Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Quandary posted:

3P does mean anti-town almost always. Even Numerik who has an additional win condition said he was town aligned. P-Mom literally said that he does not win with the town, which means he likely does not have incentive to look for scum, and possibly has incentive to actively avoid looking for scum

you are doing, partially, what i am voting somber for. this is a bad post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

i win when scum all eliminated and my alignment isn't called town

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
ecco probably just has a bunch of town aligned teams that all just have different names

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

And that's "literally sa[ying] that he does not win with the town"?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Pinterest Mom posted:

huh
i win when scum all eliminatedand my alignment isn't called town

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

can we think for a second about why a person might be casual about that kind of information

if someone's interests really ran counter to the town, i personally doubt that they would be blurting that info out to everyone

quandry, you are removing pinterest's post from the context in which it was made.

i am getting tired of these kinds of arguments.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

And that's "literally sa[ying] that he does not win with the town"?

Sorry, you're right in that I got a little bit overboard with my word choice. You did however say definitively that you are not town aligned

QuoProQuid posted:

can we think for a second about why a person might be casual about that kind of information

if someone's interests really ran counter to the town, i personally doubt that they would be blurting that info out to everyone

quandry, you are removing pinterest's post from the context in which it was made.

i am getting tired of these kinds of arguments.

That's the thing though, is that he didn't just volunteer the information in that post. This is the post where he said he wasn't town first, in an attempt to shed light on Numeriks claim:

Pinterest Mom posted:

that's not the town alignment name
revolutionaries don't have elite bodyguards, kings do
bodyguards don't seek out and kill people

This is not a situation where he willingly outed himself, but rather in an attempt to talk about Numerik's claim accidentally gave the fact that he doesn't know what the town alignment name is. This was an accident, not volunteering information

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I shouldn't have posted without actually thinking through what I was saying and who I was responding to. Quandary's statement about PMom being anti-town gave me a gut reaction to yell at someone. Except I saw the name jedit in his post and yelled at him instead. This is what happens when you're phone posting instead of paying attention to irl

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Make sure to ##unvote before voting someone else, this is how Ecco rolls.

Okay, I'll white-knight PMom: If someone read their role PM and couldn't tell that they weren't actually town-aligned and thought that their flavour-alignment meant town - they are probably pro-town.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Amoeba102 posted:

Okay, I'll white-knight PMom: If someone read their role PM and couldn't tell that they weren't actually town-aligned and thought that their flavour-alignment meant town - they are probably pro-town.

My problem with this is what I posted earlier: PMom KNEW that they had an alignment issue, and I called it very early in the game. It wasn't an "accidental" flavor/alignment confusion

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Amoeba102 posted:

Oops. Sorry Ecco.

##unvote
##vote somber

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I hate to repeat myself, but come on. PinterestMom's post came out in context of her realizing that Numerik's alignment did not match her own. When it was pointed out that everyone else had a pro-town alignment, she became withdrew and became confused. That doesn't read as scum behavior. It is, at best, a third party that thought they were town .

These types of arguments that we keep repeating are asinine and provide easy ways for scum to contribute under the guise of "policy lynches." I'd rather we discuss actual scumhunting and gut reads instead of wasting our time. If you find PinterestMom suspicious, fine. Just provide reasoning to support that instead of repeating the same old points.

a worthy uhh posted:

My problem with this is what I posted earlier: PMom KNEW that they had an alignment issue, and I called it very early in the game. It wasn't an "accidental" flavor/alignment confusion

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you are saying. PMom's realization seems very much accidental. Her reaction to numerrik only makes sense if she thinks numerrik made a slip in posting his alignment.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

I don't think PMom knew that their alignment wasn't the town one. Seeing the anti-3P sentiment in the thread multiple times, why would you slip like that if you knew you weren't town?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Amoeba explains succinctly what I've been trying to express. The interaction makes it clear to me that PMom THOUGHT all town players had her alignment.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I called PMom as 3P very early in the thread when he was passively defending Ernie as "3p but not ANTI-TOWN 3p", and said PMom was going to claim 3p but not anti-town 3p at some point.

I was not wrong.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hello I am here. Mymountain and Applebell have requested to be replaced, and I am seeking their replacements atm.

I will post a votecount... ... soon. Day 1 is always bad. Remember to unvote, everyone.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Or it's a hilarious coincidence, since why would PMom fake slip? Do the follow through.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Amoeba102 posted:

Or it's a hilarious coincidence, since why would PMom fake slip? Do the follow through.

because it's not an accident or a slip, PMom is claiming 3p but not anti-town 3p, and now that heat is on, "not 3p but not not 3p" or whatever

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why did PMom claim in the fashion they did? Why do it at all?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

why has anyone in this game claimed their non-town alignment?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Only Numerrik outright claimed and that was something I'll attribute to a newer player poorly reading the thread.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Glockenapfel has been replaced by Asiina.

Still looking for a replacement for Meinberg.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Hi Asiina welcome to the shitshow thread

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh hi, 19 pages.

Okay I'll get around to this at some point. I haven't been reading at all.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Oh hi, 19 pages.

Okay I'll get around to this at some point. I haven't been reading at all.

It actually starts page 5 if that helps.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
What the flip is this noise.

Glockenspiel you son of a bitch.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: Day 1 Votecount :c:

Somberbrero (3): Ninth, numer, Anon, -Anon, Anon

merk (2): Ninth, Somber, QPQ, -Ninth
CPig (2): Ernie, 100Yrs, -100Yrs, winvirus
Anon (2): Opop, imgay
numeriik (2): merk, Keane, PMom, -Keane, -Pmom, jedit

Ernie (1): mir, Anon, QPQ, winvirus, CPig, -QPQ, -CPig, -Anon, -winvirus
PMom (1): QPQ, -QPQ, Quand
jedit (1): Cpig, Quand, -Quand
imgay (1): Pmom

:h: 21 alive, 11 votes to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Tuesday, March 24th, ~11PM EST. That is in about 23 hours from this post.

:siren: REMEMBER TO UNVOTE BEFORE REVOTING :siren:

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 24, 2015

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

numerrik posted:

I am Town aligned now go rage quit Merc. I'm just having fun and spending my off hours high. You're los your poo poo over a flavorful mafia game on a comedy forum.

catching up now haha i hope everyone has piled the gently caress on numerrik for this one

merk posted:

No, you are not.

##vote numerrik

Goodbye, thread.

haha knew it! fwiw, i agree with merk's conclusion. maybe having numerrik around isn't as valuable as not having him around.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Everyone pay attention to Somber's attempts to characterize Numerik as "A KILLING ROLE" with a win condition that "CAN LET HIM WIN WITH THE SCUM!" and how he escalates the degree to which Numerik must be lying about everything. It's scare-tactics casing.

Scum love to case players for being third-party because they get to say "this guy isn't town!!" loudly and with confidence. This is what Somber is doing and it's taken to the absolute extreme.

no, it's town paranoia. scum would realize that a bodyguard would never target themselves and would plan on killing numerrik eventually. only a townie would escalate their lack-of-control over what they don't know as somber has.

a worthy uhh posted:

This is a horrifically scummy hyperbolic oversimplification

a worthy uhh posted:

This is another hyperbolic oversimplification that is intentionally ignoring information that doesn't fit the idea he wants to push

##vote somber

lol i feel like MiR just read posts on a surface level without actually reading their context or what they mean

for example my post was poking a player about how they simplified their thoughts

and somber's was about highlighting that numerrik had first soft-claimed 3p before claiming town

all around terrible posts

##unvote
##vote a worthy uhh

QuoProQuid posted:

I <3 how Numerrik gets increasingly sinister as Somberbero's post history continues. It starts off as a policy lynch and slowly becomes a huge existential threat that must be eliminated. It's an absolutely hilarious escalation over the course of three pages.

qpq gets it, it's like group-think but it's a solo act and it happens all the time when you think you have to stand your ground in mafia

nowhere in somber's posts do i feel like he's trying to convince ninth of anything, ergo, i don't think he knows ninth's alignment

Amoeba102 posted:

Why is merk town?

He seems to me like he's being obstinate on points, twisted poor play as something scummy, and excused himself with a policy vote.

merk is obstinate but his motivation for posting is clear, it's not to lead town or direct the game his way but to prod players

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

merk is playing like an rear end in a top hat but I know he's town. I may know something about him. Just trust me, guys.

imgay posted:

##vote AnonymousNarcotics

just ... noise

Quandary posted:

P-Mom literally said that he does not win with the town, which means he likely does not have incentive to look for scum, and possibly has incentive to actively avoid looking for scum

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well now you're just lying.

wow no kidding, bet you anything that that was a scum-slip. quandary doesn't know what you actually said because he got a cliff-notes version from the scumdoc.

The Ninth Layer posted:

First of all, he said from the start his win condition was pro-town

i agree with everything you've said/done, ninth, but claiming a win condition that is pro-town deals with his secondary win condition (i.e. kill someone to leave the game), which is not the town win condition. by definition, as it's currently claimed, numerrik's is not the town win condition.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I reckon merk has been trying to make things bigger than they are so he has something to post about.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Ninth Layer posted:

First of all, he said from the start his win condition was pro-town, which his claimed win condition is. Secondly, his play doesn't make "logical sense" to begin with so it's not like we can say he was pulling some gambit or anything. Claiming was a newbie mistake on his part but I don't understand why it's a mistake a townie with his role could not make. Finally, I'm not at all saying he was playing some subtle semantic game. Several times I've said the opposite: that numerik is a player who has trouble articulating his thoughts clearly, a trait that is fairly common among people new to Mafia.

I'm "white-knighting" him because I think lynching a new player for playing like a new player is stupid and unfair.

I'm not lynching him for playing like a new player. I'm lynching him for playing like a new player who is not Town. Because if he's not Town, then he's a risk.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quandary posted:

Numerik's added win-con actually seems pretty reasonable and, if as described, is not anti-town in any way. He literally only wins if town wins or if he dies killing mafia. Both of those are pro-town

TBH I don't feel like any of the people getting really worked up on either side of the numerik poo poo are too scummy.

I feel worse about Somber/merk and more about the former than the latter. Something about the urgency in Somber's posts makes it feel all too desperate.

QuoProQuid posted:

These types of arguments that we keep repeating are asinine and provide easy ways for scum to contribute under the guise of "policy lynches." I'd rather we discuss actual scumhunting and gut reads instead of wasting our time. If you find PinterestMom suspicious, fine. Just provide reasoning to support that instead of repeating the same old points.

Also agree. The stranger thing about this policy lynch crap is that we've got a number of players who may or may not be 3P and people aren't even sticking to what they said by voting them off. That lack of consistency is weird.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Several times I've said the opposite: that numerik is a player who has trouble articulating his thoughts clearly, a trait that is fairly common among people new to Mafia.

I'm "white-knighting" him because I think lynching a new player for playing like a new player is stupid and unfair.

This. We get hung up way too often about how things are said when all it boils down to is that people just speak in certain ways. There's nothing more to it than that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

nowhere in somber's posts do i feel like he's trying to convince ninth of anything, ergo, i don't think he knows ninth's alignment

Isn't it funny how people can read the same things and come to different conclusions? ##vote somberbrero. I had the same impression (that he's not trying to persuade anyone of anything), but I took it to mean that he was arguing something he knew to be false.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey Quandary when you explained to me why it's good to policy lynch 3P did you mean that you do that yourself as a general rule, because I have found it strange that you haven't voted any of the supposed 3P.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey Quandary when you explained to me why it's good to policy lynch 3P did you mean that you do that yourself as a general rule, because I have found it strange that you haven't voted any of the supposed 3P.

He's currently voting for Pin Mom, isn't he? I know he was, and he did so on the basis that she said she wasn't Town but won by killing all scum.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Jedit posted:

He's currently voting for Pin Mom, isn't he? I know he was, and he did so on the basis that she said she wasn't Town but won by killing all scum.

He has currently only voted for you.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hey, votefinder is wrong. My bad. Yeah, he's voting PMom.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

Hey, votefinder is wrong. My bad. Yeah, he's voting PMom.

Ah that explains that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm having trouble differentiating reconciling this hot turd Quandary posted with the rest of his post history

Quandary posted:

ecco probably just has a bunch of town aligned teams that all just have different names

e: i meant reconciling~

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 24, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: Day 1 Votecount :c:

Somberbrero (4): Ninth, numer, Anon, -Anon, Anon, 100Yrs

merk (2): Ninth, Somber, QPQ, -Ninth
CPig (1): Ernie, 100Yrs, -100Yrs, winvirus, -Ernie
Anon (2): Opop, imgay
numeriik (2): merk, Keane, PMom, -Keane, -Pmom, jedit

Ernie (1): AWU/MIR, Anon, QPQ, winvirus, CPig, -QPQ, -CPig, -Anon, -winvirus
PMom (1): QPQ, -QPQ, Quand
jedit (1): Cpig, Quand, -Quand
imgay (1): Pmom
a worthy uhh/Me in Reverse (1): Ernie

:h: 21 alive, 11 votes to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Tuesday, March 24th, ~11PM EST. That is in about 15 1/2 hours from this post.

:siren: REMEMBER TO UNVOTE BEFORE REVOTING :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am going to be Out and About today until the early afternoon, so if you have any questions for me it'll have to wait. If you manage to execute someone, and if you're confident someone actually got hammered (your judgment is probably as good as mine), since there are no flips until Lights Out ends, you are welcome to keep posting and voting without waiting for me to be around. BUT, I demand at least one player post a "final" votecount of the hammered player before you all vote for someone else (remembering that the votecount in votefinder is currently not correct thanks to people's poor direction-following).

Ok and break!

• Locked thread