Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's something I always wondered about bass boats. Are they actually used for fishing, or just for farting around on the water? And if they are used for fishing, why do you need so much freakin' power? Do you need to, like, get right the gently caress over to the other end of the lake to punch the little buggers out of the air when you hear em jump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Locator posted:

Arizona - we have lakes on the Verde (Bartlett and Horseshoe) and Salt (Saguaro, Canyon, Apache, and Roosevelt), as well as Lake Pleasant on the Hassayampa. There are a stupid number of boats in the Phoenix area, and as noted above, it's not much of a drive to get to any of the Colorado river lakes.

Bass boats with multiple 2-300 HP engines are pretty common, or were when I was active in boating (which has been a while to be fair). I still see them on trailers pretty regular on the highway.

Oh cool, right.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Phy posted:

That's something I always wondered about bass boats. Are they actually used for fishing, or just for farting around on the water? And if they are used for fishing, why do you need so much freakin' power? Do you need to, like, get right the gently caress over to the other end of the lake to punch the little buggers out of the air when you hear em jump?
I was the service manager at a boat dealership for a few years, and we carried a couple lines of bass boats, mainly Ranger and Skeeter. There are basically three groups of people who buy these things:

1. Professional/Semi-Pro/Pro-Am fishermen. These guys absolutely hammer down and go balls out whenever they move from boat ramp to spot, spot to spot, and back in at the end of the day. They abuse all the poo poo on their boats and can and do break anything and everything on them. They use the power to get maximum fishing time.

2. "Tournament" fishermen. These are the guys who have normal jobs and fish tournaments on weekends. Varying level of success, but you wouldn't know it from looking at their gear. Many of these guys will have the same or even MORE gear than the pros, with two big differences. They don't break their poo poo, and they don't run their engines as hard. It was easy to spot them because when you put their engines on the diagnostic computers, they never showed to have more than about 5-10% of their total run time above ~70% of max RPM range.

3. Casual fishermen with money. These guys just liked to have the best of the best and would have the top of the line boat/engine. Most of these guys were pretty cool to deal with. It'd be like a car guy buying a Corvette Z06 or M3/4/6 and just putting to work in it day in/day out.

Also I don't know what The Locator is talking about with having multiple engines on a bass boat. I haven't even heard of that existing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also I don't know what The Locator is talking about with having multiple engines on a bass boat. I haven't even heard of that existing.

As a non-fisherman, every boat with that sort of center console and everything else 'open' is a bass boat to me. I'm probably completely wrong.

I lump everything that's obviously supposed to be a 'fishing boat' into that category I suppose - like this thing:

Which I suppose isn't really a bass boat at all, but there are a huge number of variations of this type of boat, and I've seen a bunch of them around (although most around here aren't that large).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Open-ocean center consoles like that have as much in common with bass boats as an eighteen wheeler does with a Toyota Hilux.

They're both trucks, and...

Nope, that's it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The boat here is def used for fishing, I saw the guy go out two or three times fishing. His dumb boat has 45x the horsepower of my sailboat, hah.

It's amazing to me how many people here have a hugely expensive boat that they touch maybe twice a summer. My dock has a large liveaboard community (maybe 50%) so it's even worse in other marinas!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Alctel posted:

The boat here is def used for fishing, I saw the guy go out two or three times fishing. His dumb boat has 45x the horsepower of my sailboat, hah.

It's amazing to me how many people here have a hugely expensive boat that they touch maybe twice a summer. My dock has a large liveaboard community (maybe 50%) so it's even worse in other marinas!

You should see some of the marinas in False Creek. Burrard Civic is like 50% full of these green-tinged hulks that look like they haven't left the slip within the 21st century, and so much bottom growth that it's a miracle they haven't gone straight to the bottom yet. I know it's cheap there, but goddamn, it would really be nice if the city gave the worst offenders the boot so that the waiting list wasn't over two years long. :psyduck:

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I got the Annapolis Book of Seamanship for Christmas and.... holy poo poo what an incredible book! Especially if you love pictures and diagrams. It seems to cover just about.... everything.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Due to the home owners association where I live feeling that having a boat in your driveway is somehow tacky, I have to store my boat in a large fenced in area. Some of the boats in there haven't moved more than 2-3 times in a decade, but probably the worst offender is the tiny 17ft sailboat that is assigned the spot next to me. It is completely falling apart and every time I go to check on my stuff, I have to pick up pieces of their boat that have been torn off by storms and thrown over onto mine. I'm just amazed they're paying for insurance, tags and such for what is at this point a complete wreck.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

Elmnt80 posted:

Due to the home owners association where I live feeling that having a boat in your driveway is somehow tacky, I have to store my boat in a large fenced in area. Some of the boats in there haven't moved more than 2-3 times in a decade, but probably the worst offender is the tiny 17ft sailboat that is assigned the spot next to me. It is completely falling apart and every time I go to check on my stuff, I have to pick up pieces of their boat that have been torn off by storms and thrown over onto mine. I'm just amazed they're paying for insurance, tags and such for what is at this point a complete wreck.

Pretend its a car. v:v:v

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I can't post anything more than publicity photos, but I think a SSN in drydock counts as Nautical Insanity.

Or a rudder off a CVN:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd say cramming people into a pressurized metal tube at the bottom of the ocean counts. Were you working the sub?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Can anybody who has made large boat purchases in the past talk about boat financing? I assume you can get something similar to a mortgage, like you would a house? Because house prices here in Seattle are basically the same as a new ~45ft catamaran.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The annual moorage, liveaboard or otherwise, for a 45ft catamaran in Seattle would likely exceed any reasonable mortgage payments by a significant amount.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Can anybody who has made large boat purchases in the past talk about boat financing? I assume you can get something similar to a mortgage, like you would a house? Because house prices here in Seattle are basically the same as a new ~45ft catamaran.
At the shop I worked at, 10-15 year loans were normal for boats in the low $20k range and up, and when you got to stuff that was over like $100k, if you had the credit you could get up to 30 years.

And financing is a lot more strict for boat purchases. Lots of people came in and assumed they could finance a boat because they could finance a car and house, but their debt to income was all hosed up or whatever else, and they couldn't do it even though their credit score was decent.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Rime posted:

The annual moorage, liveaboard or otherwise, for a 45ft catamaran in Seattle would likely exceed any reasonable mortgage payments by a significant amount.
Who said I was planning to keep it in Seattle?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Well it was queried as an alternative to owning a house there, so assumptions were made. :shrug:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Rime posted:

Well it was queried as an alternative to owning a house there, so assumptions were made. :shrug:
Understandable. No, I know it would be much more expensive, it was more of a comparison--I can either pay for a house in Seattle or I can be paying for the boat while I sail it around the world. Obviously the boat would cost a lot more in maintenance and upkeep than the house. :)

I figure if I budget about USD$100k/year to living expenses and boat maintenance while sailing around the world it would be appropriate for a ~45-ft catamaran. Those go new for (depending on the model and manufacturer) USD$400-850k, and I think I can get a relatively new one in good condition for $300-500k, possibly less.

That's a lot of money and it isn't easy but it's at least a target to go for. :)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 28, 2014

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd say cramming people into a pressurized metal tube at the bottom of the ocean counts. Were you working the sub?

Not that one. I started working at the yard just as they were finishing up. Getting to see that in completed form next to another that was just completely torn apart was a neat experience.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0ve18j0TQ

Have some roadkill playing with boats! :toot:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

On the subject of jet boats, this will forever be one of the most insane forms of motorsport to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv0pI_9JqaU

That sort of stuff is mental.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Like an idiot, I started scraping yesterday. So now I'm committed to a hundred hours of knuckle-breaking, arm-destroying tedious work this spring. And that's before the sanding, priming and painting.

:barf:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Apparently part of my delivery area for O'Reillys is going to cover all the marinas and such in my area. Should be good times.

Neslepaks posted:

Like an idiot, I started scraping yesterday. So now I'm committed to a hundred hours of knuckle-breaking, arm-destroying tedious work this spring. And that's before the sanding, priming and painting.

:barf:

Oh god. How long is it and how long do you think its gonna take you?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I've enlisted the help of one of my friends to come and help me get all the old bottom paint off of my boat. I dont think it's been done for many many years.

Luckily I've been able to rent some kind of machine from the harbour master to help, but I have no idea how it works. I guess it's just a scraper/sander with a sucker on it or something.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to be installing some new windows.
And fixing the toilet.
And installing a chartplotter/sounder.
And a new table for the cockpit.
And ofcourse servicing the engine.
And installing the mast for the first time.
And maybe try sewing my ancient mainsail.
And try to rig up some lazyjacks.
And fixing some of the electrics.
An:suicide:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah, my plan is to handscrape it first then sand it lightly with a machine to get the rest off. I hope I can enlist some friends too, or this is gonna take forever.

The bottom paint was flaking right down to the gelcoat, and that just doesn't seem right. I don't think they sanded the gelcoat before priming it, whoever did this last time, because it's completely shiny under there, I can see my reflection in the areas I've scraped. So the primer presumably had no good hold.

Elmnt80: it's 24'.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
How old is it? Gelcoat takes years to cure. That's why some of the most sturdy sailboats you'll find are J24s that sat in a warehouse for a year or two after the production boom in the early 80s before being purchased. Generally, in the last few decades, gelcoat durability has taken a hit because fiberglass shops will literally pop it out of the mold, coat it, then, prime it/finish/etc.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Scraping saga, day 2.

There's good news and bad. I didn't make much progress down the side but I cleaned up the area I'd been working on a lot. I bought a nice electric multitool with a scraping attachment in the hopes I could speed it up that way, but it was useless. The good news is I also bought a more expensive hand scraper with a hard-metal edge that works 10 times better than the first one. I'm guessing I'm 1/5th down one side at this point. Trying to avoid injuries to the gelcoat but I'm bound to have to go over with some filler before priming.

2-3 hours seems to be all I can manage at a time before I get too many cramps and pains and have to go home and drink beer. Hoping I can manage some longer sessions during Easter. Maybe if I bring the beer with me?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We made it four pages without someone bringing up the Glomar Explorer?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSF_Explorer

quote:

GSF Explorer, formerly USNS Hughes Glomar Explorer (T-AG-193), is a deep-sea drillship platform initially built for the United States Central Intelligence Agency Special Activities Division secret operation Project Azorian to recover the sunken Soviet submarine K-129, lost in April 1968.[2][3]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aBk8H0Goic

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 24, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

We made it four pages without someone bringing up the Glomar Explorer?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aBk8H0Goic

The movie that video is taken from is Worth Your loving Time. Seriously.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

SuperDucky posted:

How old is it? Gelcoat takes years to cure. That's why some of the most sturdy sailboats you'll find are J24s that sat in a warehouse for a year or two after the production boom in the early 80s before being purchased. Generally, in the last few decades, gelcoat durability has taken a hit because fiberglass shops will literally pop it out of the mold, coat it, then, prime it/finish/etc.
When I was the service manager at the boat dealership, there were a shitload of people who had spider cracks in their gelcoat. A lot of them were under warranty because the boats were a year old or less, and the manufacturers were MOSTLY good about covering them. The local repair shop would grind out the whole area and re-finish, and they actually did a really great job and we never had any comeback work from them. Air voids are also a really common problem, where you get a small air bubble that the gelcoat is applied over, and when it's popped out of the mold, once something hits that area, or just stress from the boat's normal use, the gel will pop and there will literally be a little hole in the boat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

The movie that video is taken from is Worth Your loving Time. Seriously.

Yup, that is why I referenced that video.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Neslepaks posted:

Scraping saga, day 2.

I'm assuming you have already but if not, power wash. That will knock a lot off, then scrape loose stuff with a spackle knife, and use a power sander. Also get a good respirator, not a paper dust mask. Bottom coats filled with all sorts of fun stuff.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, that is why I referenced that video.

Looks like it's on Amazon instant video, too.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

I really like what the new SWATH and fast cat designs have done in regards to broadening the performance envelope but god do they look ugly to me.

Like a modern yacht sitting in a dry-dock.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

All I can ever think of is the stealth boat from that one bond movie when I see a picture of one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I remember 20-25 years ago I had a book about "future technology" which said that soon all large cruise ships would be catamaran designs because they were more stable in the water and passengers wouldn't get seasick. :v:

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

All I can ever think of is the stealth boat from that one bond movie when I see a picture of one.

Sea Shadow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shadow_(IX-529)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Deeters posted:

Or a rudder off a CVN:

Oh hey... I work there.

I can't post anything but publicity photos too, but here's the ship I'm currently working on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

-Anders posted:

I've enlisted the help of one of my friends to come and help me get all the old bottom paint off of my boat. I dont think it's been done for many many years.

Luckily I've been able to rent some kind of machine from the harbour master to help, but I have no idea how it works. I guess it's just a scraper/sander with a sucker on it or something.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to be installing some new windows.
And fixing the toilet.
And installing a chartplotter/sounder.
And a new table for the cockpit.
And ofcourse servicing the engine.
And installing the mast for the first time.
And maybe try sewing my ancient mainsail.
And try to rig up some lazyjacks.
And fixing some of the electrics.
An:suicide:

So RE: all of the above.
I've been scraping and sanding the bottom for three days during the easter holidays. I still need to get the last half of the boat sanded - and then it's on to priming and getting some antifowling on there.
We did manage to get the new windows installed though, they just need a bit of finish work and then they should be good to go.
And then there's still the rest of all that stuff up on the list there. :ohdear:

Anyway, I made a video about my progress and put it up on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJUra_Zf7ss