastic as it looks?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

EX-8 is okay for its age, but nothing spectacular. Gundam mkII 2.0 is great, and if you get the Build mkII you basically get a two-in-one (sans the little hangar thing). MG Turn X is cool, but suffers from some inherent design flaws; asymmetrical designs do not lead to a particularly nice weight balance.

Also DX is cool too I guess. :shrug:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought the MG Turn-X was a bit better than that. I still plan on getting an MG Turn A and Turn X one day though, even though it means I'll be trapped in panel-line hell when I do the MG Turn A.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I just want to say that I've never been a fan of the DX, but they really knocked it out of the park with the MG. The sculpt is terrific and it looks like an incredibly well-thought-out and interesting build. I have no reason whatsoever to get one but I'm very tempted.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG DX is up there with MG Impulse as far as amazing redesigns go in my opinion.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Someone posted a ball for sale in samart, they mentioned it in this thread last week.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Ball is one of those very rare MGs where the inner detail is actually worth looking at. I prefer this version, myself.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
ahahah, the RD Penelope is gonna cost $250-$300, gently caress the world.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

ahahah, the RD Penelope is gonna cost $250-$300, gently caress the world.

Everyone would be better off buying the one Model Comprehend will make...or use that 300 dollars to buy SOC GaoGaiGar.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
What sort of experiences have people had with Hobby Search? They seem to have a lot more in stock than HLJ does, uses Yen instead of USD (so I can exploit the weak Yen), and their shipping doesn't seem too bad. I'm in the USA, if that means anything.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What sort of experiences have people had with Hobby Search? They seem to have a lot more in stock than HLJ does, uses Yen instead of USD (so I can exploit the weak Yen), and their shipping doesn't seem too bad. I'm in the USA, if that means anything.

I'm UK and outside of getting good deals on a eBay these guys have pretty consistently been good in my experience.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

They've never failed me and I live beyond the Kuyper belt. Always glad to buy a big box of stuff from them.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, seconding that. HobbySearch is great and they have a massive range compared to HLJ. They also have a point system that you earn from buying poo poo that you can use to put towards future purchases (3% of your total purchase price minus shipping). Also their shipping, while not as cheap as HLJ, is blazing fast.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How good are they at accidentally declaring the wrong amount on the package so I don't get hit with absurd customs handling fees? :v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How good are they at accidentally declaring the wrong amount on the package so I don't get hit with absurd customs handling fees? :v:

I too am interested in this.

Miscalculated my last HLJ private warehouse shipment like a dumbass.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Out of curiosity, how big is the difference in quality between the HGUC and RG Z'gok? Because the mass production colors are way better than the red. Plus the HGUC is half the price.

StalkofWheat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 24, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Everyone would be better off buying the one Model Comprehend will make...or use that 300 dollars to buy SOC GaoGaiGar.

This is honestly the best bet. I'm already locked in to getting the 1/100 Mechanicore kit, but I'm totally willing to get another just because the Mechanicore one, while huge, recycles a bit too much from their Xi design and I'd like one that's more like the standard suit just for the sake of it.

I remember you posting a good site for purchasing Daban and MC kits in the past, do you still have that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StalkofWheat posted:

Out of curiosity, how big is the difference in quality between the HGUC and RG Z'gok? Because the mass production colors are way better than the red. Plus the HGUC is half the price.

The HGUC Z'Gok is pretty goddamn old, if I remember right. The RG Z'Gok is apparently pretty good.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StalkofWheat posted:

The HGUC is pretty old and the RG is about a year old. The difference in quality is pretty significant.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is honestly the best bet. I'm already locked in to getting the 1/100 Mechanicore kit, but I'm totally willing to get another just because the Mechanicore one, while huge, recycles a bit too much from their Xi design and I'd like one that's more like the standard suit just for the sake of it.

I remember you posting a good site for purchasing Daban and MC kits in the past, do you still have that?

I use http://gundamcentral.weebly.com/ for MC and Daban kits; haven't had a problem with shipping costs and was refunded the difference when the price of the MC Xi dropped between my preorder and release.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

DigitalRaven posted:

I use http://gundamcentral.weebly.com/ for MC and Daban kits; haven't had a problem with shipping costs and was refunded the difference when the price of the MC Xi dropped between my preorder and release.

Oh hey, I normally don't go for the overtly even-more-of-a-samurai-than-they're-already-deliberately-designed-to-be gundams, but this is pretty nice.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
edit: Woops, dp.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 24, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh hey, I normally don't go for the overtly even-more-of-a-samurai-than-they're-already-deliberately-designed-to-be gundams, but this is pretty nice.

There's actually an official, Bandai produced, 1/60th scale Astray

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN958463/Gun

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Someone posted a ball for sale in samart, they mentioned it in this thread last week.

That's me, and it's still available!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

StalkofWheat posted:

HG Z'gok is honestly pretty good (especially for its age), but the RG absolutely leaves it in the dust as far as articulation goes.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I wouldn't really go for bootlegged kits unless you have literally no other sane option. PG Astray is on Amazon for like, $179 at the moment so just saying.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I got my RG Wing Zero.

Sweet jesus it's almost PAINFULLY pretty to look at. The articulation is perfect too, the joints are JUST stiff enough, without feeling like I'm going to break it by moving it.

Plus, of course, the wings are stunning.

Next on the RG hitlist is either Zephyranthes or Full Burneren.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

I wouldn't really go for bootlegged kits unless you have literally no other sane option. PG Astray is on Amazon for like, $179 at the moment so just saying.

Wait, so the whole site is bootlegged kits? As in, knock-off?

I'm confused. Doesn't that qualify as :files: to post a link to it?