Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

So does Banshee have some sort of policy against casting Indian actors as Indians? Meaghan Rath just showed up and I'm like, cmon guys casting an Asian Indian as an American Indian is seriously weird.

Wait, I'm confused, are you talking about Indian Indian or American Indian? Also, Meaghan Rath is related to me. And considering that the native americans reached America from the China-Alaska bridge, and how similar their religion is to Hinduism, it's only natural that she would be cast as a native american, because they are also related to us.

Rocksicles posted:

A Stereotype occurs in the real world, a trope in the literary world.
You can write about stereotypes in a literary context, you can't talk about tropes in a real world context.... because then it's a stereotype. Tropes are often confused with Cliches.

I don't understand, when has the scheming jew ever been used in a real world context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane posted:

Wait, I'm confused, are you talking about Indian Indian or American Indian? Also, Meaghan Rath is related to me. And considering that the native americans reached America from the China-Alaska bridge, and how similar their religion is to Hinduism, it's only natural that she would be cast as a native american, because they are also related to us.

gently caress off Ravane.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

I don't understand, when has the scheming jew ever been used in a real world context?

Yeah gently caress off Ravane, you're not Rick Ross, no Jew jokes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane do you remember that last chance I gave you after you begged to be able to post in here? Well I'm getting really close to forgetting it. You're just not funny at all. Stick to regular posting and quit trying to be a funny troll or go away. If you were the least bit funny it would be one thing, but you're not and it's just sad.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Ravane do you remember that last chance I gave you after you begged to be able to post in here? Well I'm getting really close to forgetting it. You're just not funny at all. Stick to regular posting and quit trying to be a funny troll or go away. If you were the least bit funny it would be one thing, but you're not and it's just sad.

Deadpool, I'm sorry. I think I'm going crazy. Look, for the last two years, all I've been doing is like going around drinking and breaking stuff and talking to sports balls like they were people. But now that actual people are here, you know, I'm still trying to figure out how to talk to 'em. So... you're right. I'm not funny. But whether you believe it or not, I'm really, really sorry. Okay, good night.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boooo! you suck McRavane!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

pentyne posted:

So, The Royals is a pile of hot, steaming garbage, but I am eagerly awaiting its airing in the UK for the savage response it'll get from the British media.

Royals is great trashy fun and its really no worse than Empire. I'd read the poo poo out of a thread for the show.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So the season premiere of 19-2 stirred up a nice number of posts. Did anyone else watch through the season, and catch the finale last night? For being only one season behind its French-Canadian original, I was pretty surprised that they didn't change who the mole was. I hated that it was still Houle :( I guess they figured the divide between French-Canadian media and the rest of the country/continent was still large enough to risk it. That, and JM beating his wife again was so disappointing. You were still an rear end in a top hat, JM, but at least you were an rear end in a top hat trying to change.

It wasn't nearly as intense or even enjoyable as the premiere, in fact it felt a little disjointed, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they were trying for disjointed on purpose, to reflect the state of the team. Still, after such a great season, the finale was kind of a bummer.

Considering basically half the cast and crew were nominated for some Canadian Screen Award or another, I have pretty high hopes for another renewal.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Maxwell Lord posted:

See, I have the opposite view- one of the reasons I think it has such a rabid cult is it established what it was pretty quickly. The cast dynamic, the look and feel, the sense of place are there from early on- it never felt to me like the awkward fumbling period most shows have to start, even with a few episodes that aren't as good as the rest.

What I should've added, and what the other fella pointed out, is that the characters and world is there (Though I'd argue that the show still can't quite decide who Mal is) and that's what people tend to respond to the most. The actual episodes themselves though? They're not all that good, but they start to find their footing by the end. It really seemed like the kind of show that would have a killer run of episodes at the end of Season 1 and a great Season 2 but honestly if you come to that show cold now it's like, this is what people went nuts over?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

KatWithHands posted:

So the season premiere of 19-2 stirred up a nice number of posts. Did anyone else watch through the season, and catch the finale last night? For being only one season behind its French-Canadian original, I was pretty surprised that they didn't change who the mole was. I hated that it was still Houle :( I guess they figured the divide between French-Canadian media and the rest of the country/continent was still large enough to risk it. That, and JM beating his wife again was so disappointing. You were still an rear end in a top hat, JM, but at least you were an rear end in a top hat trying to change.

It wasn't nearly as intense or even enjoyable as the premiere, in fact it felt a little disjointed, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they were trying for disjointed on purpose, to reflect the state of the team. Still, after such a great season, the finale was kind of a bummer.

Considering basically half the cast and crew were nominated for some Canadian Screen Award or another, I have pretty high hopes for another renewal.

Was he the mole for different reasons? It always kinda made me laugh that in the og version The A HA! Familiprix guy ends up being some weird pedophile.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Hey, the X-files are back!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yay? Who wanted this?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Was he the mole for different reasons? It always kinda made me laugh that in the og version The A HA! Familiprix guy ends up being some weird pedophile.

Same reason, which sucks, because I really like the actor and was so happy to see him in a regular role. I think they did a really good job of not pointing fingers at who the mole was (plenty of red herrings, though), to the point where I was just sitting there daring to dream that they'd go in another direction.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yay? Who wanted this?

A lot of people did apparently.

I liked the show well enough but man there was just too much of it. I couldn't take anymore after three or so seasons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

So does Banshee have some sort of policy against casting Indian actors as Indians? Meaghan Rath just showed up and I'm like, cmon guys casting an Asian Indian as an American Indian is seriously weird.

I almost wanna say that's a deliberate joke. They probably didn't want to cast actual Native American actors because the Kinaho are a pastiche of Native American tropes, not supposed to be representative of actual Native Americans; they're there because Hood's cowboy needs indians in addition to outlaws. Casting literally every brown ethnicity but actual Native Americans just brings it to the forefront.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I also stan pretty hard for Banshee and really want to believe it's not racist tho

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope the X-Files episodes are 6 standalone, fun episodes that are like the early seasons. That'd be great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hope the X-Files episodes are 6 standalone, fun episodes that are like the early seasons. That'd be great.

Make Darin Morgan write them all and let Carter write none.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

Make Darin Morgan write them all and let Carter write none.

Basically this. I don't trust Carter not to gently caress this up.

Man, with X-Files and Twin Peaks returning, are we hitting peak 90s nostalgia yet?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I also stan pretty hard for Banshee and really want to believe it's not racist tho

I ask this seriously, who would it be racist against? Neither minority is well represented on TV, might as well take an ethnically ambiguous (see Karen David) person and place him or her in that position if the actual ethnicity isn't present or qualified. Meaghan Rath was brilliant in Being Human, and though I don't watch Banshee, I'm pretty sure she'll be successful there as well.

And I know The Red Road was mentioned earlier, which did a similar thing by placing non-native americans in native american roles. Ask yourself, in the realm of entertainment, do you really want to affirmative action the entire thing and watch mediocre actors simply because they fit racially? The Red Road was good (I was Op of the thread, I should know but I don't because I didn't actually finish it, I've only heard good things), Jason Momoa was amazing in it; to destroy all of that simply to conform to some weak perception of racism is quite sad and unnecessary. Yeah, if there's a native american Tom Cruise, go ahead and place him. But if it's some native american art student who took a couple acting classes in community college between dealing cards, don't put him in that role. :colbert:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 24, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ravane I know your gimmick is being just unbelievably stupid but there are not two races, white and not, and it's racist to say that it's fine for any race to play any other non white race.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

hope and vaseline posted:

Man, with X-Files and Twin Peaks returning, are we hitting peak 90s nostalgia yet?
As an actual 90s kid, this 90s nostalgia trip is stupid. Also they should be re-issuing old toys from the 90s if we're gonna go full retard here.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

It's not going to get much better than this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3551096/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I want Alf back. In pog form.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Ravane I know your gimmick is being just unbelievably stupid but there are not two races, white and not, and it's racist to say that it's fine for any race to play any other non white race.

I think he put a little more effort into that fakepost and the payoff was supposed to be the last sentence being super racist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Weirdly enough, Arrow's Stephen Amell has decided to make his own web series about his side venture winery called "Dudes Being Dudes in Wine Country."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

it's racist to say that it's fine for any race to play any other non white race.

Agreed. Its racist to say it, but since non-whites are incapable of racism, its perfect fine when and if it does happen.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Weirdly enough, Arrow's Stephen Amell has decided to make his own web series about his side venture winery called "Dudes Being Dudes in Wine Country."

This better have shirtless training montages.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

I think you misunderstood me. There's no gimmick here.

It's not racist for a brown race to play another brown race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzelrlH_pjQ

^ It's not racist for this black guy to play an indian doctor.

If two people are of similar skin color (AKA Indians and Native Americans and Hispanics, etc) then yes, they can act as another ethnicity. I say this as A PERSON OF COLOR. Note: I'm not white Zoux. I don't loving need to shame people into inadvertently thinking they're racist when they're not. Now if a white guy plays a brown guy, or vice-versa, and it's not a joke, then yes it is racist. But even that's fine as long as they don't act like a complete stereotype.

If you are ethnically ambiguous, who cares where you're from. It's not racist. Racism implies prejudice. If they denied an actor who's equal in talent to another actor, based on his race (even though they're the same skin color) that's racism, though really complicated and idiotic.

Indian actors get transposed for Middle Eastern characters ALL THE TIME. Is that racist? No, it's not. And that's something that nobody argues about on this site, so don't argue when the exact same thing happens here. It's not racist. If they're qualified actors and they fit the character's description, who gives a poo poo about their ethnicity?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 24, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This better have shirtless training montages.

How do you think he crushes the grapes?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Don't forget Boy Meets World had a spinoff launch last year!

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

When the frosted tips return, only then shall the prophecy will be fulfilled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

When the frosted tips return, only then shall the prophecy will be fulfilled.

Here's the breaking of the first seal.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ravane posted:

I think you misunderstood me. There's no gimmick here.

It's not racist for a brown race to play another brown race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzelrlH_pjQ

^ It's not racist for this black guy to play an indian doctor.

If two people are of similar skin color (AKA Indians and Native Americans and Hispanics, etc) then yes, they can act as another ethnicity. I say this as A PERSON OF COLOR. Note: I'm not white Zoux. I don't loving need to shame people into inadvertently thinking they're racist when they're not. Now if a white guy plays a brown guy, or vice-versa, and it's not a joke, then yes it is racist. But even that's fine as long as they don't act like a complete stereotype.

If you are ethnically ambiguous, who cares where you're from. It's not racist. Racism implies prejudice. If they denied an actor who's equal in talent to another actor, based on his race (even though they're the same skin color) that's racism, though really complicated and idiotic.

Indian actors get transposed for Middle Eastern characters ALL THE TIME. Is that racist? No, it's not. And that's something that nobody argues about on this site, so don't argue when the exact same thing happens here. It's not racist. If they're qualified actors and they fit the character's description, who gives a poo poo about their ethnicity?

youre right

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
To be honest ravine is right here, e.g. Chinese play Japanese all the time, vice versa for example. White people play white people from other countries all the time etc. Sometimes the right actor for the role has the right look but maybe are a different ethnicity.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wandle Cax posted:

White people play white people from other countries all the time etc.

So racist

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Wandle Cax posted:

To be honest ravine is right here, e.g. Chinese play Japanese all the time, vice versa for example. White people play white people from other countries all the time etc. Sometimes the right actor for the role has the right look but maybe are a different ethnicity.

Thank you, and it's Ravane.

Take Heroes for example. The Korean actor (best friend of Hiro) plays a Japanese character. He actually learned the Japanese language proficiently for the role. The entire point of acting is to take on a role that isn't one's own persona. Is it racist to take on the visage of another ethnicity? Hell no. It's called acting. Get with the program Zoux, you're embarrassing yourself in TVIV.

The only problem is when it comes to something like Blackface, which is an overexaggeration of African features. That's racist. Why? Because everyone knows people of African descent don't look like that, it's merely intended to harm. And if that happens, it's racist. But the fact is that people do look similar enough to make that jump, and it's not racist to allow that, especially if they're well qualified actors.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

The only problem is when it comes to something like Blackface, which is an overexaggeration of African features. That's racist. Why? Because everyone knows people of African descent don't look like that, it's merely intended to harm. And if that happens, it's racist. But the fact is that people do look similar enough to make that jump, and it's not racist to allow that, especially if they're well qualified actors.

Unless you're in Norway and its Christmas-time, then its okay.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

Thank you, and it's Ravane.

Take Heroes for example. The Korean actor (best friend of Hiro) plays a Japanese character. He actually learned the Japanese language proficiently for the role. The entire point of acting is to take on a role that isn't one's own persona. Is it racist to take on the visage of another ethnicity? Hell no. It's called acting. Get with the program Zoux, you're embarrassing yourself in TVIV.

Just as long as it's still ok to hate the Welsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

muscles like this? posted:

I hope this is just like Oz and James drinking adventures.

• Locked thread